Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

59. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 22:25 Krovven

killer_roach wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 20:08:
That being said, I find your offloading of your own indignation onto hypothetical others hilarious.

Hypothetical others? I speak from personal experience from friends that were raped. Or are you suggesting that people that have had friends or family members raped, would find the topic something to joke about?

I've asked several times how funny they would find it if their own friends and family members were raped. None of them answered my questions. Fact is, they wouldn't find it funny at all and they have no intelligent response to it, because they know they are wrong.

Whether the joke is in a room full of thousands of people or 3 people, it's not something to joke about. I don't expect to change anybody's mind on the matter. It's up to them to think about how they would feel if it was something that happened to someone they love, if they would still think it's laughing matter.

If you think rape jokes are funny, go tell your wife, mother or daughter that you think rape is a joke. See how they react.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 22:35.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:45 Beamer

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:26:
Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:21:
You joked about Hitler and euthanasia in one sentence! That makes you even worse! Shocked

So curious if/or where you guys draw the line?

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?
Boston marathon bombing jokes?

All funny to you?

Depends on context and how institutionalized something is.
In general, though, this board is a bunch of affluent white males discussing who should be offended by what.

It isn't exactly a healthy conversation.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

57. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:27 NKD

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?

All funny to you?

I don't draw a line. And it's not about what's funny to me anyway. I don't expect anyone to share my exact taste in jokes. There are jokes I'd find a bit disgusting, but I'm not going to belittle people who do find them funny. I'm not going to be so arrogant to pretend that I understand how the human brain works and why certain people find certain things funny, while other people find them disgusting. I'm also not going to be so arrogant as to pass judgement on a person's entire life because of what jokes they laugh at.

Meanwhile, you sit here and say people and companies support rape, even though that's obviously ridiculous. Krovven threatens to beat people up for making jokes he finds offensive and calls people "little boys."

I can agree that certain jokes are inappropriate in certain settings, and people without tact should certainly have consequences appropriate to their lack of tact. But I'm not going to go beyond that. I'm not going to say jokes about a particular subject are always inappropriate, everywhere. And I'm certainly not going to belittle you, threaten you, or pass judgement on you for whatever your taste in jokes is.

People can find whatever they feel like to be funny, and it takes a special kind of arrogance to read anything more into it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

56. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:24 Prez

William Usher wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 20:11:
So uh...when Jack Bauer told Curtis to "Don't fight it...just let it happen" when he had him in a sleeper hold before escaping and doing his thing, he was actually raping Curtis?

I'm confused.

He ass-raped him afterwards, once he was knocked out.

EDIT: That joke should be okay right? It's only about a straight white dude. No one cares about that demographic. If it turns out he is a redneck Christian, I would probably be nominated for the Nobel Peace prize.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

55. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:13 Prez

You jokedi about Hitler and euthanasia in one sentence! That makes you even worse! Shocked

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?

All funny to you?

As they say in the comedy biz, it's all in the delivery. As far as what I consider off limits, that's easy. NOTHING. If a joke is funny, I laugh. If something funny occurs to me, I tell it. I don't go out of my way to offend people (though with all the hypersensitive habitually offended people around I imagine I do occasionally offend someone's delicate sensibilities) but I also don't go through life looking to be offended by everything on some misguided nobility crusade or worry about those who do. Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with the comment the guy made that lit off this goofy shitstorm, nor do I care what people think about me for saying that.

54. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:11 William Usher

So uh...when Jack Bauer told Curtis to "Don't fight it...just let it happen" when he had him in a sleeper hold before escaping and doing his thing, he was actually raping Curtis?

I'm confused.

53. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:08 killer_roach

You joked about Hitler and euthanasia in one sentence! That makes you even worse! Shocked

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?

All funny to you?

I have a pretty transgressive sense of humor - all of them, if you find the right angle, can be funny. That being said, there's a time and a place for all of them - a public event being streamed live over the Internet? Not one of those times.

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:55:
People-who-still-think-rape-jokes-are-funny

If you think rape jokes are funny, I can guarantee that if you have a loved one that has been raped, you won't find it funny any more. Real men don't think rape is funny, just sad little boys.

That being said, I find your offloading of your own indignation onto hypothetical others hilarious.

52. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 19:55 Krovven

People-who-still-think-rape-jokes-are-funny

If you think rape jokes are funny, I can guarantee that if you have a loved one that has been raped, you won't find it funny any more. Real men don't think rape is funny, just sad little boys.

51. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 19:26 Julio

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?

All funny to you?

50. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 19:21 Prez

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:55:
Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:48:
NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:43:
Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:31:
It's nice to see that a couple of people have some perspective and aren't being run by their emotions. Talk about absolutely asinine comparisons or hypotheticals - this thread takes the cake.

"I have a grandmother that died so no one can ever make a joke about old people again!! Waaah!" Give me a goddammed break.

No. Kidding. People want to talk about rape jokes? This thread is a god damn mental rape. I feel violated having even participated in it.

Haha! Good one. Uh-oh - I just laughed at your rape joke. I must be the scum of the earth.

I think hypersensitivity should be listed as a medical disorder. Doctors could treat it by mandatory daily doses of Louis C.K.

Wow dude you are LITERALLY HITLER. You should be EUTHANIZED immediately.

49. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:55 NKD

It's nice to see that a couple of people have some perspective and aren't being run by their emotions. Talk about absolutely asinine comparisons or hypotheticals - this thread takes the cake.

"I have a grandmother that died so no one can ever make a joke about old people again!! Waaah!" Give me a goddammed break.

No. Kidding. People want to talk about rape jokes? This thread is a god damn mental rape. I feel violated having even participated in it.

Haha! Good one. Uh-oh - I just laughed at your rape joke. I must be the scum of the earth.

I think hypersensitivity should be listed as a medical disorder. Doctors could treat it by mandatory daily doses of Louis C.K.

Wow dude you are LITERALLY HITLER. You should be EUTHANIZED immediately.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

48. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:52 Julio

Uh-oh - I just laughed at your rape joke. I must be the scum of the earth.

You'd make a good Rare Inc. employee it seems.

47. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:50 Julio

When you join a discussion thread about one topic...rape jokes, what else do you think is in it? Not like anyone forced you into the thread to be violated.

46. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:48 Prez

45. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:46 Julio

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:27:
Making a joke about something means you support something?
If I make a joke about rape, I support being a rapist?
Huh. News to me.

If you make a rape joke at work in public, you don't view rape as a significant issue. Therefore I'd suggest that it appears the 'public rape joke guy' from Rare Inc is not against rape.

Make all the rape jokes you want to your friends in the privacy of your home - if that's what you're into, and you think rape is a laughing matter. Not sure you would if you knew someone who was, or if it happened to you. But in public at work suggests a stronger level of support for rape.

I'll go as far as say that if this guy still has a job, Rare Inc. might as well advertise that they support rape.

44. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:43 NKD

43. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:31 Prez

D-Rock wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:28:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:09:
Rolleyes

There are myriad reasons we have black/dark/gallows humour. It helps us cope with the pressures of life.

Finally, someone who gets it. We need to be able to laugh at issues like this before we address them. Yes, it's something that should be taken seriously, but until people can learn to not get their panties in a bunch over every little thing that is said, it will never end.

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:09:
While I agree that people should always be more aware and considerate where possible...

Absolutely. And when consideration like this doesn't happen, the best thing to do is just...ignore it! The things that were said were not appropriate and the fact that it got this much attention will only encourage future behavior of the same type. Ignore, shun, let the social unacceptance take its toll on the perpetrator's career. It works -- maybe not overnight, but people like that tend to not remain in environments that don't suit them...

42. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:27 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:19:
NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:08:
Rape seems like the appropriate punishment for an inappropriate joke... oh wait.

If rape is a joke to him, sure why not? He's not against it if he thinks its a funny public joke to make at work.

Making a joke about something means you support something?

If I make a joke about terrorism, I support being a terrorist?

If I make a joke about racism, I support being a racist?

If I make a joke about rape, I support being a rapist?

Huh. News to me.

41. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:19 Julio

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:08:
Rape seems like the appropriate punishment for an inappropriate joke... oh wait.

If rape is a joke to him, sure why not? He's not against it if he thinks its a funny public joke to make at work.

40. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:14 PHJF

More overblown political correctness gone mad wankery.

Heh, pretty much. He didn't even say "rape" and everyone is up in arms about his "rape joke". I'd hate to see how indignant some of these people would get from the vernacular found in the average CS or CoD pub.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo