Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 20:06 Lorcin

robdot wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:22:
All you guys do is bitch , and complain about what games, or systems your not gonna buy. and most of your bitching comes from absolute ignorance. Motion gaming and those casual gamers you hate are what keeps the entire games industry alive. Not the so called hardcore gamers. The wii sold 99 million units, and wii sports is the best selling game in history. Anyone with kids or grandkids will tell you what the most popular game in the house is. Its dance central. The kids move the furniture and play ALL DAY with all the sports games etc. The wii u is easily the most popular console in my house, its on constantly. Far more than my ps3 or my 360. Wii sports resort sold more than halo 3 and black ops COMBINED. Gow 1 and 2 sold 10 million together while the wii fit sold 22 million. More than double. Casual gamers and motion gaming have flooded the games market, and developers, with billions of dollars. While you stupid asses sit around and bitch about how motion gaming has added nothing, and complain about the next thing your not gonna buy. stfu already.

3 kids here - wii that never gets used, like seriously ever. Dance central got used like twice then 3 months later we sold the kinect while it still had value. Most popular game in the house? Little Big Planet 2 and Minecraft - and guess what???? They NEVER use the Move on LBP.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 20:04 Rattlehead

robdot wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:22:
All you guys do is bitch , and complain about what games, or systems your not gonna buy. and most of your bitching comes from absolute ignorance. Motion gaming and those casual gamers you hate are what keeps the entire games industry alive. Not the so called hardcore gamers. The wii sold 99 million units, and wii sports is the best selling game in history. Anyone with kids or grandkids will tell you what the most popular game in the house is. Its dance central. The kids move the furniture and play ALL DAY with all the sports games etc. The wii u is easily the most popular console in my house, its on constantly. Far more than my ps3 or my 360. Wii sports resort sold more than halo 3 and black ops COMBINED. Gow 1 and 2 sold 10 million together while the wii fit sold 22 million. More than double. Casual gamers and motion gaming have flooded the games market, and developers, with billions of dollars. While you stupid asses sit around and bitch about how motion gaming has added nothing, and complain about the next thing your not gonna buy. stfu already.
Sad but true.

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 20:04 JSP

blah blah blah...come back after pricing Xbox One to Wii launch price then. And 'casual' gamers already have wii and x360 to play around, they saturated that market and will for years to come.  

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 19:22 robdot

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 18:57 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:06:
The thing about Kinect is that jumping around like an idiot is the BETTER use of Kinect.

TheVerge has an article on how this new Kinect will be used in gaming. It will augment, so you can point left and have your troops swing left, or point up and have them launch arrows. Fantastic. That means my hand is coming off the controller. Or it can see if I twitch and react to that, which is great if I sneeze. Or it can see if I make noise and send zombies there, which is great when my girlfriend is over and doing work on her laptop next to me on the couch, or when my phone rings and I take the call and just mute the game, or if someone has a dog barking at the mailman. None of that crap is immersive, like they claim it is. It's the opposite, and more proof, to me, why "immersion" is idiotic.

Or it can voice control the TV. I never, ever want to talk to my TV. I guess Siri has shown that some people want to talk to their phones, but typing "where is there good Indian food nearby" can be a hassle on a phone. Getting to channel 27 is 2 button clicks...

Well, OBVIOUSLY you are wrong, Mr. Consumer! Yusuf Mehdi knows much better what you want than you do! YOU WILL LOVE THE KINECT BECAUSE WE SAY SO! IT IS TEH ULTIMATE GAME CONTROLLER!

Creston

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 17:56 Julio

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 09:53:
Holy shit are they retarded?

It's an insult to mentally challenged people to compare them to Microsoft employees. Mentally challenged people would make better decisions than Microsoft.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 17:29 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:19:
Motion gaming has given us nothing useful, take it out and move on already. I'm sure Kinect is great tech for other applications but its worthless for gaming and only the laziest dorito guzzler thinks changing channels with your voice is an innovative time saver.

My point is that it's probably even less great for other applications.
For gaming? Dance Central is pretty damn fun in a group. Kinect Adventures was for a more limited time.
Had about as much use as a Wii.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 17:19 Redmask

Motion gaming has given us nothing useful, take it out and move on already. I'm sure Kinect is great tech for other applications but its worthless for gaming and only the laziest dorito guzzler thinks changing channels with your voice is an innovative time saver.  

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 17:06 Beamer

The thing about Kinect is that jumping around like an idiot is the BETTER use of Kinect.

TheVerge has an article on how this new Kinect will be used in gaming. It will augment, so you can point left and have your troops swing left, or point up and have them launch arrows. Fantastic. That means my hand is coming off the controller. Or it can see if I twitch and react to that, which is great if I sneeze. Or it can see if I make noise and send zombies there, which is great when my girlfriend is over and doing work on her laptop next to me on the couch, or when my phone rings and I take the call and just mute the game, or if someone has a dog barking at the mailman. None of that crap is immersive, like they claim it is. It's the opposite, and more proof, to me, why "immersion" is idiotic.

Or it can voice control the TV. I never, ever want to talk to my TV. I guess Siri has shown that some people want to talk to their phones, but typing "where is there good Indian food nearby" can be a hassle on a phone. Getting to channel 27 is 2 button clicks...

-------------

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 17:02 coldbricksNZ

Regarding the XB1, has anything been mentioned about the regional differences in pricing when it comes to the digital downloads?

We in New Zealand and Australia tend to get screwed on retail prices, mostly dictated by the manufacturers and/or publishers. I would hope that price parity (taking account of exchange rates of course) would come into the picture. That at least would be a good, albeit however small consolation

Some other things to consider about going fully internet/digital for distribution. Censorship, weird imports from Japan, tricking the box into a different region via VPN?

I skipped the 360/PS3 generation and have been well looked after by my PC, but some of the new console exclusives look interesting.

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 17:01 Redmask

NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:08:
Yeah, I don't mind if they go for the Steam model of doing things. It works out better than a used games model because you don't have vampire retailers abusing the shit out of it quite as badly.

That makes no sense, once they get rid of 'vampire retailers' then they have no real competition since actual retail is a big part of that market too these days. Part of the reason publishers hate used games is that it forces them to compete on price when they want to keep prices artificially higher, EA has literally come out and said it in plain English before. Consoles are a closed distribution platform and we haven't seen any sign they will open it up like Steam did, working with third party marketplaces and selling them codes in bulk and all of that.

Like Creston and Verno said, Microsoft just doesn't learn from others mistakes like it used to. There is nothing stopping them from having those sales now, they just don't want to. What better way to fight used games than convenient, downloadable digital titles? They would rather subsidize dumb efforts like a Kinect Prism in every living room instead of giving their customers value for their money and earning more by doing so.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 16:14 Creston

Also, anyone who believes that Microsoft, EA and their ilk will start marking down prices a la Steam within 6 weeks of a title going on sale is sadly, sadly mistaken.

"Creating value" in Microsoft's eyes means "keep the $60 retail price on a title for 5 years."

Creston

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 16:14 Cutter

Agreed. The only thing the publishers will do is hurt themselves because most people will simply wait until the games come down in price instead if they can't buy used, same as we do with PC games. There's a handful of games people will pay full price on day one, but most are going to have to wait. So I really don't see how MS/the publishers think eliminating used games sales is going to help them, as if that automagically means everyone is going to run out and buy games at full price all the time.

Still, there's no shortage of people out there that'll buy up any schlock offered them. Christ, just look at the current state of television. Still, in the long sad history of bad ideas, this is really up. I bet Mendhi and his team have ulcers the size of baseballs right now. I would not want to be part of the MS Failbox division right now.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 16:13 Krovven

People keep saying that the Xbox One model is just like Steam's model...

There is one massive difference.

Steam doesn't stop working when you have no internet connection for 24 hrs. There is an offline mode.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 16:11 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:08:
Microsoft went way too far on one side here. And, I'd wager, they focused grouped this stuff. "Yeah, Kinect changing channel for me, that's pretty cool!" But, in practice, not really. But when you're sitting in a focus group seeing something completely new for the first time?

The Kinect thing is the dumbest decision out of an entire truckload of dumb decisions. They already knew Kinect was shit, because they had two years worth of data proving to them it was shit.

And it's not because the technology wasn't advanced enough, it's because once people get over the novelty of jumping around like a moron on shrooms in front of their TV, they realize it's pretty stupid and they stop doing it. Kinect sold pretty well, but after six months, nobody fucking used the thing anymore.

Any NORMAL individual would say "Well, the Kinect just isn't something that's really resonating with people. Too bad. Let's try to find something else."

Microsoft, with the likes of Yusuf Mehdi in charge, goes "Well, Kinect sucked the first time around, but I know what will fix that: MAKE IT MANDATORY!!"

*queue multiple cries of "woop woop!" in the Microsoft fucktard house board room.*

So yeah, now you're stuck with a stupidly expensive device that few people will use, that few developers will code for (devs weren't shunning Kinect because of the low attach rate, they shunned it because you CAN'T play complicated games with Kinect,) and that everybody says is moronic.

Sometimes you need to set your Marketoid dipshit on fire, stop with the focus group bullshit, and just look at what the market has been telling you for the past two years.

Sadly, this is a lesson that Microsoft will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, everevereverevereverevereverever learn. The idiots in charge there always think they know better what their customers want. And sadly, there are plenty of idiots who will buy the TVBox because they apparently enjoy being told what they can and can't do.

Creston

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 16:08 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:11:
Getting rid of used games and going all digital makes a ton of sense.

Like I keep saying, though, had Microsoft given the choice, people would have made it. Offer a convenient all digital option that has good pricing and sales and people would forgo physical media, and therefore used sales, in droves.

You gave people a choice, made one better, and people made the choice you wanted.
It would have been pretty damn easy to do.

Yeah, I don't mind if they go for the Steam model of doing things. It works out better than a used games model because you don't have vampire retailers abusing the shit out of it quite as badly.

The mistake is mandating it right up front with no demonstration of a working Steam equivalent with a good games library and sales.

Like you said, it has to be an option at first. Eventually people will migrate over.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 15:11 Beamer

Getting rid of used games and going all digital makes a ton of sense.

Like I keep saying, though, had Microsoft given the choice, people would have made it. Offer a convenient all digital option that has good pricing and sales and people would forgo physical media, and therefore used sales, in droves.

You gave people a choice, made one better, and people made the choice you wanted.
It would have been pretty damn easy to do.

-------------

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 15:08 Verno

Instead of listening to what people want, you're telling them what they want.

The thing that's really dumb is their flawed justification that doing all of this will somehow lead to increased digital sales like Steam and we'll all hold hands treading towards the rainbows blah blah.

Why do we need to destroy the used games market to enable huge digital sales? Surely it's in the publisher's interest to do them anyways, because the costs to produce and move those copies are so low, and because the money goes straight to them. It's beneficial to the consumer, because they can buy from the comfort of their couch and if the discounts are Steam-level, they'd beat Gamestop's used prices even accounting for an eventual resell. The logic behind steam sales is that it's more money than you would have made by NOT doing it, why doesn't that apply to current-gen console digital downloads? Because there's a competing market? Bullshit. There is on PC too (Amazon, GoG, etc.) and Steam still does their thing - they don't rely on those markets not existing.

This whole "we just need to get rid of used games and then everyone will embrace our digital future" is a retarded straw man. The industry was heading that way naturally, none of us this heavy handed shit was necessary, Microsoft just wants control as usual. If anything great digital sales are probably the best way to combat used game sales, DRMing this was fucking stupid.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 15:14.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 15:08 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:33:
So Mendhi says this....

"This is a big change, consumers don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand."

and the first thing that pops in my head is that episode of the Simpsons when Homer meets Herb....

Herb Powell (Homer's half-brother) : OK Homer, pick out anyone you want.

Homer : Are you sure you want to give me a car.

Herb : Hey, you know what these things cost me? There's maybe forty bucks worth of steel in them.

Homer : Oh, OK. I'd like a big one then.

Powell Motors Rep-One : We don't have a big one.

Homer : Why not?

Powell Motors Rep-Two : Because Americans don't want big cars.

Homer : Well, then give me one with lots of pep.

Powell Motors Rep-One : Sorry, our cars don't have pep.

Herb : Why not?

Powell Motors Rep-Two : Because Americans want good mileage not pep.

Herb : Homer, tell the nice man what country you come from.

Homer : America.

Herb : You hear that you morons! This is why we're getting killed in the marketplace. Instead of listening to what people want, you're telling them what they want. Homer, I need your help.

But you remember how that car ended up, right?
This is why you don't fully listen to what people tell you in focus groups. Because your consumers rarely know what they want and rarely focus well. It's why things that test through the roof in focus groups fail and things that fail in focus groups succeed in the marketplace.

What people tell you they want is a data point. And usually a very flawed one.

Microsoft went way too far on one side here. And, I'd wager, they focused grouped this stuff. "Yeah, Kinect changing channel for me, that's pretty cool!" But, in practice, not really. But when you're sitting in a focus group seeing something completely new for the first time?

-------------

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 14:33 Cutter

So Mendhi says this....

"This is a big change, consumers don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand."

and the first thing that pops in my head is that episode of the Simpsons when Homer meets Herb....

Herb Powell (Homer's half-brother) : OK Homer, pick out anyone you want.

Homer : Are you sure you want to give me a car.

Herb : Hey, you know what these things cost me? There's maybe forty bucks worth of steel in them.

Homer : Oh, OK. I'd like a big one then.

Powell Motors Rep-One : We don't have a big one.

Homer : Why not?

Powell Motors Rep-Two : Because Americans don't want big cars.

Homer : Well, then give me one with lots of pep.

Powell Motors Rep-One : Sorry, our cars don't have pep.

Herb : Why not?

Powell Motors Rep-Two : Because Americans want good mileage not pep.

Herb : Homer, tell the nice man what country you come from.

Homer : America.

Herb : You hear that you morons! This is why we're getting killed in the marketplace. Instead of listening to what people want, you're telling them what they want. Homer, I need your help.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo