Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Wow, I'm still in shock over last night's Game of Thrones. I will avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen it, so if me talking about it here inspires forum comments, please use proper secret/spoiler tags. Anyway, thanks to the show I recently started reading the books, but am only partway through book one, so I had no forewarning of what would happen, other than the knowledge that the series is known to take no prisoners, and it certainly showed last night.

R.I.P.: Entertainers mourn Jean Stapleton: 'A great actress and wonderful lady'.

Game of Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mushbits 2.
Sift Renegade 3 - Expansion Defiance.
Stories: The crocodiles wandering in back yards. Thanks brother19.
Science: Greek yogurt's dirty little secret. Thanks Cutter.
Media: 412 foot jump snowmachine and motorcycle.
Reporter Says Dead Guy Will Recover.
Amazing Rescue Moments on CNN.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 13:17 shul

the following is a spoiler from the books, so don't read it if you didn't read through all of the books:

This is all good and well, the next steps are that catelyn is brought back from the dead and jeoffry is being killed in yet another wedding - these are the interesting things. Rob was a neausance and I'm glad he is gone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 15:42 Fion

The show portrayed this major moment rather well in my opinion. It didn't, couldn't, have the emotional resonance that the book has but it was still obviously a shock to a great many people. Perhaps in further episodes it will be explained why violence at a wedding, after breaking bread is considered such a terrible thing, as the show, unlike the book, never hinted to that.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2013, 16:02.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 04:08 InBlack

Creston wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 01:54:
I haven't read the books in 10+ years, so I'm fuzzy on the details. All I remember is that he goes off to the Freys basically by himself and brings his mother, and that's about it, for no singular purpose whatsoever.

It was fucking stupid. Robb was far, far smarter than that, and killing him because he gets plot-stupid is just retarded. If you want to kill him as a writer, there are literally a thousand better ways to do it than "I GO EAT THERE DUHHHHHH OH NOW THEY KILL ME DUHHHHH"

Anyways, by that point I was long since rooting for Daenerys to wipe the whole kingdom out, but sadly she seems to suffer from Aes-Sedai syndrome.

Creston

Hahahah, the Lannisters send their regards!! Also did you notice band playing the "Rains of Castamere" before the big finale? Perfect. Gotta love the show for these little nods. Explanation (spoilerish):

In any case, the whole Red Wedding was Tywin Lannisters little Ace in the Hole. Nobody fucks with Tywin...and lives. Its a shame that this isnt even mentioned in the show, and that Robb's little queen and her family are instrumental in bringing this about. Also about Robb being stupid and naive, well naivette is sort of born into the Starks its their weak spot. One other thing, Robb is like 17 or 18 years old. Sure he is a king, but he is basically a horny, lovestruck kid. They also shared bread under Frey's roof, that is why there was no thought of treachery. The sharing of bread is a very serious business in the Seven Kingdoms...erm guess not anymore hahahah

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2013, 04:26.

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 02:43 jacobvandy

Yeah, there's your problem, mis-remembering the couple of things you didn't completely forget, lol.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 02:14 Beamer

He needed the Freys soldiers after losing the Karstacks, and he didn't just go there, he brought his entire army. They were the ones out drunken wrestling.

Also, the Venture Brothers was the bigger surprise last night. Stellar.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 01:54 Creston

I haven't read the books in 10+ years, so I'm fuzzy on the details. All I remember is that he goes off to the Freys basically by himself and brings his mother, and that's about it, for no singular purpose whatsoever.

It was fucking stupid. Robb was far, far smarter than that, and killing him because he gets plot-stupid is just retarded. If you want to kill him as a writer, there are literally a thousand better ways to do it than "I GO EAT THERE DUHHHHHH OH NOW THEY KILL ME DUHHHHH"

Anyways, by that point I was long since rooting for Daenerys to wipe the whole kingdom out, but sadly she seems to suffer from Aes-Sedai syndrome.

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 00:36 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 23:53:
I don't care that he kills characters. Like people have said, that does keep it interesting, and does keep you on your toes.

But I do care when he kills them in literally the dumbest way possible, and that the main characters get "plot-stupid" in order to fall for the biggest fucking advertised trap in the history of storytelling. Nobody in the entire universe would (spoiler) fall for the trap that Rob walks into like a total retard completely brainless amoeba.

Creston

Well, not sure if you paid particularly close attention, but even in the show they put some pretty major emphasis on the fact that trying to make amends with the Freys and gaining their support in the war was pretty much his only option. Not only for defeating the Lannisters and their allies (which wasn't even guaranteed if they succeeded, you can tell by the way they talked that taking Casterly Rock was as much of a final 'fuck you' message as it was a last-ditch effort to turn the tide of the war), but for ensuring their very survival as both a family and a kingdom in the north. Their home was destroyed and half their former strength deserted them after the in-fighting over Jaime. By that point, they had lost the ability to just call it quits and retreat, because they had nowhere to go, with Winter well on its way. Trying to surrender would be even dumber, so that was off the table, as well. I guaran-damn-tee you Robb knew full well what could happen, but you also have to keep in mind that Walder Frey was a real son of a bitch and committed a major crime against society by murdering guests in his home after breaking bread and pledging them his protection. It hasn't happened yet, but I reckon he will get what's coming to him eventually.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 00:24 HoSpanky

Wow, that was an intense episode. I loved and hated it because it was amazingly refreshing but dammit...

Oh, you looked! Yeah, nothing here.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 23:53 Creston

I don't care that he kills characters. Like people have said, that does keep it interesting, and does keep you on your toes.

But I do care when he kills them in literally the dumbest way possible, and that the main characters get "plot-stupid" in order to fall for the biggest fucking advertised trap in the history of storytelling. Nobody in the entire universe would (spoiler) fall for the trap that Rob walks into like a total retard completely brainless amoeba.

Creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 21:49 eRe4s3r

I guess people finally figure out why Game of Thrones has so many characters and (apparent) side stories. Yeah a series where 99% of the story hinges on the actions of 1 dude or girl is not going to kill that one off... which is why it's so often incredibly easy to spot the characters with plot armor.... (Sidenote: there are characters in GoT who have plot armor, in so far as that the books never got around to brutally murdering them.. YET ,p)

And why so many TV shows are incredibly dull and boring. The Walking dead is imo a great example of just how incredibly stupid this can get, to a point where you aren't even caring anymore what happens to a character, because you know he can't die or the series would be over. I get why in movies they do it (no time to really establish 50 side characters) but in shows that run over 50+ episodes having 1 character that doesn't die is inexcusable. Conversely, sometimes I feel like they are so starved for characters they CAN kill off that they kill off INTERESTING side characters.... bah

But yeah, really this is one of the primary reasons this show is great. The source material does not fuck around and the show follows it through! How rare a thing to see with the shit in TV.. and the reason GoT is so huge a hit.

Edit: I also remember Supernatural pulling the plot-armor card pretty damn majorly... it got really absurd (and is why I stopped watching it)..

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 21:20 Sepharo

Spoiler text:

Kept hearing people say shit like "Just wait until the Red Wedding" and still as I sat there watching the wedding I had no idea what was about to happen. Then after the initial firing squad "Oh I guess that's why they call it the Red Wedding." Then just about every character stands back up somehow only to be killed again.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 20:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 19:47:
Oh baby, is it ever sad going through that thread. I'm surprised most of them are even literate enough to spew out their rants. It's no wonder they haven't read the books, they're incapable of it.
That cracked me up.

Sad to see Michelle Fairley off the show. She was so good as Catelyn.

One of those tweets went something like, "OMG, what happens next, Joffery wins the war??!?! I'm so over GoT!!!" All I could think was, stick it out because GRRM takes no prisoners.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 19:47 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 18:02:
I guess Ice and Fire fans are more mature than the Snape Kills Dumbledore crowd?

Oh obviously. Heh, the nerd rage in that twitter thread is pure hilarity. I love one girl asking if the actor who played Robb can come back in another role. I feel like replying, 'Oh don't worry honey! When good people die in George's books it's just like the Jedi when their ghost returns more powerful than ever and helps their loved ones. You'll see it all next season.' Hahaha!

Oh baby, is it ever sad going through that thread. I'm surprised most of them are even literate enough to spew out their rants. It's no wonder they haven't read the books, they're incapable of it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 18:02 PHJF

I guess Ice and Fire fans are more mature than the Snape Kills Dumbledore crowd?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 17:29 Kedyn

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 13:02:
So many delicious tears on Twitter overnight, here's an account retweeting them all.

It actually wasn't nearly so bad as I had imagined, but that's probably partially due to me already having gotten over that trauma a couple years ago when I read it. It's just amazing to see how many people who are such big fans had NO IDEA it was coming.

Oh god, such a good read. Wow. Love it.

As someone that has read all of the books, all I have to say is this: it doesn't stop.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 17:04 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 16:26:
From the way people gush about this game of thrones show I'm starting to think I should watch it.

Compared to the vast majority of crap out there - and let's face it, 99% of TV is absolute garbage - you could do worse and probably regularly do. This is one of those gems shining out amongst the rest of the detritus in the landfill.

Hell, I'd watch it just for Charles Dance's portrayal of Tywin Lannister. The man is absolutely perfect for the part.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 16:26 NegaDeath

From the way people gush about this game of thrones show I'm starting to think I should watch it.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 16:06 jdreyer

"When you play the game of thrones you win or you die."

Both GRRM and the show runners stick to that.

Usually, when people screw up in GRRM's work, they pay for it, usually with their lives. Ned couldn't play the political game, and neither could Robb despite their fantastic tactical abilities. Jon Snow has just been lucky. He should be dead already. And Renly, well, not much you can do against sorcery.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 14:51 eRe4s3r

And this is why I love the show.. even if I have to pirate it to watch it in any timely and non-terrible-dubbed manner.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 14:21 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 13:02:
So many delicious tears on Twitter overnight, here's an account retweeting them all.

It actually wasn't nearly so bad as I had imagined, but that's probably partially due to me already having gotten over that trauma a couple years ago when I read it. It's just amazing to see how many people who are such big fans had NO IDEA it was coming.

Awwww, I guess they best stick to children's fantasy where only the wicked are punished and good always prevails. I wasn't surprised when that happened in the books because I'm well familiar with George's style outside of Fire & Ice and killing off major and loved characters is nothing new for him. And I appreciate him all the more for it. The sun shines on the just and unjust alike. I think the only character he could kill in the series that would piss me off would be Tyrion. Love that little scamp.

And RIP Jean. All in the Family is still one of my fave shows of all time. Dingbat will be getting Archie a beer in housewife heaven now. *sniff*

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo