Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 25, 2013, 23:20 Ant

InBlack wrote on May 24, 2013, 09:43:
It pisses me off that with every new architecture change we have to get a new mainboard, because of the fucking socket change. Fucking Intel trolls...
Welcome to technologies. Intel isn't the only one! I still use old stuff (e.g., CRT TVs, VCRs for connections, copper landlines, analog bone conduction hearing aid, etc.) since I hate upgrading so often! I will upgrade/replace when ready!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 25, 2013, 23:18 Ant

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 24, 2013, 21:31:
Julio wrote on May 24, 2013, 11:03:
It's an insult to Vista to lump it in with Windows 8. Vista>Windows 8...

I'm no fan of vanilla Windows 8 but Windows 8 with Classic Shell beats the pants off Vista and even Windows 7 in many ways. That Start Screen is madness though. At least the 8.1 update gives the choices back. It may have been an arrogant move but they are at least owning up to it in some form. Finally.
MS confirmed W8.1 will have Start Menu? Where and when?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 25, 2013, 11:12 Prez

I wonder what it will drop to after the XBone has been out for a while!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 21:31 Parallax Abstraction

I'm no fan of vanilla Windows 8 but Windows 8 with Classic Shell beats the pants off Vista and even Windows 7 in many ways. That Start Screen is madness though. At least the 8.1 update gives the choices back. It may have been an arrogant move but they are at least owning up to it in some form. Finally.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 15:33 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2013, 12:43:
Dude, three letters: A.M.D.
Bingo. The mobo I've got from MSI supports(so did the ASUS board I looked at) the current generation and the last two revisions of CPU's, really now...if AMD can do it, so can Intel.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 14:00 nin

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2013, 12:45:

Well, that might be going a bit far. Vista was a bloated, buggy piece of crap. But at least Vista was DESIGNED FOR THE GODDAMNED DESKTOP.

True!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 12:45 jdreyer

Well, that might be going a bit far. Vista was a bloated, buggy piece of crap. But at least Vista was DESIGNED FOR THE GODDAMNED DESKTOP.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 12:43 jdreyer

It pisses me off that with every new architecture change we have to get a new mainboard, because of the fucking socket change. Fucking Intel trolls...

Dude, three letters: A.M.D.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 11:17 Ozmodan

Microsoft's arrogance is back in full force. Designing a touch screen interface and forcing computers that don't have one to use it is ludicrous.

The Xbox One is even more ridiculous, every time I read a new article on it, it says buy the Sony PS4, the new Xbox is a complete loser.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 11:03 Julio

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 11:03 Killer Kane

3D printed guns to shoot you...
3D printed tracheal implants to save your ass.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 10:50 MajorD

Yes, that has become something that has really pissed me off over the years. I used to be very selective on the MBs and CPUs I chose so I only had to upgrade my system a couple few years down the road with an upgraded next gen CPU and/or video card, but Intel caught onto that too quickly and those days are over unfortunately. It was a quick upgrade too; now you have to pull your system apart so you can upgrade the MB to support the new architecture. Damn it InBlack, now you got me fired up.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 10:07 wtf_man

Given the length of time between tick-tock to the next tick... it's not that bad, especially when CPU improvements have mostly flattened over the years.

I went from LGA775 Conroe, to LGA775 Wolfdale a couple of years later (Changed motherboard anyway because of new features), to LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge several years later.

Since Haswell is the next tick... I'm confident that my Ivy Bridge will last at least until the next tick after Haswell. So, that will be several years again.

While there are some performance per clock improvements in each release, the main focus has power consumption reduction with only slightly better performance. So, for a desktop gaming rig, you don't have to upgrade on every release, and skipping 2-3 releases will make you need a new motherboard anyway.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 10:04 Burrito of Peace

That's funny considering that Intel is getting out of desktop board manufacturing.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 09:43 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo