Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen

Indi developer Vlambeer has suffered the theft of game code, a developers kit and more at E3 in one of those trade show thefts we've heard about before, reports Polygon. A bag with a laptop, two iPads, a PlayStation Vita, a Vita test kit, a Kindle Fire, and the code for the company's upcoming LUFTRAUSERS were taken at the Figueroa Hotel's pool bar, which probably would not be mistaken for Fort Knox. "Basically everything Vlambeer is in the bag," explains Rami Ismail, Vlambeer co-founder. "So it kind of feels like Vlambeer got stolen. We have good backups. We take good care of everything, We've got decent backups to continue working. It's just a giant pain." The story anecdotally reports on a number of other thefts, making it sound like a rash, but they have a statement from the show organizers saying that this is not the case, and security has been tight.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 21:40 SlimRam

Um...just a thought..yeah I wouldn't leave A STICK OF GUM in view of the public unattended, people will LITERALLY steal ANYTHING!

*I say as I palm the silverware at the coffee shop i'm in*

I went to the 'Water and Ice' store near my house and I asked to see they're 'Secret Menu'.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 20:57 Sepharo

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the thief wasn't after the source code to Luftrausers.  

26. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 19:51 Frags4Fun

Don't ever leave valuables like laptops or other gadgets in your hotel room. I used to travel around for work and stayed in hotels all week. When Crysis (1) came out, I took my gaming PC to the hotel with me and set it up at the desk so I could play at night after work. I left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door so the staff wouldn't see my PC.

One of the days I was able to get out of work half day. When I was walking down the hall of the hotel towards my room, I noticed a cleaning lady holding the door to my room open. She was waving to another lady, who was pushing a big cart down the hall towards my room. The lady in my doorway was looking in the opposite direction from me and didn't see me coming until the last second. There was a 3rd women half way between the other 2 that I mentioned and she seemed to be acting as a lookout. I swear that those bitches were about to take my PC! They all scurried away like rats when they saw me. I was so pissed and so glad that I got there when I did.

25. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 18:48 Closed Betas

poor publicity stunt.. a game code stolen.. lol  

24. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 18:21 Beamer

Kedyn wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 16:26:
[
Cameras or not, the hotel is not responsible for lost or stolen items - they're the responsibility of the owner. Chances are he signed something stating such when he checked into the hotel, if he was staying in the hotel. Either way, state law protect innkeepers from paying more than $100-20

I doubt he signed anything, because I doubt he was staying at that hotel. He most likely went from E3 even to E3 event and never stopped back at his own hotel to drop stuff off.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 17:00 pwatsop

I lost my sunglasses there too, if anyone has em...
I feel bad for them, but yeah, I would not let an ipad, let alone a bag of goods out of my physical contact at the Fig Bar during the E3 madness!

22. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 16:43 Julio

Obviously they were going for the Playstation Vita, and the rest just happened to be there All i can say is, leaving your bag unattended at the pool bar will result in it being stolen most of the time. His fault.  

21. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 16:26 Kedyn

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 13:13:
I always wonder if stuff like this is an insurance scam. The cameras at the hotel must have caught this, right? And why are they making a game about Luftbalons?

Cameras or not, the hotel is not responsible for lost or stolen items - they're the responsibility of the owner. Chances are he signed something stating such when he checked into the hotel, if he was staying in the hotel. Either way, state law protect innkeepers from paying more than $100-200 in compensation for lost or stolen items.

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 10:46:
Yeah, seriously. WHY THE FUCK is your bag with everything in it at a fucking POOL BAR, as opposed to in the safe in your room???

If you act like a moron, odds are the world's going to treat you like one.

Creston

Creston, you're the first person to ever use the "s" word that I have seen in one of these cases. And I have seen A LOT of these cases.

20. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 16:22 Drazula

Armengar wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 12:24:
Thats ok because its encrypted right? Your livlihood and life on one laptop, it MUST be encrypted right? At the very least bitlocker yeah?

Exactly... anyone with a business notebook should have the drive encrypted.

19. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 16:06 Cutter

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:26:
I still feel really bad for this guy. He's the most unlucky independent developer I know of. Aside from this happening to him, this is the same guy who had both Radical Fishing AND Luftrausers stolen from him by two different studios, not to mention the near-ripoff of Super Crate Box, and published before he could finish the projects himself.
Even if he made some poor decisions, the universe is out to get this guy.

Now he definitely sounds like he's an insurance scammer. Once? Unlikely but possible. 3 times? That's a pattern. Either that or he needs to lay off the weed and focus on what he's doing.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 15:04 ViRGE

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:26:
I still feel really bad for this guy. He's the most unlucky independent developer I know of. Aside from this happening to him, this is the same guy who had both Radical Fishing AND Luftrausers stolen from him by two different studios, not to mention the near-ripoff of Super Crate Box, and published before he could finish the projects himself.
Even if he made some poor decisions, the universe is out to get this guy.
Yikes! Poor guy.

17. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 14:52 Vulkan

I'm not gonna try and shift blame from the thief to the poor guy, but this is why I never let go of my messenger bag whenever I'm at a public place, that thing stays on my shoulder at all times.

That said, I truly hate LA.

16. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 14:35 Jivaro

|oR|jonvall wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:06:
Bro, do you even lift?

Fixed that for you.

15. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 14:06 Rhino

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 13:09:
Obviously you guys aren't businessmen. I, on the other hand, am and business is often done at the bar. Get your prospect liquored up a bit and it's easier to get contracts signed and agreements made.
I'm not a businessman, but are you a programmer? Because if you want to impress someone, you show them the working product. I can't think of a product walkthrough I've ever done where I needed the source with me.

Even with physical product like I've dealt with as a Buyer, the seller usually brings a sample or two (and that two only if there are distinct colour variations), maybe even just pictures (again, colour variations). They don't bring the blueprints and original models or anything that would be used in production, which is general kept at the location in which production is taking place... which is where we would meet them if we, for some reason, absolutely needed to see that sort of thing. Which we never did, in my experience.

14. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 13:23 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 13:13:
I always wonder if stuff like this is an insurance scam. The cameras at the hotel must have caught this, right? And why are they making a game about Luftbalons?

And are there 99 of them?

But seriously, I doubt these guys even had insurance against theft on their random electronic crap.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 13:13 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 13:09 Kevin Lowe

Obviously you guys aren't businessmen. I, on the other hand, am and business is often done at the bar. Get your prospect liquored up a bit and it's easier to get contracts signed and agreements made.
I'm not a businessman, but are you a programmer? Because if you want to impress someone, you show them the working product. I can't think of a product walkthrough I've ever done where I needed the source with me.

11. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 12:39 hex863

I agree with |oR|jonvall: leaving an unintended bag seems way more of the problem than blaming the developer for the contents that bag or for being at the bar where potential networking (i.e. the non-TCP/IP kind) is happening. Is it really that shocking that if you're a indie developer at E3 to (a) travel with multiple devices to a technical event, (b) have source code on the laptop that you're potentially demo'ing with? Honestly, I don't find the scenario much different than someone leaving a unattended purse by the hotel pool bar and finding it gone.

And along the lines of what Armengar said: encrypted hard drives likely should be the standard on mobile devices (and not just ones you take to E3). It seems like it should be something you need to go out of your way to disable on any kind of mobile storage device.

10. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 12:24 Kawlisse

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 10:07:
Is there a good reason to carry your source code with you to a trade show? And to the pool bar, at that?

haha yeah, I blame EA for this theft !

9. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 12:24 Armengar

Thats ok because its encrypted right? Your livlihood and life on one laptop, it MUST be encrypted right? At the very least bitlocker yeah?

/facepalm

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo