Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

It Came from E3 2013, Part Six

View
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

20. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:33 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 21:29:
If you're a semi-attractive woman, people will automatically assume that your primary role is to serve as eye-candy.

Fixed that for you. Any semi-attractive woman is going to be admired by men. Surrounded by more men? More admiration. Throw a hunky guy in some kind of.. I dunno, what do women go to? Handbag conventions? And it will be the same thing.

It's called sexual attraction, and we shouldn't be trying to shame people for feeling it, or using it to their advantage.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:29 Jerykk

People Voluntarily choose to become models. They reap financial benefits with their attractiveness, some women become super-models.

They do, yes. But when the majority of females in the games industry are booth babes, that only reinforces sexist preconceptions. One need only look at the internet's response to Jade Raymond for an example of how semi-attractive women in the industry are generally treated. If you're a semi-attractive woman in this business, people will automatically assume that your primary role is to serve as eye-candy regardless of your actual career. Booth babes promote this mentality.

18. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:24 Prez

"At E3, We Are Still Making An Issue About Imaginary Sexism So We Can Write An Article That Will Get Hits And Make Us Look Noble." is more like it. May I suggest the subtitle "Hey, it works for all the other gaming journalists who have nothing of real value to write about so why shouldn't we do it too?

Maybe try going back to fabricating race issues for a while? The whole "WAAH -SEXISM!!!" theme is waaaay tired and needs a break. You're in danger of going to the well too often with this particular made-up issue. Maybe make up a totally new one, like an "anti-midget" culture in gaming?

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2013, 22:53.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:23 NKD

For fucks sake stop quoting botched quote tags!

Sorry. Pet peeve.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:08 Beamer

Morga wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 20:40:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 20:34:
Pumas wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 18:36:
One could argue that a modeling career promotes the objectification of men and women. At E3, the primary role of women is to serve as eye candy. If you're a semi-attractive female at E3, there's a pretty good chance you'll be mistaken for a booth babe. I know because that happened to my friend at this E3. If there were no booth babes, this wouldn't happen.

People Voluntarily choose to become models. They reap financial benefits with their attractiveness, some women become super-models.

Whether a company hires booth-babes or booth-dudes to promote their products is their choice and they have every right in a free society.

If you're mistaken for something you're not is no justification to then stereotype all men as being ignorant in that regard.

Most dirty, dangerous jobs are done by men. Trash collector, plumber, soldier, sewage worker, miner etc. 95% of workplace deaths are men, and consequently men have 6 year lower life-expectancy.
The feminists don't care about those things though, because it affects men.

Do you want a White History Month, too?

No one has ever mistaken me for a soldier, sewage worker, miner, etc. I don't go down the road getting leered at. I've never had a superior make a pass at me.

Incidentally, those jobs you listed? Ones you claim are male-dominated? What percentage of women that apply for those jobs do you think actually get taken seriously?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:04 Rattlehead

Morga wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 20:31:
The author is a pro-feminist who's overly offended about anything that is not according to the flawed, one-sided feminist ideology and Political Censorship.

70% of consumer spending is done by women (while men work more full-time till retirement. Companies primarily cater to women.

Also men are mostly portrayed as idiots and incompetent on TV shows, suicide rate is 3 times higher for men and 95% of workplace deaths are men.
There's now millions of fatherless homes in America, many decent fathers aren't allowed to be with their kids after divorce by corrupt family courts, yet must pay high alimony and child support or be jailed.
The feminists don't complain about that when it's in their favor.
I would like to just note that while suicide rate is higher in males, female attempted suicide rate is much higher.

I guess women fail at failing...no that was uncalled for but I just had to throw it in there.

14. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:04 rist3903

Just put some muscley dudes in banana hammocks or something, that should make it fair, and the only people who might object are people insecure in their sexuality who are ashamed that they got a boner from some dude in a tight outfit.
This.

Seems like they could save themselves a lot of bad press by hiring one booth dude. Surely there would be enough gay guys/girls attending that someone would appreciate seeing him.

Then they can say "See? we objectify men too!"

13. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:40 Morga

Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 20:34:
One could argue that a modeling career promotes the objectification of men and women. At E3, the primary role of women is to serve as eye candy. If you're a semi-attractive female at E3, there's a pretty good chance you'll be mistaken for a booth babe. I know because that happened to my friend at this E3. If there were no booth babes, this wouldn't happen.

Whether a company hires booth-babes or booth-dudes to promote their products is their choice and they have every right in a free society.

If you're mistaken for something you're not is no justification to then stereotype all men as being ignorant in that regard.

Most dirty, dangerous jobs are done by men. Trash collector, plumber, soldier, sewage worker, miner etc. 95% of workplace deaths are men, and consequently men have 6 year lower life-expectancy.
The feminists don't care about those things though, because it affects men.

12. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:34 Jerykk

Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 17:41:
There are still booth babes, so I'd say it's still an issue. That said, sexism has been and always will be an issue in most male-dominated industries. Until men stop wanting to look at hot chicks, this isn't going to change so good luck with that.

How on earth is paying a model to do what models get paid to do sexist in any way?

"I'm sorry miss, but we can't hire you this year because apparently your career offends people. Good luck finding work!"

If hiring male models helps the companies sell more games, then you can bet your ass that's exactly what they'll do.

11. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:31 Morga

The author is a pro-feminist who's overly offended about anything that is not according to the flawed, one-sided feminist ideology and Political Censorship.

70% of consumer spending is done by women (while men work more full-time till retirement. Companies primarily cater to women.

Also men are mostly portrayed as idiots and incompetent on TV shows, suicide rate is 3 times higher for men and 95% of workplace deaths are men.
There's now millions of fatherless homes in America, many decent fathers aren't allowed to be with their kids after divorce by corrupt family courts, yet must pay high alimony and child support or be jailed.
The feminists don't complain about that when it's in their favor.

10. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:25 Julio

The gaming industry could stop crying poor if they cut out unnecessary expenses like 'booth babes'.  

9. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:20 NKD

Just put some muscley dudes in banana hammocks or something, that should make it fair, and the only people who might object are people insecure in their sexuality who are ashamed that they got a boner from some dude in a tight outfit.  

8. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:03 entr0py

I'm not bothered by sexy game characters; games are entertainment, and attractive women are certainly entertaining. But what seems embarrassing and unprofessional is hiring lots of models to bounce around your trade conferences. You're there to work, the only people allowed are industry and press. And while you're at work you need to work with women who you should do your best not to creep out or demean.

I guess it could be argued that the booth babes are a form of advertizement, and there for the customers, not the attendees. But that doesn't really seem to be the case.

7. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 19:13 Cutter

Physical attractiveness and sex is hardwired to the genes. If sex didn't sell with most people they wouldn't use it. And if the women don't object then it's not sexist.

Don't be distracted from making dinner ladies!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 18:42 WyldKat

So EA touts that they're not sexist because they have a female NPC in the single player campaign of Battlefield 4 but we still can't make female soldiers for Multiplayer... the fuck? ARMA 3 is the same way, it's infuriating, especially since these games take place in the near future and female soldiers are a thing now and they've served in other positions you can play as in the games, such as pilots, for much longer.  

5. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 18:36 Pumas

Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 17:41:
There are still booth babes, so I'd say it's still an issue. That said, sexism has been and always will be an issue in most male-dominated industries. Until men stop wanting to look at hot chicks, this isn't going to change so good luck with that.

How on earth is paying a model to do what models get paid to do sexist in any way?

"I'm sorry miss, but we can't hire you this year because apparently your career offends people. Good luck finding work!"

If hiring male models helps the companies sell more games, then you can bet your ass that's exactly what they'll do.

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

4. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 18:27 HorrorScope

I don't like it. Please make another law!

/sarcasm

3. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 17:50 Slashman

Just out of curiosity, that 45% of female gamers. What are they playing?  

2. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 17:41 Jerykk

1. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 17:12 Rattlehead

At E3, sexism still an issue.
Nah, it's really not. You guys are just making it an issue.

100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo