Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide Going F2P

John Smedley's Twitter feed has a series of tweets indicating SOE is planning on making the original PlanetSide a free-to-play game, like PlanetSide 2, the sequel to the MMOFPS. They are starting out by granting anyone who has previously played either game with free PlanetSide time, and Smedley indicates this is part of the conversion from their subscription system, and suggests this will all be formally announced at some point today. Thanks Strategy Informer.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 23:26 JeffD

steam planetside 2 shouldnt be using any different servers then stand alone.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 18:04 DG

yuastnav wrote on May 21, 2013, 09:46:
Uuuh, why?
I realise that less and less people are playing Planetside 2 (at least the ones using Steam), which is a shame, but surely splitting your playerbase is not such a good idea.
I suspect your caveat there is a significant one as the steam chart doesn't correlate well with stats from their API
text

12. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 17:56 DG

Usually having a great time with PS2, though enjoyment is largely dependent upon getting into a decent squad with a decent platoon leader (find a good outfit). Does take quite a bit of time investment to get into it tho, it is so very not a game designed for consoles.  

11. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 17:08 RaZ0r!

Yeah I've had a lot of fun with PS2, and it's not P2W at all. Most everything is sidegrades and there is nothing had by real money that cannot be gained in game for free.

BUT

I'm not going to go play PlanetSide 1. LOL
It's good news for those still playing it though I believe.

10. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 14:12 yuastnav

Unfortunately Tribes is too much spam to win.
Once you are halfway decent with any spam weapon there is no incentive to get a spinfusor or mortar because you can very easily kill those guys, especially because many maps have these hug, almost flat areas.

Planetside 2 on the other hand is actually kinda fun since it is more about a team accomplishing something than it is about personal skill.

9. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 13:07 JeffD

Huh, yea im not sure the purpose of this either. I last played planet side when I discovered I had 45 days of free time to use on it like 2 weeks before planetside 2 beta was launched, and I was on it so that I could get into the beta. Unfortunately as much as my outfit was still active (lots of new faces of course) it was hard for me to play the game for long. The outdated engine was just getting tiresome, the hit collision system and projectiles that never seem to visualy hit the target.

On the other hand I quickly lost interest in planetside 2. The UI was unnecessarily complex, the cert system was even more restrictive because of classes (and harder to understand. Either have classes, or have certs, not both). Also understanding the map and objectives was more complex. I really didn't see the positive aspect of allowing the enemy to port in to your base and then shield that port in spot.

In other news, Tribes Ascend is really awesome. I just wish I had time to play it, guild wars 2 + new games kind of take it all up.

8. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 12:25 BobBob

Every MMO eventually becomes that sick, old, dying cow that is difficult to milk. They just keep trying until it tips over.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

7. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 11:44 Creston

The original Planetside is still going? And people are still PAYING for it????

Creston

6. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 11:29 jimnms

I installed PS2, but never got to try it. It was something like a 10GB download, which took all damn day. When it was finished, I didn't have the time to try it. It was a few days later when I decided to give it a try, but when I started it up it began downloading another 7GB. I let that download while went and played something else. I got caught up in whatever I was playing, so once again I didn't feel like playing by the time it finished its download. A week or so later I once again had a little time to play some MP. I fired up PS2 and now it starts downloading 8GB, so I uninstalled it.

I didn't download it through Steam, but I don't think that matters. Doesn't it use it's own updater? Does this thing receive that much patching that you end up downloading several GB each week or so?

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 10:55 ItBurn

Why spend time on this?
As far as Planetside 2 goes, I played a couple of hours and I had no fun. Huge world, but completely empty and static. Unsatisfying shooting, generic looking, feels unpolished. It felt like things were made of cardboard and that they may glitch at any time.
I know a lot of you are fans, and that's fine, continue enjoying it, but it wasn't for me. I prefer the tight feel of BF3 even if the maps are tiny compared.

4. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 10:44 StaticRandomNumber

Plus Dust 514 looks pretty darn tempting compared to Planetside, installed yesterday and looking forward to try it. Although it seems like one could easily pay a lot more than the old premium of $60 for a single game if starting to shop for stuff  

3. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 10:30 Wildone

FUCK that game. Pure pay2Pwn, if you enjoy gettin LOL'Podded with no means to fight back by all means. Then got locked out of my account, tech support was useless so I said fuck it.  

2. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 09:46 yuastnav

Uuuh, why?
I realise that less and less people are playing Planetside 2 (at least the ones using Steam), which is a shame, but surely splitting your playerbase is not such a good idea.

1. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 09:14 InBlack

Makes sense. Lol.  

I have a nifty blue line!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo