Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was walking the dogs yesterday when we got ambushed by this crazy Portuguese Water Dog who was literally lying in the weeds of his lawn as we walked by, but luckily we were outside the barrier of his electric fence as he made his lunge. In the ensuing commotion, The Gunnar-man popped free from his leash. At first I thought this was because he was now on the leash that Hudson the wonder dog had recently managed to escape, but he does not have her finesse, he relies on brute force, and it turns out he managed to break his leather collar. This led to another trip the pet store, where I joked it was amazing how often we go there considering we don't buy dog food: but for instance we were just there a few weeks ago for a new leash for Hudson. I picked out a sturdy nylon mesh collar for Gunnar and another for her as a measure to prevent another return trip when hers inevitably broke too. When I went to put hers on, however, I discovered she has managed to once again lose her dog tags, and is currently carrying no ID in case she gets lost (which is bad considering she is the Houdini of dogs). So my efforts at forestalling another drive to this not particularly close store were in vain, as I now need to go get her a new name tag.

Leashed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Swarm Defender.
Obliterate Everything 2.
Links: Please Don’t Start Eating Healthfully. Sincerely, the Food Industry. Thanks reddit.
How a cardboard box saves babies' lives in Finland.
Stories: Do smoking bans really work?
Star Wars: Why Al Pacino turned down the role of Han Solo.
Science: Beyond recognition- the incredible story of a face transplant. Thanks nin.
Media: Super Mario Bros. - Piranha Plant Procedure.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2013, 10:11 Verno

Smoking sucks and it's super bad for you, that's coming from someone who did it for 15 years and finally was able to kick it. If you want to pay money to slowly kill yourself, prevent yourself from exercising and other assorted silliness then just give me the money and I'll kick you in the balls repeatedly for the same effect.

You can't smoke in public places anymore because we don't want kids seeing you do it and we're tired of being exposed to it. If you want to exercise your right to kill yourself then you've always got your own home to do it in.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2013, 09:38 Mr. Tact

Asmo wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 19:21:
But no where on a beach? Seriously, I can't walk 20 feet away from anyone and have a smoke? Public parks?
If the wind is the wrong direction, 20 feet isn't far enough. Hell, I have gotten a whiff of cigarette smoke from a car behind or in front of me in traffic.
And if we're going to play the 'harmful to oneself' angle, let's legislate out the ability to do anything that could possibly cause harm, permanent damage, the shortening of your life or death. Booze, fatty food, surfing, skydiving, driving a car.
You can do whatever you want to yourself, I just don't want you doing it to me.
Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 19:52:
Well, lets ban cars and factories then. Smokes are a joke compared to those two. I love when I'm downtown having a dart and someone gives me the hairy eyeball as several delivery trucks are parked beside them idling spewing out black smoke.
As long as cars have properly operating exhaust systems, they really aren't much of an issue. Trucks and buses... yeah, they are problematic. But I have to say, even though I dislike getting caught behind a truck in traffic, it's less irritating than cigarette smoke. Factories, while you are right they pump the stuff out, it is dissipating beyond human detection by the time it gets to me. Still not good for me, but at least I don't have to be aware of it.

Second to the smoke is the filters. Continually pisses me off seeing smokers flick their filters into roads, sidewalks, yards, everywhere.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2013, 05:27 jdreyer

Please Don’t Start Eating Healthfully. Sincerely, the Food Industry.

From the article:

The guidelines said that foods advertised to children must provide “a meaningful contribution to a healthful diet.” For example, any food marketed to children must “contain at least 50% by weight one or more of the following: fruit; vegetable; whole grain; fat-free or low-fat milk or yogurt; fish; extra lean meat or poultry; eggs; nuts and seeds; or beans.”

Specifically, according to General Mills, “of the 100 most commonly consumed foods and beverages in America, 88 would fail the IWG’s proposed standards.” So you see? If you people start eating the way the nutrition experts at the CDC and USDA recommend that you eat, that would delegitimize almost 90 percent of the products we produce!

Wow.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2013, 04:10 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 16:18:
Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 15:58:
Prez wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 15:24:
You have GOT to get that dog chipped. Just this week we were able to reunite two dogs with their owners at the animal shelter where I work because of their id chips.

Wish I could volunteer in an animal shelter but there's no way I could deal with it. I can't even walk into one without wanting to blubber and set them all free. Nicely done, man. I do however do most of my charity giving to animal related causes because you know, fuck people.

It's funny, I was reading all of those Game of Thrones tweets yesterday, and at least half of them were (show spoiler) "OMG, they killed the dire wolf!!! NOOOOOO!" and completely ignored what happened to the humans.

Yeah that was hilarious and pathetic and sad at the same time. Not only are people seriously attaching themselves to fictional characters, but they are more emotionaly attached to fictional animals than to fictional humans. If Jung were alive today he would probably commit suicide.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2013, 07:47.

I have a nifty blue line!

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2013, 03:31 Prez

Wish I could volunteer in an animal shelter but there's no way I could deal with it. I can't even walk into one without wanting to blubber and set them all free. Nicely done, man. I do however do most of my charity giving to animal related causes because you know, fuck people.

It was hard for me at first - there are so may heartbreaks (animals dying of disease, terrible abuse cases, etc...), and in a way it never really gets easier, but you learn to focus on how you can really help the animals. Over time my job has largely become rehabilitating dogs like ex-fighters and abused/abandoned dogs with issues to where they can be more adoptable and it is immensely rewarding to see a dog go from one who was so terrified on the day she came in the shelter that she peed herself if you looked at her to becoming social and trusting enough to get adopted and have a chance to live in a home with someone who will (hopefully) give her the peaceful, happy life she deserves. I really can't think of a more rewarding feeling.

I'm awarding like 3 billion XP, based on that. Thank you!

Great! Now I just need to figure out where to spend my skill points.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2013, 03:36.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 20:53 NegaDeath

As a smoker, I'm down with the whole "not in enclosed spaces" thing. Work, restaurants, clubs, planes, bus stops, no problem here, I don't want to inflict my habit on anyone.

But no where on a beach? Seriously, I can't walk 20 feet away from anyone and have a smoke? Public parks? Open air areas away from major numbers of people (Honolulu Int Airport for example banned all smoking despite having large open air areas).

Judging by the way the laws are being passed I would say no those aren't ok or won't be ok fairly soon. Just one of the hardships of living in a society. I'm sure there were people in the 30's that were upset when radium suppositories were taken away as well. Nudists probably feel oppressed too. Maybe we can get you a special beach like they have? Otherwise your out of luck.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 19:57 Redmask

And if I had my way, opinionated twats would have their heads inserted up their asses, but I guess you can't always get what you want... /eyeroll

As a smoker, I'm down with the whole "not in enclosed spaces" thing. Work, restaurants, clubs, planes, bus stops, no problem here, I don't want to inflict my habit on anyone.

But no where on a beach? Seriously, I can't walk 20 feet away from anyone and have a smoke? Public parks? Open air areas away from major numbers of people (Honolulu Int Airport for example banned all smoking despite having large open air areas). It's gone beyond protecting the rights of people to have clean air towards actively trying to legislate the choice to smoke out of existence, which is highly fucking ironic considering the moves to decriminlise or even legalise pot use, and the widely accepted knowledge that prohibition never really works...

And if we're going to play the 'harmful to oneself' angle, let's legislate out the ability to do anything that could possibly cause harm, permanent damage, the shortening of your life or death. Booze, fatty food, surfing, skydiving, driving a car. Hell, being 14-44 in Australia, the biggest single cause of death is suicide, so we should probably ban being male, age 14-44... \= |

Alcohol is mainly a recreational beverage and it isn't inherently harmful unless abused. Food is a necessity, excess use is idiotic but that's a different story that doesn't really compare here. Cigarettes are inherently harmful to your body, there is no upside, every single one harms your immune and respiratory system. The concept of recreational smoking is laughable, mention it to a doctor sometime, there's no such thing as smoking in moderation or just having a 'lite'.

I think everyone has a right to be as smart or as stupid as they want to be within the confines of our society of laws. I don't like every law but I follow them because that's how it works and there are plenty that cater to my needs. With some of that preamble out of the way, smokers wonder why cigarettes are slowly being stamped out of society. The answers are both simple and complex. The cost to the health care systems is enormous and cannot be understated, smoking costs a lot of money. Sure fat people cost a lot of money too and don't worry, society seems to be shifting to ensure they pay their fair share of the cost or 'shape up' too.

The other side of it is keeping it out of sight, out of mind for future generations. Banning smoking in public places and from store displays is a proven method of reducing smoking in youth, it's very very successful in parts of the US and Canada right now. The government knows someone who has been smoking for 20 years is probably hopeless and has given up on them. It's building a future without smoking, slowly weaning itself off the tax revenue, slowly saving the healthcare costs and trying to ensure that when the previous generation holdouts die out they don't pass on their bad habit.

Traditional cigarette smoking is kind antiquated anyways, its an insidious activity that attaches itself to all of your routines - before and after eating, going to bed, waking up, after sex, at work, etc. It's a physical addiction coupled with a mental routine supplement. There are ways to get nicotine fixes without the harmful carcinogens now as well which makes the whole 'right to smoke cigarettes' seem more and more like an unnecessarily harmful habit.

Wow that was pretty long, sorry I find the subject and study of addiction in modern society fascinating.

lets ban cars and factories

I get what you were going for here but they don't really cost a multi-billion dollar drain on our health care systems in the same way cigarettes do. They also have positive benefits for other aspects of society even if they were dangerous. Smoking doesn't really have an upside, it's just all bad for an individual and for society.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 19:52 Cutter

Well, lets ban cars and factories then. Smokes are a joke compared to those two. I love when I'm downtown having a dart and someone gives me the hairy eyeball as several delivery trucks are parked beside them idling spewing out black smoke.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

32. Re: Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 19:43 Beamer

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 17:45:
Enjoy smooth Carcinogen Lights. They're cancerrrrrrific! *insert wheezing Tony the Tiger*

If I had my way smokers would have to enter the Cone of Silence from Get Smart when they light up.

And if I had my way, opinionated twats would have their heads inserted up their asses, but I guess you can't always get what you want... /eyeroll

But no where on a beach? Seriously, I can't walk 20 feet away from anyone and have a smoke? Public parks? Open air areas away from major numbers of people (Honolulu Int Airport for example banned all smoking despite having large open air areas). It's gone beyond protecting the rights of people to have clean air towards actively trying to legislate the choice to smoke out of existence, which is highly fucking ironic considering the moves to decriminlise or even legalise pot use, and the widely accepted knowledge that prohibition never really works...

And if we're going to play the 'harmful to oneself' angle, let's legislate out the ability to do anything that could possibly cause harm, permanent damage, the shortening of your life or death. Booze, fatty food, surfing, skydiving, driving a car. Hell, being 14-44 in Australia, the biggest single cause of death is suicide, so we should probably ban being male, age 14-44... \= |

It isn't prohibition to tell you that you can't bother people around you. You can bother yourself all you want. Comparing it to prohibition isn't very accurate.

It's nice to be able to walk through an area and not smell awful for a while.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 19:21 Asmo

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 17:45:
Enjoy smooth Carcinogen Lights. They're cancerrrrrrific! *insert wheezing Tony the Tiger*

If I had my way smokers would have to enter the Cone of Silence from Get Smart when they light up.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 17:57 1badmf

BobBob wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 13:38:
Redmask wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 13:24:
Maybe you just don't have the sense of personal responsibility, love and respect necessary to own a pet. Also there's a big difference between domesticated and wild animals, if you need a refresher on this go camping sometime and try to interact with wonderful mother nature.

I am sure non slave owners were given the same speech by slave owners. Also, I respect 'mother nature' for its beauty, contribution to the ecosystem, and its ability to rip me to shreds. I enjoy watching the animals from a distance. They don't require my human interference.

and this, my friend, is why nobody respects PETA. because they say stupid shit like this.

29. Re: Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 17:45 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 16:32:
If you want to smoke, do it somewhere where non-smokers don't have to fucking smell it. Like in your own home. And keep that shit there.
Creston

28. Re: Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 16:49 Mr. Tact

Hell, one of the reasons I was interested in computers was because I knew you couldn't smoke around them (we are talking before the IBM PC) - that and AC.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 16:35 Creston

You have GOT to get that dog chipped. Just this week we were able to reunite two dogs with their owners at the animal shelter where I work because of their id chips.

+10000!!!!

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 16:33 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 10:13:
You dont buy dog food? May I ask what the doggies eat then?

First dog my parents and I had when I was a kid never got dog food. He just ate whatever we ate. He was healthy as can be for 15+ years.

Creston

25. Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 16:32 Creston

Yes. Yes they do, despite what the cigarette industry tries to bleat.

My fondest memory of a smoking ban came when a company I worked for in the mid 90s banned smoking on the workplace, to my great relief (as I came home every night absolutely stinking of fucking smoke because I shared an office with two smokers), and there was one designated 'smoke room' on our floor.

Within two days, the smokers complained that the smoke room "stank of smoke." Really? Wow. WHODATHUNKIT? Now you know what we had to put up with.

If you want to smoke, do it somewhere where non-smokers don't have to fucking smell it. Like in your own home. And keep that shit there.

Creston

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 16:18 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 15:58:

It's funny, I was reading all of those Game of Thrones tweets yesterday, and at least half of them were (show spoiler) "OMG, they killed the dire wolf!!! NOOOOOO!" and completely ignored what happened to the humans.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 16:11 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 14:33:
BobBob wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 13:38:
I am sure non slave owners were given the same speech by slave owners. Also, I respect 'mother nature' for its beauty, contribution to the ecosystem, and its ability to rip me to shreds. I enjoy watching the animals from a distance. It doesn't need my human interference.

I agree with you when it comes to wild or exotic animals. But domesticated animals have been bred for millenia to work with humans. They have evolved to the point that being with us is their natural state. Until you invent a time machine to go back 10,000 years and stop the first human who fed a wolf that isn't changing.

Actually, the current research is that dogs domesticated themselves.

Also, consistent with his beliefs, I'm sure Bobbob only eats meat from animals hunted in the wild. No McDonald's or dairy for you.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 15:58 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 15:34 nin

at the animal shelter where I work

I'm awarding like 3 billion XP, based on that. Thank you!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo