Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 19:30 Julio

If my PS3 bricks, it's emulating an Xbox One.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 17:07 Yosemite Sam

avianflu wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 14:25:
I am fairly sure that not auto-logging in will *not* stop the PS3 from looking for a system update. If your console is online, it looks every-time at startup. I know this because I do not auto login.

I'm POSITIVE that it does not check for updates unless you log onto the PSN.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 15:33 Verno

Yeah save locking in general sucks, whether its for the profile (Xbox) or the console (Sony/Nintendo). If people want to cheat who gives a shit.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 15:23 Cyanotetyphas

Ugh Demon Souls was locked to the console. I had one PS3 that lost the bluray drive (possibly due to a firmware update but never confirmed, could have just been the laser dying coincidentally) in the middle of a demon souls playthrough, probably at least 70% through my first run. Backup of everything and brought it over to discover that the one game I was playing didn't work. Bleh. Probably to prevent boosting armories since there was an online component but it should have at least just been linked to the PSN account.

Of course I went on the beat it 4 more times

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 14:40 Verno

That's some weird PSN save locking thing that Sony implemented for the PS3 that wasn't well received, I never saw it on more than a handful of titles. Some games were locked to your console, some to your PSN id. There was a game that was region locked for the PS3 as well, I forget which one but oh well. The PS3 in general was a mishmash of poorly executed concepts, it's amazing it managed to do so well. Stating that the PS4 won't be able to do those things based on it is pretty silly, they have a twitter account they actively respond to so if you have some concerns just ask for clarification.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 14:45.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 14:29 avianflu

specifically you get the message "you may not save in this same until you apply the system update." For all I know, this only applies to some ps store games and not all. Perhaps only ps store games with a multiplayer components? That's another guess.

These days, I just leave the ps3 off line and problem solved.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 14:25 avianflu

try saving your progress in "super stardust" when there is a new firmware system update. That happens every flippin time there is another ps3 system update. I suspect there is some anti-cracking reason that SONY has for doing this but that is just a guess.

There were 2 other PS store games where "you cannot save" happened, but I cannot recall atm. btw I dont ever save to the cloud so it cannot be that reason.

I am fairly sure that not auto-logging in will *not* stop the PS3 from looking for a system update. If your console is online, it looks every-time at startup. I know this because I do not auto login.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 14:22 Verno

avianflu wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 13:47:
the biggest irritation with ps4 updates is that if you refuse the update, you can play your PS Store-bought games, but not save your progress. Which is b.s.

The only solution is to disable the internet before your turn on the ps4 so it doesnt see the update.

Did you mean PS3 updates? Also you can save your progress without being logged into PSN, not sure what you're talking about here.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 14:10 Yosemite Sam

avianflu wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 13:47:
the biggest irritation with ps4 updates is that if you refuse the update, you can play your PS Store-bought games, but not save your progress. Which is b.s.

The only solution is to disable the internet before your turn on the ps4 so it doesnt see the update.

... or you could simply, you know, not log onto the PSN. Im setup so I dont automatically logon when I enter my profile... and WTF are you talking about, I play my PS bought games offline all the time and have no issues saving my progress.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 13:47 avianflu

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 13:22 nin

I probably use the term too liberally.

Like I said, it wasn't aimed at you, there were plenty of folks elsewhere last night using it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 12:58 jacobvandy

It's just another case of a word being overused by dumb ignorant people who don't quite know what it means, and then other ignorant people hear it and regurgitate it and so over time it changes meaning.  

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 12:52 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 12:12:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:58:
Speaking of bad press: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

This isn't bad press, launch games are almost always glorified ports due to lack of more advanced dev tools and optimization is done in the final stages of development anyway. It takes devs awhile to get to know the platforms. I don't really expect all Xbox One games to run at 60fps either.

Most devs in general will probably shoot for stable 1080p/30+ fps with details as opposed to 60fps without all of the glitz because that's what a lot of gamers unfortunately identify with. I'm pretty much ok with that since last gen many games were uprezzed to 720p and still had horrendous framerates and tearing.

There was a great article yesterday, I think on TheVerge, showing graphics from similar 360 games over time. So you'd have GUN, nearly a launch game, compared to RDR, from 2010, compared to Call of Juarez. Or MoH2 compared to MW3.

Huge, huge leaps in quality, though mostly over the first 4 years and incremental thereafter.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 12:29 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:48:
A USB thumbdrive with a working version of the OS, like 4.41 for example, is fixing the problem for those that were capable enough to upgrade their hard drive and are capable enough to roll back their OS.

Yeah, I'm a little confused why people are calling this "bricking" (no offense to Creston, I saw people using the same term on other sites last night to describe it). To me, a bricked console is one that cannot be fixed by the end user, and has to be sent in for service.

Granted, this doesn't make the issue any more acceptable - it still shouldn't be happening. But I'd much rather be able to roll back via USB than have to ship it off.

Fair enough, I probably use the term too liberally. To me a console that doesn't boot after an update is bricked, but I guess it's reasonably easy to fix. Still, for most users that easy to fix thing is a no-go.

Creston

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 12:12 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 11:58:
Speaking of bad press: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

This isn't bad press, launch games are almost always glorified ports due to lack of more advanced dev tools and optimization is done in the final stages of development anyway. It takes devs awhile to get to know the platforms. I don't really expect all Xbox One games to run at 60fps either.

Most devs in general will probably shoot for stable 1080p/30+ fps with details as opposed to 60fps without all of the glitz because that's what a lot of gamers unfortunately identify with. I'm pretty much ok with that since last gen many games were uprezzed to 720p and still had horrendous framerates and tearing.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 HorrorScope

It's not going to end because all systems that have system level updates for them a % will always fail. Always.  

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 11:58 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 11:52 Pigeon

I guess they've had too much good press lately and had to do something to remind people they're still Sony.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 11:48 nin

A USB thumbdrive with a working version of the OS, like 4.41 for example, is fixing the problem for those that were capable enough to upgrade their hard drive and are capable enough to roll back their OS.

Yeah, I'm a little confused why people are calling this "bricking" (no offense to Creston, I saw people using the same term on other sites last night to describe it). To me, a bricked console is one that cannot be fixed by the end user, and has to be sent in for service.

Granted, this doesn't make the issue any more acceptable - it still shouldn't be happening. But I'd much rather be able to roll back via USB than have to ship it off.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 11:42 Creston

Another Sony Update, another update that bricks consoles. Sigh.

They really need to fucking figure this shit out for the PS4. I don't want to have to deal with another 150MB bios update every other fucking week.

Creston

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo