Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 18:55 HorrorScope

avianflu wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:23:
Folks, SONY will do some variation of this DRM stuff. How can you think otherwise?

SONY has doubled-back a few times now, so believe what comes out of SONY's PR staff at your own peril.

Yes they could, or they could ride the wave MS just let them have to victory.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: More Big Picture Details May 22, 2013, 18:54 HorrorScope

ASeven wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:12:
The reason this will fail will be mainly one and only one, the blocking of used games. No matter how sheep and stupid gamers are, I think this is the line they will not cross.

Correct, that was how many gamers combated high prices games. On the pc we have tons of digital competition to keep the prices inline.

40. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 09:23 avianflu

Folks, SONY will do some variation of this DRM stuff. How can you think otherwise?

SONY has doubled-back a few times now, so believe what comes out of SONY's PR staff at your own peril.

39. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 09:12 ASeven

The reason this will fail will be mainly one and only one, the blocking of used games. No matter how sheep and stupid gamers are, I think this is the line they will not cross.  

38. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 08:54 Verno

The whole DRM stuff is obnoxious and really my question is...why? It's objectively worse than what people are used to with the Xbox 360 and as usual Microsoft is giving nothing in return. Where is the offset for the customer? I'm really tired of this obnoxious company having its fucking hand out as if I'm a lottery winner and they're an over eager charity.

Why the hell should I buy their dumb console which they seem to have forgotten plays video games when they keep asking for me to make concessions on their behalf while giving nothing in return? Fuck em.

Tell your friends, tell your family, forget the Adbox One.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

37. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 06:01 SpectralMeat

I am going to camp out at the Microshaft store to be the first in line for the xbox one.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

36. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 05:30 Julio

So I wonder how many 'new' games Gamestop will be able to sell after they've been installed once by the employees when they play your 'new' game first at home?

Xflop One brings the most extreme example of spyware yet - the whole thing is one mass of spyware. Listening and video? How many of these things are going to get hacked, because there's never any holes in Microsoft security...

I'm just hoping Sony is reading the feedback, and goes the opposite way on these types of issues. If they want an 80% market share of this console generation, it's theirs for the taking.

35. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 03:19 DangerDog

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2013, 03:16:
Who gives a shit....Long live the PC!

speaking of which, looking forward to see what haswell brings to the table. might be time to build a new system this fall.

34. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 03:17 DangerDog

They always target the lower performing platform between the two consoles, this generation it was the PS3 so it looks like it'll be Microsofts turn in the barrel.  

33. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 03:16 InBlack

Who gives a shit....Long live the PC!  

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 00:17 NewMaxx

From my past comments...

First

"the console gaming industry is getting hit hard. The implication is that the big players want out, and technology is moving towards streaming and cloud gaming."

"Gaming is at its heart part of the media spectrum. It managed to escape the Sony-BMG style for a while, but it's only a matter of time now. I'm no Pachter but it doesn't take an analyst to see which way the wind blows. All the evidence is towards a commoditized future as a platform for licensing."

Second

"I think it reflects the reality of the console gaming marketplace. There is little to no growth in that segment, largely due to competition from mobile and other devices ... That is what happens in any industry once it becomes saturated and technology progresses beyond its initial role."

Third

"Simple - they're the content distribution centers ... EA will be unable to produce like all other developers (we see them dying on a daily basis, and the console industry is clearly collapsing) and will just become Origin, much like dinosaurs are today's birds."

I could go on...but the predictions are there.

31. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 23:48 HorrorScope

"We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud," reads the FAQ.

Thank you cloud, you are my hero.

30. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 23:29 HorrorScope

I want to draw you a picture.

In the future when the next XBox comes out, I have no clue to what to even call it now...

I bet their sales pitch is going to be: "Getting back to games"

29. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 23:09 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2013, 22:09:
@WTF_MAN,

The specs are close enough. Any cross platform game is going to develop for the lower spec anyway, and you'll be hard pressed to spot the differences. It will all depend on the platform implementation, not the hardware. And so far, both implementations suck, but MS's implementation sucks more, so Sony will probably win this round without some major changes from MS.

I agree that most games will probably look similar in quality... however, when developers eventually do push the hardware... the XBox will likely stutter, while the PS4 will be smooth as silk, by comparison.

DDR3 vs DDR5 for a GPU alone... look at the framerate difference in a budget card with the same GPU running DDR3 vs. DDR5. Then, if the 7790 vs. a 7970 rumor is actually true... there is no contest. Certain developers may take advantage of the PS4's hardware advantages, and we will likely see some games with better visuals on the PS4 than the Xbox One.

28. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 23:05 Redmask

They're already trying to batten down the hatches about the used game thing:

While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," a Microsoft rep said. "There have been reports of a specific time period those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be."

EVERYONE KEEP QUIET, DON'T GIVE THEM ANY DETAILS THEY'LL FORGET!

Xbox One - the number of times you can install the game.

27. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 23:03 HorrorScope

And it just don't fuckin end. Kinect 2 "The Lies Continue"

Just like all those things Kinect 1 could do, which anyone with a sense of programming knew was BS we have, the BS of Kinect 2:

oh, what a fancy new sensor the Xbox One's Kinect has. With a 1080p camera and some nonsense about photons, it's more accurate and more reliable. And it knows when you're afraid. With the big reveal today, Microsoft has demonstrated using Kinect on Xbox One to detect users' heart rate and facial expressions.

Microsoft showed Wired these fancy features and more in a demo of the new sensor.

MS didn't go into details, but one imagines that it detect heartbeats with the technique of amplifying images to exaggerate changes in your skin tone as blood rushes around.

The demo's a little shaky, though. Kinect seemed confident the host's heartrate stayed at 60bpm throughout the entire demonstration, so it's either a little imprecise or a fantastic tool for detecting robots clad in synthflesh. Or not quite ready yet. Who could say?

It's a feature obviously useful in exercise software, but imagine the possibilities of games reacting to your emotional state, playing you like a puppet and watching you dance. Valve Software has been pretty interested in that sort of biometric data for some time too.

This could dovetail nicely with another Kinect feature demoed to Wired, detecting facial expressions. By scrutinizing your face, software can detect what sort of face you're pulling--happy, neutral, and so on--as well as whether you're "engaged," if you're looking away, if your eyes or mouth are open, and so on. Again, this is a bit wonky right now, but fiendish developers could use it to pull some clever tricks.

Sounds like that flesh reading stuff, we have ourselves a new Lie Detector!

26. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 22:53 HorrorScope

Where does the bullshit start and end with this. I say it starts at the beginning and never ends:

With the Xbox One touting the ability to do so much--surf the internet, watch TV, play games--what does that mean for players who are in-game but don't want to stop to check breaking news? Apparently, the new console has that covered.

Xbox One has an auto-resume feature as part of Xbox Live that will let players pause their game, bounce out to check the latest sports score or entertainment scoop, and then continue the game from the same spot you left it. The connectivity will also let you switch between Xbox One consoles when watching a movie or playing a game. It's all tied to your Xbox Live account and saved in the cloud.

Perhaps a bit more eerie is that Xbox One will apparently learn to play as you do. Using a form of advanced artificial intelligence that MS is calling Living Games, game worlds will continue even when you are not playing. So if you decide you don't want to play any more, your friends will be able to play against your "shadow."

Just like the advanced AI of Milo? LIARS!

25. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 22:48 NegaDeath

Watch this- Microsoft's Xbox One event in under four minutes.

Just under four whole minutes? Why have those extra two minutes stolen when it can be done in a mere 1:41?

Microsoft: "So yeah, I guess it also does game stuff. You know, if your into that kinda thing"

24. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 22:43 nin

HorrorScope wrote on May 21, 2013, 22:42:
Honestly we should be waking up to Balmer being fired in the morning.

We'd never be that lucky in a million years...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: More Big Picture Details May 21, 2013, 22:42 HorrorScope

MS when you think one OS is bad enough, we got three!

Hackware

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo