Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Atari Fire Sale

Develop reports by way of WSJ.com that Atari U.S. is planning to auction off some assets in July in an attempt to raise an oddly specific sum of $22.2 million as part of the publisher's struggles under the bankruptcy reorganization they filed for in January. This follows apparently unsuccessful efforts to sell the company in its entirety, and is said to hold the best prospects for getting some return for Atari's investors. Word is this plan still requires the approval of the bankruptcy court, and if approved they will be putting up assets with set minimum bids, including the RollerCoaster Tycoon IP for $3.5 million, the Test Drive IP for $1.5 million, the Total Annihilation franchise for $250,000, and more. The Atari brand itself will also be offered, starting at $15 million, not that this iconic name has prevented previous entities using it from also going under.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 24, 2013, 00:00 Jerykk

Wonder if anyone will buy the Blood IP. Devolver Digital seems like the most likely candidate, considering that they bought Shadow Warrior and the rights to the pre-DNF Duke.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 22:13 DangerDog

Prez wrote on May 23, 2013, 20:31:
Total Annihilation for $250,000? I smell a TA kickstarter project in our future quite soon!

While I enjoy TA as much as the next guy it would be pretty disappointing to see money go to waste like that.

Just pick a different name but keep the gameplay the same, Planetary Annihilation is just fine since it ups the scale of the battles for example.

34. Re: Ha Ha! May 23, 2013, 21:40 nin

HorrorScope wrote on May 23, 2013, 20:31:
Atomic wrote on May 23, 2013, 11:33:
HorrorScope, do you use LastPass? Just curious, because I've noticed all your posts have the same subject. That was happening to me with LastPass (it saved that field in the blues news profile) until I manually fixed it. Hope you don't mind me pointing that out; I'm just coming from the position that I wish someone had told me at the time.

Sorry for the off topic reply, everyone.

Thanks for looking out

I guess that would also explain why, when certain people post here, the subject line is always their email address?

Always thought that was a board problem...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 20:31 Prez

Total Annihilation for $250,000? I smell a TA kickstarter project in our future quite soon!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Ha Ha! May 23, 2013, 20:31 HorrorScope

HorrorScope, do you use LastPass? Just curious, because I've noticed all your posts have the same subject. That was happening to me with LastPass (it saved that field in the blues news profile) until I manually fixed it. Hope you don't mind me pointing that out; I'm just coming from the position that I wish someone had told me at the time.

Thanks for looking out

31. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 19:29 Ozmodan

Company would never have been in trouble if they did not have a bunch of asshats running it. The alienated just about everyone in the past few years. Anyone still with stock in this company has bats in the belfrey.  

30. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 17:19 RollinThundr

BobBob wrote on May 23, 2013, 14:24:
DangerDog wrote on May 23, 2013, 13:42:
BobBob wrote on May 23, 2013, 13:27:
Anything sad about Atari makes me feel sad. The gamer in me really treasures Atari and what they have done for all of us. Get well Atari!

Only so far as the golden era of video games is concerned, even then they were acting like a bunch of assholes.

I am not familiar with the politics. I just have fond memories of going into the arcade and playing Tempest (my favorite game of all time) for hours. A simple and cute era.

To be honest Atari Games was the Coin Op division and a completely separate entity. I miss that golden age of uprights and pinball.

29. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 16:57 fujiJuice

Orogogus wrote on May 23, 2013, 13:06:
It's not trustworthy when anyone can buy it for $250K.

If someone doesn't realize, for example, that Rocksteady's not working on the next Batman game then that's one thing, but I think 16 years is probably long enough for even the most oblivious gamer to realize that something might be fishy.

I guess that is a good point. Their audience are the kind of people that already know, or would look into the exchange of hands.

28. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 14:24 BobBob

DangerDog wrote on May 23, 2013, 13:42:
Anything sad about Atari makes me feel sad. The gamer in me really treasures Atari and what they have done for all of us. Get well Atari!

Only so far as the golden era of video games is concerned, even then they were acting like a bunch of assholes.

I am not familiar with the politics. I just have fond memories of going into the arcade and playing Tempest (my favorite game of all time) for hours. A simple and cute era.

27. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:48 Cutter

None of their IPs is worth any money. Certainly not the good will for the prices they're asking. Far easier to do an original IP that's an homage.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:42 DangerDog

Only so far as the golden era of video games is concerned, even then they were acting like a bunch of assholes. If it weren't for the way they treated their employees we probably wouldn't have Activision today.

25. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:42 walrus1

Please let someone good pick up Test Drive! i'd love to see TDU3 return to the goodness that was TDU.  

24. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:27 BobBob

23. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:06 Orogogus

It's not trustworthy when anyone can buy it for $250K.

If someone doesn't realize, for example, that Rocksteady's not working on the next Batman game then that's one thing, but I think 16 years is probably long enough for even the most oblivious gamer to realize that something might be fishy.

22. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:04 Creston

Techie714 © wrote on May 23, 2013, 11:50:
Doesn't Atari own the D&D IP or do they license from Wizards of the coast? If so I know that one would sell for several million.

It was licensed. WotC owns D&D.

Creston

21. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 13:04 jacobvandy

fujiJuice wrote on May 23, 2013, 12:52:
Orogogus wrote on May 23, 2013, 12:32:
As far as storyline goes, Total Annihilation is possibly the most generic game ever made since the 2600 era. I've said this about other brands before (Homeworld comes to mind), but I really, really don't see any benefit to obtaining the IP. Countless examples have shown that you can't copyright gameplay, and there can't possibly be anyone attached to the CORE vs. ARM storyline, at least not enough to wish that a company had spent $250K for the privilege of slapping the brand onto a game.

It isn't the story though. It is the name itself, it clicks with people, triggers their "Hey, I know that name" response, which I would imagine leads to a lot more sales. Be it nostalgia for previous games, or just a recognizable name that gives people a little more trust.

Uh, not when anyone can own it for as little as $250k, lol... UberEnt has already succeeded in capitalizing on that fanbase anyway, with Planetary Annihilation. Anyone who doesn't know about that game, wasn't a very big fan of TA/SupCom to begin with.

20. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 12:52 fujiJuice

Orogogus wrote on May 23, 2013, 12:32:
As far as storyline goes, Total Annihilation is possibly the most generic game ever made since the 2600 era. I've said this about other brands before (Homeworld comes to mind), but I really, really don't see any benefit to obtaining the IP. Countless examples have shown that you can't copyright gameplay, and there can't possibly be anyone attached to the CORE vs. ARM storyline, at least not enough to wish that a company had spent $250K for the privilege of slapping the brand onto a game.

It isn't the story though. It is the name itself, it clicks with people, triggers their "Hey, I know that name" response, which I would imagine leads to a lot more sales. Be it nostalgia for previous games, or just a recognizable name that gives people a little more trust.

19. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 12:32 Orogogus

18. Re: More Big Picture Details May 23, 2013, 11:51 Techie714 ©

I so love Lastpass!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

17. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 11:50 Techie714 ©

Doesn't Atari own the D&D IP or do they license from Wizards of the coast? If so I know that one would sell for several million.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo