Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha

Steam News announces that Planetary Annihilation is now available as an early access title. This is causing quite a stir thanks to the $89.99 price it carries, which is steep for a finished game, much less a pre-beta. They include a note somewhat addressing this, explaining that this is the price they told their Kickstarter backers that early access would command:

Our pricing for this stage of early access was determined by our Kickstarter. The stages of our early access for ALL users, which was determined during our Kickstarter, is:

June through August: $90 for early alpha access, during the time where we're still locking down features and making tweaks to the flow of the game. This access is permanent access - you will be able to play through alpha, beta and on through retail. (Galactic Edition Equivalent with all addons)

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

40. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 04:10 mag

Jackplug wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 03:23:
68 for a game that has been kickstarted, some community spirit by trying to screw a very big amount for a early access..Fuck ooofff!!

Let's repeat it again. Early access was a reward to kickstarters for chipping in more than a minimum. Now they want to open early access up to more people, but it would be incredibly dickish of them to offer it for cheaper than what people already paid for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 03:23 Jackplug

68 for a game that has been kickstarted, some community spirit by trying to screw a very big amount for a early access..Fuck ooofff!!  

38. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 03:17 RaZ0r!

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:04:
Have you backed any kickstarter? If so, for how much?

Yes a select few. For my video game pledges the highest was $28, which was for Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Point?

37. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:48 Vex

Hahaha holy Moses, paying a company to do QA... this cracks me the fuck up!  

36. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:46 NKD

Out of curiosity I went back and looked at some of the stuff I've backed. Cash-grab for beta/alpha is definitely more common than I remember.

Double Fine Adventure - Beta at $15, no Alpha offered.
Star Citizen - Alpha and Beta at $30
Wasteland 2 - Beta at $55
Shadowrun Returns - No Alpha or Beta offered.
Project Eternity - $110 for Beta, no alpha offered
Torment - Oddball here. Beta at $75, Alpha at $125. Beta "addon" available to any tier at $20, Alpha "addon" available to any Beta tester at $10.
Elite - Major Cashgrab alert here. 50 pounds for second round Beta, 100 pounds for first round beta, 200 pounds for Alpha.

Of course, none of them are trying to use Steam as a Kickstarter.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

35. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:21 saluk

Sepharo wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:13:
NKD wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:10:
Usually the $15-25 tier gets you the test versions, if they even do a public test.

I wouldn't say that's usual. That's probably unusually low for beta access on the Kickstarters I've seen. That's the usual price just for digital delivery when it's done.

Yeah, almost every kickstarter I've backed I've elected out of alpha or beta because they were too high for me to justify it.

And it's actually good to limit the size of an alpha test, and limit beta a bit less. ALL tests do this through some mechanism or other; either by price in this case, or by having limited invites. Limiting by price is genius, the people willing to pay more for early access are more likely to invest time into the game and in giving good feedback.

34. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:13 Sepharo

NKD wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:10:
Usually the $15-25 tier gets you the test versions, if they even do a public test.

I wouldn't say that's usual. That's probably unusually low for beta access on the Kickstarters I've seen. That's the usual price just for digital delivery when it's done.

33. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:10 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:04:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 00:25:
Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 00:08:
This is all explained on the Steam page as well by the devs.

For me, there is no valid explanation for a $90 dollar alpha version game. Sorry. Everyone can 'explain' all they want.

Usually the $15-25 tier gets you the test versions, if they even do a public test. This type of bullshit situation is precisely why most game Kickstarters don't make testing contingent on a very high level of pledge. It's counterproductive to limit your testing pool, and effectively punishes early adopters who are going to be spreading the word about your game.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

32. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:04 jdreyer

For me, there is no valid explanation for a $90 dollar alpha version game. Sorry. Everyone can 'explain' all they want.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:02 OldTimber

Pssst...they don't listen to alpha or beta feedback they, generic case not this specific dev, don't give a crap as they have everything mapped out for a release date. More to the point the marketing department has everything ready and they are the ones pushing it out. Do you think any title released in the past 5-10 years wouldn't have been better at launch without issues if they actually listened to the feedback?

A fool and his money are soon parted... be it 5 cents or 5k to a kickstarter. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to start dropping on projects where people pony up and the devs figure shit this game will be crap and stop development after extracting 10mil or so from some saps based on screen shots or early tech demos. Thanks for paying our salaries as we dragged it out.

30. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:52 saluk

I was shocked to see the price, but I figured I would just ignore it for now since no way would I pay that much. After drilling down into the reasoning, it seems, well, perfectly reasonable.

The rest of us can wait for the real thing; which will hopefully be great.

29. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:51 jacobvandy

It's ballsy of them to put this on Steam in front of millions of unwashed masses, I'll give them that... But honestly, if you can't understand the reasoning that this is showing respect to the people who MADE THIS GAME POSSIBLE, just go ahead and throw your tears of rage/sorrow into that delicious salty ocean with the rest of them. Mad props to Uber, and I'm glad it's selling well.  

28. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:30 JoeBlack

There is if you're still looking to support Uber Entertainment but missed the Kickstarter window. I suppose if people were selfish enough to only look at it as what they intend to do with their $90 and the immediate returns, then yes, some would be paying for an Alpha stage game.

Many people are still missing the point of 'They don't want to undercut their initial supporters. Those being the Kickstarters.' If they do that, another subset of the gaming community will bitch and moan and they'd rather keep their already established base happy rather than piss them off. Y'know.. doing what's right.

27. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:30 nin

I have to agree.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:20 NKD

Isn't getting in during the alpha generally promoted by making it CHEAPER than retail? What's the incentive here... pay more to do them a favor?  

25. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 00:25 RaZ0r!

24. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 00:08 Slashman

The price for early access will go down as they complete more of the game and get more features in.

You don't lose anything if you just wait.

I'm waiting til launch myself. Not sure why anyone would jump in at this point apart from the novelty of playing an alpha.

23. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 00:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

ugh, people really are buying this 90 dollar version. Steam is for the SALES, people, not paying extra.

22. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 00:00 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 23:58:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 23:54:
Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:
And yet this is the 3rd best selling item on steam right now, ahead of skyrim.

Where are you getting that data?

This indicates otherwise?

Although maybe there is a more up to date list somewhere...

Go to Steam. Click on the Top Sellers tab under the Featured PC Games section.

Yeah, that's weekly vs current.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 23:58 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 23:54:
Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:
And yet this is the 3rd best selling item on steam right now, ahead of skyrim.

Where are you getting that data?

This indicates otherwise?

Although maybe there is a more up to date list somewhere...

Go to Steam. Click on the Top Sellers tab under the Featured PC Games section.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo