Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

19. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 16:39 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:03:
Panickd wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:44:
Not sure whatever happened to the whole idea of Free Speech. You know, "I don't support what you say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it!"? Remember? So important that they made it number 1 on the bill of rights in a country where everyone loves their gun but guns got second billing!

People really need to stop believing that they have the God given right to not be offended. You don't. In fact the whole idea of free speech inherently means that you probably will be offended quite regularly. And the anonymity of the Internet assures that.

No one is saying anything against Free Speech here, except for you, ironically.

Yeah, except everyone saying you can't make jokes about rape or make bigoted statements. That's free speech whether you like it or not. Again, you don't have the right to not be offended so suck it up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 16:38 Rhino

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:59:
Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:58:
It's really simple, if you had a friend or family member that had been raped, you wouldn't find rape jokes very funny, nor would you defend them.

Anyone that thinks rape jokes are funny and tries to justify them, needs a reality check.

"If you were emotionally vulnerable to situation X or Y, you wouldn't find X or Y funny or appropriate or right." is a pretty poor argument.

If I had PTSD, I wouldn't find running up behind someone with a paper bag and popping it funny, but I'm not going to bitch at people for doing it.

Just because something offends me, doesn't mean I'm going to get upset when everyone else is just like "What's the big deal?"

I don't agree with that comparison. Popping a paper bag is sort of a general, non-specific prank. You may not consider it funny, but it's not specifically directed at PTSD in this example, and could be considered sort of a gray area. On the other hand, a joke that is specifically about PTSD is a completely different beast.

17. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 16:17 Krovven

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:59:
It's really simple, if you had a friend or family member that had been raped, you wouldn't find rape jokes very funny, nor would you defend them.

Anyone that thinks rape jokes are funny and tries to justify them, needs a reality check.

"If you were emotionally vulnerable to situation X or Y, you wouldn't find X or Y funny or appropriate or right." is a pretty poor argument.

If I had PTSD, I wouldn't find running up behind someone with a paper bag and popping it funny, but I'm not going to bitch at people for doing it.

Just because something offends me, doesn't mean I'm going to get upset when everyone else is just like "What's the big deal?"

If you don't see the difference between making jokes about a violent sex crime and popping a paper bag, you are a fucking idiot.

Knowingly popping a paper bag behind someone with PTSD, is not funny. Popping a paper bag behind anyone else, funny. Making jokes about PTSD in-general, not funny. Making jokes about raping people, regardless of whether they have been a victim of the crime, is not funny.

If I came to where you lived, raped your mother, daughter, sister, brother, or father...that would be freaking hilarious wouldn't it?

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 16:27.

16. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 15:59 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 15:58 RollinThundr

PHJF wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:50:
“Just let it happen. It’ll be over soon.”

That's pretty tame for gamer trash talk.

It's typical PC lefttards overreacting as usual. They have to promote the huge war on women social issue they've created.

14. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 15:50 PHJF

“Just let it happen. It’ll be over soon.”

That's pretty tame for gamer trash talk.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 15:03 Beamer

Not sure whatever happened to the whole idea of Free Speech. You know, "I don't support what you say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it!"? Remember? So important that they made it number 1 on the bill of rights in a country where everyone loves their gun but guns got second billing!

People really need to stop believing that they have the God given right to not be offended. You don't. In fact the whole idea of free speech inherently means that you probably will be offended quite regularly. And the anonymity of the Internet assures that.

No one is saying anything against Free Speech here, except for you, ironically.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 15:01 mag

Do you see the government coming down on these people? Where is their freedom of speech being limited?

You have the right to freedom of speech. And everyone else has the right to call you out on it. And companies have the right to not provide a platform for you to say it.

11. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 14:58 Krovven

10. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 14:44 Panickd

9. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 14:28 D-Rock

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:09:
Rolleyes

There are myriad reasons we have black/dark/gallows humour. It helps us cope with the pressures of life.

Finally, someone who gets it. We need to be able to laugh at issues like this before we address them. Yes, it's something that should be taken seriously, but until people can learn to not get their panties in a bunch over every little thing that is said, it will never end.

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:09:
While I agree that people should always be more aware and considerate where possible...

Absolutely. And when consideration like this doesn't happen, the best thing to do is just...ignore it! The things that were said were not appropriate and the fact that it got this much attention will only encourage future behavior of the same type. Ignore, shun, let the social unacceptance take its toll on the perpetrator's career. It works -- maybe not overnight, but people like that tend to not remain in environments that don't suit them...

8. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 14:09 Cutter

Rolleyes

As someone else mentioned there, what the fuck every happened to sticks and stones? Remember when your parents used to tell you that? That life was tough and you needed to suck it up, buttercup. Yes, it's 'off-colour' and distasteful, but there's also no reason to make a mountain out of a molehill. Just because the guy said something in bad form you'd think he was actually out advocating for rape. There are myriad reasons we have black/dark/gallows humour. It helps us cope with the pressures of life.

While I agree that people should always be more aware and considerate where possible, I also don't want to live in some Orwellian state where something like this constitutes thought-crime and you're shipped off to the "re-education centers" for thinking it. Ever read about people that got sent to these things in Russia and China? Not pleasant. No where is it written that you get to go through life without being offended.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 14:05 Beamer

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 13:36:
Just relax and take it, it'll be over soon Microsoft.

Soon?
10 years!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 13:36 NKD

Just relax and take it, it'll be over soon Microsoft.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

5. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 13:36 Wowbagger_TIP

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 12:39:
Well it's not often you will hear me say this. But I find (And I am not particularly a great defender of feminist nonsense) that the "joke" and whistling were both abysmal behavior and worthy to be shunned. You do that on the job and you are fired. But on the stage of the E3 Microsoft Event? Holy hell.

This got nothing to do with political correctness. Try doing this in an office and see the lawsuit incoming. Point: What kind of fucking retard makes a rape joke on stage, and then another fucking retarded does a whistling concert when a female PR dudess goes on stage... are only complete retards working in this industry or what.

As a male and not feminist I say, these 2 guys can go fuck off.

While the PC stuff often annoys me, this kind of crap is pervasive and just doesn't fly in the real world. Leave that shit in high school, where you should have outgrown it. On stage at a public event? Yeah... those guys are beyond moronic.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 13:30 jdreyer

What Creston said. Still, I thought "That's seriously F'd up" when I heard about it.

@Eraser, I responded to your Fermi Paradox post.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 12:39 eRe4s3r

Well it's not often you will hear me say this. But I find (And I am not particularly a great defender of feminist nonsense) that the "joke" and whistling were both abysmal behavior and worthy to be shunned. You do that on the job and you are fired. But on the stage of the E3 Microsoft Event? Holy hell.

This got nothing to do with political correctness. Try doing this in an office and see the lawsuit incoming. Point: What kind of fucking retard makes a rape joke on stage, and then another fucking retarded does a whistling concert when a female PR dudess goes on stage... are only complete retards working in this industry or what.

As a male and not feminist I say, these 2 guys can go fuck off.

2. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 12:30 Creston

I honestly don't think the guy was thinking "Oh, I'm playing against a woman, let's make a rape joke!"

He thought he was making a funny little smacktalk joke, and it backfired. He should just apologize, and then people need to let it go.

Even more annoying than this utterly prevalent PC attitude nowadays is PC-adherents' insistence to just keep chewing over the same shit like stale soup.

Creston

1. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 12:13 Burrito of Peace

They need to relax. It'll be over soon.  

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo