Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer

A new teaser trailer on GameTrailers promotes the recently announced "reimagining" of Shadow Warrior coming from Hard Reset developer Flying Hog Studios (thanks VG247 via AGB). The cinematic clip depicts the aftermath of a bloodbath at a Japanese building, showing several dead, including the character from the first teaser image we know to be a yakuza, and another with his head lopped off, which plays into our look at a character (presumably our protagonist) carrying a pistol and a sword. The clip includes no gameplay, but does offer a new tidbit, saying the game is due in Fall 2013.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 21, 2013, 03:20 netnerd85

So, no Hard Reset 2 then?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 21, 2013, 01:58 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 13:17:
I'm playing a lot of Reus, with hyper-stylized graphics. So not immersive!

"Immersive" is the worst adjective for games.

Not really. If a game immerses you in its gameplay and/or world, then it qualifies as immersive. Seems pretty appropriate to me. Just because people incorrectly limit the term to describe realistic visuals doesn't make it a bad term.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to retain the absurd, over-the-top character of Lo Wang. This is a prequel, so he'll be a lot younger and likely more serious. Sadly, he probably won't be voiced by some white guy trying to sound like an old Asian man either.

Lo Wang was great because he was a badass ninja who also happened to be a belligerent and elderly pervert. Claims of racism are solely misplaced. It's like arguing that Duke Nukem is racist because he is the culmination of American stereotypes. If you want a genuinely racist game, play Ethnic Cleansing.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 02:13.

20. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 13:17 Beamer

I'm playing a lot of Reus, with hyper-stylized graphics. So not immersive!

"Immersive" is the worst adjective for games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 13:15 siapnar

Looks uninspired. Hopefully it turns out better than how it's being portrayed so far

Kristian Joensen wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:33:
On the contrary this has an extremely realistic style.
This does not look realistic, by any stretch of the imagination..

I have projectile dysfunction.

18. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 13:09 Marvin T. Martian

Show me real in game footage 1st, then I will be able to judge it. (ditto for Batman)
And yes I played and remember the original.

17. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 12:53 edaciousx

Kristian Joensen wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:49:
Mad Max RW wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:37:
Mad Max RW wrote on May 20, 2013, 09:27:
Looks somewhat cartoonish. Very colorful and unlike the drab browns of most shooters. There isn't much to see and I'm not all that excited about what I heard from Devolver.

Also, Shadow Warrior Classic on Steam has a page.

Team Fortress 2? That is cartoonish.
XIII? That is cartoonish.
Borderlands? Borderlands 2? Those are catoonish.

This thankfully does not have a cartoonish look with the characters sticking out like a sore thumb.

On the contrary this has an extremely realistic style. Yes it is colorful but that is certainly not the same as cartoonish.

That's why I said somewhat cartoonish. And it is. It amuses me when you take it as almost a personal attack.

HAHAHAH. Personal attack? That is so far from the truth that it is funny. I hate cartoonish graphics in games and prefer being immersed ina game world but there is nothing personal against you in that at all.

Dang, someone is a passionate person.

16. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 11:55 Mad Max RW

Whatever you say, sweetheart.  

15. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 11:49 Kristian Joensen

Mad Max RW wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:37:
Looks somewhat cartoonish. Very colorful and unlike the drab browns of most shooters. There isn't much to see and I'm not all that excited about what I heard from Devolver.

This thankfully does not have a cartoonish look with the characters sticking out like a sore thumb.

On the contrary this has an extremely realistic style. Yes it is colorful but that is certainly not the same as cartoonish.

That's why I said somewhat cartoonish. And it is. It amuses me when you take it as almost a personal attack.

HAHAHAH. Personal attack? That is so far from the truth that it is funny. I hate cartoonish graphics in games and prefer being immersed ina game world but there is nothing personal against you in that at all.

14. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 11:37 Mad Max RW

13. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 11:36 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:10:
It doesn't matter. You use another name.

And yet no one really cares enough to use another name, and there's crap-all that you can you can do about it because practically no one is around who remembers the original.

So you're right...it doesn't matter.

12. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 11:33 Kristian Joensen

11. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 11:10 ItBurn

Slashman wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:08:
ItBurn wrote on May 20, 2013, 10:31:
A "reimagining" is NOT ok. You can do that if there were several sequels, but not when there was only one game. What people want is more Shadow Warrior, not a different game. Use a different name in this case! I can understand the business decision, but this is going to do one of two things:
1- Game is bad, franchise destroyed, no Shadow Warrior sequels.
2- Game is good, you'll never see a game like the original Shadow Warrior, because this is the new style.
In summary, bad for Shadow Warrior fans.
Might still be a good game. Hard reset was OK.

I'm curious to know how many actual Shadow Warrior fans you think even exist right now. It's 16 years old and like you said, never had a sequel.

People always jump in with this idea of the fans of a nearly 20 year old game are so plentiful that it will cause a massive outrage if the game isn't identical to the original. If you asked the average gamer about Shadow Warrior, do you think they'd even remember it?

Hell I want a NOLF sequel and I doubt I'll get it because the fanbase probably isn't there. So they'd be making it for a new set of fans. And it would likely differ from the original because games have changed somewhat after a decade.

It doesn't matter. You use another name.

10. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 11:08 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on May 20, 2013, 10:31:
A "reimagining" is NOT ok. You can do that if there were several sequels, but not when there was only one game. What people want is more Shadow Warrior, not a different game. Use a different name in this case! I can understand the business decision, but this is going to do one of two things:
2- Game is good, you'll never see a game like the original Shadow Warrior, because this is the new style.

I'm curious to know how many actual Shadow Warrior fans you think even exist right now. It's 16 years old and like you said, never had a sequel.

People always jump in with this idea of the fans of a nearly 20 year old game are so plentiful that it will cause a massive outrage if the game isn't identical to the original. If you asked the average gamer about Shadow Warrior, do you think they'd even remember it?

Hell I want a NOLF sequel and I doubt I'll get it because the fanbase probably isn't there. So they'd be making it for a new set of fans. And it would likely differ from the original because games have changed somewhat after a decade.

9. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 10:31 ItBurn

8. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 10:19 Techie714

Yea, the tone seems quite serious unlike the original. However this was only 1 minute worth of cinematic...  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 10:11 Mad Max RW

Drazula wrote on May 20, 2013, 09:56:
Still have no idea why this IP was purchased. Could have built the same game without it.

Often it's cheaper to use an existing IP than to register a new one.

6. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 09:56 Drazula

Still have no idea why this IP was purchased. Could have built the same game without it.  

5. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 09:53 Wildone

No humor? Taking itself too seriously? Left me cold..  

4. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 09:49 wonkawonka

It's colorful indeed, which is a nice change.
There are lopped off heads, blood splotches everywhere, a katana and a pistol, and shuriken embedded in a door frame.
And a bad guy with a mask waiting inside the temple for the inevitable boss battle.

If it's got over the top comedy, blood baths, destructible environments, but less non-human monsters, I'm all for it. In fact a kind of single-player version of Bulletstorm without cover would be fun.

3. Re: Shadow Warrior Reboot This Fall; New Trailer May 20, 2013, 09:33 nin

I'll buy that before a remake...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo