Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun shows the way to this teaser trailer with a mysterious blurred-out figure described like so: "In 1996 this man created a Bullfrog Masterpiece (obey). In 2013 with your help he will redefine the genre (submit). Kickstarter. June 2013." So we don't know who the developer is, what the masterpiece was, or even the genre they will redefine." The description points to a Satellite Reign website with a countdown that will conclude in 35 days, which will indeed be in June. But RPS also seems to connect the dots pretty well for us, suggesting "this man" is Mike Diskett, which would make the Syndicate Wars the "Bullfrog Masterpiece" they mention, and real-time tactics the genre they will redefine.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 21, 2013, 10:50 Ant

No! I did not like Syndicate Wars. First game for DOS was good though.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 19:46 Wowbagger_TIP

I loved Syndicate, but thought SW was a step backwards in most ways. Would love to see a new game in the vein of the original, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 17:33 Creston

Fantaz wrote on May 20, 2013, 15:50:
Kind of off-topic, but do people still play online co-op for that Syndicate first-person shooter? it's been a year since release so if you can't find another to play with then that game is pretty much dead, right? (and can be forgotten?)

MP seemed mostly dead when I checked it about seven months ago.

Creston

13. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 17:03 Cutter

As long as he doesn't have to buy or license the rights. That's just a waste of money. Otherwise just do an homage and I'm in.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 15:50 Fantaz

Kind of off-topic, but do people still play online co-op for that Syndicate first-person shooter? it's been a year since release so if you can't find another to play with then that game is pretty much dead, right? (and can be forgotten?)  

11. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 15:49 Axis

jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2013, 13:11:
If it plays like the original Syndicate with modern graphics it will be awesome.

This. No need to reinvent anything -- just add a ton of shit while sticking as much as possible to the same gameplay formula.

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 15:17 Prez

Personally I loved Syndicate Wars. It was different from Syndicate in some ways so it put off a lot of fans of the original, but I found it to be a blast.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 13:34 Wash Washburne

It's been long overdue, fingers crossed that the suck dial will be all the way down and the awesome dial will be all the way up  

8. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 13:18 Orogogus

I'm kind of curious what people liked about the original Syndicate over Syndicate Wars. I felt the later levels of Syndicate and all of American Revolt were too puzzley, with only one right solution. That was almost always either 1) take all 4 of your guys, drug them up and nuke the bad guys in exact order as they file in, or 2) Persuadertron the whole damn city so you don't have to fight anyone (a lot less of that in American Revolt, though).  

7. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 13:11 jdreyer

If it plays like the original Syndicate with modern graphics it will be awesome.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 13:01 Orogogus

I liked Syndicate Wars a lot. I can see why they went 3D; I feel like after American Revolt they'd done everything they could with the original engine. I feel like the problem was that it came out a few years too early. If it had come out a little later then it would have been 3D accelerated, it might have had online play, and it might have been more moddable. With a construction set and co-op it would have been pretty great.

Stuff I thought was good:
1. More weapons, and more defensive options; I thought Syndicate was extremely offense-heavy
2. Vehicles weren't always on rails, and more varied -- missile tanks, mechs, etc.
3. I found the Church material was reasonably interesting
4. I kind of liked how obliquely the story was presented, at least up until the space missions
5. On the balance I liked not having to fiddle around with looting dead bodies for ammunition. I felt especially in American Revolt a lot of missions had to be beaten by trial and error and knowing where to go to kill guys with Gauss guns or whatever, and less about having a solid strategy going in the first time.

Bad:
1. Unaccelerated 3D was very slow and clunky
2. Pointless deathmatch multiplayer mode...
3. ...over LAN only
4. ...using NETBIOS
5. View distance being tied to your equipped weapon was dumb. Always had carry a long range around just so I could see.
6. The economy, with the banks, was kind of dumb. But it was kind of dumb in Syndicate, too.
7. Either I was missing a supplementary instruction manual with all the background, or else the entire backstory was only available in online previews. Like, the missions tied into what I'd read on OGR, but hell if anything about Jean-Paul whosits was in the manual.
8. Also, the whole super-shield thing wasn't in my manual, either, and it was really important

On the other hand I don't have any interest in teaser trailers, so I guess I'll wait for previews to see what's up.

5. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 12:17 BobBob

The original Syndicate was cool. Syndicate Wars was terrible.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

4. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 12:01 vrok

JohnBirshire wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:51:
Syndicate Wars wasn't a masterpiece though, that game was a steaming pile of shit. And this is from someone who considers Syndicate to be his 3rd greatest game of all time, only behind Arena: The Elder Scrolls and Ultima 7.
I wouldn't say shit, but yeah, definitely much worse than the original.

3. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 11:51 JohnBirshire

Syndicate Wars wasn't a masterpiece though, that game was a steaming pile of shit. And this is from someone who considers Syndicate to be his 3rd greatest game of all time, only behind Arena: The Elder Scrolls and Ultima 7.  

2. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 11:05 nin

Provided they give a good pitch, I'm in.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Syndicate Wars Revival Kickstarter Plans? May 20, 2013, 10:52 InBlack

Cool. More Syndicate can only be a good thing.  

I have a nifty blue line!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo