Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 14:49 LittleMe

Bodolza wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 14:23:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 14:06:
Oh for sure, but just giving up our rights because some in power want to go the totalitarian route isn't the answer either.

Lord forgive me for responding to TrollinThundr, but here we go.

This is a classic straw-man argument. Neither side supports this. Who on this board, or anywhere else, advocates doing nothing when rights are taken away? Even those that support the governments monitoring program say it's because it (debatably) follows due process as established in the Constitution. Do you really only see conservatives upset at government monitoring? Are you aware that the ACLU, who's entire mission is to uphold the constitution, is perceived as a leftist organization? Why do you insist on constantly saying stupid stuff like this?

You've also completely failed to address the issue being discussed, which is the libertarian disconnect from reality.

RollinThundr's comment didn't read as a strawman argument to me. On the contrary your post reads like meaningless nonsense, because that's exactly what both parties are endorsing whole heartedly - the path to totalitarian rule.

And yes, some of us are indeed expecting the system to collapse. It almost happened in 2008. Each time the tide rises higher on these economic collapses. The next one will hopefully end this federal fascist insanity.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2013, 14:55.

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 14:23 Bodolza

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 14:06:
Oh for sure, but just giving up our rights because some in power want to go the totalitarian route isn't the answer either.

Lord forgive me for responding to TrollinThundr, but here we go.

This is a classic straw-man argument. Neither side supports this. Who on this board, or anywhere else, advocates doing nothing when rights are taken away? Even those that support the governments monitoring program say it's because it (debatably) follows due process as established in the Constitution. Do you really only see conservatives upset at government monitoring? Are you aware that the ACLU, who's entire mission is to uphold the constitution, is perceived as a leftist organization? Why do you insist on constantly saying stupid stuff like this?

You've also completely failed to address the issue being discussed, which is the libertarian disconnect from reality.

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 14:06 RollinThundr

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 13:19:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 12:53:
So wanting to actually you know, follow the constitution and limit government is now considered a bad thing that can't be reality?
Actually at some level, yes. It is THAT bad.

I have an office mate with some Libertarian leaning positions. On occasion I agree that what the Federal government is doing is beyond the intended limits of the constitution. But usually he's talking about stuff that has been in place for many decades if not longer. And it simply isn't realistic to think it's going to change, at least not without a Civil War like disruption.

You can shout at the rain if you want, but isn't actually helping.

Oh for sure, but just giving up our rights because some in power want to go the totalitarian route isn't the answer either. Obama's constant assault on the Constitution during his presidency has been alarming, especially his attacks on the 2nd amendment.

For a guy who claims to be a constitutional lawyer he sure doesn't seem to have anything but complete and utter contempt for the document.

And for a guy like Dick Cheney who more than likely had much to do with starting alot of this NSA privacy invasion shit to begin with to call the whistle blower a traitor, perhaps ol Dicky should look in a god damn mirror.

Just sitting back and doing nothing is worse than at least making an effort, because you have no one to blame but yourself for not speaking out against what is going on in Washington DC these days, and none of it is very good.

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 13:19 Mr. Tact

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 12:53:
So wanting to actually you know, follow the constitution and limit government is now considered a bad thing that can't be reality?
Actually at some level, yes. It is THAT bad.

I have an office mate with some Libertarian leaning positions. On occasion I agree that what the Federal government is doing is beyond the intended limits of the constitution. But usually he's talking about stuff that has been in place for many decades if not longer. And it simply isn't realistic to think it's going to change, at least not without a Civil War like disruption.

You can shout at the rain if you want, but isn't actually helping.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. removed Jun 18, 2013, 13:12 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 18, 2013, 14:43.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 13:09 Beamer

Bodolza wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 12:23:
Paul wouldn't have a chance. I can't see him even winning the Republican nomination. Libertarians don't even do well in the primaries. McCain basically had to abandon his libertarian positions to win the nomination.

It never made much sense to me that most libertarians are Republican's, either. They seem to be constantly against their own party platform. Although, I guess a disconnect from reality is a requirement for being a hardcore libertarian.

The strongest tenant for most libertarians is the concept of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

Personally, I find that to be completely ridiculous and not based in reality, but it's a strong reason why many fall Republican. Not all believe this, but some very loud ones do.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 12:53 RollinThundr

Bodolza wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 12:23:
Paul wouldn't have a chance. I can't see him even winning the Republican nomination. Libertarians don't even do well in the primaries. McCain basically had to abandon his libertarian positions to win the nomination.

It never made much sense to me that most libertarians are Republican's, either. They seem to be constantly against their own party platform. Although, I guess a disconnect from reality is a requirement for being a hardcore libertarian.

I just love where this country is heading.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 12:48 Blaster

Why does it matter?
This country was bought & sold years ago.

When you raise whiny, uninformed kids; you get whiny, uninformed adults.

Garbage in, garbage out.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 12:23 Bodolza

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 12:05 Mr. Tact

Rand Paul has some great ideas and opinions. In general, I like him. That said, some of his positions are a bit too wacky for me and I really can't imagine ever voting for him to be President. I'd be surprised if he could gain mainstream support.

Then again, if you had asked me prior to 2004 if I thought I'd ever see an African American elected to the US Presidency I probably would have said it was highly unlikely.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 NegaDeath

Good on them.  

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 11:28 Creston

It's so funny and awesome that Texas is the first state to do so.

Creston

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 11:00 Techie714

Those of you interested I cant urge you enough to take some time & listen to the latest Security Now. It's super interesting & easy to understand for non technical. Share it with friends & family so they know too.
The State of Surveillance (How the NSA's PRISM program works.)
https://media.grc.com/sn/sn-408.mp3

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 10:58 Techie714

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 10:08:
I really hope Rand Paul runs in 2016, he's about the only politician from either side that I trust at all even just a little at this point.

THIS!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 10:47 Ludomancer

Seems like progress, until you consider the Federal Government routinely bowls over state laws whenever it pleases, as will probably be the case here.
Still, good to know such quick, official action is being taken in light of the news.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 10:12 InBlack

Did Hell just freeze over??  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2013, 10:08 RollinThundr

I really hope Rand Paul runs in 2016, he's about the only politician from either side that I trust at all even just a little at this point.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo