Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UK Sales Charts

GFK Chart-Track lists the 20 bestselling full-price PC games in the U.K for the week ending June 15th, showing Football Manager 2013 still kicking balls and taking names. Their PC budget-price list has a new number one, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which seems to mark the RPG's sequel debut as a budget title. Finally, on the big board of their all platforms all prices list: The Last of Us is, well, first. Here's their blurb:

Naughty Dog’s critically acclaimed PS3 exclusive ‘The Last Of Us’ becomes Sony’s first All Formats No1 since ‘Uncharted: Golden Abyss’ on Vita back in W8 2012.

It is the 3rd fastest selling game of 2013 behind ‘Tomb Raider’ and ‘Bioshock Infinite’ and the biggest launch for a new IP since ‘L.A Noire’ in W20 2011. The industry also receives a well needed shot in the arm from Nintendo’s ‘Animal Crossing: New Leaf’ which debuts at No2 with the biggest 3DS launch since ‘Mario Kart 7’ and the biggest 3DS launch ever for a non-Mario title. ‘Grid 2’ (-45%) slips from top spot to No3 while ‘Tomb Raider’ (+53%) enjoys the spoils of a price promotion, climbing from No7 to No4. After 3 weeks at No2, ‘FIFA 13’ (-32%) has to settle for No5 this week, ahead of a resurgent previous No1 ‘Injustice: Gods Among Us’ (+47%), back in the Top 10 at No6 thanks to competitive retailer pricing.

‘Far Cry 3’ (-1%) remains Ubisoft’s top seller, down from No5 to No7, while the 2 week old Legendary Edition of Skyrim (-6%) falls 4 places to No8. Animal Crossing isn’t the only 3DS Top 10 title this week as sales of ‘Luigi’s Mansion 2’ are up 18%, minimising its drop to just one place to No9. ‘Assassin’s Creed III’ (+18%) is a non-mover at No10, while outside the Top 10 there is a new entry for ‘Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition’ at No12.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 18, 2013, 10:16 mch

Finished it last night. One of the best games I've ever played, no question. The story, atmosphere and characters all felt so authentic. My save file says 19 hours, then I gave multiplayer a try.

I haven't sat down for a marathon gaming session like that one for a very, very long time. This game just got its claws into me and I couldn't stop.

PSN: CaseDesignate
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 18, 2013, 09:25 Darks

Creston wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 01:50:
Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 19:26:
The game has high praise all around which is why it boggles my mind when they do exclusives like this. No matter what Sony paid them they'd probably have made 100 times as much by porting it to all platforms.

Sony and MS believe that people will buy consoles for games like these, and in the case of Last Of Us, I can definitely see it. It IS the kind of game you'd buy a console for. But yeah, it sucks ass if you don't own a PS3...

Creston

Well, that is where they would be wrong in their assumption. I will never, ever buy a console. No matter how good a game is.

So, I’ll never get to play this one, and that sucks for Sony because it’s lost money. I’m not the type of person who is impulsive and runs out buying blindly. Oh well!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 18, 2013, 01:50 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 19:26:
The game has high praise all around which is why it boggles my mind when they do exclusives like this. No matter what Sony paid them they'd probably have made 100 times as much by porting it to all platforms.

Sony and MS believe that people will buy consoles for games like these, and in the case of Last Of Us, I can definitely see it. It IS the kind of game you'd buy a console for. But yeah, it sucks ass if you don't own a PS3...

Creston

9. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 18, 2013, 01:46 Creston

I've played another three or four hours tonight, and I can definitely say that my first niggle is no longer true. I was likely still in the tutorial section of the game, because after you reach Lincoln, it turns into a nice exploration / choose to fight if you want to, but the consequences are on you.

The entire Lincoln chapter is probably one of the finest sections of gaming I've ever played. At times tense, terrifying and laugh out loud funny.

This game is genuinely starting to creep into my top 5 of all time. You MUST play this if you own a PS3.

Creston

8. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 23:59 Juzzam

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 18:00:
Hrm, that's some crazy praise, and on this jaded gamers' forum? !?

I know right... I had a PS3, and bought it, out of impulse. Worth it.

7. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 19:52 Fion

I'm seriously considering picking up a PS4 when it hits, I'm an exclusive PC gamer so this is an odd consideration from my part. PC will always be my main gaming machine but with a PS4 I can play some of the great PS3/4 exclusive titles that have hit. The Last of Us being a prime example.

Plus I have friends and family who have a PS3/are getting a PS4 so I could play some games with them because only one has a decent PC for gaming.

6. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 19:26 Cutter

Great review, Cres. The game has high praise all around which is why it boggles my mind when they do exclusives like this. No matter what Sony paid them they'd probably have made 100 times as much by porting it to all platforms. This is why I hope we get the Division on PC and it's nut just a shooter with the world falling apart but a place to make some tough choices as well.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 18:49 The Pyro

I don't own a PS3, but I've enjoyed watching Day[9]'s playthrough of it The game's intro in particular is fantastic.  

4. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 18:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, that's some crazy praise, and on this jaded gamers' forum? !?

I do own a PC, I'll keep an eye on the prices for this game. A few too many games on my plate already, but if it's that amazing I'll add it eventually.

*EDIT* err, I own a PS3, in addition to a PC.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 14:11.

3. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 15:27 mch

I've been looking for a spot to rant about how great The Last of Us is, but haven't seen any reviews posted recently, so I didn't want to go off-topic. Somehow this game managed to sneak up on me (hadn't seen ANYTHING on it up until a few weeks ago).

I believe it was the Ars Technica review - where they normally give a Buy/Rent/Skip rating, and this time said "buy a PS3 if you don't already have one" - that convinced me to pick it up.

Absolutely amazing. I haven't had time to play many games and still have quite a few to finish so I wasn't sure about buying this one on release day...not a problem here. I couldn't get up from playing - goodbye weekend. I think I'm actually getting close to the end after putting nearly 20 hours into it this weekend.

Seriously, I've been recommending that anyone with a PS3 pick this up. It's absolutely amazing. I'd put it on my list of best games I've ever played.

PSN: CaseDesignate

2. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 13:28 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:21:
The Last Of Us is incredible. It's so atmospheric, and so tense, that playing it is just exhausting (at least for me it is.) I can manage a few hours, then I need to take a break.

It really does magnificently in putting you into odds where you are constantly thinking "You know, I can win this!" but at the same time going "Shit, if this goes south I'll lose everything I have. And THEN WHAT?" I tried sneaking through a room with half a dozen or so infected, took two of them out quietly, was just about to sneak through and exit when one of them spotted me, and all hell broke loose. I murdered the first one with my 2 by 4 (causing it to break), then I ran away, shivved a second one when it ran after me through a doorway, got mauled by a third one but managed to melee him off me, put a bullet in his head, then finally killed the last one with my last four rounds in my revolver (I had another gun, but since I only have one holster, it was in my backpack, and taking it out of the backpack happens in REAL TIME. Not a great thing to try when a clicker is running at you.)

Having cleared out the entire room, my partner goes "Holy shit, Joel! That was amazing!"

Joel's reply? "Pshhh." I lol'ed.

I'm only a few hours in, and the story so far is fairly basic (although they've already dropped enough hints to basically reveal that what your character believes at that point is bullshit), but the characters and the acting are awesome. Joel is absolutely believable even if he is kind of a prick so far, the girl is at times funny, insightful, scared or annoying, just like most 14 year olds and their banter keeps revealing layers of their past.

It has one of the most gripping introductions I've ever seen in a game (I was blinking away a few tears 10 minutes in), and it really doesn't ever let up from there on. There's the occasional quiet bit when you reach an outpost, but most of the time it's sphincter-clenching tension.

The level design is excellent, and quite frankly I still don't believe that this is running on my PS3, because it looks gorgeous and it runs at 30fps silky smooth throughout.

Just about the only two small niggles I have about it so far is that

1) I'm struggling at times to call it a game. While the environment is fun to navigate, it is, in essence, just a long corridor. You may be able to go 50 feet into a side street sometimes, but it's always closed off, and there's never a question of which direction you need to go in. You do come upon larger areas with enemies in it in which you become free to engage (or sneak, or whatever) as you see fit, but so far those have been a little less frequent than I'd really enjoy. However, once you enter buildings (which does happen a lot), things become more enjoyable, as there are many rooms and lots of things to loot. But there's also usually pretty scary shit in those rooms to give you pause on whether you should try to go for said loot.

Spending 10 bullets to find 5 isn't economical, obviously, but you have no idea what kind of stuff might be in that armory...

2) The control system is... unorthodox. I'm constantly struggling to try to remember what does what, and several times in the first hour I got stuck simply because I had no clue what button to push where to proceed (and trying all of them didn't work, because sometimes the button is view-location sensitive. Ie, if you look at the ledge you're trying to get to, pressing triangle will make Joel lift his partner up. If you just stand at the bottom of the ledge and hit triangle while NOT looking at it, nothing happens. That's just a shitty control mechanism.)

Okay, I lied. A third small niggle is that sometimes enemies with guns will drop nothing, while other times they drop ammo. And it seems really fucking random, which is bullshit. If they were shooting at me, they obviously HAVE AMMO!

However, they are all small niggles. Creeping through a subway with 8 clickers was genuinely one of the most scary moments I've had in games, especially when I hid out in a coffee shop and accidentally bumped into a bottle, which fell over, and the noise sent ALL EIGHT of those one-hit-kill fuckers into the coffee shop with me! I still have no idea how I survived that.

If you like tension-filled games, like beautiful levels (actually, the game is just one giant level. It never gives you a loading screen,) like being scared, and like terrific acting with some of the most realistic characters ever, and you own a PS3, you need to at least rent this. It's the best game on a console since Red Dead Redemption.

If I had to score it for a review, I'd happily give it a 94.

Creston

Thanks for the review! I was on-the-fence (leaning negative), but I think I'll pick it up now. I like the pacing you describe...

1. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 11:21 Creston

The Last Of Us is incredible. It's so atmospheric, and so tense, that playing it is just exhausting (at least for me it is.) I can manage a few hours, then I need to take a break.

It really does magnificently in putting you into odds where you are constantly thinking "You know, I can win this!" but at the same time going "Shit, if this goes south I'll lose everything I have. And THEN WHAT?" I tried sneaking through a room with half a dozen or so infected, took two of them out quietly, was just about to sneak through and exit when one of them spotted me, and all hell broke loose. I murdered the first one with my 2 by 4 (causing it to break), then I ran away, shivved a second one when it ran after me through a doorway, got mauled by a third one but managed to melee him off me, put a bullet in his head, then finally killed the last one with my last four rounds in my revolver (I had another gun, but since I only have one holster, it was in my backpack, and taking it out of the backpack happens in REAL TIME. Not a great thing to try when a clicker is running at you.)

Having cleared out the entire room, my partner goes "Holy shit, Joel! That was amazing!"

Joel's reply? "Pshhh." I lol'ed.

I'm only a few hours in, and the story so far is fairly basic (although they've already dropped enough hints to basically reveal that what your character believes at that point is bullshit), but the characters and the acting are awesome. Joel is absolutely believable even if he is kind of a prick so far, the girl is at times funny, insightful, scared or annoying, just like most 14 year olds and their banter keeps revealing layers of their past.

It has one of the most gripping introductions I've ever seen in a game (I was blinking away a few tears 10 minutes in), and it really doesn't ever let up from there on. There's the occasional quiet bit when you reach an outpost, but most of the time it's sphincter-clenching tension.

The level design is excellent, and quite frankly I still don't believe that this is running on my PS3, because it looks gorgeous and it runs at 30fps silky smooth throughout.

Just about the only two small niggles I have about it so far is that

1) I'm struggling at times to call it a game. While the environment is fun to navigate, it is, in essence, just a long corridor. You may be able to go 50 feet into a side street sometimes, but it's always closed off, and there's never a question of which direction you need to go in. You do come upon larger areas with enemies in it in which you become free to engage (or sneak, or whatever) as you see fit, but so far those have been a little less frequent than I'd really enjoy. However, once you enter buildings (which does happen a lot), things become more enjoyable, as there are many rooms and lots of things to loot. But there's also usually pretty scary shit in those rooms to give you pause on whether you should try to go for said loot.

Spending 10 bullets to find 5 isn't economical, obviously, but you have no idea what kind of stuff might be in that armory...

2) The control system is... unorthodox. I'm constantly struggling to try to remember what does what, and several times in the first hour I got stuck simply because I had no clue what button to push where to proceed (and trying all of them didn't work, because sometimes the button is view-location sensitive. Ie, if you look at the ledge you're trying to get to, pressing triangle will make Joel lift his partner up. If you just stand at the bottom of the ledge and hit triangle while NOT looking at it, nothing happens. That's just a shitty control mechanism.)

Okay, I lied. A third small niggle is that sometimes enemies with guns will drop nothing, while other times they drop ammo. And it seems really fucking random, which is bullshit. If they were shooting at me, they obviously HAVE AMMO!

However, they are all small niggles. Creeping through a subway with 8 clickers was genuinely one of the most scary moments I've had in games, especially when I hid out in a coffee shop and accidentally bumped into a bottle, which fell over, and the noise sent ALL EIGHT of those one-hit-kill fuckers into the coffee shop with me! I still have no idea how I survived that.

If you like tension-filled games, like beautiful levels (actually, the game is just one giant level. It never gives you a loading screen,) like being scared, and like terrific acting with some of the most realistic characters ever, and you own a PS3, you need to at least rent this. It's the best game on a console since Red Dead Redemption.

If I had to score it for a review, I'd happily give it a 94.

Creston

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo