Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 14:14 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 03:28:
The consumer is not their audience. The publishers are their audience.

This. I gigglesnorted when I read EA's denial that they had anything to do with MS going this route. Yeah, it was pure coincidence that you guys canceled the online pass bullshit five days prior to MS announcing that they'd shit all over the used market. Rolleyes

One of today's linked articles said it very succinctly. Mehdi pretends that the customer is #1, but the only benefits he's mentioning are benefits for MS and the Publishers. There are no benefits for consumers to be found anywhere.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:45 nin

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 02:17:
robdot wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 01:03:
I have 3 consoles, and when there are on, they are "always on". My current 360 is always on. My tv is wifi, and when its on, the wifi is on. Always. So what? My laptop is online RIGHT NOW ! GASP !! All this drm stuff is the pirates fault. I hate and despise these people. and i dont pirate, so if a game publisher wants to check my code, im cool with it. See, if i buy a new car, ford doesnt tell me what i can do with it, who i can lend it to, or sell it to. But, i cant take my ford home, make 1000 copies and give them to my friends either, if i did that, and other people did that, i bet you ford would be pretty pissed off. If i can share my games with family members (grandkids) on their consoles, at their house, then we are gonna fucking love this system. IF thats how it works, microsoft is being unclear. But there could be some awesome benefits to this idea and its possible microsoft is ahead of the game. Can we co op with one game? I dunno, they are being really stupid and not stressing the benefits to the consumer.
Is this guy serious? Do you work for Microsoft or something? There are NO benefits and no you can't share you games.

I think he's related to deqer...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 07:18 Redmask

I have 3 consoles, and when there are on, they are "always on". My current 360 is always on. My tv is wifi, and when its on, the wifi is on. Always. So what? My laptop is online RIGHT NOW ! GASP !! All this drm stuff is the pirates fault. I hate and despise these people. and i dont pirate, so if a game publisher wants to check my code, im cool with it. See, if i buy a new car, ford doesnt tell me what i can do with it, who i can lend it to, or sell it to. But, i cant take my ford home, make 1000 copies and give them to my friends either, if i did that, and other people did that, i bet you ford would be pretty pissed off. If i can share my games with family members (grandkids) on their consoles, at their house, then we are gonna fucking love this system. IF thats how it works, microsoft is being unclear. But there could be some awesome benefits to this idea and its possible microsoft is ahead of the game. Can we co op with one game? I dunno, they are being really stupid and not stressing the benefits to the consumer.

There is no way Microsoft is going to let you share games simultaneously with several family members when they are moving to a 1 license per copy model. Your car analogy doesn't work either, you can resell your car if you want and you can't make 1000 copies of games either. That's to the consumers benefit but it's also to the publishers, they can sell them in perpetuity. DRM has nothing to do with pirates either, piracy on the consoles was incredibly low last generation.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 04:26 InBlack

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 21:36:
PS4’s used game policy isn’t “because some other company is doing something”.
That's such a lie. There is no doubt Sony had some crazy DRM schemes in mind before Microsoft dropped the ball. Why do you think they were so tight lipped about PS4 before E3? Don't act like Sony is some pure, angelic company that cares about the customer first and foremost.

Remember, this is the same company who invented Securom, was caught red handed in the BGM scandel(installing rootkits) and has been a big supporter and abuser of copyright protection in the past.

Which is why competition is a great thing for the consumer.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 03:28 jdreyer

I get it. The restrictions don't bother you and you like to play contrarian.

Let's use your Ford example. Ford sells you a truck, and no you can't make copies of it. Most people who buy games also don't make copies of them. Most people don't know how to copy a BRD. Protecting against console piracy is a strawman argument.

Ford doesn't tell you who you can lend your truck to, but MS tells you who you can lend your games to. You can only lend or sell it once. And only someone in your friends list for 30 days. Let's say Ford said you could only lend your truck or resell it once. And only to someone who had registered with Ford as your associate 30 days prior. Would you buy a car from someone who placed that restriction on you? Didn't think so.

Your dream of using your games on your grandkid's console is just that: a dream. It will never happen. "I dunno, they are being really stupid and not stressing the benefits to the consumer." Of course they aren't being stupid. The consumer is not their audience. The publishers are their audience. The way the system is built and set up makes that obvious. Please wake up. You are being played. Why do you want a system that so obviously caters against the wishes of the consumer? Doesn't Sony's offering seem more appealing? Doesn't the PC seem even more appealing?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 03:13 saluk

Can you please tell me the benefits to the consumer? The problem with these always online things is that they always break. You, someone who does not pirate, are happy to accept a system that will break and punish you for the sins of someone else who does pirate. You get home after a rough day of work, plop in your single player game to relax, and lo and behold; the system tells you it could not sync with the server, therefore it will not let you play games. We don't know the specifics of how this will work, but based on every always on drm that's been tried, this is not a far fetched scenario.

I shudder at the backlash on xbox one launch week when every single person who purchased the console is unable to use them because the registration system borked out under load. Microsoft probably will have it under control; but you never know with these things.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 02:17 Rattlehead

Is this guy serious? Do you work for Microsoft or something? There are NO benefits and no you can't share you games.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 01:03 robdot

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 23:47 jdreyer

Xbox One check-in will need "kilobytes, not megabytes."

Microsoft's Phil Spencer says even phone tethering will be sufficient to meet requirement

IT SHOULD NEVER NEED TO PHONE HOME. AT ALL. EVER.

Okay, I'm done.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 23:44 jdreyer

That's such a lie. There is no doubt Sony had some crazy DRM schemes in mind before Microsoft dropped the ball. Why do you think they were so tight lipped about PS4 before E3? Don't act like Sony is some pure, angelic company that cares about the customer first and foremost.

Remember, this is the same company who invented Securom, was caught red handed in the BGM scandel(installing rootkits) and has been a big supporter and abuser of copyright protection in the past.

Japan has some of the strictest and most draconian anti piracy laws on the planet. Lobbying is spearheaded by Sony.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 22:27 Redmask

I don't really care for the reasoning, the end result is better for me. No corporation is out to be my friend, sell me a product the way I want it and I'm happy.

Xbox check in bullshit

The Xbox check in sucks because its a check in, not because of the amount of data required. It is totally pointless and unnecessary for them to push this hard when people still have to purchase discs.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 21:49 nin

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 21:41:

Meanwhile the competition requires zerobytes.

Win!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 21:41 Prez

Meanwhile the competition requires zerobytes.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 21:36 Rattlehead

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 21:36 Cutter

"We expect more people will gradually shift to all-digital, but it isn't going to happen overnight," Yoshida continued. "There are some parts of the world that still don't have robust Internet infrastructure. We want to do business worldwide, so it's very important to provide people what they want."

Now that's good thinking and why the Failbox will ultimately fail.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo