Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500

Polygon has the WTF story of the day in a straggling follow-up to the THQ bankruptcy fire sale. They discovered a new legal filing showing Interplay (a company that's had its own struggles) managed to score the IP for the FreeSpace series of space combat game originated by Volition for the bargain price of $7500. There are no details at this point on how this managed to go so cheaply. Thanks NKD.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 11, 2013, 12:05 nin

BitWraith wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:17:
InBlack wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 10:20:
I hate spiritual successors.

Ironic since Freespace was a spiritual successor to Descent.

It had very little to do with Descent, gameplay wise. How is that a spiritual successor?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 11, 2013, 09:17 BitWraith

InBlack wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 10:20:
I hate spiritual successors.

Ironic since Freespace was a spiritual successor to Descent.

37. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 8, 2013, 21:23 HorrorScope

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 12:02:
I love Freespace and Freespace 2, but - let's be honest, the space sim market is very, very niche these days,

Honestly, how do we know that? Like I believe EA and the likes of always being right, lolz.

36. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 8, 2013, 03:31 nin

Fantaz wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 03:27:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 12:03:
I'm guessing Derek Smart didn't bid on it because when he broached the idea some years back, the Freespace fandom (rightfully) shit itself over the idea and had a giant flame war with him over how much they didn't want him with the license.

He probably came away from it huffing like an eight year old and thinking "Well fine, you don't deserve getting a game from me!"

...and what if Dr. D. Smart did buy it? maybe he'd actually make a good game out of the IP

Based on his history? Nope...

35. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 8, 2013, 03:27 Fantaz

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 12:03:
I'm guessing Derek Smart didn't bid on it because when he broached the idea some years back, the Freespace fandom (rightfully) shit itself over the idea and had a giant flame war with him over how much they didn't want him with the license.

He probably came away from it huffing like an eight year old and thinking "Well fine, you don't deserve getting a game from me!"

...and what if Dr. D. Smart did buy it? maybe he'd actually make a good game out of the IP

34. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 23:14 Linksil

So basically the IP is all in the same place now.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

33. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 22:38 NKD

ViRGE wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 20:29:
This doesn't make any sense. Interplay already owned the Freespace IP. That's why the game is able to be sold on GoG, and why Volition can't make a sequel. I do not understand what just happened here.

My understanding is that Interplay owned the rights to sell the existing titles, but not the IP itself.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

32. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 20:29 ViRGE

This doesn't make any sense. Interplay already owned the Freespace IP. That's why the game is able to be sold on GoG, and why Volition can't make a sequel. I do not understand what just happened here.  

31. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 19:31 Golwar

The most important news here is that Interplay still has at least one competent person hired.  

30. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 18:47 Acleacius

If Volition wasn't interested in spending $7500, they clearly have some other concept in the works.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

29. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 18:14 CJ_Parker

Awesum. So now Interplay finally has another IP they gonna care fuck all about
I mean 7.5K sounds like a steal on paper but spending 7.5K on nothing is still retarded. Open toilet, throw seven grand in the bowl, flush. Good job, Interplay. We're all really fucking proud of you champs!

28. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 18:09 nin

Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 17:59:
$7500??? That's amazing! That Interplay would be able to scrounge up more than loose change at this point I mean.

My guess is that they will sell it to a kickstarter projecct team and make 10 to 20 times that much for it.

Or do like they did with the "BlackIsle" bullshit (IE trot out a name, and beg for money, with no clear future)...

27. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 17:59 Prez

$7500??? That's amazing! That Interplay would be able to scrounge up more than loose change at this point I mean.

My guess is that they will sell it to a kickstarter projecct team and make 10 to 20 times that much for it.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 16:24 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 14:47:
Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 14:33:
Honestly, it's not a big deal. No one's done anything with it forever. Put the $7500 toward actual development and create an homage.

I guess if you really think about it, the IP isn't that amazing anyway. It was the gameplay that was fun. The story and stuff is pretty interchangeable with just about every other scifi setting.

I'd love a space sim set in the Mass Effect universe, but I know that shit won't happen.

I don't know, I've complained about this with other IPs, but I feel Freespace has a reasonably strong background and I could see some value in the IP. FS2 ended on a pretty big cliffhanger, and there are a lot of storylines left unsolved. What happened to Earth after the Lucifer collapsed its jump point in FS1? What do the Shivans want? What happened to Bosch?

It's not like Homeworld, where there's really no storyline left to tie up, or Total Annihilation, which is almost entirely devoid of anything that would be considered protected IP worth grabbing.

25. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 16:08 Minuit

Gipson wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 14:50:
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Interplay still exists?

Yes, and it's called "inXile". I don't really know who is using the Interplay name nowadays, but it's about as authentic as Black Isle Studios.

24. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 16:00 Darks

I wonder how much Kickstarter money paid for this? Yes, from the RPG remake they got funded a while back. Makes you wonder!!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

23. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 14:50 Gipson

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Interplay still exists? The Descent franchise is still in my top 5 of all time. Im pretty sure Volition started out with ex-Interplay staff and Freespace was also a big hit in its time.

Oh how I'd love a proper reboot of these two series....

22. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 14:47 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 14:33:
Honestly, it's not a big deal. No one's done anything with it forever. Put the $7500 toward actual development and create an homage.

I guess if you really think about it, the IP isn't that amazing anyway. It was the gameplay that was fun. The story and stuff is pretty interchangeable with just about every other scifi setting.

I'd love a space sim set in the Mass Effect universe, but I know that shit won't happen.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 14:33 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 14:31 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 10:08:
Man I could have bought it for that price, that's just absurd. Shit I probably would have just to keep it out of Interplays hands, what a bunch of bullshit.

I'd have gladly gone in for a thousand bucks to get a Bluenews Regulars group to own it.

Creston

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo