Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2013, 13:11 Verno

Good luck getting consumers to plug their cable box into this thing, most people don't even hook it up themselves in the first place.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2013, 08:00 avianflu

I am curious how MS is going to market this weird thing to general consumers when XMAS time comes. As a cable box? As a game console? As a creepy home surveillance device? I think typical consumers will be confused. MS has a very uphill battle selling it, though it will be fun to see the train wreck of trying to merchandise the device.

The PS3 did not make a "comeback;" It sold OK globally but there was never a sustained uptick in sales, and the 360 eventually overtook it in unit sales globally. The only thing that saved the PS3 is the price finally came down from the ridiculous $600 price point. The Wii completely and utterly crushed both of them in global unit sales. SONY flubbed it, after the great PS1 and PS2. MS's red ring of death should have killed their sales, but bizarrely, it didnt. The Halo franchise likely had something to do with that. 20-somethings are bonkers about Halo even to this day. If SONY can push out a sleek, cheap, gaming-centric console, they have a chance. But I am not betting on it. Just look at what they did to the VITA. Bloated hardware features. "It is just $250! Well, plus $200 in needed over-priced accessories!" No one bought the VITA: it is a walking zombie of a console.

15. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2013, 05:43 InBlack

Prez wrote on May 27, 2013, 02:00:
I just came here to 'LOL' at Micrsoft disabling XBone comments on its youtube channel. So, lol.

Yeah sticking your head in the sand is truly the way to make all of your problems dissapear!

Microostrich FTW!

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2013, 05:19 Kajetan

jdreyer wrote on May 26, 2013, 20:57:
  • Has any console come back from the dead to become an "overwhelming success"? Where's the historical precedent for this?]
  • The PS3. Not only declared Dead on Arrival, but being clearly dead for two or three years after it's release. Nowadays, the PS3 sells very good and is responsible for making the entertainment division of Sony one of the few profitable divisions of this company. Overall, the PS3 is still a loss, considering it's very high dev and marketing costs.

13. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2013, 02:00 Prez

I just came here to 'LOL' at Micrsoft disabling XBone comments on its youtube channel. So, lol.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 20:57 jdreyer

Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 11:25:
    So based on those four completely non-technical facts of life, and four slightly technical & marketing bits I make my prediction that the Wii U will be an overwhelming success once the other consoles are released around Christmas.

Then you will be able to do all the bean counting you desire -- but those beans are the what, not the how.

I don't know what you're smoking, but I could use a little trip to dreamland. Send me some? Major issues:

• Why would anyone develop for the Wii U when they can get a 3 for 1 with x86 code: PS4, XB1, & PC?

• Has any console come back from the dead to become an "overwhelming success"? Where's the historical precedent for this?

• What "killer app" to be released this year could possibly be exclusive to the Wii U? Anyone making such an app would also release on 360 and PS3. Anyone developing for next gen won't want to be limited by the Wii U's measly 2 GB RAM.

• While I admire their attempt to think outside the box, that controller is horrible.

• Wii U may see a modest bump in light of MS placing all kinds of onerous limitations on the XB1. But their attempt to woo the core gamer was weak, and XB1 screwing the pooch doesn't change that. PS4 starts in the pole position from my view.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 13:08 Redmask

Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 11:25:
    Can't wow ya with numbers in my crystal ball -- I simply know a few simple truths (warning -- they aren't very technical):

1. Most people don't have a ton of money to spare.
    1. The Wii U will play any next gen games regardless of perceived "underwhelming specs". More importantly, it's simply not an issue -- just ask the Wii.
    2. The Wii U had a terrible launch due to branding and software, and will be "relaunched" during the time Xbox and PS are released.
    3. The Wii U will have a killer price point during their relaunch, and a surprise "killer app".

The Wii U is priced above what most people are prepared to pay and Nintendo can't afford to cut the price right now, it's already losing money on each unit sale. The specs are incredibly underwhelming and more importantly they are difficult for developers to deal with, many if not most next gen ports will not come to the Wii U without significant reduction in asset quality at the minimum. Given the PPC processor I doubt many will even bother considering x86/x64 will be encompassing three different platforms, leaving the Wii U the odd man out. I'm not confident rebranding is as simple as you think considering they've already peed in the pool and the other companies marketing departments will be running full tilt. Nintendo has also backed off mainstream shows where the press coverage is and uses Nintendo Direct instead which is fine for preaching to the converted but doesn't help them gain back anyone else.

Nintendo has their niche but the kind of success you're talking about? I don't see it based on the facts and evidence, seems like people are just making leaps of faith on their brand feelings. The tablet will not tap into the kind of soccer mom market that the Wiimote did, it's a known quantity and offers nothing new or interesting to the casual crowd.

I don't want to see Nintendo fail but the hubris of launching yet another underpowered console without a compelling library? Maybe they deserve to so they can learn an important lesson for the next round, assuming there is one.

10. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 12:36 swedishfriend

The WiiU is competing with PS3 and 360 and when they get lower prices to make more room for their new systems what will happen to the U? IMO the WiiU would have to be same price or lower otherwise why not go for a PS3 or 360 that both have a huge game library? Nintendo should be able to hit a much lower price than it currently stands at but I doubt that it will be 199 or 149 where its competition will be.  

9. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 11:50 wtf_man

Well... if it turns out that the Playstation Eye isn't optional... I may settle for a Wii U.

- Doesn't need an internet connection at all.
    - No Spycam Bullshit
    - No Social Bullshit
    - No Cloud Bullshit
    - Backwards Compatible (Not that big of a deal, but a plus)

PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U Comparison Chart

I'm really hoping those things are all optional on the PS4 (Except obviously no backwards compatibility... though you might be able to stream PS3 games via Gaikai)

Edit: Just to clarify, I do all my hardcore gaming on my PC anyway... so I don't really need a super console system. If the wife and some guests can enjoy a few games on the TV... great. That said, for myself, I'd prefer a system with more umph like a PS4... but there are definitely potential privacy and data-mining lines I won't cross... EVER.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2013, 12:24.

8. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 11:25 Axis

Can't wow ya with numbers in my crystal ball -- I simply know a few simple truths (warning -- they aren't very technical):

1. Most people don't have a ton of money to spare.
    2. Most people want to play their old games.
    3. Most people like fresh ways to play.
    4. Most people aren't buying these new-gen console till they are all out.

Now for some slightly technical & marketing bits (mix of fact and opinion):

1. The Wii U will play any next gen games regardless of perceived "underwhelming specs". More importantly, it's simply not an issue -- just ask the Wii.
    2. The Wii U had a terrible launch due to branding and software, and will be "relaunched" during the time Xbox and PS are released.
    3. The Wii U will have a killer price point during their relaunch, and a surprise "killer app".
    4. The only competition will be PS4 vs Xbone, leaving the Wii U to flourish in it's unique family friendly yet hardcore-capable way.

So based on those four completely non-technical facts of life, and four slightly technical & marketing bits I make my prediction that the Wii U will be an overwhelming success once the other consoles are released around Christmas.

Then you will be able to do all the bean counting you desire -- but those beans are the what, not the how.

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 11:17 nin

The entire thing has been a rather overwhelming affair for Microsoft, even causing Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb to take time off Twitter from all the anguish.

No! Not that!

Glad people are hammering him on it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 10:56 Verno

It's way too early in the game to make any predictions. Big N has been dealt a really shitty hand here though, one of its own making in many ways. To really double down on the Wii U they need to shift a lot of 3DS related resources and it remains to be seen if third parties can carry that platform alone, I hope so but it's been buoyed a lot by first party titles.

The Wii U hardware (its not horrible but man the CPU and memory are slooow) is pissing off developers and publishers who are tired of extra porting costs. This might leave them in a Gamecube situation although I would note even the Gamecube had something like 90 EA titles. I think the only big third party that is sticking with them so far is Ubisoft and it will be interesting to see if that continues when Ubisoft moves to their next engine in 2014.

I'm not sure there is still enough room in the market for 3 consoles and the Wii U might get nudged out due to its lack of competing online infrastructure and falling behind on multiplat titles. I love Nintendo games but I can get most of what I want from a 3DS, I don't think I will be doing multiple next gen consoles. I agree with the earlier price comment too, the Wii U is just plain too expensive for what you get and the confusing marketing has left consumers thinking it's some sort of silly addon for the Wii.

They should have gone with Wii 2 or something. It sucks because I love Nintendo, they are generally a company with pretty good ideas and they believe in giving people a complete gaming experience but they need to adapt with the times and have failed to do that in many ways. Every time I load up the eShop I just shake my head.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
    Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

5. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 10:44 Warskull

Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:22:
    Redmask wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:08:
    Axis wrote on May 26, 2013, 09:55:
    It's still too early to say "told ya so" with regards to how well the Wii U will fare, but we're getting closer...

Xbone has been nintendo's MVP thus far...

The Wii U was outsold by the Wii last month, yeah I would say it's 'still too far'. Predictions without figures are meaningless anyway. What year, how many sales, what profit level, etc. Anyone can say 'well this might happen..someday'.

Well most everyone was saying the Wii U is doomed (another thing 'anyone' can say) while I know better.

Come Christmas, you will know better too

Everyone should know better than saying Nintendo is doomed at this point. People have calling it over for Nintendo since the rise of the Playstation. The Wii and DS ended up exploding. People said the 3DS was dead 6 months after release, yet it is now on track to outsell the Wii.

The Wii U certainly has some formidable obstacles in its path, but saying anything other than "we'll see" with Nintendo at this point is silly. Although they really should have just named it the Wii 2. It's not too late to rebrand.

Microsoft on the other hand is in a scarier situation. The X360/PS4 are essentially the same console. Sure there are technical differences, but they tend to share a majority of their game library. The same is probably going to be true for the XB1/PS4, unless one of the two has some absolutely killer exclusives. The two are fighting over the exact same market share and either one can lose a large chunk of their share with a major mistake.

4. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 10:41 Redmask

Many of those people are citing detailed sales stats and that backs up their opinion for now. What is happening at Christmas? How many systems is it going to sell? How few are the opposition going to sell? What state will that leave Nintendos financials, are they going to remain unprofitable? You are not really saying anything. If you're going to lead with 'its too early to say i told ya so' you should probably say something concrete with actual figures otherwise people will just dismiss your vague predictions later on.

I don't think Nintendo is 'doomed' but I think the Wii U is a particularly troubled product due to its extremely underpowered hardware, awkward price point, lack of controller offering any interesting gimmick to mainstream consumers and the lack of compelling software. They will need to drop the system price by a third at the least to get going. With the 3DS all they needed was software, I don't see that as the case here.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2013, 10:47.

3. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 10:22 Axis

Redmask wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:08:
    It's still too early to say "told ya so" with regards to how well the Wii U will fare, but we're getting closer...

The Wii U was outsold by the Wii last month, yeah I would say it's 'still too far'. Predictions without figures are meaningless anyway. What year, how many sales, what profit level, etc. Anyone can say 'well this might happen..someday'.

Well most everyone was saying the Wii U is doomed (another thing 'anyone' can say) while I know better.

Come Christmas, you will know better too

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 10:08 Redmask

1. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 09:55 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo