Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief E3 Presentation

A new video from GamesHQMedia offers the Thief presentation from E3 2013, showing the on-stage demonstration of the upcoming stealth/action reboot. The 30+ minute clip includes cinematics and gameplay footage, shot using the PlayStation 3 edition of the game, and is accompanied by a Q&A where Eidos Montreal lays out the vision for the game.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 08:43 apeman

Quinn wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 06:33:
What I do hope so very, very much is that they haven't tinkered with the lore of the Thief world too much. I really loved the mystic and religious touch to it.

Actually... scratch that:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/79782/thief-dev-answers-community-questions

Are the old non-City Watch factions going to return--such as the Pagans, Hammerites, and Keepers--if only to give life to The City?

Because it's a reinvention, we are not going back to the old factions. We want new factions. The last story didn't give us a lot of options. We wanted to take a step back and make sure we have everything right for a new, fresh experience within this universe. There may be some references back to keep the following happy, but it will be all new groups.

The two new factions are the Baron and he has The Watch. We also have a dissident group called the Raven. There is a political conflict that Garrett finds himself in the middle of. There will be characters associated with the group that will reveal themselves within the game.

crap

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 08:32 apeman

Quinn wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 06:33:
What I do hope so very, very much is that they haven't tinkered with the lore of the Thief world too much. I really loved the mystic and religious touch to it.

This! I loved discovering the history of the various factions, and the way the story unfolded, especially in the first game, was breathtaking - anyone remember the cut scene after the "Sword" mission in Constantine's manor?

13. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 06:33 Quinn

Cram wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 04:13:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 01:34:
This. These days, the need to create your own challenges is even more prevalent, given how ridiculously easy most games are.

This need, sir, has been a part of my gaming experience since I was 6 or 7 years old. Zelda 2 on the NES, 1989, easy as balls for me when it was released. I did the don't level life challenge, don't level magic challenge, don't level both life and magic challenge. Only challenge I never even bothered with was the don't level sword, life, magic challenge. Final Fantasy 1 NES, The beat the game without getting past lvl 15 challenge. Hell I did several single char only challenges. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, beat the game without dying challenges.

Jerykk is absolutely right. The game is the game, you make your own challenges. If the developers did their jobs half decently, the options should be there to make the game as impossibly hard as you want it to be.

Fair enough. However, I hope this game will have a reward system in place for being a ghost or a 'pacifist' (as in not killing anyone).. pretty much like DX:HR had. The headshot bonus came as a shock to me. I'm not saying I'm gonna end up shooting people in the face because I'm an XP whore.. but I would like some ingame reward for being a ghost/pacifist instead of 'roleplaying' that that is the reward in and of itself.

In other words, if the GAME recognizes you're making it hard on yourself by being a ghost (and not using focus, but that'd be too much to ask I guess) in context of the story and other rewards, then only trolls would disagree with you. I have to admit that after giving this clip another look, I've become more excited. Apart from the FOV, one-button takedowns and that horrible vignette when you're in the shadows.. there's really not much wrong with it.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

12. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 06:22 Quinn

The demo was played on a Playstation 4, not 3, Blues. At least that's what the guy in the clip said.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

11. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 04:13 Cram

Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 01:34:
This. These days, the need to create your own challenges is even more prevalent, given how ridiculously easy most games are.

This need, sir, has been a part of my gaming experience since I was 6 or 7 years old. Zelda 2 on the NES, 1989, easy as balls for me when it was released. I did the don't level life challenge, don't level magic challenge, don't level both life and magic challenge. Only challenge I never even bothered with was the don't level sword, life, magic challenge. Final Fantasy 1 NES, The beat the game without getting past lvl 15 challenge. Hell I did several single char only challenges. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, beat the game without dying challenges.

Jerykk is absolutely right. The game is the game, you make your own challenges. If the developers did their jobs half decently, the options should be there to make the game as impossibly hard as you want it to be.

10. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 01:34 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 15:38:
KS wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 11:21:
Can't watch it at work. Is there a "hard" mode where you can't kill anybody?

Just don't kill people?

I hate to sound like an old man, but back in my day we had to make our own challenges. Kill nobody, kill everybody, don't get seen, only use a paperclip and a roll of electrical tape, only use a 4 foot purple dildo, etc.

9. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 17:55 Cutter

siapnar wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:49:
Cram wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:29:
You can turn Focus off. No tutorials, instinct vision, uber aim powers, slow mo with weaknesses exposed, nothing. Can't speak for other games though.
Fair enough, but most older games didn't even have these types of hand-holding options in the first place. Either that, or they weren't showcased with them, they were just mentioned as additional difficulty features you can enable.

Yes, and sometimes that led to a confusing mess of 'Wtf is going on? What am I supposed to be doing?'

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 17:19 Cram

siapnar wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:49:
You can turn Focus off. No tutorials, instinct vision, uber aim powers, slow mo with weaknesses exposed, nothing. Can't speak for other games though.
Fair enough, but most older games didn't even have these types of hand-holding options in the first place. Either that, or they weren't showcased with them, they were just mentioned as additional difficulty features you can enable.

Agreed, no argument there at all. I miss those days too.

7. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 16:49 siapnar

I have projectile dysfunction.

6. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 16:29 Cram

siapnar wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 16:07:
Just don't kill people?

I hate to sound like an old man, but back in my day we had to make our own challenges. Kill nobody, kill everybody, don't get seen, only use a paperclip and a roll of electrical tape, only use a 4 foot purple dildo, etc.
Now everything is laid out with constant tutorials and "instinct" vision and other helpers.
How dependant are kids these days?

5. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 16:07 siapnar

Just don't kill people?

Now everything is laid out with constant tutorials and "instinct" vision and other helpers.
How dependant are kids these days?

I have projectile dysfunction.

4. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 15:38 NKD

Just don't kill people?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 12:58 Cram

No confirmation but I would imagine so. It is confirmed that you can completely turn Focus off, which should please the old school Thief players.

EDIT: The guy says you don't have to kill anyone in the game if you don't want to, and you can be a "perfect ghost" if that's your thing. They also acknowledge the console limitations that were put on Thief 3, and seem to want to take the game back to the more open and explorable environments of the Thief 1 and 2.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2013, 13:26.

2. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 11:38 fujiJuice

Yeah, for me it's called "using a controller".

1. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 18, 2013, 11:21 KS

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo