Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

39. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:08 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:00:
NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:49:
Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:46:
So the pro-rape crowd can buy Rare Inc. products, the rest of us will not. Rape jokes have no place especially at work. Hope the guy from Rare Inc. gets some unwanted man-lovin and finds it funny.

Accuses people of being pro-rape. Says rape jokes have no place.

Then proceeds to say he hopes man gets raped, and not just raped, but raped by another man.

Interesting.

I'm not making a joke, I truly would think karma is wonderful if the guy from Rare Inc. got to experience what he finds funny. I'm against rape, but I'm ok with the Rare Inc. guy getting some as he seems to think it's not a big deal.

Rape seems like the appropriate punishment for an inappropriate joke... oh wait.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:07 Beamer

LittleMe wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:43:
Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:36:
Somehow, to a lot of morons who tend to be hardcore libertarians, "freedom of speech" means "forced to not have any judgment." Because, when you judge someone negatively for what they say, idiots think you're somehow repressing their rights.

False. Strawman argument. "With freedoms come responsibility." That's a libertarian ideal. It means that just because we have the freedom, we still need to act responsibly. Google it.

And your associating morons as being hardcore libertarians is just more bigotry and that's exactly what this thread is about. Go look in a mirror.

Not false. Sorry, a lot of hardcore libertarians are morons. A lot of hardcore democrats are morons. A lot of virtually any group are morons.

You completely fail to comprehend anything if you think that what I said applied to all libertarians, though I will say that, as a whole, they're a naive bunch.

Also, you completely fail to understand virtually anything if you want to compare calling a segment of a group of people that share a political belief to people born with a certain skin tone.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:00 Julio

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:49:
So the pro-rape crowd can buy Rare Inc. products, the rest of us will not. Rape jokes have no place especially at work. Hope the guy from Rare Inc. gets some unwanted man-lovin and finds it funny.

Then proceeds to say he hopes man gets raped, and not just raped, but raped by another man.

Interesting.

I'm not making a joke, I truly would think karma is wonderful if the guy from Rare Inc. got to experience what he finds funny. I'm against rape, but I'm ok with the Rare Inc. guy getting some as he seems to think it's not a big deal.

36. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:49 NKD

Interesting.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

35. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:46 Julio

34. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:45 ventry

*sigh*
More overblown political correctness gone mad wankery.

Nothing in the comment.

There is plenty of hope and equality in the world for anyone no matter what sex you are or the color of your skin.

However there is NO hope if you are THIN-SKINNED.
End of story.

33. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:43 LittleMe

Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:36:
Somehow, to a lot of morons who tend to be hardcore libertarians, "freedom of speech" means "forced to not have any judgment." Because, when you judge someone negatively for what they say, idiots think you're somehow repressing their rights.

False. Strawman argument. "With freedoms come responsibility." That's a libertarian ideal. It means that just because we have the freedom, we still need to act responsibly. Google it.

And your associating morons as being hardcore libertarians is just more bigotry and that's exactly what this thread is about. Go look in a mirror.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

32. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:40 NKD

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:33:
Fact is you, nor anyone else, have a meaningful rationale as to why jokes about violent sex crimes are funny.

I'll bite. Why is it funny? It's funny because some people find it funny. Humor is subjective. You cannot objectively state that something isn't funny. You can't mandate away the fact that some people are going to find something funny. Sure, we can agree that certain jokes are bad ideas in certain situations. Just because you're allowed to find a joke funny, doesn't mean it's a good idea to say them whenever you want whereever you want.

Some people aren't going to find certain jokes funny. Some people will find them downright offensive and disgusting. But stand up comedians who are famously offensive and dirty still have their routines packing comedy clubs to the rafters.

You might not like it, but a lot of people enjoy dark humour. Why? I dunno, ask a shrink.

31. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:37 Beamer

LittleMe wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:34:
If the rape joke had been on a man would that make it better?

Do you know why this is a dumb question?

-------------

30. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:36 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:15:
Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:55:
Stop being dense. We're perfectly free to say that we don't think people should be able to make jokes about rape or make bigoted statements without being mocked and losing sales for it.
No one is saying that the government should arrest anyone making a joke about rape or bigoted speech. And, hell, that isn't free speech.
Except thats exactly what's happening now isn't it? Note "hate speech laws" and "human rights councils."

Two things you need to understand about free speech before you make an ass about yourself whining about it:
1) Freedom of speech means freedom from the government, not private entities or individuals. If I go into someone's house and call their mother a whore they're free to throw me out
Well no, that's not correct. Free speech applies to the general public to state whatever they want, it gives other members of the public to state what they want. Even to the point where public members may restrict your speech--though if you started saying it in front of their house/building/business that would be legal. It's meant to stop the government from running roughshod over people for saying whatever they want.

2) Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from repercussions of that speech. We have endless laws, civil and criminal, that penalize you for saying something stupid. If I write a book about how you enjoy killing kittens, you can sue me for it. If I yell "fire" in an airplane I can go to jail for it (technically you do not have the freedom to do this as it isn't protected speech.) Generally, the government can't stop you from saying something protected, but they can penalize you for it
In general it doesn't true, then again if you did write said book, that would be libel, maybe. Unless the author stated that that section was a literal fabrication. In which case, you fall right back to free speech. Yelling "fire in X" is different, and is a being that it endangers the public at large(see public mischief). And anytime the government penalizes you for saying something, you don't have freedom of speech. There is a fine line between endangering the public, and writing something/saying something as a literal fabrication to get a rise out of people. The latter *is* being penalized more and more these days. Even though it was considered free speech at one time, and it's all to protect someone's sensibilities.

Ug.
Except thats exactly what's happening now isn't it? Note "hate speech laws" and "human rights councils."

No, not really. I don't even get your point with "human rights councils." Do you think genocide should be protected speech? As to hate speech laws, well, hasn't stopped the Westborough Baptist Church, right? Their speech is protected.

Well no, that's not correct. Free speech applies to the general public to state whatever they want, it gives other members of the public to state what they want. Even to the point where public members may restrict your speech--though if you started saying it in front of their house/building/business that would be legal. It's meant to stop the government from running roughshod over people for saying whatever they want.

What isn't correct is your reading. Freedom of speech ONLY protects you from the government, as I said and as you said in your final sentence which agrees with me despite you saying "that's not correct." If you were my employee I could forbid you from saying anything I wanted.

In general it doesn't true, then again if you did write said book, that would be libel, maybe. Unless the author stated that that section was a literal fabrication. In which case, you fall right back to free speech. Yelling "fire in X" is different, and is a being that it endangers the public at large(see public mischief). And anytime the government penalizes you for saying something, you don't have freedom of speech. There is a fine line between endangering the public, and writing something/saying something as a literal fabrication to get a rise out of people. The latter *is* being penalized more and more these days. Even though it was considered free speech at one time, and it's all to protect someone's sensibilities. ]

You don't seem to fully grasp the exceptions to free speech. Libel and slander aren't protected, and you can't necessarily disclaim your way around it. Obscenity isn't protected. Threats aren't protected. Conspiracy and incitement to crime isn't protected.

But that doesn't matter here. Not a single person is claiming this guy should go to jail. People are claiming he's an asshole and no one should buy his product, because, when possible, it may be best to not buy products from assholes.

And, in this country, we're perfectly free to say that. Much like he was free to say what he did. But we're free to say he's a douchebag and not buy his product.

-------------

29. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:34 LittleMe

If the rape joke had been on a man would that make it better?

Perpetual debt is slavery.

28. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:33 Krovven

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:18:
And now thinly veiled threats of violence. And you think Cutter is nuts.

Rather sad that of my posts, that is the only thing you can comment on. You take offence to that, but think jokes about rape is appropriate.

Fact is you, nor anyone else, have a meaningful rationale as to why jokes about violent sex crimes are funny.

Those that want to defend jokes about rape or other violent crimes, just makes it really easy to know who to add to the ignore list.

27. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:32 RollinThundr

Panickd wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:03:
Panickd wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:44:
Not sure whatever happened to the whole idea of Free Speech. You know, "I don't support what you say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it!"? Remember? So important that they made it number 1 on the bill of rights in a country where everyone loves their gun but guns got second billing!

People really need to stop believing that they have the God given right to not be offended. You don't. In fact the whole idea of free speech inherently means that you probably will be offended quite regularly. And the anonymity of the Internet assures that.

No one is saying anything against Free Speech here, except for you, ironically.

Yeah, except everyone saying you can't make jokes about rape or make bigoted statements. That's free speech whether you like it or not. Again, you don't have the right to not be offended so suck it up.

Stop being dense. We're perfectly free to say that we don't think people should be able to make jokes about rape or make bigoted statements without being mocked and losing sales for it.

See. Free.

No one is saying that the government should arrest anyone making a joke about rape or bigoted speech. And, hell, that isn't free speech.

Two things you need to understand about free speech before you make an ass about yourself whining about it:
1) Freedom of speech means freedom from the government, not private entities or individuals. If I go into someone's house and call their mother a whore they're free to throw me out
2) Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from repercussions of that speech. We have endless laws, civil and criminal, that penalize you for saying something stupid. If I write a book about how you enjoy killing kittens, you can sue me for it. If I yell "fire" in an airplane I can go to jail for it (technically you do not have the freedom to do this as it isn't protected speech.) Generally, the government can't stop you from saying something protected, but they can penalize you for it

The fact that you liberals can take standard gaming trash talk, turn it into implied rape and then decry how wrong it is, no matter how many times I see shit like that it still astounds me each and every time.

26. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:26 D-Rock

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:16:
Trust me, rage posting is far better than what I'd do if you were standing in front of me stating that jokes about raping women is funny.

Really? Please, elaborate on what you'd do Mr. Mature-Adult-ToughGuy.

25. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:18 NKD

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:16:
Trust me, rage posting is far better than what I'd do if you were standing in front of me stating that jokes about raping women is funny.

And now thinly veiled threats of violence. And you think Cutter is nuts.

PropheT wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:17:
I don't know why anyone would think it's just gamers given the popularity of comedy acts and shows right now like Tosh.0 that go pretty far out there with sexism, racist jokes, rape jokes, and so on. Communal humor is almost always tied in to current popular comedy culture.

It ain't just gamers.

Yeah it's pretty silly to single out gamers. Dark humor is popular because it helps people look past the fact that our world is shitty and that there's really no point to being here. Bad things happen, with no rhyme or reason. Why do people do the things we do? We can't explain it, so we might as well laugh at it.

24. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:17 PropheT

I don't know why anyone would think it's just gamers given the popularity of comedy acts and shows right now like Tosh.0 that go pretty far out there with sexism, racist jokes, rape jokes, and so on. Communal humor is almost always tied in to current popular comedy culture.

It ain't just gamers.

23. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:16 Krovven

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:51:
If you're just gonna sit here and rage post, please be an adult and leave the discussion until you've calmed down.

Intelligent adults don't make jokes about violent crimes, or laugh at violent crimes. I've known several people that were either raped or molested as a child. It's no laughing matter. It haunts them for the rest of their lives. Some can't even live with themselves and commit suicide because of it.

So yes, I will rage post and continue to do so when insensitive small minded morons like you, think jokes about violent crimes is funny. Trust me, rage posting is far better than what I'd do if you were standing in front of me stating that jokes about raping women is funny.

Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight, Gina Dejesus, do you think it's funny they were held captive and repeatedly raped for over 10 years? Do you think the women in India that were gang raped on buses, is funny?
Do you think it's funny when a women doesn't feel safe walking down the street at night for fear of being attacked? Do you think it's funny that fathers rape their own little girls?

Maybe you and other just won't understand until you have a loved one that has been the victim.

22. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:15 Mashiki Amiketo

In general it doesn't true, then again if you did write said book, that would be libel, maybe. Unless the author stated that that section was a literal fabrication. In which case, you fall right back to free speech. Yelling "fire in X" is different, and is a being that it endangers the public at large(see public mischief). And anytime the government penalizes you for saying something, you don't have freedom of speech. There is a fine line between endangering the public, and writing something/saying something as a literal fabrication to get a rise out of people. The latter *is* being penalized more and more these days. Even though it was considered free speech at one time, and it's all to protect someone's sensibilities.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 16:55 Beamer

Panickd wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:03:
Panickd wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:44:
Not sure whatever happened to the whole idea of Free Speech. You know, "I don't support what you say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it!"? Remember? So important that they made it number 1 on the bill of rights in a country where everyone loves their gun but guns got second billing!

People really need to stop believing that they have the God given right to not be offended. You don't. In fact the whole idea of free speech inherently means that you probably will be offended quite regularly. And the anonymity of the Internet assures that.

No one is saying anything against Free Speech here, except for you, ironically.

Yeah, except everyone saying you can't make jokes about rape or make bigoted statements. That's free speech whether you like it or not. Again, you don't have the right to not be offended so suck it up.

See. Free.

-------------

20. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 16:51 NKD

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:17:
If I came to where you lived, raped your mother, daughter, sister, brother, or father...that would be freaking hilarious wouldn't it?

So making a comment that could be interpreted as being about rape is the equivalent of actually committing a rape. Got it.

If you're just gonna sit here and rage post, please be an adult and leave the discussion until you've calmed down.

Rhino wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:38:
I don't agree with that comparison. Popping a paper bag is sort of a general, non-specific prank. You may not consider it funny, but it's not specifically directed at PTSD in this example, and could be considered sort of a gray area. On the other hand, a joke that is specifically about PTSD is a completely different beast.

Fair point, but I'd argue that this phrase in particular was non-specific enough that it's entirely possible for someone to make it off the cuff during trash talk without any thought for what it actually means.

Especially considering it has some other contexts like for example something your mom might say to you when you're a kid crying about getting a shot.

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo