Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 13:44 Cutter

What caught me about the above paragraph was that he claims to put consumers first, but doesnít go into any details as to what that means. He states clear examples for what publishers and retailers care about and what they gain from the trade-offs, but no mention of what a consumer might want to get out of the product or what trade-offs the other parties have made to satisfy consumers.

MS must think everyone else in the world are just idiots. This is their talking point, how "consumer first" they are, yet everything they're doing - and not just the Failbox - clearly shows they're the very antithesis of that. They can keep saying it all they like but they're not fooling anyone. Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 13:37 Pigeon

I think the only company who has promised lower prices after more stringent DRM and sort of come through on that promise has been Valve with Steam. Even in that case I think its more because someone realized they can continue to make a good profit off an old game if they discount it after a year or so, or hold sales.

Publishers and developers have been giving this same song and dance for the last 20 years.

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:27:
I remember EA saying once that they felt digital sales devalued games, these companies are not just going to kill used games and suddenly start doing what Steam does, they do not fundamentally believe in it. The whole thing is about control and that's why people should push back on it. The publishers didn't hold a gun to Microsofts head and make them do this either.

Exactly. I love that Mehdi is coming up with this fairy tale of "Well, we kill the used market and ram all these restrictions up your ass, so suddenly publishers are going to slash prices OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS!"

When EA, Activision and their ilk read that quote, they probably all went "He said WHAT? That motherfucker crazy."

Creston

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 13:17 NegaDeath

PunkiBastardo wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 12:43:
So... if I read that right, you're basically watching a movie that asks you to press some buttons from time to time and the only difference between nailing it and leaving the controller on a table is the final score?.

Gaming of the future for sure! Basically a dancing game

The return of the Sega CD.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 13:04 Beamer

PHJF wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:29:
If more games made money, and all games made more money, more games would be made.

And then fewer games would make money because 95% of the customer base can't afford to buy more games for $60-$70 each, and then fewer publishers would be willing to take risks, and then fewer games would be made.

Ok, aside from statistics being made up, this clearly isn't true.
Used games come at a 10% discount. At best. A new $60 game sells used for $55, which isn't even 10%. A new $20 game sells used for $17.99.

Even if you want to incorporate buy-backs, GameStop takes, what, $9 for a brand new title still selling at $60 and rapidly falls from there?

That means that a new $60 game can be bought for $46. But, with sales, it usually hits that within 6 months.

Lastly, what you're really forgetting is that the people that can't afford to buy more games for $60 (for the love of god stop making up new game prices! Why is this board obsessed with it?) and buy used then Microsoft and publishers don't care about them! If they wait until it hits $40 then Microsoft and the publisher get something like $20. If they trade in an older game and buy the new one used then Microsoft and the publisher get $0. Those are literally customers that are giving the people creating the game no money.
If they buy fewer games per year, but more new games, they're putting more money into the industry and less in GameStop's coffers.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 12:43 PunkiBastardo

Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 12:31:
Apparently in Ryse the QTEs complete themselves if you botch them, derptastic.

So... if I read that right, you're basically watching a movie that asks you to press some buttons from time to time and the only difference between nailing it and leaving the controller on a table is the final score?.

Gaming of the future for sure! Basically a dancing game

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 12:31 Verno

Apparently in Ryse the QTEs complete themselves if you botch them, derptastic.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 12:04 Hellbinder

maybe its time for the return of reading books for entertainment. like actual books.

I feel like i woke up in a bad sliders episode with all the crazy 1984 crap going on in every area of our lives.

The Whales name is Bob.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 11:38 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:27:
I remember EA saying once that they felt digital sales devalued games, these companies are not just going to kill used games and suddenly start doing what Steam does, they do not fundamentally believe in it. The whole thing is about control and that's why people should push back on it. The publishers didn't hold a gun to Microsofts head and make them do this either.

Exactly. I love that Mehdi is coming up with this fairy tale of "Well, we kill the used market and ram all these restrictions up your ass, so suddenly publishers are going to slash prices OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS!"

When EA, Activision and their ilk read that quote, they probably all went "He said WHAT? That motherfucker crazy."

Creston

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 11:30 Verno

If games made more money, publishers would just increase their margin and dividends. There is no evidence to support them taking more risk, quite the opposite many publishers just settle into established franchises when they achieve success. The idea that Call of Duty funds more artistic efforts doesn't really hold water the way it used to either thanks to self publishing platforms for developers.  

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 11:29 PHJF

If more games made money, and all games made more money, more games would be made.

And then fewer games would make money because 95% of the customer base can't afford to buy more games for $60-$70 each, and then fewer publishers would be willing to take risks, and then fewer games would be made.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 11:27 Verno

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 11:22 Creston

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:09:
The first thing they are going to complain about is the game sharing policy of the XB1 because to them they are only making 1/10 of what they assume they should be making.

Absolutely. Sell one copy, ten people all over the world get to play it? Yeah, that's not going to fly. (Btw, from how MS keeps saying it, it sounds to me like if a single person is playing a single game from your library, everyone else is shut out from every other game.)

But even so, they'll still bitch about it.

Mehdi knows this, of course, but he has to try to conjure SOME kind of advantage for his TVBox. "No, no, once we kill the used market, publishers will become your friends! Trust us! You'll get games for $10, and they'll throw in free health insurance for a year! Really! Trust us! Hello? HELLO? IS THIS THING ON??!"

Creston

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 11:09 LurkerLito

"Xbox One sharing groups not restricted to family."

No chance it won't be severely limited after a short time of it being 10 people at launch.

PSN purchases use to be similar, up to 5 people could share the game on different consoles, publishers complained because people were taking advantage of the system, and it's now a max of 2. So yeah maybe at launch you'll be able to "share" games, but in 3-6 months of people sharing their games with each other, they will change their policies to be significantly more restrictive.

MS is fooling themselves if they believe for one second the publishers will give more value to their products because games can't be resold. The first thing they are going to complain about is the game sharing policy of the XB1 because to them they are only making 1/10 of what they assume they should be making.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 11:02 Creston

As for CDProject, I mean, give the guys a break. What are they going to do, NOT release on one of the two next major consoles? Especially at first the TVBox will sell about just as well as the PS4 since there'll be very limited numbers in the stores. The projected disparancy won't happen until 2-5 years out.

You can't blame them for releasing on the TVBox, even if that means they have to put up with the horseshit that MS is going to inflict on its consumers (They come first! Really! They get nothing but restrictions, but they were first in our minds!)

If I was CDProjekt, I'd put a little notice at the start of the game that says "We're sorry about this draconian DRM. It wasn't our choice to inflict this upon you. Get it from GOG DRM free!"

Creston

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:51 Creston

Microsoft "hopes" that publishers will provide more value to customers yadda yadda.

Why would they, MS? You're the one that eliminated the problem for them, and handed them the keys to the solution on a golden platter. Why on earth would they now "add more value?" All they see is KACHING-CHING!

And for all their pooh-poohing and insane spending of money to try to hide PS4 games, you know Yusuf Mehdi and his fellow clowns are getting pretty worried. If polls hold true (big IF, I know), the PS4 is going to outsell the TVBox by three to four-hundred percent. That's not competition, that's slaughter.

And now they just come across as desperately trying to come up with SOME way to convince people to get their TVBox. Well, sorry Yusuf & Gang. You shit your bed; now wallow in it.

Also, is the 330,000 asteroids thing supposed to be impressive or something? My PHONE can do that.

Creston

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:49 SirKnight

Microsoft- Xbox One's "infinite cloud power" can track 330,000 asteroids in space

But can it track the number of people buying a PS4 instead?

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:42 Beamer

avianflu wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 10:01:
the "cloud" in this instance will just be another form of DRM imposed by MS and game pubs.

"Microsoft Hopes Publishers Will Provide More Value To Consumers If Xbox One Games Canít Be Resold."

the above is beyond bogus. Game pubs are going to package DLC similarly across the platforms as they always have. It would make no sense for them not to.

The "value" is that more games would be profitable, and therefore more/riskier games would be made.

And, ultimately, that would be true. If more games made money, and all games made more money, more games would be made. But... it's tenuous at best.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:28 nin

Microsoft- Xbox One's "infinite cloud power" can track 330,000 asteroids in space. So there's that.

I guess XBOne buyers can mount the camera on the roof then, and run the cable down? Fun times!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:26 HorrorScope

"Microsoft: Xbox One's "infinite cloud power" can track 330,000 asteroids in space"

How can you put a number to infinite? It should be able to track all asteroids and still have room to spare. The whole article is putting limits on the cloud, 7x an XBone. But it is infinite, limitless? Why then just 7x.

This is Kinect lies all over again.

Show me! Show me! Show me! Stop talking fantasy.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:08 Pigeon

There is only one cloud and its name is The Cloud and Xbox One is its profit.  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo