Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
196 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:48 Darks

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:47:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:14:
Just hearing the crowd and the reactions of people when they've announced the used game stuff was awesome and should send a pretty clear message to Microsoft.
I sure hope the sales numbers will tell the same story.

I find it sad that gaming and the industry are at a point that "it plays used games" is a point people get excited about.....it is like announcing that you are able to adjust brightness and FOV....they took a page from the airlines, and now everything is ala carte.

It is sad, but I think this goes a lot deeper than that. It really coming down to people being told what to do and what they canít do.

And thatís where many are drawing the line. This situation always reminds me of what it would be like if you were trying to sell your car and now all the sudden the manufacture says oh no, we get a cut out of this too. Same principle. For the life of me I canít understand why the publishers feel that they have a right to make more profit off a game they already made money from in the first place.

To me this is just morally wrong and should not be allowed to happen ever.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:44 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:35:
Sony is still&#65279; being evasive. Everything they stated was about them. They didn't say if publishers would permit trades/resales. So their policy is the same as the Failbox until they specify otherwise. And ok so I don't have to go online once every 24 hours to check in with big brother, what about every 25 hours? What if I never want to connect it to the internet at all? Seems that Sony snuck in that you now need a PS+ subscription for online play. So what else aren't they saying?
Read the 3rd article from the links above.
It specifically states that you do not need internet connection at all for single player games.

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:35 Cutter

Sony is still&#65279; being evasive. Everything they stated was about them. They didn't say if publishers would permit trades/resales. So their policy is the same as the Failbox until they specify otherwise. And ok so I don't have to go online once every 24 hours to check in with big brother, what about every 25 hours? What if I never want to connect it to the internet at all? Seems that Sony snuck in that you now need a PS+ subscription for online play. So what else aren't they saying?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 Darks

This is how Sony killed the Sega Saturn years ago when the guy walked on stage and quoted 299 and walked right back off. Totally fucked Sagas day up. This is history repeating itself all over again. Bye, bye M$!!

http://youtu.be/ExaAYIKsDBI

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:22 FU

Im glad about choice. And the ownership that come with buying something. m$ no used games and drm is asinine . It's like me not being able to lend a good book to a friend. Placing constraints on physically owned property will never work in any business model. They should just go 100 digital.  

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:01 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:47:
it is like announcing that you are able to adjust brightness and FOV....
Something to get excited about these days in PC games.
I think people were excited of the user friendliness of Sony vs Microsoft when it comes to next gen consoles.
No online requirements and the used games are not tied to your account are obviously pretty big things for people and Sony delivered on that front. They demonstrated that they did listen, unlike M$.
I think people were excited about that not particularly about the used games situation.

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:00 Verno

avianflu wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:46:
yes but DRM will be functionally the same as far as consumers are concerned on both new consoles since it is the game publishers who are holding that DRM wheel and steering that DRM car.

No, Microsoft was instituting DRM at a system level even on singleplayer games. Sony is giving both the consumer and the publisher the choice, there is a big difference in the two approaches, not the least of which is online requirements and other licensing silliness.

I find it sad that gaming and the industry are at a point that "it plays used games" is a point people get excited about.....it is like announcing that you are able to adjust brightness and FOV....they took a page from the airlines, and now everything is ala carte.

People are excited because their favorite hobby isn't being turned into Microsoft/EAs corporate wet dream just yet, it's nice to see that common sense can sometimes still win even in this ridiculous industry. Given all of the bullshit restrictions around the Adbox, it's no surprise people are pumped that the competition is sticking it to them.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:47 xXBatmanXx

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:14:
Just hearing the crowd and the reactions of people when they've announced the used game stuff was awesome and should send a pretty clear message to Microsoft.
I sure hope the sales numbers will tell the same story.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:46 avianflu

yes but DRM will be functionally the same as far as consumers are concerned on both new consoles since it is the game publishers who are holding that DRM wheel and steering that DRM car.  

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:40 Verno

avianflu wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:31:
And more importantly -- SONY will happily let game pubs use DRM of every type because **consoles live or die on their games library** not their launch price.

That's fine and the way it should be, then consumers get to make the choices.

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:36 SpectralMeat

Rub it in for M$
http://youtu.be/7wupc_XTl70

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:32 DeathMan20

While I want MS to do well on their console, as I do enjoy some of their exclusive titles... I don't think I could come to buying the MS product this time. Leaning on the PS4's side right now unless something fricken fantastic happens in MS land.  

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:31 avianflu

Verno I dont disagree with you on your major points -- but it has to be said -- the major third party game publishers can still do whatever the heck they want with their own DRM initiatives. And they will.

And more importantly -- SONY will happily let game pubs use DRM of every type because **consoles live or die on their games library** not their launch price.

Also, a bit off topic but there is a mandatory 50 bucks a year for multiplayer paid to SONY PLUS on the new console. That's on par with MS and not a shocker.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:29 Elf Shot The Food

Sony killed, but Microsoft made it easy for them.

I'll miss Dead Rising 3, but apparently it's a timed exclusive.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:25 avianflu

Great pricing on Sony's part, especially after the truly disastrous launch price of the PS3.  

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:23 Slashman

You've got to ask yourself why Micorsoft would do something like that.

Something just doesn't make sense. Did they really think that Sony would go with the same model just because they announced it and make it all even?

It's got me scratching my head. It's almost like I'm missing part of the puzzle because no one could be this stupid...right? Dunce

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:13 1badmf

Pigeon wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:09:
Kajetan wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:20:
Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:09:
Sony really gave it to Microsoft sans lube last night, I haven't seen an owning like that since the last time I watched Sepharo beat up my server in CS.
And the really funny thing is ... people are excited about the PS4 not about something special Sony might have done, but because Microsoft so utterly, utterly fucked up their own product.

Pretty much all Sony had to do was show up and not announce something terrible like required rectal probing, and this generation of consoles was theirs for the taking.

MS didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they planted a landmine and then stepped on it.

cmon you can do better than that. i'm gonna go with... they slathered their nuts in honey and then kicked over several hives of killer bees.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:11 Verno

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:01:
The problem that Sony might have in the long run, as online DRM models get more savvy and consumer friendly (they will), is that some big time developers will really like the control that MS is giving them. This may lead to a better selection of titles on the Xbone. I'm a pessimist for sure, but I just feel that Sony's decision here may be a short-sighted reaction to MS, and not much thought went into it. They are almost certainly selling the thing at a loss for a while. Not a great a idea for a company that typically hemorrages cash. They could have priced it at $500 with the current features and people would have called it a better deal than Xbox.

They tried that with the PS3 and it didn't work out well for them. It makes more sense to sell as many consoles as possible and make up your losses in services than it does to lose money for 4 years until you finally hit acceptable prices. We don't really know if they're selling at a loss or not, if you factor in R&D then both consoles will sell at a loss for years but just based on parts and manufacturing who knows. The ram in the PS4 is probably the most expensive component right now.

Publishers are smart anyway, they can make more online games or go back to silly things like online passes. There is no reason that people should be restricted in singleplayer titles so Sony's choice just plain makes more sense, particularly when you consider how massive resale is in Japan and how much they love singleplayer titles.

There's just no spinning this, it was a complete PR coup for Sony and consumers alike. As a consumer this is really a no brainer transaction now, there is pretty much no reason to own an Xbox One until they cave on some stuff or drastically reduce the price.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:09 Pigeon

Kajetan wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:20:
Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:09:
Sony really gave it to Microsoft sans lube last night, I haven't seen an owning like that since the last time I watched Sepharo beat up my server in CS.
And the really funny thing is ... people are excited about the PS4 not about something special Sony might have done, but because Microsoft so utterly, utterly fucked up their own product.

Pretty much all Sony had to do was show up and not announce something terrible like required rectal probing, and this generation of consoles was theirs for the taking.

MS didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they planted a landmine and then stepped on it.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:05 SpectralMeat

I think devs will go where the money is. More console sold means more customers. The way things look Sony will sell more consoles.  

196 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo