Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

79. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 16:53 William Usher

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 12:21:

[snip] But what kind of fucked up parenting brings someone up doing the wolf whistle on a MICROSOFT PR EVENT (it's bad enough there are still cretins around doing it in public in bars and clubs (Although I have seen clubs that threw people out for doing it))

Whoa, wow...so wolf whistling is now sexist and the result of bad parenting? Wow.

Also, you can get ejected from a club for wolf whistling? Really? So using non-verbal gestures to indicate that someone is worth whistling to is now misogynistic and sexist?

Oh boy. Does this also apply as being rude and inappropriate if a guy does it to another guy?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 16:18 Julio

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 14:18:
And shit like this damages our hobby, every single fuck up a bit more and a bit more.

Absolutely agree. Each of these types of incidents continues the impression that gamers live in their parents basement and are a bunch of pervs. Why is gaming perceived as a strange hobby? Guys like the one who works at Rare Inc make it that way.

77. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 14:18 eRe4s3r

Hence I say "people" not "men" Sidenote: I hate 99.99% of all people....

But you ask "So What?" and I say, THIS. This is your hobby. This is MY hobby. We are GAMERS. And shit like this damages our hobby, every single fuck up a bit more and a bit more.

I don't care at all about the women involved in this particular event, or what they want or don't want. I only care about what I want. And I don't want my hobby to be under constant assault because idiots can't keep their dirty thoughts and retarded behavior shut up inside when a camera aims at them. And let's face it, if you are nervous while playing the damned GAME you made against a total noob (be it women or not), you should probably not be making games and you should definitely not be the guy to show it to a business crowd.

My entire and only interest in this is that another 2 idiots damaged my hobby. And believe me, in all my years of gaming I never saw or heard anyone use that phrase, or anything even remotely like it. This was a deliberate phrase because he gamed a women. And that is beyond "poor choice of words"

**Sidenote: I wasn't clear who I meant, sorry, didn't mean you, just was lazy separating my thoughts Using the "you" like that is a method to talk about "someone" but not anyone in particular in a flowing sentence.

... in the future I will be more concise

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2013, 14:34.

76. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 12:35 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 12:21:
But the basic premise is not about the .. I hate calling it a joke... ~.+ but rather about the behavior when you interact with a female. Didn't your parents teach you decency and common behavior when interacting with women? Of course they did. But what kind of fucked up parenting brings someone up doing the wolf whistle on a MICROSOFT PR EVENT (it's bad enough there are still cretins around doing it in public in bars and clubs (Although I have seen clubs that threw people out for doing it))

First of all the trash talking was not a rape comment, it didn't involve the word or act of rape and people are just choosing to interpret it that way. I'm done with that portion of this, it was some nervous moron with a poor choice of words, whoop de doo. Second why should I take responsibility for some idiot wolf whistling in a crowd? I didn't do it, neither did you. It's a fucking crowd of thousands of people, chances are some idiot there (male or female) wasn't raised well and is going to do something stupid. So what? I'm sure Bonnie Ross has heard worse in her day and she can speak for herself. The idea that women need men to champion and defend them is pretty hilarious and ironically misogynistic, it's more about the man's ego than it is protection of women's rights.

BTW I'm not sure when the last time you were at a bar was but men aren't the only ones being loud, crass and rude there.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2013, 12:41.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

75. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 12:21 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 09:12:
Anyways this whole thing is silly, the guy had a very unfortunate choice of words but its pretty obvious they happened in the moment and he clearly wasn't making a damned rape joke at a massive public event.

But the basic premise is not about the .. I hate calling it a joke... ~.+ but rather about the behavior when you interact with a female. Didn't your parents teach you decency and common behavior when interacting with women? Of course they did. But what kind of fucked up parenting brings someone up doing the wolf whistle on a MICROSOFT PR EVENT (it's bad enough there are still cretins around doing it in public in bars and clubs (Although I have seen clubs that threw people out for doing it))

You will never see supporting fembot propaganda and drivel, but this is not that. This is actual real misbehavior by 2 idiots that should NOT be there (the behavior that is). Among absolute best gamer friends this kind of talk would maybe be OK, but not on a public stage.

Maybe if we looked at this completely ignoring all the stuff going on before...

74. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 09:12 Verno

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 09:08:
I dunno, I was kind of turned on. Krovven is so sexy when he's raging like a loon... which is always.

I thought he had really turned a corner recently, I didn't see any of the usual antisocial behavior and silliness from the past. Then I read this thread and just facepalm'd

Anyways this whole thing is silly, the guy had a very unfortunate choice of words but its pretty obvious they happened in the moment and he clearly wasn't making a damned rape joke at a massive public event.

73. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 09:08 Prez

... they don't need faux tough guy defenders posturing on the internet in some silly display of machismo that impresses no one.

I dunno, I was kind of turned on. Krovven is so sexy when he's raging like a loon... which is always.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

72. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 08:45 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:16:
So yes, I will rage post and continue to do so when insensitive small minded morons like you, think jokes about violent crimes is funny. Trust me, rage posting is far better than what I'd do if you were standing in front of me stating that jokes about raping women is funny.

There's some amusing hypocrisy there, intimating physical violence as a response to other physical and sexual violence. Rape victims need counseling and a support system, they don't need faux tough guy defenders posturing on the internet in some silly display of machismo that impresses no one. In the real world where you can't just beat up everyone you dislike, you tend to go to jail for committing assault because you didn't like someone elses joke, then you lose your job and your life goes to shit.

The worst part is that you were raging about nothing since no one was saying that they want to run around spamming rape jokes to victims. Who cares what someone else finds funny? The thing that spawned this whole topic wasn't even a rape joke, it was some idiots misinterpreted trash talking during a video game conference.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2013, 08:50.

71. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 07:58 Prez

Julio wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 06:24:
NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 03:55:
Now aside from raving lunatics like Krovven who thinks a beatdown is the appropriate response to a joke you don't like, or Julio who thinks joking about rape means you're a rapist and should therefore be raped, I'm pretty sure we can get behind the idea that the guy deserves some kind of mild reprimand for being careless during a public presentation.

But I still think attempting to judge someone's entire being based on what jokes they laugh at is just good ol' prejudice.

I'm fully comfortable being called prejudiced against rapists and those who don't take rape seriously. I'll save the 'raving lunatic' classification for you guys who think rape is a joke. If and when it happens to you or someone you care about, remember to "Just let it happen, it will be over soon" and remember that's it's funny.

Hmmm, not so rational... Dunce

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 06:24 Julio

NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 03:55:
Now aside from raving lunatics like Krovven who thinks a beatdown is the appropriate response to a joke you don't like, or Julio who thinks joking about rape means you're a rapist and should therefore be raped, I'm pretty sure we can get behind the idea that the guy deserves some kind of mild reprimand for being careless during a public presentation.

But I still think attempting to judge someone's entire being based on what jokes they laugh at is just good ol' prejudice.

I'm fully comfortable being called prejudiced against rapists and those who don't take rape seriously. I'll save the 'raving lunatic' classification for you guys who think rape is a joke. If and when it happens to you or someone you care about, remember to "Just let it happen, it will be over soon" and remember that's it's funny.

69. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 03:55 NKD

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 03:25:
I'm normally mostly on board with being "politically correct" (polite) but this reaction, though not unexpected, seems a bit much for what was said and a whistle.

I have to say that I disagree in the strongest way possible with your insinuation that being "politically correct" and "polite" are the same thing, because they aren't. Being polite is something everyone is taught from childhood if your parents are worth a damn - saying "yes/no sir/ma'am" "please" and "thank you", etc. political correctness is a fucking bullshit agenda-push by special interest groups playing as the thought police.

Yeah polite and PC are NOT the same. The whole idea behind being politically correct is adhering to some above-and-beyond standard for non-offensiveness. It's not meant to be a standard for normal human being, it's for....wait for it... politicians! Or other people whose words are being routinely dissected.

As for everyone else, look, I don't think anyone disagrees that certain trash talk has no place in a public E3 conference. But ultimately what the guy said is pretty fucking tame by gamer trash talk standards, and could easily have been said without any thought about rape.

But I still think attempting to judge someone's entire being based on what jokes they laugh at is just good ol' prejudice. Our sense of humor doesn't dictate everything about us. I'm sure most of us, at some point, have laughed at something and then thought "Wow! I am going straight to Hell for laughing at that!" because our sense of humor was in conflict with our morality. Sometimes we know something is wrong, and laugh at it anyway. That's just how the brain works. That's why so many comedians use it in their routines. It makes the audience laugh AND makes them a little uncomfortable.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

68. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 03:25 Prez

I'm normally mostly on board with being "politically correct" (polite) but this reaction, though not unexpected, seems a bit much for what was said and a whistle.

I have to say that I disagree in the strongest way possible with your insinuation that being "politically correct" and "polite" are the same thing, because they aren't. Being polite is something everyone is taught from childhood if your parents are worth a damn - saying "yes/no sir/ma'am" "please" and "thank you", etc. political correctness is a fucking bullshit agenda-push by special interest groups playing as the thought police.

- Mahatma Gandhi

67. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 02:27 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 01:42:
I gotta be honest, I've never really thought about "It'll all be over soon" as a rape joke. Isn't it also said for torture, ass beatings, and just getting pwnt? Not that those are better alternatives but I don't think it's solely a saying about rape. Right?

You're not going to tell me that the ol' "this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you" is going to be corrupted that way too is it?

I don't think this was that bad a slip, either. I mean, in context of being said to the only girl on stage in front of thousands of people, sure, but I don't think there was any thought process of "rape comment." It was unfortunate, not malicious.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

66. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 01:42 Sepharo

I gotta be honest, I've never really thought about "It'll all be over soon" as a rape joke. Isn't it also said for torture, ass beatings, and just getting pwnt? Not that those are better alternatives but I don't think it's solely a saying about rape. Right?

You're not going to tell me that the ol' "this is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you" is going to be corrupted that way too is it?

65. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 00:40 Loopy

I didn't automatically understand why the words spoken were such a big deal myself. I had to read further to understand why it might be construed as something more than light smack talk. Now I know not to say that when I play online games.

I dunno, but this seems like a pretty simple concept?

64. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 00:27 Redmask

Loopy wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 00:16:
My understanding is that the words in question risk pushing very painful buttons for some people. If you've been told a joke could bring memories of a traumatic experience to the surface and blurt it out in public anyway you're being a petulant child.

The law protects these jokes, but that does not mean they should be encouraged.

The words in question were not explicitly a rape joke in the first place and people aren't running around, throwing rape jokes in the face of rape victims at Starbucks or something. Some people are being alarmist and hypersensitive here.

63. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 00:16 Loopy

My understanding is that the words in question risk pushing very painful buttons for some people. If you've been told a joke could bring memories of a traumatic experience to the surface and blurt it out in public anyway you're being a petulant child.

The law protects these jokes, but that does not mean they should be encouraged.

62. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 23:45 Redmask

Humor is subjective and I don't see why anyone should be forbidden from joking about certain things because of an event that happened in some total strangers life. I can empathize with someone but that only goes so far. I've heard a funny joke involving the word rape, I've heard hilarious racist jokes and I've told a few provocative jokes in my life time that garnered some laughs. There's a line and humor is subjective, one persons too far is another persons laugh riot. It's almost like there is a thing called black humor and it's not everyones cup of tea, who would have imagined?

If other people want to get all sensitive and indignant about it then oh well, I guess we won't be having little tea parties together and boo hoo. Do you swear off all Louis CK material because he has a single rape bit in his routine? That's your right but don't try to tell me what to do based off some third hand event that has no relation to the joke being told. People joke about things like death all the time and that's something that affects everyone.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2013, 00:12.

61. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 23:41 Wowbagger_TIP

I think pretty much everyone agrees that people have the right to say what they want.

I think we all agree that you don't have a right to not be offended by others.

Hopefully Beamer's explanations have made it clear that 1st amendment protections deal with government restraint of speech, not private restraint.

Therefore, it's perfectly fine that some people were offended by the comments/actions. It's also perfectly fine if they want to speak out about that as well.

They're also free to boycott the product/company that these people were representing.

The company is also free to sanction them if they determine that what they said/did violates company policy or is detrimental to the company in some way.

So, whether you found it funny or not, and whether you care or not, doesn't really matter. Everyone gets to say their peace. There may be consequences for the speech, but nobody's rights are being violated.

Are we done here?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

60. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 23:38 SlimRam

Soooooo...what...wait....so the vibe i'm getting from this thread is that rape jokes AREN'T funny?!?! AWWWW SHIT, what the HELL am I supposed to do with this?!?! *Holds up my 'Rape Jokes' notebook* Hell, i've been working on this baby for YEARS! *Tosses it in the trash*

Well, ATLEAST i've got my backup handy *Looks around my room for a minute and zeroes in on it* There she IS, COME TO DADDY!!!! *Holds up my 'Crippled and Handicapped Jokes' notebook* Awwwwww YEAH!! Jester

I went to the 'Water and Ice' store near my house and I asked to see they're 'Secret Menu'.

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo