Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Evil Within Trailer

Here's an E3 trailer showing off the first look at gameplay from The Evil Within, the upcoming survival horror game. The clip is accompanied by an interview with Bethesda's Pete Hines, with the chipper conversation standing in contrast with the atmospheric horror visuals.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 14, 2013, 04:54 Acleacius

Fantaz wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 00:08:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 22:29:
Worst possible engine choice, such low quality design.

id Tech 5 is a great engine, but it doesn't looks like they're putting it to good use. If Call of Duty still runs off a highly modified Quake 3 engine, then the id Tech 5 engine still has a lot of life left.
I respectfully disagree. Until 1998 when Unreal engine (Duke 3D as well to a lesser extent) showed the world "Outside Life in the Tunnels" we had no other choice to accept id engine games.

It took fully 12 years after Unreal until id tech 5 Rage was made. Before carmack couldn't make a engine to run outdoors with any respectable quality. I still remember the first time I looked out the window in Doom 3, thought the textures were 8-16 bit skies. Now even with that 12 years Rage World Textures looked like crap. They even released a huge texture pack addon for PCs and it still looked like crap.

This doesn't even cover carmack's personal behavior/attitude, including his infamous "don't care what fans and customers want" comment. Or how when id officers/owners tried to steer carmack away from just doing a updated graphics without updated gameplay of Doom, as Doom 3 he fired them. Of course they were right and carmack was wrong, gameplay was 10 years old, repetitive and boring.

Not to mention Doom 3 engine was complete crap at release. Remember multiplayer? Remember how hideous the game looked with all the craptastic mapping effects were turned off? I remember several threads here on Blue's with screen shots showing the difference included.

Unless something has changed in the design of id 5, even new gen consoles with more power, Rage will look low quality for them, too. Their only saving grace they have is console gamers typically sit 5 ft or more away from the screen, so they possibly won't notice the pixelated textures.

Then there's the fact, why the hell does Rage need to be 20+ gig to have the level of graphic, while all the other major engines have higher quality with less than half the game size.

Imo, unless something happens to improve the low quality design of id 5, this is really going to come back and bite Bethesda in the rhinoceros.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 14, 2013, 00:41 siapnar

NKD wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 00:13:
I dunno what y'all are smoking. I don't know if the game is going to be any good, but it has the graphical mood right.
Agreed, seems like the atmosphere is nailed pretty good, although it could be darker

I have projectile dysfunction.

4. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 14, 2013, 00:13 NKD

I dunno what y'all are smoking. I don't know if the game is going to be any good, but it has the graphical mood right.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 14, 2013, 00:08 Fantaz

Acleacius wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 22:29:

id Tech 5 is a great engine, but it doesn't looks like they're putting it to good use. If Call of Duty still runs off a highly modified Quake 3 engine, then the id Tech 5 engine still has a lot of life left.

2. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 13, 2013, 22:29 Acleacius

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 13, 2013, 21:52 ItBurn

Oh boy, they're using the Rage engine... I hope they're using the extra memory for textures! I'm a guy who dislikes plain colored polygons. Can't say that I would call what I saw scary... It's as scary as god of war... Bit early to tell, but I was never a fan of the resident evil format.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo