Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

94. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2013, 07:10 Julio

Redmask wrote on May 22, 2013, 18:30:
I'll say he's wrong. There is a reason they have started backpedaling in advance of E3, they know they fucked up and have to rethink their PR strategy which consisted of pissing on people and calling it rain.

But here's the spin. It's a nice warm rain, which is very cleansing. Which is wonderful just like Xflop One!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

93. Re: More Big Picture Details May 23, 2013, 04:00 InBlack

HorrorScope wrote on May 22, 2013, 18:28:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 22, 2013, 13:26:
I think you guys are making way too many conclusions on details that are just pieced together from bits and pieces of info.
Wait until the damn thing is on shelves and judge it then.

I won't say you are wrong. But at best they are guilty of a total marketing failure yesterday and following up so far. The market is speaking and it is laughing it's ass off. So perhaps in time, in the end, they'll rework it so it's all ok. But they still failed yesterday. Millionaires spent millions and just failed fast.

As much as I would like to agree with you that is just wrong. All the major mainstream sites have been giving super duper nice press for the ONE, the privacy concerns, DRM schemes and whatnot are glossed over or not even mentioned. Just because a small group of well informed, passionate gamers (Bluesnews) has universally condemned this devil's contraption doesnt remotely mean that everyone has figured out what MS is up to. Shame really, but just goes to show that no one gives a fuck about what gamers want. Most people are sheep who dont read the fine print. This thing will sell like hotcakes.

I have a nifty blue line!

92. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2013, 03:52 InBlack

Wallshadows wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:14:
Sometimes I like to take a bath in marmalade while I rub it all over myself as I cry.

I have a nifty blue line!

91. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 23:47 Creston

fujiJuice wrote on May 22, 2013, 22:37:
As much of a disaster as the Xbox One is looking to be, I am not too confident in the PS4 either. Sony has a remarkable way of changing things after release for the worse, whether it be software changes or hardware changes. Believe me, I hope they don't, but my briefly available 60gb WiFi and backwards compatible PS3, along with my PSP3000 with digital movies and games locked to that device, are a constant reminder.

I'm not terribly confident that Sony won't still go full retard (Should that perhaps be changed to "Go One?"), but their next console is focused on games, games, games. It does all the TV stuff too, of course, but it wasn't their focus, they mentioned it briefly, and the hardware is built to do one thing well, which is games. At the same time, they are openly embracing indies, while Microsoft is all but telling indies to "please fuck off and die already."

So with what information we have now, if you like consoles, or have a console, for games, then you need to go Sony.

Creston

90. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 22:37 fujiJuice

As much of a disaster as the Xbox One is looking to be, I am not too confident in the PS4 either. Sony has a remarkable way of changing things after release for the worse, whether it be software changes or hardware changes. Believe me, I hope they don't, but my briefly available 60gb WiFi and backwards compatible PS3, along with my PSP3000 with digital movies and games locked to that device, are a constant reminder.  

89. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 22:15 Frags4Fun

So many reasons to avoid the Xbox one. Why would anyone buy this PoS? People won't even be able to borrow games from friends without paying Microshaft? That's what it sounds like to me. I guess rentals are out too. Way to fail M$!  

88. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 20:57 fujiJuice

SpectralMeat wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:13:
Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:10:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:02:
Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 13:59:
Really? That's surprising. Microsoft seems to think everyone around the worlds wants absolute HEAPS of shit in their new console.

Creston
Some responses on twitter land actually suggest just that.

Our favorite celebrity CliffyB:
https://twitter.com/hansel_mau/status/337262108624420864

Trust that fucking moron to gobble up Microsoft's shit by the shovel. Of course, Microsoft basically gave him his E-list celebrity, so perhaps he feels loyalty to them.

Creston
He seem to be going back and forth with his comments.
In one he rips the xbox like comparing it to the WiiU in other comments he says shit like what I've linked there.
He made his money with Microsoft he can afford to clown around I guess.

He didn't seem to mind being in the Xbox Anthem video that kicked off the reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbTzFEEfiQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=8s

87. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 20:05 wtf_man

Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:48:
Even if you have it switched to offline mode?

Yup, it's always in offline mode except for when my games stop launching... then I have to turn on the NIC and put steam in in online mode... let it do what it wants for a few minutes, put it back in offline mode, turn off the NIC.

Then I can launch my Steam games for another month or so fully offline.

Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2013, 18:53:
Steam's offline mode has to check in every few weeks, or at least that's the consensus since Valve hasn't been very open about it.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828937979095845728/
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2287540
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/291-steam/63506584

It might be a month, it might be 2 weeks.

Yeah... I have the same issue as those links say.
It makes me want to crack my older games that I know won't ever get a new patch.

86. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 19:57 HorrorScope

Lot of answers... lots of vagueness, some contradiction between MS officials:

MS Answers Various Questions

85. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 19:11 1badmf

yeah it's time to jump ship, much as i love halo. pc for life.  

84. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 18:58 KS

Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 13:31:
Did they actually confirm the amount (if any) that a person have to pay for a second hand game if he/she wants to activate it?

Phil Harrison confirmed that the second user simply pays full price.

Creston

Anyone wanna bet Microsoft and the game producer take all of the "full" resale price, and that the original buyer gets a $5 store-only credit? Which can't buy anyhing but already-existing bits in a database?

83. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 18:53 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:16:
Steam has some pretty significant differences with XBox 1.
  • Steam will let you play offline, indefinitely. Xbox will not.

• Yes, your Steam games are tied to your account, which sucks, but since that game likely cost you $5 or $10, do you really care that much? Xbox games take a long time to come down in price, and they never see prices as low as Steam. Example: BL2 was $12 this past weekend on Steam. That was released 6 months ago, and made many GotY honors. XBox version still $40

• Steam games can be played at full resolution. You get to choose hardware, settings, etc. Xbox games are limited to whatever the devs decide3.

• Some nitpicks:

Steam's offline mode has to check in every few weeks, or at least that's the consensus since Valve hasn't been very open about it.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828937979095845728/
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2287540
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/291-steam/63506584

It might be a month, it might be 2 weeks. Valve might have changed it without notice. And some people claim to have had computers offline for more than a month without loss of functionality. But there still seems to be general agreement that your certificate or whatever expires after 2-4 weeks, and then you have to log in again to play anything.

Also, the console versions of Borderlands 2 seem to be $30 at Amazon and Gamestop, not $40.

82. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 18:36 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:16:

Steam has some pretty significant differences with XBox 1.
  • Steam will let you play offline, indefinitely. Xbox will not.

• Yes, your Steam games are tied to your account, which sucks, but since that game likely cost you $5 or $10, do you really care that much? Xbox games take a long time to come down in price, and they never see prices as low as Steam. Example: BL2 was $12 this past weekend on Steam. That was released 6 months ago, and made many GotY honors. XBox version still $40

• Steam games can be played at full resolution. You get to choose hardware, settings, etc. Xbox games are limited to whatever the devs decide3.

• Steam you can download it all to your tb's of storage. MS has all the limitations at full price.... and you still have to go to the store to get it. It's like Hill Billy Digital Downloading.

81. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 18:35 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:13:
    Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:02:
    The cable companies have already begun grumbling about this, so yeah, that'll be quite an interesting battle to see.

I didn't look into specifics for it, but the NFL deal strikes me as curious as well. DirecTV pays an awful lot of money for Sunday Ticket exclusivity. If suddenly the Orthbox can start showing NFL games, I imagine DirecTV is going to start hammering on the Ginger Moron's door with a fucking SLEW of lawyers in tow.

You still need DirecTV for it to work. You basically plug your output from the cable box/ONT/whatever into your Xbox, it will have both HDMI in and outputs. It's basically like a glorified GoogleTV with some shitty voice controls. Apparently it has no actual DVR capability which is annoying considering Microsoft owns Media Center. The only actual content they are offering is some dumb live action Halo series.

I don't think the cable companies are going to like this very much though as the next step from a box that sits in the middle is a box that tries to replace theirs. A lot of them are heavily into on-demand services now as well and I can see them making life for MS difficult since they offer the same things on Live.

My guess is the no-dvr, only a pass-through are the reasons Cable co's won't give a shit either way. It doesn't really threaten them. Now I have two devices to get my content to my screen. I think MS failed, it should have been three devices, to match their awesome 3 os system. 3 os's, beat that... anyone!

80. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 18:31 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:00:
    I bet you most people that wanted to buy the new console have no clue what DRM is or how that will affect them.

Well if they didn't.... the do now. Because face it everyone is social, ask MS and well the social networks are a buzz. My wife in 24 short hours has a doctorate now in DRM theory and realities.

79. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 18:30 Redmask

I'll say he's wrong. There is a reason they have started backpedaling in advance of E3, they know they fucked up and have to rethink their PR strategy which consisted of pissing on people and calling it rain.  

78. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 18:28 HorrorScope

I think you guys are making way too many conclusions on details that are just pieced together from bits and pieces of info.
    Wait until the damn thing is on shelves and judge it then.

I won't say you are wrong. But at best they are guilty of a total marketing failure yesterday and following up so far. The market is speaking and it is laughing it's ass off. So perhaps in time, in the end, they'll rework it so it's all ok. But they still failed yesterday. Millionaires spent millions and just failed fast.

77. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 17:52 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 16:49:
    Yosemite Sam wrote on May 22, 2013, 16:06:
    Heh XBOX reveal in a minute forty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Hahahahaha that is fucking fantastic.

To sum it up

Xbox
    TV
    Sports
    Call of Duty

I imagine Ballmer was screaming these four points over the PA system at Redmond the entire day before the reveal. "REMEMBER GUYS! XBOX! TV! SPORTS! CALL OF DUTY!"

Creston
    ROFL!

Steam: SpectralMeat

76. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 17:16 Cutter

Thief confirmed for Xbox One.

Shit confirmed for Shitbox One.

Fixed.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

75. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 17:12 Prez

Thief confirmed for Xbox One

Is that what the epic delay has been about?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo