Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs?

A post on NeoGAF has an unverified, but legitimate-looking invitation to participate in a trial alpha test for Battlefield 4. This says the version being testing is quite incomplete, being an alpha and all, describing how there will be missing textures, choppy performance, server lag, and downtime. This also says a strict NDA is in place, so we shouldn't expect to hear impressions of the alpha from those who are selected (thanks Strategy Informer). There's a fuller image of the invite from MP1st (thanks VG247 via PC Gamer) with recommended system specs, indicating this will support neither Windows 8 nor 32-bit Windows:

Windows 8 not supported
64-bit! 32-bit not supported
DX10 or DX11 GPU with 1+ GB of RAM,
DX11 Highly recommended
25GB Free HDD space required
Latest Origin version required.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 10:52 eRe4s3r

Unless you already played it for 2 years and want something new. Sure the updates / DLC brought new game modes and niches and some weapons but what most people who played BF3 from day 0 want is .. BF4

Either way, I have no idea why but I am in the BF4 Alpha.. although didn't get around to play it yet

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 09:58 SpectralMeat

So what I am hearing is that this is more BF3 on different maps.
PCgamer did a preview on it yesterday, and they sort of suggested to maybe grab BF3 for dirt cheap with all the DLC.

Steam: SpectralMeat

36. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 05:14 Jackplug

Here is where all the extra destruction will be turned off and all we wil get is lies abt mass destruction, just like in the BF3 testing!

For me without mod support its gonna be another dead game, so no buy!

35. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 04:24 eRe4s3r

Then play Conquest (the normal one) on Metro or Basar, certainly doesn't take 45minutes, more like 20m ^^

Also if you have high ping then go into Options

Smoothing Factor / Interpolation

It is essential to know how this setting works, or your gameplay will suck if you play on EU (or on high ping servers)

If the ping is OVER 100 max the bar out.
If the ping is UNDER 100 but OVER 40 mid bar
If the ping is UNDER 40 ... then 0 smoothing

This is the most important setting in BF3

Generally speaking, you need to find the sweet spot for a particular ping, tweak in 30% steps (it takes about 5 seconds to come into effect) until you find the perfect setting for your connection and the server you are on.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2013, 04:52.

34. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 04:18 eRe4s3r

Closed Betas wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 18:48:
Linksil wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 18:33:
I've played every BF, but they aren't tied into my Origins account... mostly because I can't find the CD keys for anything other then the exp's and it won't let me tie in my old account. *sigh*

I shit you not they do this on purpose.. every fucking origin update it clears your login, i just patched now, and dont even remember the emial i used

so i have like 9 origin accounts with lost passwords etc over the years from changing isps, etc

Lastpass ....

33. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 03:08 xXBatmanXx

Linksil wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 02:14:
Now that's funny. Almost every server I play on is sub 100 ping. When I filter HC I got a choice of at least a dozen, more if I go to noob mode "normal". Just make sure you have your settings right for filters. Also I think most servers are running none base of some form by now, so if you just got the base game you might be out of luck... other then hte free CC exp.

I have it all, I guess I have found the most fun in the CQC stuff on hardcore mode, mult-team stuff, etc etc. Would be better if a group of friends were avail to do conquest, etc. That was always my favorite with a good group of peeps.

All of that DLC just fragments the community. I look at the screen for joining a server, there are like.... 20? maps, each with diff types of gameplay. Normal is a waste of time to play, HC is where it's at, esp with the lag comp and terrible pings. I am in MPLS, has one of the best connections and fiber in the country, I never have this bad of pings. oh well. I will try it some more, but I have pretty much said "meh" at this point. I am not really intrested in a 45 minute Conquest match anyway....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 02:14 Linksil

Now that's funny. Almost every server I play on is sub 100 ping. When I filter HC I got a choice of at least a dozen, more if I go to noob mode "normal". Just make sure you have your settings right for filters. Also I think most servers are running none base of some form by now, so if you just got the base game you might be out of luck... other then hte free CC exp.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

31. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 18, 2013, 00:06 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 22:52:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 19:47:
I've played every BF, but they aren't tied into my Origins account... mostly because I can't find the CD keys for anything other then the exp's and it won't let me tie in my old account. *sigh*

I had this problem when I got BF3. I called support and the lady tied all my old accounts together.

When they went from the EA site, to Gun Rewards (whatever), then Origin, I had already put in all of my keys. When playing BFBC2, I think my Veteran status is 8-9. I have every possible one in there. I had to use support to get a couple in there, they just asked that I scan or take a picture of my box/disc/key/case, etc. I also tied my xbox and ps3 to those, since I have some of the BF stuff on those as well.

I broke. I bought BF3 for $5.00. It is an updated BFBC2 (which they just let die). Not very impressed, net code sucks, very hard to find sub 100 ping servers to play on. The whole experience is actually pretty bad. I think that BFBC2 is a better game in every way.

Haven't played it since BF3 but I'd still probably agree with you. I know I certainly had more fun playing BFBC2 but BF3 felt like more of the same and somehow worse.

30. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 22:52 xXBatmanXx

Frags4Fun wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 19:47:

I had this problem when I got BF3. I called support and the lady tied all my old accounts together.

When they went from the EA site, to Gun Rewards (whatever), then Origin, I had already put in all of my keys. When playing BFBC2, I think my Veteran status is 8-9. I have every possible one in there. I had to use support to get a couple in there, they just asked that I scan or take a picture of my box/disc/key/case, etc. I also tied my xbox and ps3 to those, since I have some of the BF stuff on those as well.

I broke. I bought BF3 for $5.00. It is an updated BFBC2 (which they just let die). Not very impressed, net code sucks, very hard to find sub 100 ping servers to play on. The whole experience is actually pretty bad. I think that BFBC2 is a better game in every way.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 19:47 Frags4Fun

28. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 18:48 Closed Betas

I shit you not they do this on purpose.. every fucking origin update it clears your login, i just patched now, and dont even remember the emial i used

so i have like 9 origin accounts with lost passwords etc over the years from changing isps, etc

27. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 18:33 Linksil

26. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 18:12 Sepharo

Win8 has some nasty new UAC issues. There's actually a new invisible level of administrative access that can't be achieved by simply dragging the UAC slider to the bottom (you need to fuck around in the reigstry). Once you turn UAC off all of the new metro apps refuse to work, which is a funny reversal because normally apps don't work without administrative access, these apps don't work with administrative access. I bet for the alpha they haven't gone through yet to make sure that administrative access isn't required and they don't want to deal with the hassle of teaching people how do this on Win8... and then once they do having to explain why their metro apps don't work anymore.  

25. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 15:26 Frags4Fun

Try this. Open Origin and see if you have the icon to download BF4Alpha. I just did and I have the icon and it's downloading. I didn't get any email or anything.

Edit:
I was in BF3 Alpha & Beta. Not sure if that matters.
I've also owned nearly every BF game and expansion so the experience mentioned in that image/email might be legit. The Opting in to all BF related communications is a bit sketchy though because I don't believe that I have done that. Heck, I didn't even get an email saying I was in. The key just showed up in Origin. So if you didn't get an email, you might still be in.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2013, 16:01.

24. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 14:11 deqer

Techie714 wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 13:34:
I really enjoyed BF3 but I'd like to know if this release will have VOIP? I've read mixed signals on this with all the E3 coverage. Not adding VOIP in BF3 was a HUGE misstep
I think a lot of gamers don't use it even if it was included, because it can suck and there are better 3rd-party methods such as Mumble, or Vent that people prefer regardless.

23. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 13:48 Creston

Windows 8 not supported. Giggle

Creston

22. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 13:42 Verno

Techie714 wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 13:34:
I really enjoyed BF3 but I'd like to know if this release will have VOIP? I've read mixed signals on this with all the E3 coverage. Not adding VOIP in BF3 was a HUGE misstep

Agreed, public play sucks without at least squad level VoIP builtin. There are so many reasons to have it and no reason not to, it's just expected multiplayer functionality these days. Expose it properly in the user interface and people will use it.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

21. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 13:34 Techie714

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

20. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 13:15 SirKnight

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:26:
Probably the same reason(s) Microsoft themselves don't trust Win8 to run early builds of Xbox One games. There's gotta be something to it.

Which makes this all the more hilarious.

19. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 12:42 Linksil

Slick: I agree, i'm one of those people that love seeing the behind the scenes and dev process. Done tons of MMO alphas and betas and always am amazed how games change as they go. The comment was more towards the company's that aren't doing true alphas but instead using it as a press tool. Problem I see it is the current audience can't really handle having "broken" things like alphas. It's getting better with all the indie ones now, but still most of the kids are horrible out there and the internet doesn't help in that regard.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo