Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Visual DRM May 25, 2013, 03:43 Fantaz

Tim Collins wrote on May 24, 2013, 11:03:
Visual DRM blows my mind, bad bad PR....

yes, looks like they were watching too many sci-fi movies...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 21:48 Prez

I don't care what I have to do or who gets to spy on me, I need my Halo TV show dammit!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

50. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 20:19 ASeven

wtf_man wrote on May 24, 2013, 19:49:
ASeven wrote on May 24, 2013, 15:12:
The plot thickens. Suddenly EA backing off the online pass makes perfect sense now. It's even more shocking that apparently both publishers and console makers planned together for this one.

Here are more details:

UPDATED: Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales at retail

and

Policy shows concerted effort by MS to destroy used games market

This is going to bite them so hard. If there is one line console gamers will not cross no matter what is used games, console gamers have grown dependent on the used games market.

Fucking hell, publishers and MS sure are taking absolute control of gamers to horrible new levels.

49. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 19:52 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2013, 12:41:
As for that visual DRM, that sounds like it violates the warrantless search clause of the USA constitution. Although, maybe they can bypass that with their EULA. Sounds like a Southpark episode in the making.

A camera in every living room where the NSA and other assorted agencies can see and hear everything you do? The intel community just jizzed all over itself.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

48. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 19:49 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on May 24, 2013, 15:12:
The plot thickens. Suddenly EA backing off the online pass makes perfect sense now. It's even more shocking that apparently both publishers and console makers planned together for this one.

Here are more details:

UPDATED: Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales at retail

and

Policy shows concerted effort by MS to destroy used games market

47. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 19:36 Julio

So if the Kinect shows only 1 person watching a rental/PPV, do I get a 80% discount? Didn't think so...  

46. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 18:33 JediPunisher

InBlack wrote on May 24, 2013, 09:34:
If you dont buy the Xbox ONE will the thought police come a-nockin at your door?

No, but the real police just might.
You'd better behave... The feds are just a subpoena away from having a live feed into your living room. I'm not joking... it WILL happen.

45. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 16:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Pigeon wrote on May 24, 2013, 12:01:
Are you trying to say 1/7th of the world's population is an unrealistic sales target? Maybe they're just so poorly made you'll have to buy a new one every 6 months.
Yes, I'd say it's unrealistic. That's the type of things that make investors flee because those at the top are out of touch with ground level consumers.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

44. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 16:49 Flatline

On a different note, the new Xbox is interetsting in that it's supposedly supporting Azure in a big way.

That makes sense: Server 2012 is mostly about breaking down barriers between cloud computing and the local network. It's a paradigm Microsoft is pushing hard.

It's actually pretty smart to pull the console into Azure. It's a shot across Amazon Web Service's bows, and the technology surely needs to mature to compete with the Mothership. What better way to do that than to tie in a fast moving, iterative market that will help offset the cost of maturing cloud computing?

I don't see how it's going to help graphically, but I can see a cloud computing solution doing some pretty interesting stuff: Say, in the next elder scrolls you have 100% permanent everything. Everything you ever do in the game is recorded and the effects can be revisited. Scorch marks on cave walls from fireballs will always be there. NPCs can remember what conversation topics you discussed with them and react accordingly. Big Data where speed of access isn't vital.

Or how about a Call of Duty game that monitors SP behavior and multiplayer behavior and uses all that deep data to improve enemy AI?

There's a lot of possibility there. It's a shame MS is cocking the console up so hard though.

43. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 16:46 Redmask

Microsoft applies for TV Achievement/Ad patent.

The system can make sure the user is simply in the room while it plays, or it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement.

So much for this stuff just being science fiction and the hardware can't do it yet boohoo etc.

42. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 16:18 Optional Nickname!

Fion wrote on May 24, 2013, 12:45:
Oh Microsoft I can't thank you enough. Every day I get on bluesnews and laugh a little harder thanks to your shenanigans! I'll really miss it when this epic fail in progress comes to a satisfyingly funny conclusion.

Why should this anti-consumer anti-gamer trend conclude? Never misunderestimate the power of aggressive, willful stupidity. It excites many hand-wringing feces hoarders in offices all across the world!

See below and let the laughs keep coming at a record pace!

41. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 15:59 jdreyer

Kawlisse wrote on May 24, 2013, 13:58:
All this crap about next gen consoles, I do hope they fail !

Honestly, I don't want them to fail. I want them to make a consumer-focused product instead of a profit-focused product. Do right by consumers and you'll succeed. Focus on profit and treat your consumers poorly, and we'll go elsewhere. The problem is that it puts the entire game industry in a bad light.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

40. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 15:48 swedishfriend

so, Wii + PS3 + 360 = close to 300 million. Therefore not a crazy idea to sell 400 million to 1 billion of Xbox one over 10 years? That guy explaining his numbers doesn't make it seem any less crazy IMO. 75 million xbox 360s currently (about 1/3 are re-buys according to the article). Seems like they would be lucky to sell to 50 million users considering they have the negative buzz this time around.  

39. Re: Visual DRM May 24, 2013, 15:23 eRe4s3r

Defeated by a smart phone (or anything else that can play a video) taped in front of the kinect camera.. Just saying.... nobody made a DRM method yet that can't be defeated ;p  

38. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 15:20 JeffD

As per the visual DRM, I think microsoft pretty much answered it in the update. The patent is old and was done in the Kinect 1 era. It also probably has no CURRENT plans to be introduced.

Keep in mind a patent does not mean an intent to produce. It just means you are laying claim to the technology first. So if down the road someone does implement it, microsoft can say "hey we got that patent, gimmie money!"

37. Re: Microsoft aims for 1 billion lifetime sales.. May 24, 2013, 15:13 Mr. Tact

Lifetime of what? Because in my mind, Xbox One is already dead.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 15:12 ASeven

35. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 15:12 DangerDog

HorrorScope wrote on May 24, 2013, 14:39:
I guess wall street is looking for a trillion:
$34.19 +0.03&#8206; (0.10%&#8206;)

I'm thinking of writing congress about this eye. They aren't going to be happy finding out someone other than themselves is watching us, not happy at all.

How do you know the government isn't in on it or would at the very least be able to tap into the data being sent from kinect to microsoft. they can already do this with skype as far as I understand.

34. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 14:39 HorrorScope

I guess wall street is looking for a trillion:
$34.19 +0.03&#8206; (0.10%&#8206;)

I'm thinking of writing congress about this eye. They aren't going to be happy finding out someone other than themselves is watching us, not happy at all.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2013, 14:44.

33. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 14:37 NegaDeath

Kinect 2 can already track the number of people in a room and listen to our heartbeats. Collegehumors spoof of Kinect might be surprisingly predictive for a future version.  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo