Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 23:29 Redmask

4 weeks of offline mode is a lot more than I ever expect or needed anyway, quite reasonable considering the Steam model of doing business. I buy most of my games for under $20 and make a lot of use from Steams other features for free.

Microsoft wants me to pay $500 for their box, $60 for their dumb service so I can even use Netflix, $60 per game and then check in every 24 hours just because..they fucking feel like it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 19:07 Prez

Or change your computer's date. Not an ideal workaround but it works. I've tried it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 14:56 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:13:
People keep saying that the Xbox One model is just like Steam's model...

There is one massive difference.

Steam doesn't stop working when you have no internet connection for 24 hrs. There is an offline mode.

I guess this is yesterday's news, but note that Steam's offline mode does stop working after 2-4 weeks without an Internet connection, rendering your games inert. Valve doesn't go out of its way to describe this feature, but apparently Valve customer service will tell you need to go online if you run into it.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828937979095845728/
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2287540
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/291-steam/63506584

55. Re: CRT TVs Jun 13, 2013, 10:27 Ant

Aww, I still have my 19.5" Sharp CRT TV from January 1996 but then I don't use it much.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

54. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 07:24 Redmask

robdot wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 02:47:
The xbox 360 didnt attain first place. the wii did.

I didn't say it was in first place, I was pointing out your suggestion that it somehow whisked them ahead of their competition was false. Microsoft sold a shitload of consoles before Kinect, the literal majority of its installed base, and it would have continued selling them without Kinect.

By more than 22 million units, and more than 100 million pieces of software, thereby nullifying your entire comment. The best selling 360 game by far was kinect adventures, thereby nulliying your entire comment...twice. Microsoft sold more kinects than they did the original XBOX !! So, your like, stupid, or something. And hence completely proved my original point.The wii has 15 games that sold over 5 million, the 360? Just 5..Stay down rocky.

Kinect Adventures was packed in with Kinect you dope and Kinect itself was also packed into a few different 360 SKUs, it's not like they sold all those at retail by themselves. Microsoft sold more 360s without Kinect than it did with it, FAR more. The Wii has nothing to do with anything, having been totally abandoned by its consumer base in the past few years outside of Nintendo titles.

If you want to be a little casual motion gamer then have fun but stop insisting the gaming industry needs to accommodate you in special ways to the detriment of everyone else, your market demographic has the attention span of a gnat and is not a stable source of revenue. The early and core adopters are what gives a system a stable attach rate and sells boxes. Motion gaming has given the industry very little outside of Nintendo and if you don't include profit margins then it's actually provided almost nothing in terms of usable game mechanics and innovation.

The little $100 flailing boondoggle should be optional so people like you can be happy and people like me don't need to pay for it.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2013, 07:36.

53. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 03:31 Prez

How about taking a breath there sparky. He never claimed the XBox took first place. You completely mischaracterized what he said, presumably in your hurry to hurl more insults. Before working out how to insult everyone in your ensuing posts maybe try reading posts of people responding to you so you can understand their point? Just a suggestion.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 02:47 robdot

Redmask wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 23:39:
robdot wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 22:05:
Everyone I know who owns a 360 plays more traditional console games like Madden and Call of Duty. Everyone I know who bought a Wii (I got one for my kids) plays things like Mario Party 8 on it (or did, before they got bored with it).

Just because everyone YOU know plays cod, doesnt mean that reflects the markets as a whole. The numbers actually say the opposite.quite the opposite. The numbers show motion games are not a fad and are not on the way out. Thats why microsoft has bundled the kinect, and sony is making a huge mistake by not, and fragmenting its base. But mostly my comments were directed at people here who complain endlessly about motion games and casual gamers etc. Without these games and gamers, no one would even make games at all. The industry exists on their money. Any brief examination of any sales figures from any era confirm this beyond question.

The Xbox 360 sold like 55 million units before Kinect was even invented, it was not a lynchpin that helped them attain first place or something. Motion gaming is totally pointless and has offered nothing except gimmicky dancing games to the industry. Sony is making a console for gamers, not soccer moms who are off to buy Apples latest device instead of a $500 Kinect box.

If you want to sit at home shouting and flailing at your TV well, have at it but don't talk like the industry needs to move in that direction to accommodate casuals like you because your attention is fleeting and you'll be off to purchase the latest shinest gadget, abandoning the platform just like you did with the Wii.

The xbox 360 didnt attain first place. the wii did. By more than 22 million units, and more than 100 million pieces of software, thereby nullifying your entire comment. The best selling 360 game by far was kinect adventures, thereby nulliying your entire comment...twice. Microsoft sold more kinects than they did the original XBOX !! So, your like, stupid, or something. And hence completely proved my original point.The wii has 15 games that sold over 5 million, the 360? Just 5..Stay down rocky.

51. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 23:39 Redmask

Everyone I know who owns a 360 plays more traditional console games like Madden and Call of Duty. Everyone I know who bought a Wii (I got one for my kids) plays things like Mario Party 8 on it (or did, before they got bored with it).

Just because everyone YOU know plays cod, doesnt mean that reflects the markets as a whole. The numbers actually say the opposite.quite the opposite. The numbers show motion games are not a fad and are not on the way out. Thats why microsoft has bundled the kinect, and sony is making a huge mistake by not, and fragmenting its base. But mostly my comments were directed at people here who complain endlessly about motion games and casual gamers etc. Without these games and gamers, no one would even make games at all. The industry exists on their money. Any brief examination of any sales figures from any era confirm this beyond question.

The Xbox 360 sold like 55 million units before Kinect was even invented, it was not a lynchpin that helped them attain first place or something. Motion gaming is totally pointless and has offered nothing except gimmicky dancing games to the industry. Sony is making a console for gamers, not soccer moms who are off to buy Apples latest device instead of a $500 Kinect box.

If you want to sit at home shouting and flailing at your TV well, have at it but don't talk like the industry needs to move in that direction to accommodate casuals like you because your attention is fleeting and you'll be off to purchase the latest shinest gadget, abandoning the platform just like you did with the Wii.

50. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 22:44 NegaDeath

I think Pachter created a blues account.  

49. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 22:16 Prez

Thats why microsoft has bundled the kinect, and sony is making a huge mistake by not, and fragmenting its base.

So you are predicting that Microsoft is going to win this round? I have to say that you are the first I've heard to do so if you are. From what I can see things are looking pretty dire for Microsoft and the XBone, and most everyone else seems to agree. On a side note, is the Wii U going to match the Wii's 99 million units sold? It didn't look like it to me from the last data trends I saw - not even close.

- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 22:13 nin

just because everyone YOU know plays cod, doesnt mean that reflects the markets as a whole. The numbers actually say the opposite.quite the opposite. The numbers show motion games are not a fad and are not on the way out. Thats why microsoft has bundled the kinect, and sony is making a huge mistake by not, and fragmenting its base. But mostly my comments were directed at people here who complain endlessly about motion games and casual gamers etc. Without these games and gamers, no one would even make games at all. The industry exists on their money. Any brief examination of any sales figures from any era confirm this beyond question.

It's like a cross between deqer and...I dunno...

Are you deqer's long lost sibling?

Looking at your post history, 3 of your 9 posts are you bitching about other people's opinions. I think that's rather telling.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 22:05 robdot

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 22:11.

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 21:57 Lorcin

robdot wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 21:40:
Nothing of what you said invalidates any of my points. casual gaming and kinect helped sell the xbox 360. just dance 3, on the wii, sold almost 10 million copies. bioshock infinite on the 360 so far is less than 2 million. and bioshock,less than 3. You know what the best selling 360 game is? its kinect adventures. Casual gaming and motion games are driving the market. the wii sold 22 million more units than ps3 or the 360, and sold over 100 million more peices of software. Of the top 15 best selling games of all time, all 15 are nintendo.

*HUGS*

(quick everyone hug the troll or he won't go away)

45. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 21:55 Silicon Avatar

You'd think that MS would backpedal after Sony (the press, and almost every gamer on the internet) repeatedly slammed them but I guess they're just not that bright.  

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 21:46 Prez

robdot wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 21:40:
Nothing of what you said invalidates any of my points. casual gaming and kinect helped sell the xbox 360. just dance 3, on the wii, sold almost 10 million copies. bioshock infinite on the 360 so far is less than 2 million. and bioshock,less than 3. You know what the best selling 360 game is? its kinect adventures. Casual gaming and motion games are driving the market. the wii sold 22 million more units than ps3 or the 360, and sold over 100 million more peices of software. Of the top 15 best selling games of all time, all 15 are nintendo.

The numbers you are quoting are making everyone's point though. If it's all about casual - which I agree with you on - then why would somebody buy the XBone instead of a Wii U, a much more casual-friendly system? Everyone I know who owns a 360 plays more traditional console games like Madden and Call of Duty. Everyone I know who bought a Wii (I got one for my kids) plays things like Mario Party 8 on it (or did, before they got bored with it).

Moreover, I could be premature here but it seems that the 'motion' fad may largely be on the way out. Most of the people I know who bought a Wii didn't buy a Wii U, and aren't going to. Those who I know that bought the kinect put it away and never bothered with it again once the novelty wore off. I doubt we'll be seeing 360 and Wii numbers this generation, but we'll just have to see.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 21:53.

- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 21:40 robdot

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 21:24 FloorPie

Creston wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:14:
Also, anyone who believes that Microsoft, EA and their ilk will start marking down prices a la Steam within 6 weeks of a title going on sale is sadly, sadly mistaken.

"Creating value" in Microsoft's eyes means "keep the $60 retail price on a title for 5 years."

Creston

Yeah, thats the thing that gets me the most about the anti-used games folks. Anything is possible, but I don't see the console market going the way of steam anytime soon.

TotalBiscuit, 28 mins of him whinging about used games and the evilness of stores like Gamestop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_f8YBy39M

Long story short, he's got mostly an emotional argument for the devs deserving more money than eeeebil gamestop. Yet why does gamestop et. al. do so well in used game market? Because the customers want to trade in games for new ones. Anyone know what the margins are for retailers of console games?

I don't play console games much. My Wii is used for netflix as I like the UI best, the 360 is practically unused, most games being bought new but on sale. Most folks I've talked to in my WoW gaming group that still play consoles say they buy new or on sale and trade away games they've played. That and they want to be able to bring their game over to a friends house to play together.

Also, I just got a note the other day on the Wii from Nintendo. They're shutting down the weather, news "channels", and some others at the end of the month on the Wii. How long will MS keep the XB-One's services active when the next gen hits?

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 21:20 Creston

robdot wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:22:
blablabla wrong facts, unsubstantiated bullshit and really just truly hilarious bullshit statements.

Thanks for playing, Yusuf! Sorry we're not buying your bullshit. Please make sure never to post again, K? It's a waste of bandwith.

Creston

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 20:35 Lorcin

Bleh who cares - leaving for Download festival in about 12 hours. Slipknot, Korn, Iron Maiden, QOTSA, Limp Bizkit, Rammstein, Gogol Bordello are > console drm shite!!!

Laters

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 20:17 nin

robdot wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:22:
All you guys do is bitch , and complain about what games, or systems your not gonna buy. and most of your bitching comes from absolute ignorance. Motion gaming and those casual gamers you hate are what keeps the entire games industry alive. Not the so called hardcore gamers. The wii sold 99 million units, and wii sports is the best selling game in history. Anyone with kids or grandkids will tell you what the most popular game in the house is. Its dance central. The kids move the furniture and play ALL DAY with all the sports games etc. The wii u is easily the most popular console in my house, its on constantly. Far more than my ps3 or my 360. Wii sports resort sold more than halo 3 and black ops COMBINED. Gow 1 and 2 sold 10 million together while the wii fit sold 22 million. More than double. Casual gamers and motion gaming have flooded the games market, and developers, with billions of dollars. While you stupid asses sit around and bitch about how motion gaming has added nothing, and complain about the next thing your not gonna buy. stfu already.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. It's a perfectly good door.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo