Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight

GOG.com announces their 2013 #noDRM Summer Sale is underway, where the discounted games come with no DRM, and a free hashtag to boot. This comes with a doorbuster, as for 48 hours they are offering a free copy of Torchlight, Runic Game's action/RPG. The 17-day sale includes 500 games on sale and will feature daily deals up to 85% off, and today they are offering 90% off on Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare and a special on all of their D&D titles, including Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, and Planescape: Torment. Here's their pitch on their anti-DRM stance and a summary of the sale:

In the last few months, there has been a lot of outcry from gamers over DRM and how it is changing our favorite form of entertainment. If it keeps growing, it may well take a large part of the fun out of gaming. As anti-DRM crusaders, we're very glad to see that the issue of restrictive digital rights management has become an item of public debate, and we want to make sure that our #NoDRM stance is clear. None of the games in our sale have DRM, and none of our games ever will.

Once again: More than 500 games 50% off until July 5. Daily Deals bringing the discount even up to 85%. Torchlight distributed as a free gift to all GOG.com users until Thursday, June 20, at 12:59PM GMT. We'll throw exciting offers at you daily, so consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube just to make sure you're not missing out. That's it! The 2013 #NoDRM Summer Sale is now on. Have fun and remember to support the #NoDRM movement on GOG.com and elsewhere!

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 19, 2013, 13:18 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 08:44:
Alpha Centauri for $3 is a no-brainer. It's better than all of the Civilization games.

Totally agree. Sci fi crack.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 19, 2013, 08:44 Mad Max RW

Alpha Centauri for $3 is a no-brainer. It's better than all of the Civilization games.  

29. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 19, 2013, 07:05 Julio

Ladron3dfx wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 06:13:
GOG.com, No DRM!, No Subscriptions, Play Offline Permanently, No Authentication Check. Worship

Love your logo!

28. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 19, 2013, 06:13 Ladron3dfx

None of the games in our sale have DRM, and none of our games ever will.

GOG.com, No DRM!, No Subscriptions, Play Offline Permanently, No Authentication Check. Worship

Torchlight - DRM Free! Thumbsup

Steamworks

27. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 19, 2013, 00:34 Dev

I dunno why we are discussing the internals of steam on a GOG thread, but anyway, how much integration steam has with a game is entirely up to the game's publisher. Some games on steam run without requiring steam at all (i.e. you can run the .exe directly from the folder and it won't require steam client to be started). Its rare, but they exist.
When running the .exe without having steam running, other games give errors, other games say they will run, but won't have the social integration (like leaderboards), etc.
I ran an experiment a while back and tried a bunch of steam games that way. I wrote up the details at the time I did it.

26. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 19:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 17:52:
Even after not playing most of those games for years, I still remember them backward and forward.
That's kinda the nice thing about games that make an impact. I must have played BG and BG2, 30 or 40 times each and I still find new and interesting things.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

25. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 18:20 Acleacius

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:57:
I'm not sure how Steam can "add" DRM to a GOG game, you'll still have the executable you downloaded from GOG you can install anytime you want.
My guess was games on Steam might require a certain functionality to run. Something like a Steam.dll or other which would need to be added to the directory to run on Steam.

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 17:08:
No, they might check the directory and files to verify it's not something pirated from Steam itself, but otherwise it would be taboo for Steam to modify an application released by someone else.
Gtk, thanks. As I mention above it was just a guess. I'm still a rookie to Steam, less than 2 years ago since Dead Island.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

24. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 17:52 Cutter

Even after not playing most of those games for years, I still remember them backward and forward.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 17:23 Yosemite Sam

Been wanting to grab Torchlight, this deal is going to finally get me to sign up! GOGME!

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

22. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 17:19 Julio

Have to love GOG, by far the best online game retailer. DRM free and loving it.  

21. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 17:08 Ludomancer

No, they might check the directory and files to verify it's not something pirated from Steam itself, but otherwise it would be taboo for Steam to modify an application released by someone else.

Acleacius wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:32:
Thanks for the sale!
It might cause Steam to add DRM to a GOG game, both Steam and GOG sell. You can always log into Steam, then run your nonSteam game, using the UI and Friends functions, without adding it to Steam.

20. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 16:57 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm not sure how Steam can "add" DRM to a GOG game, you'll still have the executable you downloaded from GOG you can install anytime you want.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

19. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 16:40 Orogogus

Acleacius wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:32:
Thanks for the sale!

Xero wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 15:34:
Is there anyway to link your bought games on gog to steam? lol, I prefer having a 1 stop app to all my games... If it were possible, I would consider this site's deals...
It might cause Steam to add DRM to a GOG game, both Steam and GOG sell. You can always log into Steam, then run your nonSteam game, using the UI and Friends functions, without adding it to Steam.

Realistically, it just would be a matter of providing a Steam key, like they do with the Witcher. As far as I know it's up to the developer or original publisher. A Google search showed that supposedly someone who bought Hotline Miami from GOG was able to email the developer and get a Steam key, but that's kind of open to abuse.

From their point of view I guess the risk is that the buyer gives away the Steam key and it ends up being a buy one get one free sale.

18. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 16:32 Acleacius

Thanks for the sale!

Is there anyway to link your bought games on gog to steam? lol, I prefer having a 1 stop app to all my games... If it were possible, I would consider this site's deals...

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

17. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 15:58 Drayth

You can't really link them, but you can set Steam to launch non-steam games after they're installed. The game will show up in the list along side your other Steam games.

You may be thinking of this in the wrong way though... Remember, NO DRM... you can just download all the games and store them locally forever. You can never worry about opening the GOG download client again for those games once you have them on your HD.

16. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 15:39 Orogogus

Only for the Witcher games, I think, since CD Projekt/GOG was the developer.

15. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 15:34 Xero

Currently playing: FarCry 4, Max Payne 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm Alpha, Battlefield 3, Outlast, Red Faction Guerrilla

14. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 15:33 TychoCelchuuu

Raven wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 15:28:
So, do GOG games ever get pulled from sale, and if so, do you still have access to them if you haven't downloaded them yet?

For example, on Steam you used to be able to buy Neverwinter Nights, but it has since been pulled from their store page. But if you bought it already, its still in your library and you can download it again whenever you want.
When XIII was being pulled from GOG.com they had a big announcement and told everyone to buy it if they wanted it because it wouldn't be sold any more, and of course you still have access - not only does GOG.com let you download stuff, all their games are DRM free.

13. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 15:28 Raven

So, do GOG games ever get pulled from sale, and if so, do you still have access to them if you haven't downloaded them yet?

For example, on Steam you used to be able to buy Neverwinter Nights, but it has since been pulled from their store page. But if you bought it already, its still in your library and you can download it again whenever you want.

12. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 15:21 jdreyer

Heh, first strike. GoG is outsteaming Steam!  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo