Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox One Announced

Wired.com has details from Microsoft's announcement of the Xbox One, the third installment in their Xbox series of game consoles, using the name a lot of us have used for the original Xbox since the Xbox 360 was announced. The announcement seems to stress the new unit's ability to handle living room entertainment like watching movies and TV over its gaming prowess. As for games, MS touts an improved Kinect and cloud integration, and Wired infers that games will be locked to an individual console based on word that games must be installed to the hard drive and can be played without the game disc inserted. They say Microsoft has confirmed there will be a way to sell used games where they receive a cut (you can pay them a fee to install the game again on a different system) but say MS did not answer of there would be a way to sell games to be played from the disc without their intervention, but they already stated that HDD installs are mandatory, so this seems moot. They also say that the new console will not be backward compatible with games for the Xbox 360 or the Xbox 1 (1). GamesIndustry International has details on the hardware, saying it has an 8-core CPU, 8 GB of RAM, a Blu-Ray disc drive, 500 GB hard drive, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and HDMI In/Out. Word is it will launch later this year, but pricing is not being discussed yet.

View
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

149. Re: Xbox One Announced Jul 2, 2013, 17:26 MattyC

MindStalker3 wrote on May 22, 2013, 08:00:
Flatline wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:59:
MindStalker3 wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:11:
I've been debating buying a 360 for a few months now to replace my almost dead original Wii (which is only used to stream Netflix/Amazon/Hulu). This news is exciting as the prices for 360 should start dropping again.

If you intend to stream netflix or hulu (don't remember if Amazon is streamable on the 360) be prepared to spend an extra 50 bucks a year.

Streaming services are only allowed for xbox live subscribers.

Which leads me to an interesting thought. How much of this mandatory new xbox stuff is going to require a 50 dollar a year subscription? I'm waiting for Microsoft to say "fuck it, Xbox Live subscriptions are mandatory now."

I'm unimpressed with the direction they're going with. 500 gigs isn't going to be enough for mandatory installations, if migrating xbox live IDs is anything like it is today the idea of playing at a friend's house is done (Let's face it- Rock Band sold an ungodly amount of systems)...

I might actually be leaning towards PS4 this generation if I go with a console.

Thanks I forgot about the subscription cost. Isn't the Live network significantly better than the PS3s network? If I'm looking for a media hub that also plays cheap used games (PS2 used games are starting to get harder to find) would I be better off with an Xbox360 of a PS3, I currently have a Wii and a PS2 (for playing cheap used games) that are both starting to die.

Live is better, but not really massively. It was so early one, but Sony has steadily improved their online service.

The 360 does have good apps for Netflix, youtube, and Twitch, but you can't access them without an active Gold account which is pretty lame. With the PS3 you get the Bluray player which is also something to think about. Not sure if this is still true, but I didn't mind the HDDVD dying off. I managed to get the 360 player and a lot of movies for almost nothing because of that. It isn't like the movies stopped working when Microsoft gave up on HDDVD.

I think overall the 360 had a few more solid exclusives if that matters to you.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize how old this comment was until after I posted. Feel free to delete. I would, but it says I lack permission.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2013, 22:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

148. Re: Xbox One Announced May 24, 2013, 01:03 Dev

Overon wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:40:
Also no solid state drives for ps4 nor xbox one? I now that will raise the costs but come on, once you go solid state drive for your game installations, you don't ever want to go back.
What, and make it a 60gb drive instead of a 500gb one? Jeez.
Devinoch wrote on May 22, 2013, 00:34:
deqer wrote on May 22, 2013, 00:09:
lol. "Xbox One"
"<Microsoft> Looks like people have been selling used games. So, let's work off of that; let's take a cut of that by forcing users to pay us a fee for each time they want to sell their used game!"

You mean developers, right? And who wants to pay those guys? *rolleyes*
They are the ones we most often see complain about it sure... But do you really think MS is going to give them most of the activation fee here?

NKD wrote on May 21, 2013, 19:40:
Fion wrote on May 21, 2013, 19:22:
And Beamer, I'm rather surprised they even went with that big a HD. After all they make a fortune selling 60gb xbox 360 HD's for $90.

Since you can attach whatever USB 3.0 external storage to the thing and use it for anything the internal drive is used for, they probably aren't going to be making a lot off selling their own drives.
Yeah, they said the same thing about flash drives on the 360, then they ended up limiting the size and what type of stuff you could put on it so you couldn't put much on it. Have they confirmed that you can use an external drive of any type and any size to store any type of data that the internal can? Because until they do, its still likely that they will sell their own branded crap for 4 times the price.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2013, 01:16.

147. Re: Xbox One Announced May 22, 2013, 08:00 MindStalker3

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:59:
MindStalker3 wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:11:
I've been debating buying a 360 for a few months now to replace my almost dead original Wii (which is only used to stream Netflix/Amazon/Hulu). This news is exciting as the prices for 360 should start dropping again.

If you intend to stream netflix or hulu (don't remember if Amazon is streamable on the 360) be prepared to spend an extra 50 bucks a year.

Streaming services are only allowed for xbox live subscribers.

Which leads me to an interesting thought. How much of this mandatory new xbox stuff is going to require a 50 dollar a year subscription? I'm waiting for Microsoft to say "fuck it, Xbox Live subscriptions are mandatory now."

I'm unimpressed with the direction they're going with. 500 gigs isn't going to be enough for mandatory installations, if migrating xbox live IDs is anything like it is today the idea of playing at a friend's house is done (Let's face it- Rock Band sold an ungodly amount of systems)...

I might actually be leaning towards PS4 this generation if I go with a console.

Thanks I forgot about the subscription cost. Isn't the Live network significantly better than the PS3s network? If I'm looking for a media hub that also plays cheap used games (PS2 used games are starting to get harder to find) would I be better off with an Xbox360 of a PS3, I currently have a Wii and a PS2 (for playing cheap used games) that are both starting to die.

146. Re: Xbox One Announced May 22, 2013, 03:28 InBlack

Look at how many fucks im not giving!

I have a nifty blue line!

145. Re: Xbox One Announced May 22, 2013, 02:57 Prez

Yeah it's been 8 whole days since you posted in one

Heh, it seemed longer than that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

144. Re: Xbox One Announced May 22, 2013, 01:57 Creston

Prez wrote on May 21, 2013, 21:41:
Wow - haven't seen a 100-post thread in a while!

Does anyone get excited about consoles anymore? I thought it was always all about the games. That's what everyone says anyway.

It's exciting that they mirror PC architecture so closely. It should mean far better games on the PC (as well as more games on the PC) rather than the shitty ports we've been getting.

If Rockstar makes RDR2 for the Yawnbox and the PS4, there will literally be no reason for them not to port it to the PC.

As for the hardware itself, eh :-shrug-: Although the PS4 does do a lot more than its middle-of-the-road components would indicate, I doubt it's still anywhere near as powerful as my PC, so that kinda leaves me cold. The fact that it has a BluRay player is about the only thing that really interests me.

Creston

143. Re: Xbox One Announced May 22, 2013, 00:50 theglaze

NegaDeath wrote on May 21, 2013, 22:25:
Consoles have held PC gaming back so much technologically that any forward movement is most welcome.

Yeah, especially AI. It seemed like every new and well produced title had AI moments where it felt like "whoa never seen AI do that before"...half this generation has been just scripted behavior and events. But hey, Lara's hair looks great, doesn't it?

142. Re: Xbox One Announced May 22, 2013, 00:34 Devinoch

deqer wrote on May 22, 2013, 00:09:
lol. "Xbox One"
"<Microsoft> Looks like people have been selling used games. So, let's work off of that; let's take a cut of that by forcing users to pay us a fee for each time they want to sell their used game!"

You mean developers, right? And who wants to pay those guys? *rolleyes*

141. Re: Xbox One Announced May 22, 2013, 00:09 deqer

lol. "Xbox One"

"<Microsoft> Why did we call it xbox 360? We want to milk this as long as possible, and release a new xbox every year; having said that, we'll run out of numbers. Xbox 720, xbox 1080; It will quickly get to a point of stupid. So, let's reset and start at ONE! Our next xbox will be "Xbox Two"! ... "

"<Microsoft> Looks like people have been using their xbox as a media center instead of buying an actually separate media player device. So, let's use that in our next marketing campaign! 'Blu-Ray player!', 'Living room entertainment!' ... "

"<Microsoft> Let's control/track everyone by integrating it all into a cloud platform(that cannot be disabled). Yah!"

lulz

140. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 23:57 Sepharo

Why so many posts?

Quick summary of the thread?
MS basing? Indifference? Genuine excitement?

Yeah it's been 8 whole days since you posted in one

This comment was edited on May 22, 2013, 00:10.

139. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 23:11 Cutter

Wow - haven't seen a 100-post thread in a while! ;)

Geez, I know! Thanks Obama! Obviously all your fault!

Wry

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

138. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 22:26 NegaDeath

double post  

137. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 22:25 NegaDeath

Does anyone get excited about consoles anymore? I thought it was always all about the games. That's what everyone says anyway.

Even PC gamers should be excited. Consoles have held PC gaming back so much technologically that any forward movement is most welcome.

136. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 22:23 Frags4Fun

The only excitement that I have is that us PC gamers will start getting better games soon. What I mean is that the 2006 technology limitations of many of the ports will be gone and games "should" become more complex. We'll still get shitty ports because of the limitations of the controls on the consoles and because the devs won't always put as much effort into porting to the PC, but things should improve overall. I'm hoping for some better AI as well since a significant amount of PC games are console ports which had limited AI out of necessity.

135. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 21:41 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

134. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 21:37 Agent.X7

Hyatus wrote on May 21, 2013, 20:03:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:47:
The architecture of the PS3 does not allow them to run PS2 software without another set of chips.

Sony released an 80gb fat model PS3 without the Emotion Engine chips that used software emulation and worked with most games. Then Sony decided to not offer it on any later models 2 months after Xbox live started selling their classics titles.

360 IS backwards compatible with about 50% of the Xbox games IF you have a Microsoft harddrive with the emulation software on it. Again, it's because the new OS doesn't read the old software.

Yes, some games work with it. MS stopped supporting updates to backwards compatibility one month before releasing games on the "Xbox Originals" section of the store.

The 80GB PS3 that played PS2 games did not have the CPU chip from the PS2, it used software emulation, true. HOWEVER, it DID have the GPU chip from the PS2. Again, these things added cost that Sony needed to shave to be competitive. You can make it about them shafting you, but the honest truth is that the vocal minority bitched about no backwards compatibility while the money spending majority wanted a cheaper version.

I mean, PS2s are EVERYWHERE. If you really want to play your PS2 games, buy a damn PS2 for $40 and have at it. Every PS2 game in my store is $3.99.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

133. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 20:32 PropheT

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2013, 18:30:
Eh, they're not really doing that, though. Because they don't really care.

All Microsoft does is give Mountain Dew the access to a demographic, and the codes, of course. Mountain Dew wants to hit that demographic, so they do the partnership. Microsoft gives them nothing else. They don't tell them "Tony Smith, a 32 year old male, entered in 5 of your codes." At best they give back "40% of your activations came from white males age 18-25." Like TV ads, though, it's about going after a certain market more than it's about knowing the minutae. Success comes from an increase in sales.

Yes, they are doing it; I'm not even entirely sure you aren't arguing exactly the same thing as me. I said they have the marketing data available for Tony Smith (not necessarily that they feed his actual name to Pepsi) and know that his consuming Mountain Dew can be used for targeting Pepsi ads to him in the future, and feed his demographic data to advertisers as a result like you said. There's a reason there's Opt-out options on Windows 8, Windows Phones, and the Xbox for personalized advertising.

Microsoft YA advertising
Targeted ad opt-out
Adult male advertising
In-depth look at Xbox targeted advertising

You can't target ad data per-user without using trends tied to the Live account, and you can't get demographic information on ad consumption without referencing that data from the same account. Microsoft uses that either to sell the marketing data or sell targeted ad space, but the result is ultimately the same for the end user anyway.

The Kinect thing is mostly irrelevant, since they're already doing targeted advertising. Still, they did talk about doing exactly what was being suggested by people here before the Kinect launched.

Invasive targeted ads
Kinect privacy, targeted ads

Even if they aren't doing it now, I think it's pretty understandable why people might be concerned that they will if Microsoft gets their foot in the door.

132. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 20:03 Hyatus

Agent.X7 wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:47:
The architecture of the PS3 does not allow them to run PS2 software without another set of chips.

Sony released an 80gb fat model PS3 without the Emotion Engine chips that used software emulation and worked with most games. Then Sony decided to not offer it on any later models 2 months after Xbox live started selling their classics titles.

360 IS backwards compatible with about 50% of the Xbox games IF you have a Microsoft harddrive with the emulation software on it. Again, it's because the new OS doesn't read the old software.

Yes, some games work with it. MS stopped supporting updates to backwards compatibility one month before releasing games on the "Xbox Originals" section of the store.

131. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 19:52 SpectralMeat

Devinoch wrote on May 21, 2013, 19:48:
Everything at this point, on all sides, is smoke and mirrors. Until these things are in people's living rooms 6 months from now, nobody, and I do mean nobody, has any idea of the pros and cons of them. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

This

Steam: SpectralMeat

130. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 19:48 Devinoch

Pssh. Microsoft's stock went up a bunch when the PS4 announcement happened.

Everything at this point, on all sides, is smoke and mirrors. Until these things are in people's living rooms 6 months from now, nobody, and I do mean nobody, has any idea of the pros and cons of them. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo