Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD

EA's upcoming Frostbite 3 engine will be optimized exclusively for AMD graphics cards, reports IGN, noting this may relate to AMD being the graphics chip supplier for all the next-generation consoles. According to their story: "Starting with the release of Battlefield 4, all current and future titles using the Frostbite 3 engine Need for Speed Rivals, Mirror's Edge 2, etc. will ship optimized exclusively for AMD GPUs and CPUs. While Nvidia-based systems will be supported, the company won't be able to develop and distribute updated drivers until after each game is released." This follows the earlier news that EA Sports' Ignite engine won't support PCs for the foreseeable future.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 20, 2013, 11:26 RollinThundr

I can't believe there's almost 60 post complaining about standard graphic card maker marketing. Oh wait it's an excuse to pile on EA, never mind carry on predictable BN posters.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Speaking about the trainwreck PhysX Jun 19, 2013, 18:00 eRe4s3r

I am surprised it's still alive actually. What's the point of USING a physics engine that can't be synched across clients and that requires a GPU of a certain make to run. No developer can use it for anything gameplay relevant because of it's limitations.. which is why everyone does it's own thing.  

53. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 12:33 Jerykk

ochentay4 wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:17:
Gib007 wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:28:
As long as this doesn't mean "if you don't own an AMD card, it will run like utter crap", then it's fine. I guess those with AMD cards totally equivalent to an NVIDIA counterpart (nothing is ever 100% equivalent either way) would get a handful more FPS.
I've never played a game optimized for AMD cards that run like shit on Nvidia. I cant say the same for games optimized for NVIDIA cards. Cryostasis is the perfect example. And PhysX is the most stupid thing on earth. Phisics engines should be integrated on DirectX/OpenGL and be available for all cards, including shitty cards like INTEL.

Tomb Raider had performance and stability issues on Nvidia cards at launch, though those were eventually ironed out.

Anyway, I can't see them maintaining this policy for very long. The majority of PC gamers use Nvidia, so it doesn't really make any sense to screw them over. If your games run like ass on Nvidia at launch, most PC gamers simply won't buy your games at launch.

52. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 10:17 ochentay4

Gib007 wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:28:
As long as this doesn't mean "if you don't own an AMD card, it will run like utter crap", then it's fine. I guess those with AMD cards totally equivalent to an NVIDIA counterpart (nothing is ever 100% equivalent either way) would get a handful more FPS.
I've never played a game optimized for AMD cards that run like shit on Nvidia. I cant say the same for games optimized for NVIDIA cards. Cryostasis is the perfect example. And PhysX is the most stupid thing on earth. Phisics engines should be integrated on DirectX/OpenGL and be available for all cards, including shitty cards like INTEL.

51. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 10:08 ochentay4

InBlack wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 03:36:
Ive got an Intel CPU and an AMD graphics card, the card before my current one was an Nvidia. I dont care about the marketing hype and bullshit. Im going where the price/performance ratio is optimal. Fanbois can go suck it.
Absolutely. I go for best price/performance ratio. Being a fanboy is for stupid people.

50. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 09:28 Gib007

49. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 09:22 Xero

Honestly, as annoying as this sounds, I'm cool with it. I mean I have an Nvidia card, I hate EA, but I love Battlefield. Sounds like a horrible marriage.

BUT, then you have to look at it this way. If Nvidia was the only manufacture out there producing the high end GPUs, they would become a monopoly that could dictate many things and generally the consumer always loses.

With competition, it keeps the competitors from getting alil too cocky for their own good and the consumers good...

Currently playing: Skyrim

48. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 09:17 Verno

That's actually not true, they go back and forth on heat, power draw and even driver quality. This generation will likely see even less distinction between them.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

47. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 09:13 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 03:22:
I haven't been keeping up with the graphics card wars but isn't AMD generally a better buy over Nvidia right now?

Fuck no. Titan > GTX 780 > GTX 770 > AMD 7970GE

And with nVidia you usually get better drivers, better compatibility, less power draw -> less heat -> less noise, more features (PhysX, Adaptive vSync, FXAA etc.) and just generally the MOAR AWSUM package!

46. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 08:59 fawker

All I'm hearing is that it's going to be a crappier game for Nvidia users for awhile.

What the fuck is this garbage.

45. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 08:58 Verno

This is probably because Nvidia has been shirking in their responsibility of dumping sackfuls of cash on EA lately.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

44. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 08:35 Dev

DangerDog wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 03:22:
I haven't been keeping up with the graphics card wars but isn't AMD generally a better buy over Nvidia right now?
They go back and forth. Usually whenever one company releases its next gen card, they take the title for a few months. Then the other company releases its next gen card, and they take the title.

This is actually a good thing, keeps them competing with each other.

43. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 08:31 Kosh401

It's a non-issue and just marketing as has been pointed out. That said, it's been a long time since AMD consistently put out bad drivers.

Anyway something like this shouldn't effect whether or not you end up getting a game. I'm stoked for BF4 with or without AMD cards or cpu's

42. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 06:05 Shteve

saluk wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 05:49:
The fifa engine thing IS total horseshit. The new consoles ARE fricken high end pcs. This is just a crappy ploy to artificially entice more console owners, because that market is easier to understand and control. Building the same game on two different engines? That's way more work than making sure the better engine will run on mid-range rigs.

Updating the team rosters of your last release, whilst adding 1 to its name is not that much work.

41. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 05:49 saluk

nvidia vs amd is a good thing guys. It means one big monopoly gfx chip maker can't just sit and stay shitty.

The exclusive optomization stuff is annoying, but this is one case where I don't really think ea is totally in the wrong. (Only mostly wrong) Actually nvidia is winning pcs right now, in like the last year or so; but with amds powering the consoles its not a long shot that they'll be ahead again next year.

So what if they dont update nvidia specific drivers for like a month, that very rarely is that important. I can't think of an EA title where it's made much of a difference. They should support everybody, but it's not that big of a deal.

I almost never update my video drivers for a specific game anyway. I only update them every six months to a year. Nvidia or amd; updating drivers is just too likely to break something.

The fifa engine thing IS total horseshit. The new consoles ARE fricken high end pcs. This is just a crappy ploy to artificially entice more console owners, because that market is easier to understand and control. Building the same game on two different engines? That's way more work than making sure the better engine will run on mid-range rigs.

40. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 05:46 RaZ0r!

Every dog has it's day.  

39. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 04:28 Jackplug

No surprise that EA's engine wont support pc's, probably runs too fast for it!
Only game I am looking at is Mirrors Edge 2, as for Battlefield 4 its is another dead game due to no mod tools so not worth purchasing!

38. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 03:36 InBlack

Ive got an Intel CPU and an AMD graphics card, the card before my current one was an Nvidia. I dont care about the marketing hype and bullshit. Im going where the price/performance ratio is optimal. Fanbois can go suck it.  

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 03:33 eRe4s3r

And I am betting that's all this is as well... nothing but PR and marketing. Reality will be that EA will work with Nvidia like usual when it comes to the PC release. They can't afford a game that doesn't work on 70%+ of all machines.  

36. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 03:22 DangerDog

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo