Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 16, 2013, 06:16 Julio

Personally, I'm not interested in eating any jerky made in some random guys bathtub. For all I know, he's Dahmer Junior.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 16, 2013, 03:10 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 21:56:
Dev wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 19:43:
KS doesn't do background checks (and I'm not sure I'd want them to anyway, I think the projects should be judged individually). They may not require much, but amazon requires stuff too.
My understanding is that you MUST have a US bank account to setup everything needed. US bank accounts pretty much require someone in person to open the account.

Well that's pretty scary considering how easy identity theft is these days and could result in someone scamming people potentially for thousands, if not millions. Granted it's unlikely, but as we've seen over the last decade this stuff just gets easier for the criminals to do. It would be a shame to see people worrying about supporting those who need crowdfunding because they don't know if it's a scam or not.
I'm not against preventing identity theft, I'm just figuring that it will be filtered out at the bank level. And if its a well known figure, when that KS hits thousands, they are going to hear about it. For instance, when DF KS started, I'm sure there was tons of tweets back and forth to and from Tim, plus there was all the game media asking for interviews, etc. So it would be hard to do something like that.

What I'm saying is, what if some guy with some issues in his past is trying to start over again on a KS? I'm not against that.

And its much more rare for someone to open a bank account in someone's name as identity theft, than for someone to steal a credit card number or whatever.

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 21:56 Cutter

Dev wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 19:43:
KS doesn't do background checks (and I'm not sure I'd want them to anyway, I think the projects should be judged individually). They may not require much, but amazon requires stuff too.
My understanding is that you MUST have a US bank account to setup everything needed. US bank accounts pretty much require someone in person to open the account.

Well that's pretty scary considering how easy identity theft is these days and could result in someone scamming people potentially for thousands, if not millions. Granted it's unlikely, but as we've seen over the last decade this stuff just gets easier for the criminals to do. It would be a shame to see people worrying about supporting those who need crowdfunding because they don't know if it's a scam or not.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 19:43 Dev

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 19:13 Cutter

saluk wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 16:54:
He means they never released their names to the public. You need a lot of stuff to start a kickstarter, including an amazon payments account which is another level. Who knows - maybe this is all a scam to get more funding for the documentary

Really? Where does it state this? Do you have to submit government id? Passport, DL, etc? Do they check with the bank to make sure they know you and didn't just open an account? It's not like people can't buy fake ids and run these sorts of scams. I'd like to know what a background check by KS really means.

Edit: I just went through their Terms of Use, project guidelines, etc. and the only thing it says is that they can ask for id to verify that you're 18. Nothing else about background checks. I'm going to email them and see what's what.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 19:18.

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 18:56 nin

I'm sure this was an actual scam.

It was on their front page for the longest time, under the "popular" heading...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 18:19 Dev

Kickstarter entered the picture. They suspended with less than an hour to spare, thanks to the ongoing message board discussion and suspicions of ourselves and other backers. Magnus Fun, your good times are over.

Thankfully, these guys were stopped before any money changed hands.

So no, its not the biggest fraud. It was $0.

It may have been the biggest ATTEMPTED KS fraud though, where the goal was surpassed and the project about to get its money.

Incidentally, people backing it should have had more of a clue. No personal details about the people doing this, no answer to the question "how are you addressing challenges of kobe beef? It's not an ideal jerky choice", etc.

Edit:
Reading through the KS comments on the suspended project, it looks like the guy who uncovered this is being harassed at his business now (some people involved in the project are sending nasty messages to his clients). What makes this really hilarious is that this gives him legal grounds to subpoena the scammers personal info from facebook and kickstarter, and out them even further.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 18:29.

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 17:10 jdreyer

Occam's razor: which is more likely, an actual scam, or a fake scam with the purpose of promoting a film? I'm sure this was an actual scam. Some dude thought he could run a scam under the radar and make a couple grand. It got out of hand, attracted too much attention, and got him caught.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 16:54 saluk

He means they never released their names to the public. You need a lot of stuff to start a kickstarter, including an amazon payments account which is another level. Who knows - maybe this is all a scam to get more funding for the documentary  

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 15, 2013, 16:29 Cutter

It was a 2k KS, regardless that it got up to 120k. And it's tacky as hell that these guys are actually using this as a springboard to fund their own KS. How do we know they're not part of the scam and this'll bring in yet more money because people trust them now?

And from the articles....

The project creators never released their names, photos or other personal details.

How is this possible? KS doesn't verify any personal details?! That's insane. If that's the case I won't even be considering backing most KS' anymore. That's just absurdly irresponsible.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo