Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Game Sharing Planned?

A thread on NeoGAF notes some code in the new Steam beta suggesting Valve is planning to allow Steam users to select games to share with a circle of friends. This is confirmed on Kotaku, where they say Valve has not yet responded to the report (not a shock since their story went up at 3:00 am on the west coast). Here is the code in question:

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

46. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:48 Verno

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 14:41:
Except X1 WILL allow you to share games. Freaking LOL, people love just parrot off without thinking.

I think his point wasn't that the Xbox One wouldn't let you share games, just that it will require about a million asterisks attached. Microsoft itself isn't very clear on the details, there's a lot of back and forth going around about what qualifies as a friend, what kind of sharing can be done (SP vs MP games) and if it's even intended for anything but family.

Anyways it's too early to say how anything will compare, I doubt the publishers would allow Steam to do too much, much of Steams protection is based on publisher demand.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 15:14.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:48 Axis

NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 14:38:
Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 14:36:
Truth is Valve is the only AAA company doing anything good for gamers these days.

So you haven't purchased any non-Valve games recently?

Not a single one, and not for a very long time (last purchase was the THQ selloff, and havent fired any of em up yet) -- though I meant more in innovation than just some gameplay formula. I play TF2, Dota2, PoE, quakelive, and plenty of indies.

Games I'm interested in playing in the future are Cardhunter, the new oldschool M&M, Castlestory, and the new wasteland.

Yours truly,

Axis

44. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:45 Rattlehead

Truth is Valve is the only AAA company doing anything good for gamers these days.
What about CD Project Red? Their service is a billion times better than Steam and they are pretty much the only place to get old games that have been out of circulation for a long ass time.

43. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:41 Rattlehead

zombiefan wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 14:33:
Ha!

Former employee leaves Microsoft and creates Steam and and corners digital content delivery market. Microsoft wants to emulate Steam by releasing the Xbox1 and steal Steam's thunder, but won't allow users to share games. Steam then offers new ability to share games with friends.

Do you feel that Microsoft? It's Gabe's dick going straight up your ass.

Too goddamn funny.

Except X1 WILL allow you to share games. Freaking LOL, people love just parrot off without thinking.

42. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:38 NKD

So you haven't purchased any non-Valve games recently?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

41. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:36 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

40. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:33 zombiefan

Ha!

Former employee leaves Microsoft and creates Steam and and corners digital content delivery market. Microsoft wants to emulate Steam by releasing the Xbox1 and steal Steam's thunder, but won't allow users to share games. Steam then offers new ability to share games with friends.

Do you feel that Microsoft? It's Gabe's dick going straight up your ass.

Too goddamn funny.

39. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:12 Rattlehead

This is pure speculation on my behalf but to me it will go like this.

Judging from the code, this basically gives up the license to play your game while someone else borrows it. Kind of like a free weekend but with any game in your library. After a certain number of time that game locks you, returning the game to the original owner.

Another theory I have is:
Valve would designate certain times which your games can be shared, like a free weekend, though that doesn't seem as practical as the first.

38. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:11 Pigeon

I tend to wait for games I want to go on sale, but if I started playing one on a limited share I can easily see my will power slipping. That's where I see the value of doing something like this. Well, value for the publishers at least, bad value for me

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 13:38:
In the words of The Dude, "Well this is fucking interesting, man." Hell, they could even charge a nominal fee for it of $1-$10 depending on the game and people would have no problem paying it.

Something like a $5 fee (or like 5-10% of the regular price), but if you turned around and bought the game yourself, you'd get that money applied towards your purchase.

The publishers would probably see more purchases, and you could try a $50 game for a few hours and decide if it's really worth the cost.

37. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:10 mch

In before Snuggle Truck....dammit.

This would be great though, I really hope they come through with it. I've got a ton of games I'm not playing, not to mention the ones I haven't even found time to play

PSN: CaseDesignate

36. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:08 Ratty

Pigeon wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:01:
Sounds comparable to a demo
Just what I was thinking since demos seem to have died out in the last few years. Though I always suspected it was so publishers could over-hype games without users finding out via demo what a load of bullshit it all turned out to be. I'm sure the sharing option would be subject to publisher approval. Yeah, I'd pay a couple of bucks to participate in something like that, especially since it would be so easy and transparent on Steam.

35. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:38 nin

In the words of The Dude, "Well this is fucking interesting, man." Hell, they could even charge a nominal fee for it of $1-$10 depending on the game and people would have no problem paying it.

Something like a $5 fee (or like 5-10% of the regular price), but if you turned around and bought the game yourself, you'd get that money applied towards your purchase.

The publishers would probably see more purchases, and you could try a $50 game for a few hours and decide if it's really worth the cost.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:30 Ruffiana

There's any number of games that I would never buy. But if a friend or coworker's really into something, shares it so I can try it out, I might end up buying a copy for myself.

Particularly if it's some kind of multiplayer/co-op game.

33. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:23 Cutter

In the words of The Dude, "Well this is fucking interesting, man." Hell, they could even charge a nominal fee for it of $1-$10 depending on the game and people would have no problem paying it. AThey should have actually pushed for this long ago. Anyway, as others have said let's just see if it actually happens first.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

32. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:06 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 12:52:
Efflixi wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:42:
I have over 200 games on steam, i play less than 10 of them. It's not that i don't like them (some of them i don't like, but most i do), it's just finding time and the gumption to actually play 200+ games!

I have the same problem, but I could see myself passing over unplayed games if someone wanted to lend me Dishonored or something else I haven't gotten around to buying yet.

I have pretty much the same problem, but I've begun a system to start cutting down on that number. For every new game I now buy, I have to play two from my backlogged Steam list and either finish it or declare it shit and move it to the zzzz...boring category.

Works great so far. (and actually, games that I plan to play once just to finish them turn out to be awesome and I wind up playing them for like 70, 80 hours (LotR War in the North was one such game.)

Creston

31. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:03 Creston

Slashman wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 12:53:
J wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 12:34:
Knowing my luck, all I'll get is nin trying to share snuggle truck with me

Yeah. Anybody who tries to share Snuggle Truck with me...well...there's going to be trouble!

Don't you guys have Snuggle Truck yet? Hmmm...

*makes note*

Creston

30. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 13:02 saluk

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:49:
To be fair though, I have a Steam category called Mistakes filled with games I didn't care for and gave up on in the first few hours that other people might love. It's a shame not being able to share or give those away.

Mine is called "Zzzzz...boring."

Creston

Haha min'es just zzzz. Alphabetical sorting

29. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 12:55 jdreyer

I thought of another benefit: I could play some Steam game online, while the kids play another. I think right now if we want to play more than one game simultaneously one of us has to go into offline mode.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 12:53 Slashman

J wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 12:34:
Knowing my luck, all I'll get is nin trying to share snuggle truck with me

Yeah. Anybody who tries to share Snuggle Truck with me...well...there's going to be trouble!

27. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 12:52 jdreyer

Efflixi wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:42:
I have over 200 games on steam, i play less than 10 of them. It's not that i don't like them (some of them i don't like, but most i do), it's just finding time and the gumption to actually play 200+ games!

I have the same problem, but I could see myself passing over unplayed games if someone wanted to lend me Dishonored or something else I haven't gotten around to buying yet.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo