Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 18:46 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 14:33:
Have you ever met someone that does this, or seen a job posting about it, or tried to think about what the job posting would look like, what the daily responsibilities would be, and how it would be kept quiet?
No, but I've certainly witnessed customer complaints being removed and high level executives being involved in "language" which while possibly not directly a lie, certainly a concealment of the truth. The only consideration is money. Everything else is secondary.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 16:57 Redmask

Most shills I've seen have a bloated sense of self importance and pretend to be industry insiders who have access to knowledge others don't. They try to throw out supposedly offhand remarks about their dealings with companies but the reality is that they are full of crap and are just trying to give their opinion more sway. There is one such Microsoft shill in this thread even.  

29. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 15:10 Crustacean Soup

On other forums I have seen this:

A poster who is about a month old starts a thread on the new hot game, and from that point on that's all they talk about on the forum. Looking at their posts before that point, this person just posts "me too"-type posts; quick, devoid of content, often barely even related to the thread they're posting in.

That could be a fanboy, but sometimes these are from games you wouldn't expect that from, and the weird posting pattern before shill mode is extremely suspicious. I have seen this for games from larger companies. I've seen a forum with multiple suspect posters like this who all focus on games from one larger company.

From what I've heard, and it may just be conspiracy mongering, the good ones aren't that obvious. They have software to keep track of personas and they ride the quiet period for longer before breaking into shill mode.

I don't doubt that the vast majority of one-shots and "shills" are actually fanboys or possibly even developers, though.

28. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 14:33 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 10:59:
I'm sorry, is someone surprised by these allegations? I just assumed everyone realized this was being done on a regular basis by many companies.

Have you ever met someone that does this, or seen a job posting about it, or tried to think about what the job posting would look like, what the daily responsibilities would be, and how it would be kept quiet?

Yes, restaurants spam on Yelp sometimes. Authors spam on Amazon sometime. But the bigger something is the less likely they are to do it. Why? Because they can't keep it quiet, and because it would blow up in their face and not be worthwhile. And, frankly, paying people to do that is pretty damn expensive. It's happened a few times that a foreign subsidiary, which is a small operation, has someone do it, or an ad agency goes rogue and does it, but a company like Apple or Microsoft or Google doesn't want their employees doing this.

Thought it's certainly possible that this is such a big deal that they're panicking.

Those one-posters we get here? I'd say very, very few are paid to be here. The vast majority are super fanboys (and we all know they exist) or over excited employees.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 13:41 VoodooV

Don't have to be paid to be a shill.

Of course who needs website shills when you can apparently get TV shows to write in Windows 8 ads into their shows like Arrow and that Elementary show, or Bones or Chuck for Subway. Or Smallville for shilling just about everything under the sun.

26. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 10:59 Mr. Tact

I'm sorry, is someone surprised by these allegations? I just assumed everyone realized this was being done on a regular basis by many companies.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2013, 11:19.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 10:55 wtf_man

Redmask wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 10:21:
There are several obvious Microsoft shills here, a few in this topic alone trying to deflect attention elsewhere. One of the biggest PC gaming websites in the world definitely merits a few, you see the same names defending Microsoft in every thread.

The only ones I see that could potentially be shills, are the ones with new accounts or small post counts over the years. They aren't active in this community unless they are actually defending something... and as you pointed out, they are defending the same company (not necessarily just Microsoft) or product every time.

Folks here that are active, don't always post on just MS threads, and like some of MS's products... (Like Windows 8)... aren't shills. I respect their right to like it, as long as they respect mine to disklike it, without saying I have some sort of lack of mental capacity to adjust to change. There's lots of new shit I do like... Metro UI isn't one of them. For touch I prefer IOS or Android, and for the desktop I'd rather have Windows 7, OSX, or Cinnamon (which is relatively new) on Linux. /shrug

24. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 10:21 Redmask

There are several obvious Microsoft shills here, a few in this topic alone trying to deflect attention elsewhere. One of the biggest PC gaming websites in the world definitely merits a few, you see the same names defending Microsoft in every thread.  

23. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 06:31 Numinar

I'm all up for a bit of casual Shillery for products that actually do get the people working on them excited. Probably due to being complicit in such antics.

But some of this behaviour, known and unknown, seems like wartime propaganda. Which I guess it is. There are billions of dollars and thousands of jobs at stake if this console generation goes tits up for either manufacturer.

These consoles seem like they will be more similar to each other, and the PC platform, than any previously. For one to be Gods own gift and the other inherently shit seems counter-intuitive to me and it all comes down to one crappy press conference from one company and a whole lot of not talking about things from the other. Japan could sure use it's videogame monopoly back though, thats for sure.

22. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 04:59 Prez

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 00:23:
NKD wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 18:20:

Yeah. We're not really high on the shill priority list.
True, which means that the chances of dev's or people from companies we like/enjoy/etc are more likely to actually pop in, shoot the shit, and give us a heads up on how a product is doing/fixed/etc(see ME2 bugs that were stamped out on ME3) or even give us a heads up before news goes live on discounted titles(see Sins: Rebellion for instance).

They had better wear their flame retardant e-pants though, because very few devs (if any) can join a blues thread without getting verbally reamed, deservedly or not. Not many devs spend too much time here for any length of time. I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, just pointing it out. Personally I try to soften my tone with devs who come in here so as to not chase them away, but usually it's a pile-on, and they eventually skedaddle.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

21. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 04:28 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 01:37:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 16:25:
Pretty certain there are no shills here for any major company.

Don't forget there's way more casual guests and lurkers than the regular posting crew. If that's all there was Blue would have gone broke long ago. And no one can't tell me we haven't seen the shills drop by. First time poster saying how awesome XYZ game is never to be heard from again? Negro please. No, it may not be high on the list, but it doesn't mean they don't drop by on major occasions tied into major releases.

That's an employee, not a marketing shill.

No one will deny they exist. But they're not paid to, or even encouraged to, come do this. They do it because they believe in what they do (and it's easy to believe in what makes your paycheck) and because they happen to lurk.

I am positing that there is no such job as "'marketing' guy that spends his time on messageboards" and that companies very rarely send employees out to post anonymously, and large companies never do.

People do it because they like what they work on, not because they have an obligation to. If that happened, we'd have someone on reddit going "IMA recently laid off video game marketer whose job it was to post on reddit."

-------------

20. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 01:37 Cutter

Don't forget there's way more casual guests and lurkers than the regular posting crew. If that's all there was Blue would have gone broke long ago. And no one can't tell me we haven't seen the shills drop by. First time poster saying how awesome XYZ game is never to be heard from again? Negro please. No, it may not be high on the list, but it doesn't mean they don't drop by on major occasions tied into major releases.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

19. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 00:23 Mashiki Amiketo

True, which means that the chances of dev's or people from companies we like/enjoy/etc are more likely to actually pop in, shoot the shit, and give us a heads up on how a product is doing/fixed/etc(see ME2 bugs that were stamped out on ME3) or even give us a heads up before news goes live on discounted titles(see Sins: Rebellion for instance).

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 22:05 Beamer

Yup.
And, while not diverse, we're diverse enough to have a handful of people that like almost anything.

And marketing shills are far less common than most people here believe. Fanboys? Extremely common. Employees that post places for fun and see things through the corporate looking glass? The bigger the place, the more common. But those aren't paid shills, they're regular people who happen to believe what they do is the right thing to do and who happen to post on certain message boards.

If you're, say, a sound guy for Microsoft's Halo studio, or some engineer on Office 365, you're still a video game fan and you're probably still posting on video game boards. You're more likely to see what Microsoft is doing in a positive light, in that case, and less likely to say anything bad in general. Not a paid shill, but something common on message boards.

Frankly, I've never seen a job posting that says "sit on a messageboard all day trumpeting new video game developments," and if they did, people here would probably be applying. The closest you have are tech evangelists, but they get paid a ton of money to be b2b, not b2c.

-------------

17. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 21:16 LArac

He who controls another's Perception, controls that person's Reality.

The same reason politics has paid fake news people spouting the party line.

Corporations do it all the time as well, because the majority really does not care. Apathy is a evil worse than most.

Lee

16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 19:05 ASeven

PropheT wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 18:28:
They're kind of all over the place right now. Gamefaqs has a few for sure, although I try not so spend a lot of time there to get extremely acquainted.

Hell, even 4chan got a few recently, and that's 4chan we're talking about!

15. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 18:28 PropheT

They're kind of all over the place right now. Gamefaqs has a few for sure, although I try not so spend a lot of time there to get extremely acquainted.  

14. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 18:20 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 17:18 Alamar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 16:07:
Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 15:01:
We definitely know there are Microsoft shills here too, not very surprising. Basically anyone who likes Windows 8 and Xbox One is pretty much guaranteed to work for Microsoft.
Yeah...well xbox one I couldn't care less about. Windows 8? It's not bad, and I do like it. Especially the autorestore feature for a nuked install. Start8 fixes the menu problem. Oh and if you think I'm a paid shill, I've had an account on here since before said companies thought of shills. Note the UID, there aren't many regular posters in the sub 3500 category these days, then again...with your ID in the 56k range...you could be a shill. Just a very cleaver one.

I was pretty sure he was just being silly/sarcastic... 'Everyone that likes XX product works for the company' is pretty extreme...

As for the UID... I hope you were too, because otherwise, that's pretty stupid : )

-Alamar

12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 17:13 Alamar

I am shocked...

I read some of the article, and looked at the url... It was not the onion; hence the shock...

-Alamar

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo