Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter

Here's a new Kickstarter from Stompy Bot Productions for Heavy Gear Assault, a revival of the Metal Gear series of mech combat games. The plan is to raise at least $800K to recreate the game "with the technology of tomorrow," which is how they describe the Unreal Engine 4 (thanks Neutronbeam). This is planned for Windows, OS X, and Linux, and there are also plans to support a subset of game features for smartphones, and there is a clear focus on e-sports support. Here's the pitch:

The world of Heavy Gear Assault is unforgiving – but so is your lust for glory. A pilot on the distant planet Terra Nova, you play the high-stakes game of competitive Gear Dueling. You earn fame and fortune by making a name for yourself on the arena floor. You stand out from the crowd by customizing the look and style of your Gear. You manage corporate sponsors, hire a support staff and fine-tune your Gear’s performance in the Gear Bay. You rise to the top, claim your position – and with every cannon shell left in your magazines, you refuse to let go.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 23, 2013, 03:56 eRe4s3r

Fair enough But I won't support full MP focus on a Kickstarter. It's just that to me, MW4 was never about Multiplayer (in fact it quite heavily sucked) but about the experience of leading a bunch of mechs through interesting missions and situations.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 13:11 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2013, 02:52:
All I ever used from MekPak3 was the Salvage Mod + the MechPak 3 mechs (Google it, modifies campaign, adds proper salvage system)

I put it into Google and got basically nothing other than a thread where someone was working on a mod and abandoned it after the functionality was apparently incorporated into the Mekpak 3.1 patch. So I guess that was a thing.

Still, I think their efforts were clearly focused on the multiplayer. Like, overwhelmingly so.

24. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 02:52 eRe4s3r

They did that because there was no way to modify the campaign scripts. I only remember the constant complaint by people that the campaign code and scripting was deadlocked and impossible to modify. Of course they did MP seeing as how that's the only thing they COULD modify, but I got MekPak3 to play the campaign with the mechs I wanted. And ONLY for that reason.

But I guess you are right...

All I ever used from MekPak3 was the Salvage Mod + the MechPak 3 mechs (Google it, modifies campaign, adds proper salvage system)

Yes I needed nearly 2 hours for that 1 sentence.. woah ,p got distracted

This comment was edited on May 22, 2013, 04:01.

23. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 01:28 Orogogus

Double post  

22. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 01:25 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2013, 00:10:
What's shocking is the guys from MekPak 3 going a FULL MP route though... you'd think they more than anyone would do proper AI/SP first.

I have no idea why you would think that based on the MekPaks. Those were first and foremost for the multiplayer. Getting the 'Mechs in SP was a kludgy affair of buying up and selling all of one of the 'Mechs that came with the game.

As far as I know MekTek never did a campaign and their bot AI only worked in multiplayer. They made multiplayer-only maps and new multiplayer gametypes. They made a replacement for the multiplayer game finder after Microsoft abandoned ZoneMatch.

Do you have them confused with someone else? Because seriously, if I had to think of a team more who would make a multiplayer-only game, it would totally be MekTek. Well, them and the teams who made Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Natural Selection, etc., but still.

21. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 22, 2013, 00:10 eRe4s3r

Don't even make me dream.. open world Mech Warrior game, maybe even with a rpg/survival/Guerilla aspect ... damn... But we'll never get it. Everyone has this pointy stick called monetization up their collective behinds, and so slightly niche genres won't ever get proper games.

What's shocking is the guys from MekPak 3 going a FULL MP route though... you'd think they more than anyone would do proper AI/SP first.

Also I want to say this, if you make a Kickstarter funded game you don't have to give a damn about how many copies you sell later.

20. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 21:35 TychoCelchuuu

I'm not donating because I don't like giving money to free to play games, generally, and I of course like everyone else would like a single player game much more, but I think you folks are being WAY too harsh on Stompy Bot. I think they probably want to make a single player game too, but that would cost too much and it wouldn't make enough money. This is why Mechwarrior 5 (remember that awesome trailer?) turned into Mechwarrior Online and this is probably why Hawken is a free to play mech deathmatch game rather than something with a single player component too.

So although I probably won't be pledging, it's not because I hate these idiots for not making what I want. I understand that it's tough to get enough money to make an expensive single player game these days - people only buy an SP game once (or they pirate it) and then you never get any more money, whereas with a free to play game you can release the beta before it's even done (hello MechWarrior Online) and start earning money right then and there. Much less risky.

19. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 17:51 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:25:
Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2013, 14:02:
Unless they are, and you're wrong. On the side of MP-only you have TF2, CS, all the MOBAs, Battlefield, plus games that might as well not exist without MP (Starcraft, Call of Duty). Whatever's bad about CoD, every tenant I've had who was in the military has had an Xbox to play CoD with his friends and/or relatives.

And on the flip side the sci-fi giant robot/spaceship genre is pretty damned niche. Freespace 2 is regarded as best in class, but was one of the big commercial flops of the PC game industry. I don't know how the Mechwarrior games have sold, but it can't be that spectacular if every single numbered title has had a different development team.

I don't really have any interest in a MP-only title, either, but the audience for SP really might not be large enough for anything other than smaller, much less ambitious games with much less than cutting-edge graphics. And, well, hilariously grandiose Kickstarters, but that one might surprise me.

And yet you have games on the horizon like GTA5, which will probably sink a quarter billion into development and be a primarily single-player game. All of the games that are attracting attention and buzz are single-player focused games: Watchdogs and assassin's creed games (yeah there's multiplayer but that's not the focus draw), Bioshock Infinite was SP only and lit the charts on fire. If we dig into the previous year there's all kinds of SP centric games that did gangbusters: Far Cry 3 lived on it's SP, as did Dishonored, as did x-com, which again had MP but was not the primary draw for the game.

There's *plenty* of market for single player games. They're just harder to make than a multiplayer centric game. With an online MP only game, you have to balance the game (which is a big enough problem for most devs). With SP, you have to balance the game AND make interesting, engaging content.

I feel everything you listed has the advantages of 1) not being niche (excepting X-COM, which was still made as friendly as possible in this iteration), and 2) releasing on consoles. I don't know if it's really true that only SP games are attracting attention and buzz; I know Blue's is a microcosm, but there's something of a anti-console faction here which won't touch any console game, won't fund Kickstarters which promise a console port, etc., which shuts down basically the entire field of single player action games.

With a game like Heavy Gear, a SP game would have a non-standard playstyle, and there might just be a really low ceiling on how many copies you're going to sell. As you said, they're harder (i.e., more expensive) to make and without making it as accessible as all those games you listed, there might not be a way to get your ROI.

There are bright spots, like Strike Suit Zero. Extremely small (13 non-branching missions, I think?), not very extravagant, and funded through Kickstarter. But people seem fickle about the "right" way to use Kickstarter. It gets you access to money that you might not be able to make in the market, including people who really are willing to spend $100 or $500 or more on their dream product, but then on the other hand it seems pretty easy to offend people. I don't think Heavy Gear has the star power needed for the giant money pitch, but Mechwarrior probably does.

18. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 17:47 Asmo

First I was "FUCK YEAH!!"

Then I was "FUCK NO!?"

Then I was just "fuck... =("

17. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 17:25 Flatline

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2013, 14:02:
Darks wrote on May 21, 2013, 12:54:
I never wish Ill will on someone trying to make a game, but I hope this one fails so they understand that gamers are not looking for MP PVP only games

Unless they are, and you're wrong. On the side of MP-only you have TF2, CS, all the MOBAs, Battlefield, plus games that might as well not exist without MP (Starcraft, Call of Duty). Whatever's bad about CoD, every tenant I've had who was in the military has had an Xbox to play CoD with his friends and/or relatives.

And on the flip side the sci-fi giant robot/spaceship genre is pretty damned niche. Freespace 2 is regarded as best in class, but was one of the big commercial flops of the PC game industry. I don't know how the Mechwarrior games have sold, but it can't be that spectacular if every single numbered title has had a different development team.

I don't really have any interest in a MP-only title, either, but the audience for SP really might not be large enough for anything other than smaller, much less ambitious games with much less than cutting-edge graphics. And, well, hilariously grandiose Kickstarters, but that one might surprise me.

And yet you have games on the horizon like GTA5, which will probably sink a quarter billion into development and be a primarily single-player game. All of the games that are attracting attention and buzz are single-player focused games: Watchdogs and assassin's creed games (yeah there's multiplayer but that's not the focus draw), Bioshock Infinite was SP only and lit the charts on fire. If we dig into the previous year there's all kinds of SP centric games that did gangbusters: Far Cry 3 lived on it's SP, as did Dishonored, as did x-com, which again had MP but was not the primary draw for the game.

There's *plenty* of market for single player games. They're just harder to make than a multiplayer centric game. With an online MP only game, you have to balance the game (which is a big enough problem for most devs). With SP, you have to balance the game AND make interesting, engaging content.

16. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 16:31 jdreyer

Just to echo the sentiments here: I have no interest in an MP only mech game. If I did, I'd already be playing Hawken or MWO, which I'm not.

Loved MW 2, 3, 4. Loved HG 2. Hell, I even played Starsiege. Of the 100s of hours in these games, I played multiplayer only one time with a buddy over LAN. The single player campaigns is what made these games so compelling (remember getting captured in MW2: Mercenaries and having to escape in a hovercraft?)

Seriously, if some of the original devs from MW 4 got together and made a studio and announced they would be making a proper mech game with full mech customization and either a single player campaign or a single player sandbox experience (a la Skyrim), they'd easily make funding the way Torment and Project Eternity did.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 14:02 Orogogus

Darks wrote on May 21, 2013, 12:54:
I never wish Ill will on someone trying to make a game, but I hope this one fails so they understand that gamers are not looking for MP PVP only games

14. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 12:54 Darks

Annex wrote on May 21, 2013, 10:03:
No single player = deal breaker, just like mechwarrior online. Nothing more than FPS shooters with mechs

Absolutely took the words out of my mouth. I was all excited up until I saw and realized that this game is nothing more then another Mech PVP game in a fricking Arena style combat. Screw this piece of shit. Just another disappointing Mech game trying to sell us on a half baked game and touting PVP only. So disappointing!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

13. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 10:58 Techie714 ©

@Beamer
Great post totally agree

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

12. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 10:29 Beamer

Techie714 © wrote on May 21, 2013, 09:50:
It seems like many of these newer games are looking to build long term revenue streams instead of a fun, kickass SP game.
  • Mechwarrior Online

• Neverwinter

• Diablo 3

• Etc. Etc.

BTW: I was far more a fan of MW than Heavy Gear it just seem to Japanese to me.

No better poster-child than APB. A giant, intricate business model, but it, like the game, was released half-baked. Most of the interesting ways they planned to make money never launched, in large part because the game itself wasn't polished to the point of being interesting.

Actually had my mom, of all people, call to me complaining about how the games she plays on her iPad now all beg for enormous amounts of money and seem designed solely for extracting as much money as possible and then telling your friends about it (she tried Candy Crush.) It was fun explaining to her that this is what's happening to "hardcore" games, too, making a fun game is coming second to making a game that extracts as much money as possible. She asked how long consumers will keep coming back, but, sadly, games tend to thrive on people 12-30, people without other real responsibilities that maybe aren't the ones spending the most but are the ones talking the most and being most passionate, and this age groups is beginning to not know what it was like to pay $40-$60 and get a complete game rather than one begging you to buy 30 coins for $12.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 10:23 Shataan

When a Dev team starts to hawk attention purely on Multiplayer only, it tells me they are either going for a quick easy money grab, or they have absolutely no clue what gamers really want these days.

We ALL hoped for a sp campaign for Mechwarrior, that had a mp component. Just.... like... all... the .... earlier.... Mechwarriors. But no sp campaign surfaced. When I 1st heard a new Heavy Gear was in the works? I hoped it would offer a sp campaign, and allow multiplayer as well. Just like HG 1 and 2.

I refuse to support mp only these days. Heck, I even got my Legendary Pack dough refunded from the MWO Devs, cause after giving it a try, I found I totally hated how they handled MWO. So I am holding out little hope that THIS HG, will be 1 I`ll wanna play.

10. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 10:03 Annex

No single player = deal breaker, just like mechwarrior online. Nothing more than FPS shooters with mechs  

9. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 09:57 InBlack

Heavy Gear I and II were fun games, although at the time I thought they were MW clones, they did their own thing quite well. Its a shame they want to go the F2P route with this game and are asking 800k to get it started. To be fair, I like their approach much more than whats been made so far with MWO, which keeps falling short on what they promised to deliver but still....Why not use KS to make a full blown single player game and charge something for it? Im assuming that their intent is just like Techie714 said, not to make a great game, but to make a great revenue stream....Fuck that.  

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 09:56 TangledThorns

I remember buying Heavy Gear and didn't play it after seeing how many damn controls it needed on the keyboard. For this new game they need to KISS.  

7. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 09:56 nin

It seems like many of these newer games are looking to build long term revenue streams instead of a fun, kickass SP game.

That's exactly what this one sounds like...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo