Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha

Steam News announces that Planetary Annihilation is now available as an early access title. This is causing quite a stir thanks to the $89.99 price it carries, which is steep for a finished game, much less a pre-beta. They include a note somewhat addressing this, explaining that this is the price they told their Kickstarter backers that early access would command:

Our pricing for this stage of early access was determined by our Kickstarter. The stages of our early access for ALL users, which was determined during our Kickstarter, is:

June through August: $90 for early alpha access, during the time where we're still locking down features and making tweaks to the flow of the game. This access is permanent access - you will be able to play through alpha, beta and on through retail. (Galactic Edition Equivalent with all addons)

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

20. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 23:56 jdreyer

RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 23:20:
I have SO many GOOD games ready to play in my Steam backlog from all the sales. It's a no brainer to use this $90 price tag as a reason to not only never buy this game, but to forget it ever existed.

Yes, but do you have a sequel to Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander in your Steam backlog? Of course you don't. Because there hasn't been one. Until now. And for a certain kind of gamer, that's all that matters.

Also, why is this so hard for some people to understand? Tiered Kickstarters do this ALL THE TIME. You pay more for the privilege of early access. A bunch of games offer alpha access: Torment - $125, Elite - 200, Camelot - $110, Divinity - $135, Godus - 100, etc. A couple thousand backers paid $90 or more in the original KS for this reward. Now they're making it available on Steam FOR THE SAME PRICE. The full game will be a "normal" price. I got the launch version for $20 (don't like alpha or beta testing personally). The launch version will probably be somewhere around there.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 23:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:
And yet this is the 3rd best selling item on steam right now, ahead of skyrim.

Where are you getting that data?

This indicates otherwise?

Although maybe there is a more up to date list somewhere...

18. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 23:24 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:

WOW. Now THAT's crazy.

17. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 23:20 RaZ0r!

I have SO many GOOD games ready to play in my Steam backlog from all the sales. It's a no brainer to use this $90 price tag as a reason to not only never buy this game, but to forget it ever existed.  

16. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 22:57 Dev

15. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 22:53 nin

J wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 20:51:
If that's not a good reason to buy or defend this game, I don't know what is!

Seriously!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:58 Ryan Lange

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 21:20:
The high price also limits the number of people in the alpha. Having people in early to give feedback is very beneficial, but too many people creates too much overhead and diminishing returns.

Other than the developers themselves and a select number of testers, there's typically nobody in the alpha stage of game development. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually got more people testing the game at that early stage, especially for a smaller company.

13. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:41 Cutter

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 21:36:
Anyone buying this game is setting a very bad precedent. First off, you should never ever have to pay for a beta. All I can say is, if you spend money on this game you are not sane.

But you don't have to pay for beta, this is for alpha. I have zero problem with devs charging for people to alpha or beta. Supply and demand. However, there is a major caveat. If your game is a bug filled mess at launch don't expect me to buy it at that point. So, in the desire for fast cash they could be shooting themselves in the foot.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:36 Ozmodan

Anyone buying this game is setting a very bad precedent. First off, you should never ever have to pay for a beta. All I can say is, if you spend money on this game you are not sane.  

11. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:31 Golwar

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 21:27:
deqer wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 20:47:
Whoever pays/defends this, is not my friend. Sorry, I just don't want to be your friend anymore.
Wait, not wanting to be someone's friends implies you have to have friends in the 1st place.

Perhaps it was his intention to offer an (emergency) exit strategy.
"Buy this and you'll never risk that I attempt to snuggle up to you!"

10. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:27 Rattlehead

Whoever pays/defends this, is not my friend. Sorry, I just don't want to be your friend anymore.
Wait, not wanting to be someone's friends implies you have to have friends in the 1st place.

9. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:20 jdreyer

The high price also limits the number of people in the alpha. Having people in early to give feedback is very beneficial, but too many people creates too much overhead and diminishing returns.  

8. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:20 Golwar

It's quite entertaining that something that is so well explained as this initial price, that isn't mandatory at all and that will turn "normal" soon enough, still manages to cause that many headlines.

They could have demanded $1k or $1m for their alpha and it still wouldn't bother me.

7. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:12 Fantaz

It's not $90, it's $89.99!! 1 cent less, just so you are tricked into thinking it's maybe around $8x.xx before you move on to read the second digit.  

6. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 21:12 Mad Max RW

It makes sense when the game is self published and the only other source of funding is out of their own pockets. If you don't understand that then simply don't buy it.

Although it is a helluva lot for even a kickstarter reward tier.

5. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 20:58 Fion

More and more I'm seeing games on steam people are paying $30-50 for an ALPHA version of games that barely even works and more often than not it's a 'sequel or spiritual successor' to some classic title. That the price would continue to rise as more and more idiots buy into these things based solely on their own nostalgia, is not unexpected. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if this sold like hotcakes.  

4. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 20:56 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 20:53:

I understand the sticker shock, but since this was a KS reward tier, they have to offer it at this price or else undermine future Kickstarters. It is very unusual, since usually beta access is offered at a discount or regular shipping price. This game will be probably $30 on Steam at launch, so if you don't like the price wait until then.

Seriously. Early access is a perk for contributing more, just like for a ton of other kickstarters. The full game was the $20 reward or whatever, so just wait.

3. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 20:53 jdreyer

I understand the sticker shock, but since this was a KS reward tier, they have to offer it at this price or else undermine future Kickstarters. It is very unusual, since usually beta access is offered at a discount or regular shipping price. This game will be probably $30 on Steam at launch, so if you don't like the price wait until then.

2. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 20:51 J

If that's not a good reason to buy or defend this game, I don't know what is!  

1. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 20:47 deqer

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo