Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Game Sharing Planned?

A thread on NeoGAF notes some code in the new Steam beta suggesting Valve is planning to allow Steam users to select games to share with a circle of friends. This is confirmed on Kotaku, where they say Valve has not yet responded to the report (not a shock since their story went up at 3:00 am on the west coast). Here is the code in question:

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

26. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 12:42 jacobvandy

It might be more likely that this will be another option for publishers to promote their games, similar to a free weekend. Make it available for sharing for a short period, so people try it for free and Valve gets to mix it into their social network shit, by giving out a badge for sharing X games with friends. I guarantee that will lead to completionists buying sharable games SOLELY to earn the badge(s), so Valve would almost be double-dipping then.

But yeah, I doubt you'd be able to freely choose which games you want to share with no restrictions except that no two people can be playing it at the same time... Like others on here, I have hundreds of games I don't currently have installed, so that's a lot of potential free-loading in lieu of actually buying games. They'd have to at least limit it to one slot for a shared game at a time, and maybe give you a few more as a reward for leveling up.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 12:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 12:34 J

Knowing my luck, all I'll get is nin trying to share snuggle truck with me  

24. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 11:40 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:28:
Just think, if we can get Prez in here, we could all play for free.

Hehehe. Valve will undoubtedly make a Prez rule where it specifically states "User Prez is exempted from being allowed to share games."

Creston

23. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 11:38 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:49:
To be fair though, I have a Steam category called Mistakes filled with games I didn't care for and gave up on in the first few hours that other people might love. It's a shame not being able to share or give those away.

Mine is called "Zzzzz...boring."

Creston

22. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 11:35 Creston

Valve was like "you mean the TVBox does one thing better than us? FUCK THAT NOISE!"

Creston

21. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 11:01 Pigeon

coldcut wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:43:
NeOCidE wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:42:
Maybe it's just me and I can't seem to think outside the box, but what do Valve gain from this? Besides the potential for lost sales?
Customer satisfaction?

Sounds comparable to a demo, maybe the idea is to get people interested in the games their friends are playing to sell more. I can only really see this strategy working for certain kinds of games, like multi-player/co-op games. Financially it makes little sense for single player games, unless they're new.

They could probably easily limit what games this feature is availble for.

20. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:49 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:41:
Might also have something to do with more recent EU ruling on game sales/trading that Steam got hit with.

That ruling doesn't actually have anything to do with retailers online or otherwise. It says you have a right to transfer your copy (in the EU), and that developers and publishers have no legal claim to stop it, but doesn't mandate that third parties, like Valve, provide you a mechanism for doing so.

It'll be a cold day in hell before we see unrestricted "used" games sales on Steam. After 3 days, there would be enough "used" licenses in circulation to keep people from ever buying new. I mean who the hell is going to add a game to their Steam list for $50 when they can add it for $20-30.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:42 Efflixi

I have over 200 games on steam, i play less than 10 of them. It's not that i don't like them (some of them i don't like, but most i do), it's just finding time and the gumption to actually play 200+ games!  

18. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Might also have something to do with more recent EU ruling on game sales/trading that Steam got hit with.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:40 InBlack

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:28:

lol

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:28 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:26 SpectralMeat

NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:21:
And like I said, there are probably going to be a lot of restrictions on the Steam version as well. The odds of this being a free-for-all are slim to none.
For sure, but to be honest I have much higher hopes for Valve to make this work the most consumer friendly way possible as opposed to Microsoft.
Either way I am excited for this. I think it would lead to more game sales at the end of the day.
Kind of like those free game weekends where they let you play a game for free.

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:21 NKD

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:15:
NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:08:
Xbone announced game sharing at E3.
Did you also see the restrictions that comes with it?
That's more like no sharing

And like I said, there are probably going to be a lot of restrictions on the Steam version as well. The odds of this being a free-for-all are slim to none.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:15 SpectralMeat

NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:08:
Did you also see the restrictions that comes with it?
That's more like no sharing

12. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:14 avianflu

Hopefully that will mean a mandatory steam client update when I am on my laptop and on metered data.  

11. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:08 NKD

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:52:
It would be funny if even Steam would beat Microsoft over the head with the game sharing
Xbone the only system that doesn't allow you to share your games with friends!

Anyway, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Not until we see what the restrictions are going to be. I doubt it's going to be a free for all where every game can be shared, and I also doubt that they are going to permit people to game the system in such a way that you have massive sharing collectives where there is always a copy available and you never have to buy anything again.

I think the idea is that this game sharing will get people spending more time on Steam, and while they may not buy the game being shared, they may buy something else. There's a decent amount of money to be made in this idea I think.

But primarily it's just about keeping up with the Xbones and the PS4s, which let you share games.

10. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:52 SpectralMeat

It would be funny if even Steam would beat Microsoft over the head with the game sharing
Xbone the only system that doesn't allow you to share your games with friends!

9. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:49 NeOCidE

Thanks for the heads-up guys....maybe not a bad move after all
I'm just not used to companies going out of their way to please customers these days I guess

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

8. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:49 Verno

Oh you would be surprised, we're home to more than a few grognards who bitch about that stuff still despite getting their games for $5 or whatever

To be fair though, I have a Steam category called Mistakes filled with games I didn't care for and gave up on in the first few hours that other people might love. It's a shame not being able to share or give those away.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

7. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:47 NeOCidE

coldcut wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:43:
NeOCidE wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:42:
Maybe it's just me and I can't seem to think outside the box, but what do Valve gain from this? Besides the potential for lost sales?
Customer satisfaction?

True, however didn't they have that in abundance already? I mean, I wasn't really aware of any community displeasure at Steam not having this functionality in the first place.

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo