Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam

Who wants some Wang? Because Shadow Warrior Classic is now available to play for free on Steam, offering the chance to recall the wackiness of this Build-engine shooter. A reboot of the franchise was recently unveiled, and it seems likely this unannounced free release is related to that. Thanks Ant.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 4, 2013, 03:45 Jerykk

Huh, weird. Still find it odd that there's no mention of 3D Realms in the listings for Shadow Warrior Classic and the reboot.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 3, 2013, 09:21 Kristian Joensen

Jerykk wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 21:56:
They don't. They licensed it from 3D Realms.

Source? Right now, I don't see any mention of 3D Realms or Apogee when it comes to Shadow Warrior. Digital Devolver is listed as the publisher of the original on both GOG and Steam and the teaser trailer for the reboot only lists Flying Wild Hog and Digital Devolver. If 3D Realms were just licensing out the IP, surely their name would still be attached to any Shadow Warrior products. I think it's more likely that they sold the IP to Digital Devolver, much like they sold Prey, Duke Nukem, Death Rally and Max Payne.

My source on this is that they mentioned it on Facebook, on the Shadow Warrior profile, but that post is now buried among many others.

Edit:

"and Steam and the teaser trailer for the reboot only lists Flying Wild Hog and Digital Devolver."

There is a 3D Realms logo in the end.

Edit2:

I found the Facebook comment:

Flying Wild Hog is producing the soundtrack. Devolver Digital licensed the IP from 3D Realms and are working with Flying Wild Hog on the game.
(Source)

Edit3:

I should also add that Scott Miller has been posting about it on Facebook.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2013, 09:52.

27. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 21:56 Jerykk

They don't. They licensed it from 3D Realms.

Source? Right now, I don't see any mention of 3D Realms or Apogee when it comes to Shadow Warrior. Digital Devolver is listed as the publisher of the original on both GOG and Steam and the teaser trailer for the reboot only lists Flying Wild Hog and Digital Devolver. If 3D Realms were just licensing out the IP, surely their name would still be attached to any Shadow Warrior products. I think it's more likely that they sold the IP to Digital Devolver, much like they sold Prey, Duke Nukem, Death Rally and Max Payne.

26. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 19:33 Ant

Its source code should had been released too. Any good mods/addons for this old game like Doomsday/JDoom, Risen3D, etc. for DOOM?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 16:29 Kristian Joensen

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 10:16:
After DNF Kristian Joensen has to be passionate about something.

Thanks for your valuable input....

Fantaz wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 15:36:
Is the remake going to have 2D sprites?

I wonder why having the year "(1997)" in the name for the title next to "Shadow Warrior Classic" on Steam was necessary?

Also I was expecting more of a remake/port than just a DOSBox emulation of this game.

That is probably coming too. General Arcade that did the iOS port of Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition is probably working on something similar to Megaton Edition for Shadow Warrior. That will very likely NOT be free.

24. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 15:36 Fantaz

Is the remake going to have 2D sprites?

I wonder why having the year "(1997)" in the name for the title next to "Shadow Warrior Classic" on Steam was necessary?

Also I was expecting more of a remake/port than just a DOSBox emulation of this game.

23. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 11:40 nin

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 08:47:
Holy Great Wall of Text! Was that all necessary?

Nope.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 10:16 Mad Max RW

After DNF Kristian Joensen has to be passionate about something.  

21. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 09:15 Fibrocyte

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 08:47:

Looks to me like Burrito of Peace is trying to start a fight.

20. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 08:47 Burrito of Peace

19. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 07:18 Kristian Joensen

Jerykk wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 18:20:
nin wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:40:
Prez wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:37:
How cool is this?! Thanks Valve (and whomever is currently holding the license).

Think whoever is doing the remake put it out. According to the steam forums, there's also an upcoming more feature supported version, like what they did with Duke Nukem 3d (I'm assuming there's a cost involved, too).

Digital Devolver is publishing the remake so I assume they own the IP now.

They don't. They licensed it from 3D Realms. Which is very much an active company:

http://www.3drealms.com/history.html

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2013/04/duke_nukem_ii_now_available_for_ios.html

"Will Interceptor Entertainment and 3D Realms work together on any future projects?

Frederik Schreiber: We have entered agreements on other games. Thats all I can say for now " (Source)

> Q3. Now that 3D Realms has sold the Prey and Duke Nukem IP what is planned
> for the future of 3D Realms?

We have a lot of options, especially with the resurgence of smaller
platform games, which goes back to our roots as the leader of indie
games 20 years ago. Making smaller games on a short time line is a lot
of fun, so we will be pursuing that, for sure. And through Radar, a
company we co-own, we will be developing several other projects,
including film projects. We'll be staying busy, there's no doubt of
that.
(Source)

The Future

I've read that 3D Realms is closing. Is that true?

SM: No, 3D Realms is not closing. The internal development is no longer a part of this business, though.

It seems like the whole blog world exploded talking about Duke Nukem Forever stopping production.

SM: There's a lawsuit around this, so I really can't get into any details on that.

I'm just worried about the future of 3D Realms.

SM: Our future is fine. We have, I think at last count, 11 or 12 projects in the works. One of them is coming out next week. Another one is coming out in about six weeks. Both of those are on the iPhone. We have some major games in production still. So we're fine. That's not an issue at all.

So did you just lay off the development staff for Duke Nukem Forever? Is that what happened?

SM: Right.

So you're still there, and you're still technically Apogee under the hood.

SM: There's actually another company now going by the name of Apogee. About a year ago, we licensed the Apogee name to some other business people -- one of them had actually worked here several years before. They're reviving the Apogee label, the Apogee name, and they're doing a Duke Nukem Trilogy of games on the DS and PSP. They're also going to reboot the Rise of the Triad franchise, plus they have some other original titles that they're going to be doing.
(Source)

Q1) Is 3D Realms currently involved in any projects and if so could you
discuss them at any length?

Yes, we have several projects underway, all fairly small -- not any
big console games. Once DNF comes out we'll be definitely looking to
invest into other projects, and maybe other up-n-coming teams who are
blazing new trails on smaller platforms, like smart phones and XBLA.
We have a long history of investing in young, unproven teams, going
way back to Id Software, and including other notables like Parallax
Software (we were the first studio to invest in Descent), and Remedy
Entertainment (Death Rally and Max Payne). So, we like that model and
will keep doing it in the future. We seem to have a good eye for
unproven talent waiting for some experienced guidance and hard-to-find
funding.
(Source)

What does this work involve on 3D Realms' side?:

Publisher/producer? What roles behind a game do these take? For example, how much input does one have in the actual design of a title?

Scott: When we act as a producer, we often contribute significant funding to a project, which allows it to reach a point where it is much easier to pitch to publishers. We also provide design guidance, marketing guidance (for example, I was a prime mover on all marketing for Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne, and Prey, leading the design of the retail boxes, game ads, picking the screen shots, writing all of the marketing text, etc.), and at the end, we are deeply involved with play-testing and polishing. It’s quite a lot of work, but then, it’s also really fun.

Prey was well received by press and gamers alike, so just how much input did 3D Realms have in its development?

Scott: All of the above! Big money. The overall concept came from me, and was then co-shaped by Human Head and me together. I brought in all three of the external writers and worked closely with them, and Human Head, to lay-out the story and characters. Human Head and I worked on all of the key gameplay ideas, some coming from me (death walk, spirit walk, Talon) and some from Human Head (gravity and wall walking). And many from 3DR were involved with the game’s play-testing. It really is a big collaboration.
(Source)

Just to be clear that I do not hijack improper credit, Max Payne was developed (all content and code) by Remedy Entertainment (they did all the hard work!), and produced by 3D Realms (meaning we funded a significant portion of the game, handled the publishing agreements, helped guide the game's design, helped play-tested and polished the game, handled the shareware release, and oversaw and co-designed the game's marketing).
(Source)

Money is the root of all evil. Said one developer, “Someone once told me the Golden Rule really is, ‘The guy with the gold makes the rules.’” Scott Miller, 3D Realms co-founder, states it just as plainly. “The dirty secret is: Publishers con-trol developers through payments. Rockstar was paying Human Head so late on the milestones payments [in the early days of Prey] that 3D Realms was jumping in to help Human Head because they had payroll to meet. [Rockstar] even said to us, ‘[You’re] taking over the control [we] have over developers.’ Nasty stuff like that happens all the time.” For its part, 3D Realms is helping its fellow developers by offering creative and financial assistance on projects.

Naturally, the money that publishers pour into a project entitles them to have some say. These suggestions can run the gamut of good, bad, and ugly. “When Prey was being developed early on it was actually a Rockstar-label game,” ex-plains Miller. “At the time, Metroid Prime was going to be released, and they had the whole visor thing, and this pro-ducer [from Rockstar] said, ‘Well, the visor is going to be a big thing for Metroid, and we should have a visor for Prey.’ And it didn’t fit anything to do with the game at all. So it ended up where we were rejecting all these crazy ideas, and for that reason along with some others, Rockstar ended up dropping the game because we were too hard to work with.”
(Source)

GS: While reading your blog lately, I noticed that you were talking about partnering with studios that might not otherwise get a chance to have a good start.

SM: Well, there’s a bunch of reasons. Where should I start? Just from our track record, lots of studios can see what we bring to the table. We bring funding to the table. We did two million dollars’ worth of funding for Max Payne and we did well over that for Prey. We’re an insurance policy that a game is going to get done to a level of polish that we’re happy with that maybe a publisher wouldn’t be happy with.

I don’t think that a lot of publishers really understand the importance of the final two or three months of polishing. A lot of games get released that gamers say, “with some polishing, this game could have been pretty nice.” We make sure they get that level of polish.
(Source)

Even with everything all set up, the
project still had its problems. You would
have been forgiven if you’d thought Prey
was cursed. It gave Gerritsen and his
team some nail-biting moments.
“Though I can’t discuss details due to
non-disclosure agreements, I can say
that Human Head worked without a
publishing contract for about 18 months
due to our dispute with our publisher.
That was pretty frightening since Human
Head is an independent studio, and we
were dependent on our milestone
payments to pay for production."
“3D Realms, however, believed in the
game and what we were doing with
development, and they funded us during
that period. This kept the company, and
the project, alive during that period."
(Source)

18. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 05:35 Armengar

I remember bonding isdn with my mate for this. Lan parties involved games of "hunt the terminator" and "drivers for genius lan" just as much...  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

17. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 00:46 Beelzebud

SirKnight wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 00:27:
Rea1One wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 19:02:
This game is terrible, can't believe I used to think it was good soo many years ago.

Crazy talk.

I honestly, even today, think this game kicks modern FPS's asses. The level design and game-play is just so much better than what FPS's have devolved into.

Your glasses are extremely rose colored.

16. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 00:27 SirKnight

Rea1One wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 19:02:
This game is terrible, can't believe I used to think it was good soo many years ago.

Crazy talk.

I honestly, even today, think this game kicks modern FPS's asses. The level design and game-play is just so much better than what FPS's have devolved into.

15. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 2, 2013, 00:25 SirKnight

There's also this port: http://www.jonof.id.au/jfsw  

14. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 22:54 Cram

killer_roach wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 20:58:
Kosumo wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 20:18:
Don't forget to use Ten-Online!

Man, point-to-point dial-up multiplayer is really where it's at.

Back in the day of 33.6k/56k connections. I remember trying different "Init Strings" with this one with my friend to try to A) actually get a proper connection and B) get a low lag connection.

13. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 22:26 fujiJuice

TEN-Online was awesome.

12. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 20:58 killer_roach

Man, point-to-point dial-up multiplayer is really where it's at.

11. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 20:18 Kosumo

10. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 19:58 Xero

That's hilarious, I remember seeing this game every time my mother would drive with me to Kmart and I'd walk their electronics section. I didn't even own a computer back then, lol. Do I even want to attempt this now?  

Currently playing: Sanitarium, Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo