Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I missed a call yesterday from the optician saying my new glasses are ready, so I didn't learn this was the case until after they closed. This has me a little crazy that I could be rid of my scratched-up old pair already, so I can't wait to head over today and pick up the new pair. They've been a problem for quite some time now with no such sense of urgency, but now that I'm this close (*holds fingers really close together*) to a solution, I no longer have any patience for this situation.

Glassy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Rocket Pets.
Astral Alliance.
Story: Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor.
Science: Trust your memory? Maybe you shouldn't. Thanks Boing Boing.
Images: Photos of Tornado Damage in Moore, Oklahoma. Thanks nin.
Media: YouTube Through History.
Crazy Drunk Guy Charges an Elephant. Darwin thwarted. Thanks Mark.
"Surgeon Simulator" Opening A Beer On His Day Off.
Auction: "Rare" Harry Potter Book Scores at Auction. Still well preserved from 1997!
Follow-Up: The Wolverine - Official Trailer #2. Thanks reddit.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2013, 14:52 Creston

Verno wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:38:
Drunk guy charging an elephant is simultaneously hilarious and awful.

I was saddened to see the elephant run away. I would have enjoyed seeing him trample the shit out of the moron.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2013, 08:38 Verno

Drunk guy charging an elephant is simultaneously hilarious and awful.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 23:59 Creston

nin wrote on May 22, 2013, 18:11:
It did the same to me...though I kept hoping the cameraman might put the camera down AND HELP.

They never do, for some weird reason. Maybe because the camera costs 7K and comes out of their paycheck or something?

Creston

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 18:53 Redmask

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2013, 18:45:
Try thinking outside the box for once. Domes are far more aesthetically pleasing, far cheaper and easier to build and maintain, and hold many advantages that standard dwellings do not. Your options are keep building the same stuff to get destroyed repeatedly or housing that people can't afford when far cheaper alternatives already exist? You're the one being ridiculous here.

You're the one stuck on a particular idea and are interjecting personal preferences into a tragedy. Outside of the box is what happens to you when an EF5 tornado comes into contact with your geodesic dome, just like any other home. I'm all for building realistic alternatives when and where it makes sense and is affordable to do so. That isn't the case here, plain and simple, the idea wouldn't work, wouldn't protect anyone and isn't feasible.

The actual 'out of the box' solution that makes the most sense would be traditional storm shelters which are proven to be very effective but people won't build them unless mandated because like geodesic domes, they cost money that they can't afford. Getting the state government to subsidize that makes a lot more sense and would get more traction, good luck selling people on domes.

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 18:45 Cutter

Redmask wrote on May 22, 2013, 18:21:
There are much more promising deep foundation structures but the prohibitive factor is always cost and implementation which are practically insurmountable.

Try thinking outside the box for once. Domes are far more aesthetically pleasing, far cheaper and easier to build and maintain, and hold many advantages that standard dwellings do not. Your options are keep building the same stuff to get destroyed repeatedly or housing that people can't afford when far cheaper alternatives already exist? You're the one being ridiculous here.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 18:21 Redmask

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2013, 17:13:
I don't know of any that have been put to the tornado test but more than one have survived the hurricane test, that much I know. And if you're doing lightweight materials at least you can strike your home before the event hits and thus, save it. More solid materials? Depends on a lot of factors really. So no, there's nothing ridiculous about it.

A tornados rotational forces will destroy it, let alone the debris. Geodesic domes are built to withstand more traditional wind forces in storm and monsoon conditions. So yes it's pretty ridiculous, not to mention how they look, the cost and the fact that pretty much no one is realistically going to build a home out of a 40x40 dome.

There are much more promising deep foundation structures but the prohibitive factor is always cost and implementation which are practically insurmountable.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 18:11 nin

Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 16:02:
nin wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:01:
This will make you feel ever so sightly better...

Okay, that just flat-out made me cry.

Creston

It did the same to me...though I kept hoping the cameraman might put the camera down AND HELP.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 17:13 Cutter

Redmask wrote on May 22, 2013, 16:17:
A dwelling sized geodesic dome would be obliterated by the debris, if not ripped apart by the tornado itself. The idea is humorous but it would be totally ineffective, not to mention a ridiculous waste of money.

I don't know of any that have been put to the tornado test but more than one have survived the hurricane test, that much I know. And if you're doing lightweight materials at least you can strike your home before the event hits and thus, save it. More solid materials? Depends on a lot of factors really. So no, there's nothing ridiculous about it. Plonking down the same old boxes over and over and over again only to be destroyed is what's ridiculous. But hey, if you like footing the bill for it as a taxpayer that's your perogrative though I'm sure most of your fellow taxpayers would disagree.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 16:17 Redmask

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:24:
Uh, they have never built them to withstand an EF5 tornado...

Geodisic domes do, that's why I pointed it out yesterday. They survive hurricanes too. No flat sides means nothing for the wind to catch. So in those zones that style of housing would be infinitely wiser to build. Same as having stilt houses for people who live in flood prone areas. That would all make sense though.

A dwelling sized geodesic dome would be obliterated by the debris, if not ripped apart by the tornado itself. The idea is humorous but it would be totally ineffective, not to mention a ridiculous waste of money.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 16:02 Creston

nin wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:01:

Okay, that just flat-out made me cry.

Creston

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 16:00 Creston

sauron wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:05:
The ones of the medical center that was hit really shocked me. The walls are concrete, but the tornado blew big sharp pieces of metal and wood deep into them. I guess 200mph winds will do that. I dread to think what would happen to a living person outside in that.

This is why they tell you to never, EVER stay near an outside wall when a tornado or hurricane is coming. Because that debris will blow clear through the wall and impale you.

Being caught outside in a tornado like that means you just get beaten to death with debris. The tornado itself really doesn't kill you (though it could pick you up and toss you a few hundred yards, which in itself isn't healthy...) It's the swirling debris field that kills people caught outside in them.

Creston

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 15:58 Creston

Geodisic domes do, that's why I pointed it out yesterday. They survive hurricanes too. No flat sides means nothing for the wind to catch. So in those zones that style of housing would be infinitely wiser to build. Same as having stilt houses for people who live in flood prone areas. That would all make sense though.

A hurricane is straight-line winds, which aren't comparable to a tornado's rotational strength. I'm pretty sure an EF4 or EF5 would tear a geodesic dome apart too. (Depending on the material, obviously.) Might be interesting to see Mythbusters test that.

And in large suburban areas, obviously no developer is going to build domes, as they take up more space, which means he can squeeze fewer houses into the lots...

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 15:52 Mr. Tact

Geodisic domes do, that's why I pointed it out yesterday. They survive hurricanes too.
You'd have to mandate all structures be that way, because the geodesic domes would not stand up to 200+ mph debris. Not to mention clearing all the trees, bushes, mailboxes, etc...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 15:46 Cutter

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 15:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Well Blue, make sure you check the lenses carefully. Back two years ago I got a new pair, and ended up having to take them back in half a dozen times because the company that did the polishing scratched the fsk out of them.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 15:05 sauron

Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:17:
Photos of Tornado Damage in Moore, Oklahoma. Thanks nin.

Sad and sick. I noticed most of it looks like new construction. They just don't build em as strong as they used to.

Good look building something that will withstand an EF5... Unless it's made out of alloyed steel that's sunk about 30 feet into the ground, it's going to get obliterated.

But yeah, the photos are terrible. Saw one today of a lady hugging the body of her dead doggie they'd dug up out of the rubble, and that really fucking tore at me.

Creston

The ones of the medical center that was hit really shocked me. The walls are concrete, but the tornado blew big sharp pieces of metal and wood deep into them. I guess 200mph winds will do that. I dread to think what would happen to a living person outside in that.

Kittens!

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 15:01 nin

Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:55:

Sad and sick. I noticed most of it looks like new construction. They just don't build em as strong as they used to.

Good look building something that will withstand an EF5... Unless it's made out of alloyed steel that's sunk about 30 feet into the ground, it's going to get obliterated.

But yeah, the photos are terrible. Saw one today of a lady hugging the body of her dead doggie they'd dug up out of the rubble, and that really fucking tore at me.

Creston

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 14:55 Creston

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 14:24 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 14:17 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo