Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue

Shacknews has a list of 15 exclusives coming to Xbox One over the first year of Microsoft's upcoming new console. They also have word from Matt Booty, general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms, that as far as those platforms go, the PC will not be receiving any more attention from them than it's been getting lately, which isn't much. He tried to explain to them they would offer Windows 8 gamers a range of experiences "from very, very casual games, like our very much improved and reimagined Solitaire, all the way to graphically complicated games like The Harvest." They called him on this, noting that as a port of a Windows Phone game, The Harvest was not exactly AAA material, and when they asked if Microsoft's first-party games for Windows 8 were lower-end, he didn't deny it: "We're talking about console games, but there could be some franchises that also end up with a PC game," Booty told them. "When I think about more connected experiences across those platforms, it's things that show up within that family of devices where we've got Xbox Live, like Windows Phone and Windows 8," and "not what you might consider a more traditional desktop PC game."

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 24, 2013, 00:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Edit: wow... got my articles mixed up.. disregard.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2013, 08:46.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 21:48 Sepharo

Closed Betas wrote on May 23, 2013, 21:30:
Changing the development structure made MS trabiillions to continue float, (making cash of re-education of new uneeded change in technologies, going to VbNet,and now this new win8 crap)

What, you were a big fan of VB6 or something?

61. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 21:30 Closed Betas

US turning to communism, more money more money...
Corruptulism is all it really is...
Favs For Slaves, MS leaving the way.. why support PC, cant sell consoles and bindware that way....

Changing the development structure made MS trabiillions to continue float, (making cash of re-education of new uneeded change in technologies, going to VbNet,and now this new win8 crap)

bah 10 page story could be written on this... i just no buy their crap.. hopefully the smart will catch on and do the same..

60. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 20:24 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on May 23, 2013, 06:59:
Microsoft is completely out of touch with the gaming community. Just look at the xbox design. Just a string of horrible choices. It is almost like they are in the take it or leave it stance. I am sticking with Windows 7 for now, nothing in 8 that I need.
The entire release of win 8 and MS forcing all metro apps to be sold through their store is a take it or leave it move by MS (take it or don't use windows at all).
Verno wrote on May 23, 2013, 09:14:
"reimagined Solitaire" is either the master stroke troll or they are seriously that deluded over there.
The entire release of win 8 shows they are seriously that deluded.
Chromius wrote on May 23, 2013, 13:06:
Thank goodness!

Win 7 x64 is my last Microsoft product.

I will never pay 1 cent for anything made by Microsoft or its subsidiaries.

F them.
Good luck with that. Even if you avoid all use of windows and office, most of the businesses you give money to use part of that money to go towards MS, and most government agencies your tax dollars go towards use some of that money to go towards MS.

This comment was edited on May 23, 2013, 20:30.

59. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 13:36 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on May 23, 2013, 13:00:
No and yes.. I guess? I want 1 Linux Distro that is the Main distro. No other should be supported (officially) by Steam or game developers. Sounds like a dick move, but that is what is needed to make Linux gaming mainstream. If you can tell someone "Just install Ubuntu 13 and press on default install when it asks you" and that then runs ALL Linux Games in existence, has a PERFECT GUI, has 100% installer support, has a simple way for game installs to register to a non-voodoo location, a simple way to interface with standard libraries for sound/network/graphics/peripherals. Then you have something that will become BIG. And not a 1% figure at the back end of the steam stats.

All this choice is good for specialized things and I love it even for my own uses (Custom NAS with embedded Unix) but for gaming there must be 1 distro to rule them All. Linux needs a Distro that is like Windows. Not in looks or functions necessarily, but in dominance of the platform.

So yes, I want a Linux Distro that is like Windows in a sense, but I don't want all linux distros to be like that. I only want 1 of them that dominates, that is the DEFAULT distro for gaming basically.

And for that, the Linux kernel development needs to be bitch slapped into a committee. No change in the Kernel is allowed to break compatibility with ANY game that runs on the "game distro". Only then is nix gaming going to be awesome. Because you can buy games in the knowledge that a random kernel update won't break it. (I have updated Windows from XP through to 7 and my games from XP times still work, and the nix distro for gaming needs to offer that much stability..)

I don't want to sound that negative by the way, I just don't see how there is ever going to be an linux based gaming OS without some major changes to how the Distro's and the kernel devs interact.

You actually are pretty close to that with iOS. You have some backwards compatibility issues (not nearly as much as earlier iOS versions) but in the end everything you want is right there. Android is probably a closer representation of what it would look like in a world of non-standardized hardware, but again, there's no reason why someone couldn't do it so long as they're willing to kill several of the sacred cows of Linux.

58. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 13:32 BobBob

The Linux community needs to develop an OSI type model that everyone agrees to. If this happens there will be a standardized approach that should be fairly distro neutral, default based, and universally compatible. I imagine that Valve is pushing this with Steam support for Linux applications. This is purely conjecture on my part.  

57. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 13:29 Flatline

Trashy wrote on May 22, 2013, 23:56:
Flatline wrote on May 22, 2013, 23:42:
Everything I'm hearing about Linux is that it's busy ripping off everything that made Windows a pain in the ass and importing none of the good shit.

Well it sounds like you don't even know what Linux is.

Linux isn't one OS, hell it's not even an OS by itself. It's a collection of software with a kernel.. There are hundreds of distributions as heavy or light weight as you want.. Not one company or entity owns it.. If you don't like how one distribution does things you can switch to another. Google made their own OS (Android) around the Linux Kernel.

This does complicate gaming a bit though...

Oh christ I know what Linux is. And one of it's components for the end-user is a GUI, and from what I've read (which isn't much, but occasionally I see a tech article or slashdot article come up about it) is how several of the popular GUIs out there are moving towards windows paradigms and adopting it's worst GUI features.

Now I know the proper response here is either "write your own you stupid shitface" or "Super obscure not really useful GUI X blows anything else out of the water" or "CLI 4EVER!", but those aren't valid options for 99% of the population.

The two most successful flavors of *nix right now in the main stream are MacOS and Android, and both of those bury Linux under a mountain of GUI and are probably the *least* *nix like. Yeah you can drop down to CLI with MacOS, but most people never will.

Wanna know why Linux gaming is a dead end? Nobody wants to fuck with it. Period. It's why consoles sell hundreds of millions of sets of hardware. It's why iOS is so popular and fans of the iphone are loyal. They just want it to fucking work.

56. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 13:06 Chromius

Thank goodness!

Win 7 x64 is my last Microsoft product.

I will never pay 1 cent for anything made by Microsoft or its subsidiaries.

F them.

55. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 13:00 eRe4s3r

No and yes.. I guess? I want 1 Linux Distro that is the Main distro. No other should be supported (officially) by Steam or game developers. Sounds like a dick move, but that is what is needed to make Linux gaming mainstream. If you can tell someone "Just install Ubuntu 13 and press on default install when it asks you" and that then runs ALL Linux Games in existence, has a PERFECT GUI, has 100% installer support, has a simple way for game installs to register to a non-voodoo location, a simple way to interface with standard libraries for sound/network/graphics/peripherals. Then you have something that will become BIG. And not a 1% figure at the back end of the steam stats.

All this choice is good for specialized things and I love it even for my own uses (Custom NAS with embedded Unix) but for gaming there must be 1 distro to rule them All. Linux needs a Distro that is like Windows. Not in looks or functions necessarily, but in dominance of the platform.

So yes, I want a Linux Distro that is like Windows in a sense, but I don't want all linux distros to be like that. I only want 1 of them that dominates, that is the DEFAULT distro for gaming basically.

And for that, the Linux kernel development needs to be bitch slapped into a committee. No change in the Kernel is allowed to break compatibility with ANY game that runs on the "game distro". Only then is nix gaming going to be awesome. Because you can buy games in the knowledge that a random kernel update won't break it. (I have updated Windows from XP through to 7 and my games from XP times still work, and the nix distro for gaming needs to offer that much stability..)

I don't want to sound that negative by the way, I just don't see how there is ever going to be an linux based gaming OS without some major changes to how the Distro's and the kernel devs interact.

This comment was edited on May 23, 2013, 13:14.

54. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 12:46 Iurand

I'm totaly not surprised.  

53. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 12:32 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on May 23, 2013, 09:14:
Somehow I missed that quote from the guy about Solitaire, holy shit I would have slapped that dude in the face. "reimagined Solitaire" is either the master stroke troll or they are seriously that deluded over there.
Don't you know? All the hardcorez gamerz are on the xXxboxXx, PCs are for facebook games and solitaire.

It looks like EA and Microshaft hired the PR dudes from the same school.

Steam: SpectralMeat

52. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 11:58 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:38:
It'll be the day Linux get's their act together [...]

"Linux gets their act together"? Linux is not a thinking entity, Linux is a kernel. It is the basis for many flavours of this operating system. Apart from the Kernel developers there is no "one big Linux committee that decides everything", such a thing just doesn't exist.
See, that is the great thing about Linux. There are so many flavours, so much choice. You can basically chose the distribution that best fits your need and if one isn't available you can build the system from scratch.

Also: http://xkcd.com/927/

eRe4s3r wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:38:
[...]
and releases a standardized consumer OS where a developer can expect that when someone has Ubuntu 13 everything made for Ubuntu 13 will work within Ubuntu 13 14 15 16 17 and 18.

Basically, Linux needs to do what Windows does (Yes.. even with Windows 8).. you will never hear a Linux developer agree to this (for now) though. ^^

Also if you are developer, you should be able to say "Ubuntu 13 support" and if someone installed Ubuntu 13, he should not have ANY option on install or while running the OS to somehow change his install in such a way that it is Ubuntu 13 but missing some vital element. Basically, Ubuntu 13 needs the equivalent of standard api's , and games should use standardized api's.

So basically you want Linux to be Windows just with less choice? Really? :/

51. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 11:38 Kawlisse

Trashy wrote on May 22, 2013, 23:56:
Flatline wrote on May 22, 2013, 23:42:
Everything I'm hearing about Linux is that it's busy ripping off everything that made Windows a pain in the ass and importing none of the good shit.

Well it sounds like you don't even know what Linux is.

Linux isn't one OS, hell it's not even an OS by itself. It's a collection of software with a kernel.. There are hundreds of distributions as heavy or light weight as you want.. Not one company or entity owns it.. If you don't like how one distribution does things you can switch to another. Google made their own OS (Android) around the Linux Kernel.

This does complicate gaming a bit though...

This is the biggest problem of Linux, no Standardization at all ! A game running super well in Red Hat does'nt mean it'll be peachy in Unbuntu! same shit goes for drivers support why most hardware manufacturer does'nt give a crap about drivers for linux, too many damn different Distribution !

If there was a Standardization in the linux distribution, that would hurt MS alot ! (and of course I intend here to be bashed by LINUX advocate ! Not another Standardization post!)

50. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 09:14 Verno

Somehow I missed that quote from the guy about Solitaire, holy shit I would have slapped that dude in the face. "reimagined Solitaire" is either the master stroke troll or they are seriously that deluded over there.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

49. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 08:38 eRe4s3r

It'll be the day Linux get's their act together and releases a standardized consumer OS where a developer can expect that when someone has Ubuntu 13 everything made for Ubuntu 13 will work within Ubuntu 13 14 15 16 17 and 18.

Basically, Linux needs to do what Windows does (Yes.. even with Windows 8).. you will never hear a Linux developer agree to this (for now) though. ^^

Also if you are developer, you should be able to say "Ubuntu 13 support" and if someone installed Ubuntu 13, he should not have ANY option on install or while running the OS to somehow change his install in such a way that it is Ubuntu 13 but missing some vital element. Basically, Ubuntu 13 needs the equivalent of standard api's , and games should use standardized api's.

48. Re: More Big Picture Details May 23, 2013, 08:35 RollinThundr

HorrorScope wrote on May 22, 2013, 20:21:
Flatline wrote on May 22, 2013, 20:15:
I gotta start charging a nickle for every time someone predicts MS is going down the toilet. I wouldn't have to work any more.

You are right, but it was unthinkable not too long ago. Now you can see a way it could happen and if they don't hit some homers it's going to. They aren't too big to fail.

Nothing is too big to fail. Shame the US government doesn't get that. I actually agree though, completely abandoning PC gaming is only going to hurt MS. I think it's fairly safe to call Win8 on a desktop a failure already, and who in their right mind wants to buy a console that you have to pay extra to even play a legally bought used game? Sorry MS my 360 hasn't been even powered on in 2+ years, you can keep it, I'll stick with Sony for another round if the DRM isn't horrid, and my PC thanks.

47. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 08:34 Verno

Sempai wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:20:
Someone tell me when, and if Linux will become a valid platform for games so we can finally rid ourselves of this asinine company?

Valve is certainly making a go of it but they need people to adopt it. It will be one of those things that creeps up, it won't happen overnight.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

46. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 08:28 KS

I switched from Mac to PC in the mid 90s because it had 10x the games. Both surfed with Netscape. Both had Office. Games was the differentiator. Only the most popular games got ported to Mac, plus a teeny handful of Mac native games.

Given almost all PC games are now console games ported to PC (dragging horrible console design with them -- simple-mindedness, lack of varied powers and complexity, emphasis on button mashing and asinine "special move" key combos) is there any reason to stay with Windows any more?

I can surf on Android. Office-equivalent is available on Android. Now I am just waiting for big-name games. Unfortunately they are still for consoles, and this doesn't get around the console nature of everything produced...yet.

45. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 08:20 Sempai

Someone tell me when, and if Linux will become a valid platform for games so we can finally rid ourselves of this asinine company?  

44. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 23, 2013, 07:59 ultrabrite

I've been wondering for a while,
why don't they make windows free and make money from the shitload of apps & games everybody would buy from their app market ?

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo