Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Destiny Talk

IGN has a follow-up on the possibility that Bungie's Destiny is coming to the PC platform, though the indications are basically unchanged since the last time this question came up (for something new, here's a new Destiny trailer directed by Jon Favreau). In February Bungie stated "we would absolutely love to be on the PC," when asked about brining their first non-Halo game in years to other platforms, which was shortly followed by the discovery that the PC was at one point to be listed as one of the first-person shooter's targets. Stop the presses, nothing's changed in three months:

“We haven’t said yes, and we haven’t said no,” Bungie senior writer and head of community Eric Osborne told IGN. “The more platforms we take on, the more work it ultimately becomes, and what we don’t want is to compromise the core experience on any platforms. We have a lot of people who play on PCs. We have a lot of appetite to build that experience. We haven’t announced it yet, but we’re looking forward to talking more about that kind of stuff in the future.”

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 25, 2013, 09:44 Kawlisse

Kristian Joensen wrote on May 25, 2013, 08:18:
I don't care about this as it will have constant online DRM. It could have the best mechanics/gameplay, best graphics and best story in a game ever and I still wouldn't get it just for that reason.

I don't care about this either, but for other reasons, if it ever comes out for PC, the PC version is just an aftertought, thats the general moto with games nowadays, and it fuckng sucks. (sorry about the language)

Can't wait for star citizen a PC only game that will outshine anything next gen consoles can provide !

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 25, 2013, 08:18 Kristian Joensen

I don't care about this as it will have constant online DRM. It could have the best mechanics/gameplay, best graphics and best story in a game ever and I still wouldn't get it just for that reason.  

30. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 25, 2013, 05:09 Justin

I cant shoot a damn thing with the joypad. But completed far cry 3 on the ps3 the other day, thanks to the slight lock on effect when you target enemies. But sometimes its nice to veg out on the couch with a cup of tea in front of the tv instead of being tensed up in front of the computer.  

29. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 23:41 Jerykk

Smellfinger wrote on May 24, 2013, 17:52:
ItBurn wrote on May 24, 2013, 11:28:
I'm in the Halo sucks category.

If you think Halo sucks, I can only imagine what you consider a good single player FPS.

No One Lives Forever, FEAR, Bulletstorm, Bioshock, Far Cry, Crysis, Wolfenstein, Quake, Prey, Stalker, Shadow Warrior, Painkiller, Half-Life, Unreal, SiN, Dark Forces, Doom, Serious Sam, Deus Ex, Shogo... pretty much every shooter ever made has better SP than Halo. Though, I'm basing this on Halo 1 and 2. Halo 1's level design was downright awful. They literally copied and pasted the same sections over and over, to the point where you had no sense of direction. To remedy this, they put giant glowing arrows on the ground pointing you in the right direction. You know your level design sucks when you have to rely on giant glowing arrows. Halo 2 was slightly better but still only mediocre at best.

The only decent thing about Halo SP is the AI. That's it. Unfortunately, it's not nearly good enough to compensate for the rest of the SP's shortcomings.

28. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 19:36 Closed Betas

its designed for the console hardware and ported over... thus a port.... i mean seriously you believe what you type here?
Half the games don't even come with anti-aliasing these days

27. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 18:03 ItBurn

Smellfinger wrote on May 24, 2013, 17:52:

If you think Halo sucks, I can only imagine what you consider a good single player FPS.

What? There's tons of better single player shooters. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

26. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 17:52 Smellfinger

25. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 17:46 Agent.X7

tomhefley wrote on May 24, 2013, 14:38:
You answered your own question, "Yes, it's not as responsive as a keyboard / mouse combo"

I can't hit shit in console FPS games. I can barely hold my own in 3rd person single player games. Joysticks are just too inaccurate, which is why they build in auto-aim on every console shooter.

The one exception was Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I really liked the way you could use the stick for gross aim and then really fine tune it by tilting the Vita. I hope they let use the Vita like that one games for the PS4.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

24. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 15:52 eRe4s3r

If you want to see the singleplayer of a console shooter then that is where Let's play's are the best thing..... Heck, I watched Halo 3 ,p It was entertaining but I have no idea why it's such a huge hit. It is a mediocre shooter in every way, though the setting and story are neat.  

23. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 15:39 Darks

tomhefley wrote on May 24, 2013, 14:56:
First of all, already people within the gaming industry are no longer calling anything "PC Ported" in regards to the new consoles, the Xbox One and PS4 for the very simple fact, they are all PC architecture and nothing is being ported. Though, admittedly, that term may stick around for sometime. Xbox One's SDK has Windows 8 UI libs built in. This also might be true for the PS4. Microsoft needs the Xbox Ones momentum to help fuel the Windows 8 / Windows Phone push. Expect more games than ever before for your Windows 8 PC. With mobile devices chewing into console and desktop markets, console publishers need Windows 8 revenue stream more than ever before.

Apparently you did not read the interview with Harrison the other day when asked about supporting the pc and games. his comments were in regard to some stupid Solitary game. So yea, they are thinking about pc gaming alright.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

22. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 15:37 Darks

1badmf wrote on May 24, 2013, 14:00:
Darks wrote on May 24, 2013, 13:29:
Bungie sold their soul long ago when they compromised themselves to M$ and the Xbox only exclusive. I see no reason for them to make any changes now when it comes to putting this on the PC. In truth, I'm really surprised this doesn't have Xbox None written all over it.

No pc version = no sale for me.

uh... you know they don't work for MS anymore right? that's why this is also coming out on ps4. as for why, well, pc would be another market they can sell to. more money is good, and aside from OS issues, the hardware between consoles and pcs have become virtually identical, so it shouldn't be that difficult to make a pc port.

Yes, I know that. My point is, they sold the pc out once before what makes you think they wont again?

21. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 14:56 tomhefley

First of all, already people within the gaming industry are no longer calling anything "PC Ported" in regards to the new consoles, the Xbox One and PS4 for the very simple fact, they are all PC architecture and nothing is being ported. Though, admittedly, that term may stick around for sometime. Xbox One's SDK has Windows 8 UI libs built in. This also might be true for the PS4. Microsoft needs the Xbox Ones momentum to help fuel the Windows 8 / Windows Phone push. Expect more games than ever before for your Windows 8 PC. With mobile devices chewing into console and desktop markets, console publishers need Windows 8 revenue stream more than ever before.  

20. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 14:52 LittleMe

Gadzooks wrote on May 24, 2013, 13:14:
For now, there really isnt a reason to put this on PC. The number of copies they would sell on PC just wouldnt justify the costs to port it well, and a bad port would be a stain on their companies portfolio. Better to just focus on maximizing console sales at the expense of the minority.

Well the old equation doesn't apply nearly as much for this new generation of consoles. They are much closer to PC architecture this time around so porting them is looking to be a lot faster and cheaper. They may even develop on PC (with a gamepad UI in mind) and then port to each console. Either way, I predict we are going to get a lot more console ports this time around but good ports, not bad ones.

The old crazy proprietary architectures for the PS2/PS3/X360 proved much more costly to developers than predicted. So this time around they far more standardized.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

19. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 14:38 tomhefley

You answered your own question, "Yes, it's not as responsive as a keyboard / mouse combo"  

18. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 14:34 Parias

Fair points, thanks. I personally disagree about Halo not being fun, but that's also probably because I'm just a sucker for anything in a space / sci-fi setting and is purely my own POV. I can understand your viewpoint though and where you're coming from about the problem with consoles in general.  

17. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 14:27 Linksil

Parias- For me personally I know that I have a insanely(see impossible) time aiming with the controller in fps, sometimes it leads over into 3rd person too. I'm sure if I spent a few dozen-100's of hours working on it I can retrain my brain. But I'd rather not for such a limited experience. A lot of it comes to how consoles will throw you out of scope or shake the screen all over the place when your hit and compensating for that is crazy vs the years of keyboard and mouse. For a lot of us the frustration is just not worth it.

The reason for the sales of FPS on console is not because of the game, it's because they focus and market it the most on one system. Also kids are more likely to get a 300$ console vs a $1k+ computer. They made a choice and forced the market onto the controllers and don't want to change it. Look at all the tournaments for COD. They market all these prizes and such and then Oppps xbox only!

Personally I don't see why I can't just plug my keyboard and mouse into the console and enjoy it the way I want to. Oh wait both Sony and MS said they can't do that because it would give a huge advantage to K/M players.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

16. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 14:00 1badmf

Darks wrote on May 24, 2013, 13:29:
Bungie sold their soul long ago when they compromised themselves to M$ and the Xbox only exclusive. I see no reason for them to make any changes now when it comes to putting this on the PC. In truth, I'm really surprised this doesn't have Xbox None written all over it.

uh... you know they don't work for MS anymore right? that's why this is also coming out on ps4. as for why, well, pc would be another market they can sell to. more money is good, and aside from OS issues, the hardware between consoles and pcs have become virtually identical, so it shouldn't be that difficult to make a pc port.

15. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 13:55 ItBurn

Parias wrote on May 24, 2013, 13:45:
I'm confused - what's so hard about playing FPS games on a console controller? Yes, it's not as responsive as a keyboard / mouse combo, but the console games are generally built around the controller concept so it balances out. Declaring them unplayable sounds like a bit of an exaggeration.

Don't get me wrong - I'm also a dominant PC gamer first and foremost (and I lean heavily into the sim market no less - I've got enough licensed DCS games and joysticks on my shelf to prove it) and I'd love to see games like Destiny come out on PC. But I also don't mind booting up my Xbox or PS3 every now and then for a fun romp through the singleplayer campaigns of Halo or the Metal Gear games just because I enjoy the production values, sci-fi storylines and co-op play (I don't really bother with the competitive multiplayer). A lot of console FPS games are hardly revolutionary, but games like Halo sell massive numbers for a good reason - I don't understand where the hate is coming from?

(I'm not trolling or trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just genuinely unclear on the line of logic)

Playing console games with a gamepad works, because like you said, they were designed around it, but that doesn't make them fun. Why would you go back to a gamepad when a mouse is SO much better. I'm not going to go into details, but it's infinitely better and allows for better gameplay and better features. So, we vote with our wallets. As for Halo, it's huge like that because it was the first console FPS which actually worked and had a huge audience. I mean, I played it, it's as generic as they go... I guess I got bored of shooters like these on PC and was already playing more advanced experiences at the time.

14. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 13:45 Parias

I'm confused - what's so hard about playing FPS games on a console controller? Yes, it's not as responsive as a keyboard / mouse combo, but the console games are generally built around the controller concept so it balances out. Declaring them unplayable sounds like a bit of an exaggeration.

Don't get me wrong - I'm also a dominant PC gamer first and foremost (and I lean heavily into the sim market no less - I've got enough licensed DCS games and joysticks on my shelf to prove it) and I'd love to see games like Destiny come out on PC. But I also don't mind booting up my Xbox or PS3 every now and then for a fun romp through the singleplayer campaigns of Halo or the Metal Gear games just because I enjoy the production values, sci-fi storylines and co-op play (I don't really bother with the competitive multiplayer). A lot of console FPS games are hardly revolutionary, but games like Halo sell massive numbers for a good reason - I don't understand where the hate is coming from?

(I'm not trolling or trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just genuinely unclear on the line of logic)

13. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 13:29 Darks

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo