Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine

A tweet from Rob Hodson has word from the EA Sports community manager that as of FIFA 14, the PC edition of the association football/soccer simulation will once again be using an older game engine than the console installments in the series after finally using the same engine for the past two games. Even though the next generation consoles are closer than ever to high-end PC specs, word is the PC version will be hamstrung with the last generation engine rather than the EA SPORTS IGNITE engine they've announced. Here's word: "Clarification for the PC related questions earlier - EA SPORTS IGNITE will power FIFA 14 on Xbox One and PS4, not PC http://bit.ly/192nrNz." Thanks Strategy Informer.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 23, 2013, 09:06 jabba

I knew it.
Here we go again, like last gen...
What a bunch of stupid lazy a@@ m0therfs. I didn't buy 13 (still to expensive)for PC and I WILL ABSOLUTELY NEVER BUY this castrated POS-to-be FIFA 14 PC.

Ignite engine - I feel ignited inside. I'm melting ffs.

Ergo - no NBA LIVE 14 for PC too...

The only hope for a good sports game on PC in the next few years seems to be NBA 2K, but they don't patch PC edition
Or PES.

Good point there with COD:Ghosts - who knows...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 18:05 HorrorScope

EA. Going for the three-peat.  

18. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 16:03 eRe4s3r

Mhh, good point. I have an SSD and forgot that the fast load is because of that. Yeah.. if you have an HDD or BF3 not on your SSD the "quickness" of it all is a lot less quick..

Although for my PC the (initial) load time is less than 10 seconds if it's much longer than a minute you will probably get some serious rage attacks...

But while i was a skeptic, the speed improvements (for *everything*) from using an SSD are absolutely IMMENSE. Everyone should have one ( I have a 830 Samsung 512GB). Although I don't have a lot of games on my SSD.. only BF3 actually ;p

17. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 15:53 DangerDog

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:28:
Battlefield 3 you can literally have constantly "open" if you don't close the battle-log tab, that reduces clicks to a game to 1 or at best to 2 (if you bookmark the server-browser)

Perhaps, but mostly only if you have an SSD because constantly exiting the game to reload the whole thing + map data is a tad slow otherwise.

16. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 15:28 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on May 22, 2013, 13:30:
subx wrote on May 22, 2013, 12:11:
I'd much rather they spent the tiny effort they put into a new version of FIFA on the UI rather than a new engine anyway. It seems to be made up of odds and ends from various development cycles, which vaguely hang together in and uneasy hotchpotch, while bugs and issues are allowed to persist for years. It's so blindingly bad I'm sure it must be deliberate.

That's always bugged me about FIFA. To load the game, I do:
1) Double-click on Icon
2) Close stupid Origin window.
3) Load FIFA13 from the launcher application.
4) Select my language every time.
5) Press Start on my controller.
6) Press Start on my controller.
7) Choose profile (scroll to my desired one, the only one, it doesn't remember and defaults to "Create New").
8) Confirm that I want this profile, overwriting previous settings.
9) Confirm that I know what the "saving" icon means and that I shouldn't switch off my computer.
10) Main menu.

Ten actions. Why do I choose the language every time? The launcher has the selector to (and has the decency to use your previous setting), why not use this? Why make me press start to skip the intro video and then press start to choose controller? Combine them. Why can't I set a default profile, and set it to load automatically when I start the game? Especially when there is only 1 profile. Why am I warned about over-writing settings when the program has only just been launched? Is this even needed when changing profile in game - I'd guess FIFA attracts more dumb players (not including me, honest) than CoD but even they must know ... that's kind of the point of profiles! And doesn't everyone know what a disc icon means, and doesn't everyone know that you don't switch off a PC quickly anyway?

This is how it should be, giving them a break and allowing the launcher (which seems lazy but hey).
1) Double-click on the icon (Origin *doesn't* open)
2) Load FIFA13 from the launcher.
3) Press Start (might be needed to tell it what controller to use)
4) Main Menu

That's 4 steps, just 3 actions. I'm not sure #3 is needed and #2 ideally wouldn't be (everything in the launcher could be in-game).

It's a trivial issue but also one that would be trivial to fix. When I'm a world famous footballer and they want to feature me on the box, I'll have sorting this shit out as part of my contract.

This is actually why I am not against browser integration for games like online shooters (BF3 / Battlelog) .. BF3 has one of the simplest and fastest ways to get into a game of any PC game on the market
1) Click on Link to battle-log (I have a text-less normal sized Icon on my bookmark bar in chrome that you would think belongs to the style I am using) and browser is always open anyway...
2) Click on MP browser and select your server of choice (this can be skipped if you go directly to /bf3/servers)
3) Click play (or double click on the server) and really play (Origin auto-starts even if it doesn't run!)

FUN 4 - you can even switch to another tab and read or do something else while it loads to the game (it maximizes only once the game is literally on the squad select)

It takes more clicks to get in the main menu of many games than it takes to literally start playing BF3. And yes, usually I am not so hot for browser stuff but the server browser in the browser works extremely well nowadays, i can quickly see my favorite servers, where people I have friended play, and what the news are. All without stupid manual logins *cough* Diablo 3, which doesn't remember the FREAKING PASSWORD, which for me means having to fuck around with lastpass EVERY SINGLE TIME, seeing how secure a Blizzard account has to be, my password can't even be physically typed in on my keyboard....... bah.

I know EA is not loved here, but battlelog is great, I was against it at first but I grew to love it. It is INFINITELY faster than MANUALLY starting steam (which takes forever), starting BFBC2, waiting for the game to load, clicking Multiplayer, waiting for server browser to populate, pressing join, wait, wait.....

Battlefield 3 you can literally have constantly "open" if you don't close the battle-log tab, that reduces clicks to a game to 1 or at best to 2 (if you bookmark the server-browser)

This comment was edited on May 22, 2013, 15:36.

15. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 14:51 Creston

Smells like console-exclusiveness money to me.

Creston

14. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 14:28 DangerDog

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:14:
Maybe new consoles are stronger than what the average fifa buyer has? I am guessing more than 95% of the PC Fifa customers have PC's that are not new. Or older than 3 years....

If you look at how many people have intel GPU's or cheap AMD/NVIDIA crap it's not surprising...

I wouldn't doubt it, this probably sells better in European countries like Greece and Spain, they're not exactly setting the world on fire economically.

It's the counter strike dilemma, release a new graphic engine for the game and risk losing a ton of customers. I almost expect the next Call of Duty on the PC to be a port of the xbox 360 / ps3 version and not the xbox1 / ps4 variety.

13. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 13:30 Quboid

subx wrote on May 22, 2013, 12:11:
I'd much rather they spent the tiny effort they put into a new version of FIFA on the UI rather than a new engine anyway. It seems to be made up of odds and ends from various development cycles, which vaguely hang together in and uneasy hotchpotch, while bugs and issues are allowed to persist for years. It's so blindingly bad I'm sure it must be deliberate.

That's always bugged me about FIFA. To load the game, I do:
1) Double-click on Icon
2) Close stupid Origin window.
3) Load FIFA13 from the launcher application.
4) Select my language every time.
5) Press Start on my controller.
6) Press Start on my controller.
7) Choose profile (scroll to my desired one, the only one, it doesn't remember and defaults to "Create New").
8) Confirm that I want this profile, overwriting previous settings.
9) Confirm that I know what the "saving" icon means and that I shouldn't switch off my computer.
10) Main menu.

Ten actions. Why do I choose the language every time? The launcher has the selector to (and has the decency to use your previous setting), why not use this? Why make me press start to skip the intro video and then press start to choose controller? Combine them. Why can't I set a default profile, and set it to load automatically when I start the game? Especially when there is only 1 profile. Why am I warned about over-writing settings when the program has only just been launched? Is this even needed when changing profile in game - I'd guess FIFA attracts more dumb players (not including me, honest) than CoD but even they must know ... that's kind of the point of profiles! And doesn't everyone know what a disc icon means, and doesn't everyone know that you don't switch off a PC quickly anyway?

This is how it should be, giving them a break and allowing the launcher (which seems lazy but hey).
1) Double-click on the icon (Origin *doesn't* open)
2) Load FIFA13 from the launcher.
3) Press Start (might be needed to tell it what controller to use)
4) Main Menu

That's 4 steps, just 3 actions. I'm not sure #3 is needed and #2 ideally wouldn't be (everything in the launcher could be in-game).

It's a trivial issue but also one that would be trivial to fix. When I'm a world famous footballer and they want to feature me on the box, I'll have sorting this shit out as part of my contract.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2013, 13:37.

- Quboid

12. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 13:07 nyr27

Typical EA Sports for PC. They haven't honored us with a Madden game since '08 and have the license so no one else can produce an official American football game. No NHL since '09. The only reason they still make a pc soccer game is the worldwide popularity I guess.

I wish 2K could make football and hockey games. NBA 2K13 is excellent!

11. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 12:11 subx

10. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 12:04 nin

Reactor wrote on May 22, 2013, 12:00:
I missed this before, but EA SPORTS IGNITE is the dumbest engine name evar.

Might it have been the same person who came up with "XBOX ONE"?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 12:00 Reactor

I missed this before, but EA SPORTS IGNITE is the dumbest engine name evar.  

8. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:58 ASeven

Ah well, EA being EA, no surprises here.  

7. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:56 Quboid

Bastards. Both the PS4 and the Xbox1 have more similar architectures to PCs than previous generation consoles, I think. Converting it should be easier. I'm not sure what CPU/GPU the new consoles are equivalent to.

There could be a problem with CPU speed. Adjustable graphics settings (of which FIFA13 only has a few, but enough to make a difference) can alleviate GPU problems but there is less that can be done about CPU problems if they feel that there aren't enough PS4/Xbox1 standard processors around to make that jump up. I'd have thought they could offer enough CPU related graphic options to cover it, or they could tune many of the mechanisms so the gameplay remains the same but maybe some animations aren't quite as good.

That's not to say there's nothing they can do. This is the sort of decision that I dislike, but I'm not ready to condemn EA too much because I don't know why. They're not doing it out of spite.

Maybe it's a case of workload, they're flat out working on having next-gen console versions ready for their launch and there isn't enough time; they'll work on unifying the code bases for FIFA15. Maybe. If so, they should really expand to be able to cover it - although "throw more money at it" is always an easier argument to make when you're not writing the cheques.

- Quboid

6. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:26 eRe4s3r

Apparently there is a reason EA has when it comes to FIFA. What it is I do not know, but it's not surprising.

There is always PES

5. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:19 necrosis

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:14:
Maybe new consoles are stronger than what the average fifa buyer has? I am guessing more than 95% of the PC Fifa customers have PC's that are not new. Or older than 3 years....

If you look at how many people have intel GPU's or cheap AMD/NVIDIA crap it's not surprising...
And that is a reason to hold back? Games have graphical settings for a reason.

4. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:14 eRe4s3r

3. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:14 Julio

At least everyone knows in advance...but it's not going to help sales. Waiting for the next Fifa World Cup game instead on PS4.  

2. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:05 InBlack

I have no fucking idea what the fuck they are on about? Im guessing that the belief is ATM that the consoles are more powerful than anything we may have under the hood in our PCs? Considering the released console specs, can I have some of what they are smoking???  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 09:01 siapnar

What promising information from one of our favourite developers!  

I have projectile dysfunction.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo