Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 22:42 HorrorScope

Honestly we should be waking up to Balmer being fired in the morning.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 22:35 Creston

wtf_man wrote on May 21, 2013, 21:10:
Xbox One vs. PS4 Hardware

Looks like the PS4 will kick Xbox in the balls...

- DDR3 vs. DDR5
- 3 OSes using up some of the 8GB (all mostly in RAM since they are switchable) vs. 1 OS
- 1.6GHz vs. 2.0GHz (Not that big of a deal)
- Kinnect monitoring for commands and visual input (even if game not using Kinnect... it still takes CPU cycles)
- 7790 GPU vs. 7970 GPU (Rumored)

That's a spanking... which is why MS didn't reveal their hardware specs.

Not only that, but after having been very dismissive originally of the PS4 hardware, I read a designer diary by Sony's main hardware development guy, and if he wasn't blatantly lying (Which is of course always possible,) Sony really did a lot of custom work to their apparently mid-specced hardware to really try to negate some of the downsides of delays in the cache, in the bus, etc. It's not just a bog-standard PC they've built, it's definitely quite a bit more powerful than the specs would indicate.

I have no idea whether all that custom stuff worked or not, obviously, but if it did, Sony really tried hard to make the hardware friendly to work with for game devs, and to really make the machine as awesome as possible for games and gamers.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is basically saying "Gamers? Fuck those clowns. YOU CAN ORDER PIZZA THROUGH KINECT!!!"

I think we'll see a pretty big shift of the hardcore gamers from Microsoft to Sony. Not that MS will really care, as they'll just use trillion dollar marketing to get their One-box into homes, and obviously all the mouthbreathers/fanboys will gobble up whatever shit Microsoft shoves at them.

I had no interest in the new Xbox, but I was curious about their reveal. I've basically just been chuckling in disbelief all day.

Creston

20. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 22:26 Creston

Xbox One. Dismissive Wanks Five.

Creston

19. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 22:12 Cyanotetyphas

SirKnight wrote on May 21, 2013, 21:15:
Deal with it. lol

Hopefully Sony will take full advantage of this and make sure PS4 is the obvious choice. So far I'm 100% PS4, 0% Xbox and I really hope it stays that way.

F MS.

Oh man MS gives Sony so much a lead here it makes me nervous, like now Sony could feel like it can retreat a little and do something shitty. I can just see some suit calling up the Gankai dept. "Sorry guys dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, we don't need you anymore, we're fine."

Amazing job MS. "Xbox 1again- Why do you keep buying this? We're just mocking you!"

In another generation all these features will be standard in both boxes though, but we won't have to worry about that for 10 years.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

18. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 22:09 jdreyer

The Xbox One will always be listening to you, in your own home.

Not if it's unplugged when I'm not using it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 22:09 jdreyer

@WTF_MAN,

The specs are close enough. Any cross platform game is going to develop for the lower spec anyway, and you'll be hard pressed to spot the differences. It will all depend on the platform implementation, not the hardware. And so far, both implementations suck, but MS's implementation sucks more, so Sony will probably win this round without some major changes from MS.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 22:02 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2013, 20:18:
No they didn't. They're going to drop a fortune on exclusive games to ram this into the market and get people accustomed to it. And people will buy it in droves.

I wish you were wrong, but you're not. MS is going to cut their smack with Borax, but most junkies gonna shoot it up anyway.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 21:15 SirKnight

Deal with it. lol

Hopefully Sony will take full advantage of this and make sure PS4 is the obvious choice. So far I'm 100% PS4, 0% Xbox and I really hope it stays that way.

F MS.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 21:10 wtf_man

Xbox One vs. PS4 Hardware

Looks like the PS4 will kick Xbox in the balls...

- DDR3 vs. DDR5
- 3 OSes using up some of the 8GB (all mostly in RAM since they are switchable) vs. 1 OS
- 1.6GHz vs. 2.0GHz (Not that big of a deal)
- Kinnect monitoring for commands and visual input (even if game not using Kinnect... it still takes CPU cycles)
- 7790 GPU vs. 7970 GPU (Rumored)

That's a spanking... which is why MS didn't reveal their hardware specs.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 21:16.

13. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 21:03 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on May 21, 2013, 20:49:
All of the downsides of Steam without any of the benefits. The other day I gave my brother a PS3 game I didn't want anymore, with the new Shitbox One he would need to pay $60 to play it or keep me permanently logged into his console. It's a wonderful future Microsoft is proposing - rent your games but pay full price, pay for Xbox Live, pay for a cable sub to make their TV crap work and pay more for whatever else they dream up next while they ram ads down your throat.

No thanks, PS4 it is.

Obviously those that make decisions are over paid and rich. Exactly not like the majority of those who would like to buy the system. Perhaps this a system for the beautiful people.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 21:02 Ozmodan

If someone asks me I will tell them to buy a playstation 4. That always on will kill the xbox. I know lots of people who don't have internet out here in the country, very expensive for very weak dsl. Microsoft is going off the deep end. Stupid stupid business decision.  

11. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 20:59 HorrorScope

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2013, 20:18:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2013, 20:10:
Redmask wrote on May 21, 2013, 19:49:
Xbox One instantly boots from a rest state.

Glad that the consoles have finally discovered S3 Sleep.

My favorite bit so far was hearing the Giantbomb guys talk about how the audience and press were dumbfounded and that the only people clapping were MS employees in the back.

MS really, really dropped the ball on this one. With Win8 doing abysmally and now this I wouldn't be surprised if real harsh financial times will be the future of MS in the mid-term.

Xbox One may become the disappointment of the decade. Always online, blocking used sales? WTF were they thinking?? No wonder EA dropped the online pass thing to pretend to be the good guys.

No they didn't. They're going to drop a fortune on exclusive games to ram this into the market and get people accustomed to it. And people will buy it in droves.

I'm still trying to find the forum that is really pro today's announcement. Even their home forums it's thumbs down. I guess they are going for the xbox gamer that isn't socially attached to know better, lol. LOL!

10. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:57 nin

This sums it up well.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:55 Cutter

I don't know about that. I think this is going to bite MS in the ass...hard. So far Sony hasn't really said anything concrete about this sort of stuff either so who knows what they're doing. Any way you slice it I'm sure as hell not getting an Xbox with all this BS included and probably will pass on the PS4 as well.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:55 Mad Max RW

Angry Joe's barely conscious rant is hilarious.  

7. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:49 Redmask

All of the downsides of Steam without any of the benefits. The other day I gave my brother a PS3 game I didn't want anymore, with the new Shitbox One he would need to pay $60 to play it or keep me permanently logged into his console. It's a wonderful future Microsoft is proposing - rent your games but pay full price, pay for Xbox Live, pay for a cable sub to make their TV crap work and pay more for whatever else they dream up next while they ram ads down your throat.

No thanks, PS4 it is.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:45 DangerDog

People already willingly give up their personal details to Facebook so I don't think MS will have any trouble selling this to the masses, privacy concerns will go out the window.  

5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:18 Flatline

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2013, 20:10:

My favorite bit so far was hearing the Giantbomb guys talk about how the audience and press were dumbfounded and that the only people clapping were MS employees in the back.

MS really, really dropped the ball on this one. With Win8 doing abysmally and now this I wouldn't be surprised if real harsh financial times will be the future of MS in the mid-term.

Xbox One may become the disappointment of the decade. Always online, blocking used sales? WTF were they thinking?? No wonder EA dropped the online pass thing to pretend to be the good guys.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:10 ASeven

3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 20:10 nin

I get the impression MS has finally gone too far...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo