Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
196 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

56. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 13:15 Creston

LOL at the "used game instructions video." The only way they could be more blatant is if they posted a picture of Jack Tretton winking, with the header "Fuck you, Microsoft."

MS is going to get raped in sales. I just hope Sony will have volume available.

And a good side-effect of the whole thing is that we'll get a nice bit of insight into how many of the world's population is really fucking stupid: Those who buy a TVBox.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 13:10 Verno

The guys from Gamespot and Giantbomb said people were going apeshit in the audience and that it felt pretty authentic. I was following it at SA and the thread reply count increased by like 3000 in a minute.

Also it was really nice to see so many hands on stage demos instead of precanned stuff. It didn't always work out well (AC4 crashed part way through for example) but it was a bit reassuring.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

54. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 13:09 SpectralMeat

Ratty wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 12:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:14:
Just hearing the crowd and the reactions of people when they've announced the used game stuff was awesome and should send a pretty clear message to Microsoft.
I'm not saying the freedom Sony appears to be giving their customers isn't a great thing, but you do know they often pack these kinds of audiences with their own cheering/applause boosters.
Judging it from the reaction of the people and the preorders being sold out already for the PS4 but not for the xbone I am pretty sure Sony did not need any "cheer" or "applause" signs on this E3 conference.

Steam: SpectralMeat

53. PS4 used games reaction Jun 11, 2013, 13:05 Creston

Just saw it for the first time (late to the party, I know.)

I love the Sony guy's little smile/smirk, that he's trying hard to contain, at around 37 seconds in. He's basically thinking to himself "Oh, Microsoft, you dumb dumb motherfuckers. WE GOT YOUR ASS NOW."

Go Sony. This is what I want out of a console: A CONSOLE. Buy games for it, play games on it, don't worry about whether you or a publisher sees fit to restrict how often or what I can do. Just games. No bullshit.

Poor EA must be shitting themselves now, because they canceled the online pass thing. They'll have to reimplement them for their PS4 games, I guess?

Creston

52. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:56 Ratty

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:14:
Just hearing the crowd and the reactions of people when they've announced the used game stuff was awesome and should send a pretty clear message to Microsoft.
I'm not saying the freedom Sony appears to be giving their customers isn't a great thing, but you do know they often pack these kinds of audiences with their own cheering/applause boosters.

51. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:50 Verno

I saw plenty of cool games in both conferences, huge variety of genre representation. The difference for me was that I didn't see anything in Microsofts conference that made me want to stomach all of the bullshit associated with the Adbox. I usually want one console for social gaming and the odd exclusive, a gaming PC for everything else. Sony pretty much convinced me where to spend my money.  

50. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:41 Rattlehead

So besides being DRM free, what games does the PS4 actually have to offer? Nothing looks intriguing (I do not go for JRPGs), FFXV, MGS5 are all multiplatform with PC releases. That one victorian style game looked sort of neat.

I just don't see a reason to get any of the upcoming consoles.

Edit: FFXV doesn't seem to have a PC edition, but since it's DX11 on Xbox One I am 99% sure it will come to PC eventually.

49. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:30 Verno

NKD wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 12:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 12:21:
A good Final Fantasy game would almost be enough to prompt me to purchase my first console since SNES.... I'll be watching.

I dunno. FFXV isn't really showing us much, but from the latest trailer it doesn't look like it qualifies as much of an RPG. Looked more like an action game with real time movement and combat.

It looks great, more like an action adventure which is what they've been sorta pitching it as. First FF game in forever that has me excited, maybe Square is actually shaping up.

48. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:26 Vio

This is how you share a game on PS4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKdBecUSGP0  

47. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:25 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 12:21:
A good Final Fantasy game would almost be enough to prompt me to purchase my first console since SNES.... I'll be watching.

I dunno. FFXV isn't really showing us much, but from the latest trailer it doesn't look like it qualifies as much of an RPG. Looked more like an action game with real time movement and combat.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:22 Ozmodan

Wow Sony is going to ace Microsoft, $100 less and you don't have to spend $60 on a windows live license. That is $160 less and the Sony console is superior to the xbox one.

Who can't read here? The xbox one has to connect to the internet occasionally, the PS4 not. Pretty obvious for someone intending to just play solo games to get the PS4 and avoid the intrusive xbox one.

Personally, unless there is a exclusive game you just have to have, buying a new xbox one is a really stupid decision if you ask me.

45. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:21 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:21 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:55:
No, they're still dancing around key issues and not being specific. Does this apply to just them or do publishers have a say? etc. etc.

They did not dance around on anything, they gave clear and concise answers which you failed to inform yourself on. They couldn't really make it clearer for you without using finger paint. All of that stuff that the Xbox One is doing? They are not doing it. It is really that simple and easy to understand. If EA Games wants to restrict its multiplayer from used copies then they can do that but not within the framework of the system. That is the same situation we live in today so I don't see a problem here. When EA does something dumb, I stop buying EA games.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2013, 12:34.

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:18 finga

Darks wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:48:
It is sad, but I think this goes a lot deeper than that. It really coming down to people being told what to do and what they can’t do.
Yep. Sony picked up on the notion that gamers want freedom. It's not just a part of playing - it's a part of buying. Games are very often about choosing to follow rules or break them. And when you're being told that these are the rules and there are literally pages of rules about how and when you can play them, in some ways it's not even about whether you already "follow" those rules. It's having all of these rules forced on you and spelled out that makes people want to walk away.

I do think that at least some games on PS4 will eventually have some kind of used game blocking. I bet that publishers will eventually simply make what was an "online pass" key an offline and online pass - the way to play entirely - but the point is that for now, the Xbox One is the only system to make that a core part of the system entirely. What's the difference? Well, for now you can vote with your wallet: system-level DRM or none at all.

Or stick with PC and not be a part of it at all, which is perfectly acceptable too.

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:12 finga

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:35:
Sony is still&#65279; being evasive. Everything they stated was about them. They didn't say if publishers would permit trades/resales. So their policy is the same as the Failbox until they specify otherwise. And ok so I don't have to go online once every 24 hours to check in with big brother, what about every 25 hours? What if I never want to connect it to the internet at all? Seems that Sony snuck in that you now need a PS+ subscription for online play. So what else aren't they saying?
They couldn't be any clearer about what the system allows (which is all they can directly decide on - their system and their games - and stay in business with publishers) and yet still it's murky to you. The problem is yours now, now theirs.

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:11 nin

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:55:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:44:
Sony is still&#65279; being evasive. Everything they stated was about them. They didn't say if publishers would permit trades/resales. So their policy is the same as the Failbox until they specify otherwise. And ok so I don't have to go online once every 24 hours to check in with big brother, what about every 25 hours? What if I never want to connect it to the internet at all? Seems that Sony snuck in that you now need a PS+ subscription for online play. So what else aren't they saying?
Read the 3rd article from the links above.
It specifically states that you do not need internet connection at all for single player games.

No, they're still dancing around key issues and not being specific. Does this apply to just them or do publishers have a say? etc. etc.

Watch some videos from last night...educate yourself.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:07 FU

From what I'm hearing from m$ with all this extracurricular shit it can do beside playing games, it's looking kinda like Phillips cd-I or 3do. Damn how history repeats itself.  

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:57 Verno

Err, try watching the announcement, all of the info was there. The Adbox has system level DRM and per disc licensing, the PS4 does not. You can never connect your PS4 at all and play games if that's what you want. They are leaving it up to the publisher as it is right now with the 360 and PS3. If a publisher does something you don't like then buy stuff from another publisher, just like how it is on all platforms right now.

No they're not, they were remarkably clear, watch the video and read the info. If publishers want to implement their own DRM (such as online passes) they can do that but Sony will not provide system level functionality to accommodate them and there is no online checks. It's pretty much the same as it is today in other words, not a reduction in ownership/etc like Adbox.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:57 Beamer

It's just weird that Microsoft got here. The 360 succeeded because, at launch, it was cheaper, had better games, and non-exclusive games looked better on the 360. All the "living room domination" stuff came later, for no additional cost. It was a trojan horse.

For this one they went with the opposite. The price is higher, it seems less likely to have as good graphics as the PS4, and its focusing on the secondary stuff that, sure, a lot of people loved in the 360, but no one has really said "why yes, I'd pay $500 dollars for that."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 11:55 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:44:
Read the 3rd article from the links above.
It specifically states that you do not need internet connection at all for single player games.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

196 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo