Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Metro: Last Light
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  5. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  6. Reus
  7. Sins of A Solar Empire: Rebellion
  8. Unreal Deal Pack
  9. PayDay 2
  10. Don't Starve

View
98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

98. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2013, 20:18 Pankin

Yeah, I'm with you guys.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

97. Re: Steam Top 10 May 28, 2013, 11:10 Verno

mch wrote on May 28, 2013, 10:45:
Just my $0.02 but I picked up Dust after reading through these comments yesterday and I have to say I'm very happy I did so. Played it for a good part of the day yesterday and I can't really remember the last time I've sat down with a game for that long.

I also agree with Verno's comments on Don't Starve, for the most part. A bit grindy and difficult (the first game I played I couldn't find a boulder with gold for the whole 7-10 days I stayed alive).

Food seems a bit scarce and I in my current game I can't find any damn Beefalo but I realize you can tweak the spawn rate of these things. I'd like to play it successfully on the vanilla settings, but when I'm struggling to stay alive past 15 days due to just dumb luck and scarcity, my patience wears a bit thin.

The frustrating thing with the game is that there is no sense of progression, you can still be picking grass 20 days into the game. There is just a lot of tedium because hey that's survival but I have enough tedium in real life already

I don't mind RNG stuff that much (FTL has a fair amount of it) but the RNG combined with the tedious stuff in Don't Starve just turns me off. That said I keep going back to give it another chance so they obviously succeeded somewhere there.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

96. Re: Steam Top 10 May 28, 2013, 10:45 mch

Just my $0.02 but I picked up Dust after reading through these comments yesterday and I have to say I'm very happy I did so. Played it for a good part of the day yesterday and I can't really remember the last time I've sat down with a game for that long.

I also agree with Verno's comments on Don't Starve, for the most part. A bit grindy and difficult (the first game I played I couldn't find a boulder with gold for the whole 7-10 days I stayed alive).

Food seems a bit scarce and I in my current game I can't find any damn Beefalo but I realize you can tweak the spawn rate of these things. I'd like to play it successfully on the vanilla settings, but when I'm struggling to stay alive past 15 days due to just dumb luck and scarcity, my patience wears a bit thin.

PSN: CaseDesignate

95. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 22:50 Jerykk

Quinn touched on my issue when he mentioned immersion. Obviously even in the best games the illusion is never convincing enough to make us forget that we are only playing a game, but it's a relative thing I think. I've been playing Borderlands 2 for over 250 hours now and I am not the least bit tired of it. While I never find myself thinking I actually am a Vault Hunter on Pandora, I can easily lose myself in the fascinating world with its interesting characters, and I love doing it. When it comes to sidescrollers I cannot do that. The best way I can describe it is that I don't feel a part of the game world, no matter how well conceived or how interesting its characters, because of the extremely limited range of movement you are allowed through it and how it is presented. My little avatar is not "in" the world; rather he seems to be running and jumping between flat surfaces that are in front of it, sort of like an actor in front of a green screen in a bland studio. The beautiful world of Trine just comes across as a lovely mosaic that I get to run and jump side to side in front of but never actually enter.

Fair enough. I can accept that certain perspectives are just immersion-breaking for some people. I've seen a few people who can't stand either first-person games or third-person games too. I was under the impression that you considered all 2D side-scrollers to be the same but clearly isn't the case. Consider me off your back.

94. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 21:57 Ray Marden

I hate to admit it, but the Xbox gamepad for Windows I purchased almost a year ago has made a number of platform/action/arcade-style games significantly easier to play...
Don't make my second mistake; get the wireless model.
Fairly interested in Dust,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

93. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 21:50 Prez

As I mentioned before, you're defining "2D side-scroller" as a game with a 2D, side-view camera that scrolls with the player. That still covers a huge range of games from different genres. If, for some reason, you can't stand that type of camera, I guess I can understand. However, you shouldn't assume that all games that use that camera belong to the same genre.

Fair enough. I have sampled enough sidescrollers to understand that many are from a different genre. Since we started this discussion I've been thinking back to see if there were any sidescrollers in the past that I enjoyed, and I came up with two - Double Dragon and Final Fight, both sidescrolling beatem-ups. I looked at youteube videos to refresh my memory to see what may have been different about those games. More on that later. Verno made a good point; if you're going to discuss what you like or don't like in an open forum such as this, you ought to be able to discuss why it is in such a way that even though others might not agree, at least they might understand. I haven't done a very good job of it up until now so apologies if I've come across as "trollish" or "lazy".

Quinn touched on my issue when he mentioned immersion. Obviously even in the best games the illusion is never convincing enough to make us forget that we are only playing a game, but it's a relative thing I think. I've been playing Borderlands 2 for over 250 hours now and I am not the least bit tired of it. While I never find myself thinking I actually am a Vault Hunter on Pandora, I can easily lose myself in the fascinating world with its interesting characters, and I love doing it. When it comes to sidescrollers I cannot do that. The best way I can describe it is that I don't feel a part of the game world, no matter how well conceived or how interesting its characters, because of the extremely limited range of movement you are allowed through it and how it is presented. My little avatar is not "in" the world; rather he seems to be running and jumping between flat surfaces that are in front of it, sort of like an actor in front of a green screen in a bland studio. The beautiful world of Trine just comes across as a lovely mosaic that I get to run and jump side to side in front of but never actually enter.

So why did I like Double Dragon? Maybe because of the way it was drawn - the street stretched out to the bottom of the screen and angled downward so it seemed that the player was on it and in the world, or maybe because it was such a mindless pleasure beating the snot out of all those baddies with a friend. Also, there was no platform jumping. I fucking HATE jumping. Anyway, hope that helps, and gets Jerykk off my back!

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 21:59.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

92. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 18:53 eRe4s3r

It plays flawlessly with mouse and kb...  

91. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 18:03 deqer

PHJF wrote on May 26, 2013, 09:59:
If you like games that are actually good... buy Dust
The trailer (on steam) does actually look pretty good, once you get half-way through the trailer and 75% through and at the end.

I am 90% sold. I'm just wondering how I would play it without of a gamepad controller of some sort; last gamepad controller (for pc) I had was 15 years ago.

90. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 17:05 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on May 27, 2013, 08:04:
Jerykk wrote on May 27, 2013, 05:24:
Prez wrote on May 27, 2013, 01:49:
"2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre, it's a camera perspective.

No, 2D is a perspective. A sidescroller is a sidescroller, not a "perspective". I've already said I like many 2D games. On the other hand I like virtually no sidescrollers. It's got nothing to do with perspective and everything to do with how limiting, constricting, and lifeless a sidescrolling game feels to me. Make it a top down 2D game with the exact same art and suddenly it becomes something I'm possibly interested in.

I would try any 2D RPG because there's a good chance I would like it. I would not try a sidescrolling RPG because there's virtually no chance I would like it. They are not for me. Why is that so hard for you to understand????? Dizzy

How would you define "side-scroller"? Fallout 1 and 2 were both 2D games that had a scrolling camera. Diablo was a 2D game that had a scrolling camera. By "side-scroller," you're specifically referring to a 2D, side-view of the world. Therefore, it is indeed a perspective. Which brings us back to my original point that disliking a game because of its perspective seems silly. It's like saying that you don't like first-person or third-person games, even though there's a huge range of genres that use either perspective.

I guess it is plausible that some people would find certain perspectives inherently awkward or irritating. Just seems like such a waste to miss out on great games solely because of that.

I don't think Prez means "a 2D game with sideways scrolling", he's using "2D side-scroller" to refer to the genre that Dust, Sonic and Prince of Persia belong to. Although these can have other genre features (RPG elements, or beat-em-up features; putting a game into a single genre is increasingly a fool's errand), they all have the same basic gameplay system. There are other games which are 2D (or 2.5D) and feature sideways scrolling but which I wouldn't call a 2D side-scroller. Fallout, Civilization, Cannon-Fodder - all 2D and all have sideways scrolling, but they're not what I would call 2D side-scrollers and I don't think they're what Prez would call 2D side-scrollers either.

What is the right name for these? 2D platformers? That's not ideal either.

2D vertical scrollers (sometimes called shoot-em-ups, but I associate that with FPS games) are a similar genre, popular with many and good luck to you one and all, but they're not for me.

Dust is a beat-em-up. Sonic is a platformer. Prince of Persia is a pseudorealistic platformer. All three are very different games from different genres, yet you place them all under the same, ambiguous category of "2D side-scroller." I take issue with that because they are completely different games. That's like me putting Morrowind, Doom and Amnesia all under the same category just because they're all first-person. Also, it's not that hard to categorize games. Just look at the primary gameplay mechanic. If a game primarily revolves around shooting stuff, it's a shooter. If a game primarily revolves around beating stuff up, it's a beat-em-up. If a game primarily revolves around platforming, it's a platformer. Genres are defined by gameplay, not by perspective.

As I mentioned before, you're defining "2D side-scroller" as a game with a 2D, side-view camera that scrolls with the player. That still covers a huge range of games from different genres. If, for some reason, you can't stand that type of camera, I guess I can understand. However, you shouldn't assume that all games that use that camera belong to the same genre.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 17:21.

89. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 15:58 eRe4s3r

Well you got insofar a point that a Gamer should always have an open mind towards games no matter what they are. One never knows what ends up being fun or not until one tries it!

Life is way too short to wholesale deny the possibility something one hasn't tried isn't fun.

88. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 15:23 Verno

El Pit wrote on May 27, 2013, 14:42:
I don't get it why some people here think their opinion is above everybody else's. Verno, it is NOT ridiculous. If I am saying that platformers and 2D are no longer fun to me, then it is that way. If it's different for you, good for you. Should I ridicule you for still playing 2D jump-arounds on a quadcore with a gtx 670?

When you offer it up with a comment about how you stopped playing them after the Atari, that reads as a bit of a dig to me and you open it for discussion regardless when you post it on a forum so acting like people are just going out of their way and trying to force their opinion on you is really disingenuous IMHO. That statement about hardware applies just as easily to most FPS console ports BTW, if you don't think 2D games can be demanding and visually modern then go check Odin Sphere or a Rayman game.

I post that I love JRPGs and hate fighting games all the time and fully expect that I might have to discuss why, preference or otherwise. People pointing out that the games aren't all created equal is not unreasonable so I don't get where the defensiveness is coming from, no one has asked you to really do anything except maybe to reconsider sometime which is at worst a suggestion. I don't really like fighting games in general but a friend told me to check out Injustice and I did, gasp I'm even having fun!

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 15:34.

87. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 14:42 El Pit

Verno, it is NOT ridiculous. If I am saying that platformers and 2D are no longer fun to me, then it is that way. If it's different for you, good for you. Should I ridicule you for still playing 2D jump-arounds on a quadcore with a gtx 670? No, I won't. I don't get it why some people here think their opinion is above everybody else's. Time to question your own position, guys. And that's it. I'm out of this thread. Back to playing Borderlands 2.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

86. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 13:56 Verno

El Pit wrote on May 27, 2013, 13:21:
You go and play what you want and so do I. And 2D and/or platformers are no more interesting to me. Once first person perspective was introduced, I was spoilt. That's immersion to me, but again: play what you want. It's a free world.

No one told you what to play, it goes without saying everyone does their own thing (irrational or otherwise). Just pointing out that the statement behind it is ridiculous, hence the quote about stopping playing FPS games after Doom which I'm sure you would think is silly too.

There are so many different types of 2D/sidescroll/etc games that its pointless to paint them all with one brush anyway. If people want to miss out on great games due to some aversion to a camera perspective then *shrug* their money. Saying it on a forum opens that up for discussion though

85. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 13:21 El Pit

You go and play what you want and so do I. And 2D and/or platformers are no more interesting to me. Once first person perspective was introduced, I was spoilt. That's immersion to me, but again: play what you want. It's a free world.  

84. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 13:07 Verno

El Pit wrote on May 27, 2013, 12:58:
Stopped playing platformers and/or 2d side scrollers when I sold my Atari VCS 2600. Never looked back. To each their own.

"Stopped playing FPS games after Doom" I mean come on

All games with a specific perspective or view point are not created equal.

Also after more Don't Starve I am still finding this game overly grindy

83. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 12:58 El Pit

Stopped playing platformers and/or 2d side scrollers when I sold my Atari VCS 2600. Never looked back. To each their own.  

82. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 10:56 Quinn

yuastnav wrote on May 27, 2013, 10:22:
Quinn wrote on May 27, 2013, 09:00:
[...]
Now, however, you sound like a fucking robot who keeps getting a BSOD on semantics. [...]

Quite the contrary. It is an important skill to be able form your thoughts correctly using the gift of language.
When people are too lazy to do it I will call them out on it.

How was I or Prez lazy? It was very clear what we meant. With utmost certainty I know Jerykk knew what we meant. He just decided to press the smart-ass button just for the sake of discussion; for disagreeing, simply because he somehow couldn't cope with someone just stating their opinion and let it be just that.

HorrorScope wrote on May 27, 2013, 10:47:
Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:4:
I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers.

There is no simpler answer in the world. A: Because people are different. You know it, now respect it. Pretty stupid knowing it and not.

In a sense, mate, you start disrespecting someone's opinion the moment you dive into a discussion with them about it. But let's not go there. Anyway.. In the more common sense: Where am I disrespecting it? The first part of that comment clearly showed why I didn't quite get it. Of course I "get" it, like you said.. it's just opinions. But there's awesome games like (and I hate to sound like a broken record) Van Helsing and Metro LL, yet these development wise simple -- yes, relatively simple indeed -- "2D" indie games get this sort of... special kinda luvin'. At least that's my impression. That I don't get. That's what I meant there.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 11:07.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

81. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 10:47 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:4I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers. [/quote:

There is no simpler answer in the world. A: Because people are different. You know it, now respect it. Pretty stupid knowing it and not.

80. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 10:40 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on May 27, 2013, 00:58:
But what's this that he gets to decide how it gets played? Something tells me that 400K worth of backers are going to be really, REALLY fucking pissed at that idea. Have fun, fellas!

I don't know, I looked at that as a beni for the gamers.

79. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 10:22 yuastnav

Quinn wrote on May 27, 2013, 09:00:
[...]
Now, however, you sound like a fucking robot who keeps getting a BSOD on semantics. [...]

Quite the contrary. It is an important skill to be able form your thoughts correctly using the gift of language.
When people are too lazy to do it I will call them out on it.

Anyway, I like Dust. I really like Dust. Such a fun little game.
I also like Fidget and what he did with her.

98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo