Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

15 Unreal Years

The Epic Games website reminds us today is the 15th anniversary of the release of Unreal, celebrating the occasion with a sale on Steam, though they seem to have overlooked the link to that (here it is, they offer 75% off on a five game bundle). Here's word on the anniversary:

It was 15 years ago today that Unreal started appearing on store shelves. Who could forget walking out of Vortex Rikers and seeing Na Pali, and the dreaded Skaarj for the first time.

How many hours did you spend exploring that amazing world? If you’d like to go back to experience it all again, we’re having a Steam sale to help you on your journey!

The Unreal Deal pack is on sale this week for an amazing 75% off. The Deal Pack includes, Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition, Unreal 2: The Awakening, Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor’s Choice Edition and Unreal Tournament 3 Black. That’s five games for $10.oo!

Tell us your favorite moments from the original Unreal below in the comments. We’ll chose two random winners this Friday to receive a Steam code for an Unreal Engine game and a vintage Unreal poster!

Don’t forget, you can get the original Unreal Main Theme on the Epic Games 20th Anniversary Original Soundtrack, HERE.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 18:13 djinn

IceManHG wrote on May 22, 2013, 21:26:
15 years already? Time flies!

I remember playing Unreal 1 on my Pentium 133 with a 3dfx 1 card. My favorite moment would have to be seeing the waterfall after getting out of Vortez Rikers in Unreal 1 and CTF Face in Unreal Tournament.

The waterfall was amazing. Back in the day simple things turned into some sort of "wonder", but for good reason. As a Quake guy, Unreal Tournament was very, very good. Can I move on in life please?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 13:21 BobBob

http://www.lamerkatz.com/stories/q3_vs_ut.shtml  

22. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 13:14 Creston

The original Unreal Tournament was so effing awesome, it was incredible. Imo it shat all over the boring rocket-jump shit that was Quake3, but I understand that players who wanted a quicker paced game preferred Q3.

I played soooooooooooooo much UT.

It's been all downhill downhill downhill fall-off-a-cliff for Epic since then.

Creston

21. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 11:36 MDB

So so tempted at $10, but I kind of don't want to just on principle as I already own every single Unreal title except UT3, each purchased at MSR. Just not a fan of the company Epic has become (and rather embittered about some of the things they did to get there) and don't want to give them more of my money.

UT3 was pretty unfairly maligned though. IMO the most solid game in the UT franchise, it's just that both players and the industry have outgrown this kind of thing.

20. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 11:33 sauron

nin wrote on May 22, 2013, 20:27:
What was the last good epic pc release? UT 2004?

Need to reinstall UT 99...

Yep, 2004 was great but I played more of the original UT - especially CTF. In fact, I also played the heck out of the Unreal team DM in botmatch - those bots were the first ones I ever saw that had decent AI. Good times all around.

Sadly, like every other PC gamer, I haven't touched an Epic release since 2004.

Kittens!

19. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 05:51 InBlack

netnerd85 wrote on May 23, 2013, 03:53:
InBlack wrote:
? Q3A was the better dueling game, UT had a number of game modes that were fun though.
In your opinion.

Nope. Fact

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 05:32 Gas Bandit

UT2004 was close to being the perfect multiplayer FPS.

It's just a pity it's been followed by 9 years of utter neglect from Epic of the PC as a platform. UT3 was a disappointing bastard riddled with consolitis.

17. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 04:09 OldTimber

Don't care, was a shitty game then and still a shitty game now. Sorry mistake as I started to remember it a bit more as I typed, it was a shitty slideshow then and a bad game now.  

16. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 03:53 netnerd85

InBlack wrote:
? Q3A was the better dueling game, UT had a number of game modes that were fun though.
In your opinion.

15. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 03:33 InBlack

Q3A was the better dueling game, UT had a number of game modes that were fun though.  

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 02:12 Fantaz

those Digital Extremes guys did a lot of work on the original Unreal, so Epic Games shouldn't take all the credit...

Blackhawk wrote on May 22, 2013, 23:55:
I played Unreal on my old Intel Celery 333Mhz/Voodoo 3 system. It was the first game I ever played online co-op on. I still love it - I just replayed it a couple of years ago. It's still a beautiful game.

yeah, for Unreal i didn't think the singleplayer was that great at the time but the multiplayer was awesome! a lot of other good multiplayer games came out after around that time also. i still preferred QuakeWorld.

13. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 23, 2013, 01:27 CannibalBob

These were a great series of games, though Unreal 2 was crap IMO. I played the original Unreal late in the game, after UT99 but enjoyed it immensely (I was a Quake guy). UT99 was where I spent most of my time... Loved that game - really liked the Razorback due to the havoc it causes! I also really liked UT3... I felt very "at home" in it with a PC, and there's no question about the quality of the engine.  

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

12. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 23:55 Blackhawk

I played Unreal on my old Intel Celery 333Mhz/Voodoo 3 system. It was the first game I ever played online co-op on. I still love it - I just replayed it a couple of years ago. It's still a beautiful game.  

11. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 22:29 Icewind

Good memories. I bought a brand new PC when Unreal came out. P2-450 with a Riva TNT. Loved that game so much. Had a super long singleplayer and some extremely challenging fights. Can't say the same for Gears of War.  

10. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 22:27 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2013, 21:23:
edaciousx wrote on May 22, 2013, 20:19:
no one cares epic. you guys disregarded the pc community since.

Exactly? What have they done for PC games in the last 15 years? Nothing.

Yeah because no one uses the Unreal engines for PC games.

9. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 22:05 Acleacius

Same here played Unreal over Quake. Epic is still screwing us over, the only way to get the package discount is to buy all the games. I'm only interested in Unreal Gold and UT 99, so I can wait.

Even with him gone, I'm not sure Epic can/will ever recover from cliffyb's ego anymore than id can from carmak's ego.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 21:37 Morgan19

Hmm, that $10 is tempting... Would the Steam version of UT2004 have an in-game MP browser, or do you have to use something like Gamespy? (I forget how it was done originally.)  

7. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 21:26 IceManHG

15 years already? Time flies!

I remember playing Unreal 1 on my Pentium 133 with a 3dfx 1 card. My favorite moment would have to be seeing the waterfall after getting out of Vortez Rikers in Unreal 1 and CTF Face in Unreal Tournament.

6. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 21:23 Cutter

edaciousx wrote on May 22, 2013, 20:19:
no one cares epic. you guys disregarded the pc community since.

Exactly? What have they done for PC games in the last 15 years? Nothing.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: 15 Unreal Years May 22, 2013, 21:21 siapnar

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2013, 20:48:
I really enjoyed UT3 Black, in addition to all the others. Over the years I've liked the series much more so than Quake, for example. Not sure why people hate on UT3.
I also played this over Quake.

UT3 was fun, but the original UT was the bomb. I even remember playing the demo every day until the game came out.

I have projectile dysfunction.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo