Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 22:18 Ant

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 15:32:
I've been nothing but a true PC gamer going back to Wolf 3D and then Netquake..I have despised consoles and all the shit that came with them..but I am getting a PS4 as some sort of absolutely misguided point to stick it to MS and their shitty One mechanics.

My stupid protest by purchasing some other console won't do fuck all to MS, but it'll make me fell better. I will make sure to spread the word too.
Ditto. I haven't had a video game console Atari 2600. I find computers are way superior especially when it comes to hacking, modding, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 11:42 HorrorScope

Devil in the details:

Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of THESE transfers.

39. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 03:21 Fantaz

Redmask wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 23:56:
It would really be the most wonderful thing if Sony did some kind of backroom handshake deal this with Microsoft, then pulled a double cross at E3 in loud, flashy fashion. Like, Kaz coming to the podium, saying "No online check ins, you can sell the games you buy anywhere, $399" pulling out his dick, letting it thump on the mic, and walking off to the reverb.

That seems a little crass. Like what an earlier commenter said, all Sony needs to say and do is have PS4 just like PS3 but with better graphics, and they'll win them all. XBOne pretty much committed suicide with these silly restrictions so it's basically no competition anymore.

38. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 23:56 Redmask

It would really be the most wonderful thing if Sony did some kind of backroom handshake deal this with Microsoft, then pulled a double cross at E3 in loud, flashy fashion. Like, Kaz coming to the podium, saying "No online check ins, you can sell the games you buy anywhere, $399" pulling out his dick, letting it thump on the mic, and walking off to the reverb.  

37. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 18:44 MindStalker3

Kha wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 02:13:
Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 00:36:
Translation: We backpeddled and revamped our PR to mollify initial hatred of the Failbox and our policies. We will of course revert to the more draconian ones in due time, so don't say we didn't warn you, fools.

Oh, and do not forget this other meaning: Your games would be retired / deactivated / unavailable at whatever moment that they want.

And guess what happens in 10 or 20 years when you decide to dust off your old XBox One and play your games, its now worthless. I can accept that SOME of my old PC games will be worthless, but not all of them, its a choice I make on an individual purchase level, but here ALL of your XBox One games will be worthless in 20 years or so when their servers are shut down.

36. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 17:11 Redmask

nin wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 15:42:
My stupid protest by purchasing some other console won't do fuck all to MS, but it'll make me fell better.

The more of us that do it, the more it will be noticed.

Yep, one customer isn't just a lost sale anymore, it's ten years of purchases in software, DLC, on demand rentals, etc. It's a big deal if Microsoft can't sell you a console. Stay strong fellas.

35. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 15:42 nin

My stupid protest by purchasing some other console won't do fuck all to MS, but it'll make me fell better.

The more of us that do it, the more it will be noticed.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 15:32 ColoradoHoudini

I've been nothing but a true PC gamer going back to Wolf 3D and then Netquake..I have despised consoles and all the shit that came with them..but I am getting a PS4 as some sort of absolutely misguided point to stick it to MS and their shitty One mechanics.

My stupid protest by purchasing some other console won't do fuck all to MS, but it'll make me fell better. I will make sure to spread the word too.

33. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 14:24 Creston

Flo wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 09:14:
nin wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 09:03:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 01:01:
Congrats Microsoft, you just handed Sony the console market on a silver platter.

I really really hope you're right.

You really think that, do you? After all we learnt from Sim City? Just because a bunch of nerds (I'm one of them) are pissed off about a system that is better than steam (it is!) Microsoft will lose this console war? Face it: we are a minority! There are tons of consumers out there that will happily buy that thing on day one (sim city!).

This is true, but I think you are drastically underestimating how many console gamers follow console news. The small group here at Blues is a minority, but there are millions of console gamers who follow console news online every day. (Angry Joe alone gets like 2-3 million views per update,) and I doubt many of them are happy with it.

Sure, there will be plenty of people who will still buy the TVRemoteBox, either because they like the idea of plonking down $500 for a motion-activated remote, or because they have a hard-on for HALO, or because they're just plain stupid, but Sony can make a massive, massive dent here.

Publishers and Microsoft may want the console market to evolve into a "We Decide What You Can Play And When You Can Play It" system, but that's not what the large majority of the GAMERS want. And if Sony is smart, and just makes another Game console, they will get a lot of the main gamer business.

Creston

32. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 14:10 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 00:00:
Creston wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 22:47:
Being able to give games to your friends is good (the 30 days on your friends list is a bit stupid, but oh well,) though the "can only give it away once" thing makes me wonder if I give a game to a friend, can he then give it away again? Or is it then forever assigned to him?
The literal interpretation is that it's forever with him, unless he sells it through an approved retailer. This keeps games from being moved among several different owners for free. At most 2 people can own any 1 copy. After that person 3 and beyond either need to buy a new copy, or pay the publisher for a used copy.

That seems likely. Still a bit restrictive, but not as bad as they had originally made it out/intended it to be. I tend to give old games away to a buddy whose family simply doesn't have the money to buy new games, and it would have severely sucked not to be able to do that. Then again, I won't buy a TVRemoteBox, so I guess the point was moot anyway.

That's a nice blatant statement which is only true if said home has a dual-band router and has it set up for dual-band. I doubt many people have a dual-band router.

Actually that's not about dual band routers. That's about multiple spatial streams. 802.11n supports up to 3 streams via MIMO; each stream requires an antenna. This is how 5GHz 802.11n supports up to 450Mbps, it's 150Mbps per stream. Consumer routers will support between 1 and 3 streams, and 2 is the most common.

You are right, and I stand corrected.

Edit :
Cres, you missed....

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

So those loans or gifts are MS games only. And yes, in order to play it from a friend's place they need to have it too.

Hrmm... It sounds like Microsoft is simply trying to shift all blame onto publishers, while essentially pushing for this to happen, so that they can then say "Hey, not our fault! Evil EA is doing this to you."

Creston

31. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 09:48 ^Drag0n^

The one business this is guaranteed to Blitzkrieg is the one I actually use: Redbox Videogame Rentals.

So ass, MS. So very ass.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

30. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 09:28 Verno

You really think that, do you? After all we learnt from Sim City? Just because a bunch of nerds (I'm one of them) are pissed off about a system that is better than steam (it is!) Microsoft will lose this console war? Face it: we are a minority! There are tons of consumers out there that will happily buy that thing on day one (sim city!).

SimCity didn't really sell that well, particularly compared to previous installments so maybe you're the minority instead. Sure some people will buy an Adbox One because they wuuvv Microsoft but that doesn't mean everyone will. Look at the PS3 for an example of what happens when arrogance, hubris and a high priced console collide. They barely managed to scrape back from that and it cost them a lot of money, not to mention a market leading position. Sony could do no wrong with gamers before the PS3 launch and the Adbox launch is starting to look remarkably similar.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

29. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 09:28 wtf_man

Flo wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 09:14:
Congrats Microsoft, you just handed Sony the console market on a silver platter.

While that may be true, polls on gaming sites are showing a 70%-80% interest in a PS4 over an XBox One. If that remains, initial sales out the gate will be by informed gamers... meaning the Xbox One will get stomped. Consumers do tend to go with what is more popular... so, that launch sales inertia could be fairly damaging to Microsoft. While they will probably still sell their fair share of consoles.. they may be clearly far behind their competition... which technically would be another MS failure.

28. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 09:27 SpectralMeat

MindStalker3 wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 08:26:
Sony is concerned with the Asian, US and European markets, Microsoft has been more concerned about the US market only.
Agree 100%
All the TV stuff and sports and shit that Microsoft is jamming into the xbone pretty much shows that because none of that will be available anywhere else but in the US market.
It's been this way with the 360 as well.
I am glad Sony is focusing on the games instead of making a DRM packed glorified TV remote that keep an eye on you and your blood pressure while you sit on the sofa.

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 09:14 Flo

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

26. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 09:07 Verno

If I get a next gen console at all, it will be a PS4.  

25. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 09:03 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 08:51 Verno

Pretty much as bad as expected, ok then. Microsoft can take their teletubbie Kinected Adbox and shove it.  

23. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 08:26 MindStalker3

Cram wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 02:21:

I don't know anymore, I have a gut feeling Sony is going to do a lot of similar things by the time the system comes out.

www.psu.com
PlayStation 4 will not require an Internet connection in order to play games, Sony Worldwide Studios head honcho Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed.
gadgetshow.channel5.com
Speaking to Game Informer, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida made it clear that the Sony PS4 would not require a broadband connection to play. “Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it,” he told the magazine, for the reason that “many countries don’t have robust internet connections.”

I think the "many countries don't have a robust internet connection" is the ultimate confirmation. Sony is concerned with the Asian, US and European markets, Microsoft has been more concerned about the US market only.

22. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 04:29 Esoteric

I really wonder if Microsoft will backtrack at all on the online connection once every 24 hours after the gaming public blows up tomorrow over it. I don't understand how they could be so stupid.

I found this quote on reddit (not mine) and thought it was hilariously true:

"I think that's going to be everyone's response. At this point, basically all that Sony have to do is prove that their console exists and won't actively try to murder the user, and they'll win this generation of games consoles pretty decisively. I don't know what Microsoft are thinking."

So, they going to backtrack or no?

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo