Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 09:19 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 07:22:
It's a dumb analogy either way, their DRM and connection check are totally separate from the act of playing videogames. They didn't 'build an online machine', they built a machine and then purposely inserted some DRM.
As Bats said, I am not defending their actions. That said, it may not be a great analogy but it seems pretty reasonable to me. They are telling you upfront, internet connectivity is required for this product. Which is pretty analogous to a telco saying, we'll sell you this phone, but it only works where there are cell towers.

In the case of the cell phone, the cell tower is required for functionality. In the case of XBone, is the internet required for functionality? While we might disagree Microsoft is saying, "Yes, internet connectivity is required for functionality."

*shrug*

Now is their position more a result of "We want to build social functions into everything, and don't want to have to worry about coding for situations where people are not connected the internet." or, "We need to have DRM on our games." Until some Microsoft employee leaks internal documents, we will never know.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 09:02 Verno

PS1 and PS2 were clear winners. PS3 is where Sony fell into the sort of arrogance and hubris that Microsoft is exhibiting now. Sony appears to have finally learned from their mistakes in most respects, Microsoft is still in the "huh whaddya mean they wont buy whatever we throw at them?!" denial phase.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

23. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 08:56 Golwar

Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 00:26:
In the past couple generations there's not really been a clear winner in the console wars. Will there be this time?

Uh? What would you consider the PS2 to be, if not the clear winner for its generation?
Or is your "past couple generations" limited to just the very last generation?

22. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 08:54 Verno

Drazula wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 08:53:
The only way XBox One competes with PS4 is if MS drops the price to $349 or less. Otherwise it's another Wii-U.

Ironically the Wii U is starting to look very attractive after E3, lots of great games demoed.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

21. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 08:53 Drazula

The only way XBox One competes with PS4 is if MS drops the price to $349 or less. Otherwise it's another Wii-U.  

20. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 08:33 John

Redmask wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 07:22:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 01:26:
Not defending, but it actually does make sense....would you buy a boat if you never went to a lake or lived on a lake? Peple forget these aren't things we NEED, they are entertainment.

It's a dumb analogy either way, their DRM and connection check are totally separate from the act of playing videogames. They didn't 'build an online machine', they built a machine and then purposely inserted some DRM.
Exactly. They are pretty much saying if you don't have broadband internet, you shouldn't buy the new Xbox. With my Xbox 360 I would bring it to a friends house occasionally to get updates, but if I have to connect every day they can keep it!

This space is available for rent

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 07:46 MattyC

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 00:32:
These are being kicked off youtube left and right by "Viacom"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUzaqOU06M

Wow... MS seems impossibly unprepared for this announcement. I wonder if they somehow thought Sony was going to do something similar?

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 08:44.

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 07:22 Redmask

Not defending, but it actually does make sense....would you buy a boat if you never went to a lake or lived on a lake? Peple forget these aren't things we NEED, they are entertainment.

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 06:44 Julio

entr0py wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 01:12:
Sony deserves all the praise they're getting, but unfortunately they did copy Microsoft's policy in one area. On the PS4 you'll have to pay $50 a year to play any games online, even though most console games are peer-to-peer.

I'm more than fine with that. I'd rather pay $100 less for PS4 than bundle in services I don't need such as multiplayer, and the camera. Let those who want multiplayer gameplay pay for it. $50 is cheap.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 03:52 NKD

Even shill Geoff Keighley looks almost ready to punch that fucker out for saying "Well get a 360 then!"  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 02:51 Cutter

Yeah, all in all it was a shitty analogy though. However, as someone else mentioned Sony was smart for thinking globally where most of the world - including plenty of NA and Europe - don't have broadband or reliable internet. It's just another example of the executive tunnel vision at MS.

While we're all curious to see how this is going to pan out for them over the next few years, I'm *really* curious how the shareholders are going to react if this is just another money sink - which, from the looks of it, it is. Will this nonsense be the final straw that breaks the camels back and sees Ballmer replaced? It's amazing to think if they had had a real visionary CEO they'd be king of the hill.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 02:14 Beamer

I don't think Microsoft is wrong for essentially assuming that anyone that can afford a $500 gaming machine already has a wifi setup in their house.

Not really a stretch.

The issue I have is that they're requesting us to check in every 24 hours without giving us a reason to other than them wanting us to. So far what do we have? Forza ghosts? Cool, but... needed every 24 hours? Ok, most of the cable stuff requires it, too, but what percentage of people are going to use that?

Forcing your consumers to do something that's not being asked for is idiotic. Give them incentive to. That's how Steam makes it so great - yeah, we have to conform to their limitations, but we're willing to do so. Microsoft could have had most of what they want if they just didn't force it.
Or, if they gave a reason for it. Again, still waiting to see why games need to be online. They haven't given us any. Hell, they haven't even said it's to fight piracy or collect data. We're just not getting any kind of answer.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 02:08 Beelzebud

What's wrong with just having online games require the internet, and not crippling the console with always online DRM? I guess that's too simple.  

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 01:26 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 21:32:
Speaking with Destructoid, Microsoft's Phil Spencer was asked what someone with no internet access would do if they wanted to buy an Xbox One.

"I mean the analogy, and I don't know if it's a great analogy… let's say I live in an area that doesn't have cell service. I wouldn't go buy a cell phone. Now, I might roam in different areas where my cellphone becomes active."

"The 360 ecosystem is a great ecosystem for somebody that's in a purely disconnected state for long periods of time. We have built a natively connected device with Xbox One and we think the experiences are moving in that direction."

WTF does that even mean?! Cereal? And MS just turns people loose like this to make fucked up statements like this, and they pay them for it too?! Forbes was right, Ballmer is the worst CEO of all time.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 01:12 entr0py

Sony deserves all the praise they're getting, but unfortunately they did copy Microsoft's policy in one area. On the PS4 you'll have to pay $50 a year to play any games online, even though most console games are peer-to-peer.

Sony to require playstation plus membership for online games

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 00:35 nin

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 00:32:

The PR disaster that is the XBOne continues, full speed.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 00:32 Sepharo

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 00:26 Dev

PS4 is $100 cheaper, no restrictions on used games, won't have a mandatory online authentication every 24 hours, no region restrictions, has increased friendliness to indie games, and doesn't look like an old VCR. Xbone is the opposite of everything listed above. In the past couple generations there's not really been a clear winner in the console wars. Will there be this time?

I normally dislike MS and Sony quite a lot. I also don't like consoles much in general. This time though, I think sony has moved in the right direction.

And they were smart to hide all the info making people think the worst, then blow it all out at once impressing everyone at once, just in time for canceling the xbone pre-orders and doing ps4 instead.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 23:08 Redmask

PS4 Launch Edition preorder secured, I saw enough games there to interest me.

That and the whole I thought we had moved past the M$ thing...

When they literally act like a money grubbing black hole that doesn't mind shitting all over their customers and asking for $500 to do it, M$ is sadly appropriate.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 22:46 MattyC

wtf_man wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 21:04:
Sony: PS4 consumer interest is great, launch supply issues possible

EAT THAT, M$!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!

While I would agree it seems like Microsoft really wants Sony to win this generation of the console war, supply issues have been a problem for Sony in the past. That and the whole I thought we had moved past the M$ thing...

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo